Unity LOK: Rebirth [v0.1.8.0 Test] [The Tribe Devs]

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
I already smelled something strange :ROFLMAO:

Going back to the topic of "trying to give advice that won't be taken as criticism", I wonder if some more shading (maybe I've exaggerated it too much) would make the characters stand out more in 2D environments.

(Damn Chopolander, how can you even think of saying something like that, you only come here to discredit the designs with things that don't make sense and such).

23.gif

Mad_S

Aug 23, 2019
View attachment 1283851
[/QUOTE]

It looks quite good. I wonder though if it would look as good once animated, because each character angle is made of more than 50 independant parts, so I guess the shading would have to be applied to each part (even the invisible ones, which can become visible when the character does certain movements) in a very coherent manner to not look odd. But I'll post that to the discord so that the devs can take look.

May 31, 2018
I should have precised, I became a mod more than 6 months ago. So no coincidence here, I just come back here to post some updates, since the devs don't want to deal with this thread anymore for now.
Ah, well then, no offense. I just remember that about 4-5 months ago you said that you would not return here (to this forum), and therefore it seemed strange to me that you returned, and you are the moderator of the developers' discord more then 6 months... But come on, accidents happen, life's goes on :)

Hope everyone has a great summer :D

Mad_S

Aug 23, 2019
Ah, well then, no offense. I just remember that about 4-5 months ago you said that you would not return here (to this forum), and therefore it seemed strange to me that you returned, and you are the moderator of the developers' discord more then 6 months... But come on, accidents happen, life's goes on :)

Hope everyone has a great summer :D
Eh, I would have not returned if it wasn't for the devs asking someone to keep that thread a bit updated. But don't count on me to take part in the drama... I'll post some updates, some previews, answer questions about the project, and that's all.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: MyLittleTrolly

Mad_S

Aug 23, 2019
View attachment 1283851
[/QUOTE]

Here's Kuja's reply to your suggestion:

" the character loses a lot of shading during the new coloring process

originally, they had a more protuberant shading but some of it is removed for the sake of customization
we need to apply a color set to blending mode "multiply" above each individual part of the model
that's the reason the models are colored in pink
that process makes them lose some of their original shading
I could however, re-apply a much stronger shading before such process is done
however, that is not a priority at all
also, the image presented is a sketch and not the final model
we're still in alpha, so I'll still consider this suggestion once we have more content released(edited)
I also don't think it would take me more than a week to re-shade all character
Later on I also want to try to use dynamic light on the characters, I'm not sure yet it will be possible (again not a priority), so having them in a less contrasted form is quite useful for the test too
applying it to a static image is a thing, but applying it to an animation might be borderline insane in terms of complexity so that's a no no.

unknown.png

so yeah, maybe just a re-shading or contrast enhancement later on if I feel like it's needed for all characters(edited)
the DL is a very useful ally for 2D games

unknown (1).png

if it was automated it would be quite dope
I went a bit off-topic there lol "

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
I'm quite difficult to anger, Chopolander. You don't seem to be self aware in regards to how much you complain about the same thing that I have explained over and over. You are exceptionally negative, and it would be enough to wear anyone down. You don't seem to speak to me like I'm a human, you speak about me as though I'm some demon that stole your childhood.

Yes, it was a mistake of mine. I wanted to believe in my 3D artist's skills. I saw a lot of potential in his work, and I hate wasting potential. To this day I **know** we could have made 3D work if we had more time to put into it, but it was far too controversial, and very few people seemed to see the potential that I saw.

My anger does not come from criticism, or from my own mistakes, my anger comes from pointless repetition, that and Abelius' inability to get over himself and work with Kuja and I.

Are you blind? You literally bullied Pikant out of this thread. She doesn't come here anymore because it demoralizes her. I come here because I'm used to the internet's toxicity, but it still pisses me off to see how you people behave. There is only so much negativity someone can take, deserved or not.
Once you break into 8-directional movement and sprites with equipment/weapons that can be paper-dolled on to them, I'd totally have tried to make 3D work good. :)

Though having done this myself, I'd say you also need a good modeler and animator and programmer that is very good with locomotion components for your engine of choice. A lot of animation can go in and making 3D not look terrible is more challenging than may be expected. Going for that "cute" style is almost impossible unless you've got significant talent.

For a game about sex, I'd say 2D is the way to go. But if your game maybe just has sex as an add-on... aim for 3D if you want this level of movement for your sprites and tack in some 2D pictures and such to cover up the tremendous effort of making a decent looking 3D sex scene.

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
An additional issue with the art direction, which is just my opinion, is that the females are very anime inspired, and the males are more of a realistic inspiration.

When you put them together they don't look like they are from the same video game.

An anime style can smoothly interface with realistic "stuff" in the world, like a cel shaded anime character can totally get into a hyper realistic car and it looks acceptable, but you can't really do that with the other characters. You got to chose if you are anime or going for realism with your characters but it's tough to have both together.

good luck!

Reactions: MyLittleTrolly

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
Nothing set in stone, but the devs hope to have a release in the next few weeks if everything goes fine.
What will be in the next release? :)

Are you taking on the job of PR now? :)

I'd suggest that making a demo where your first quest was "talk to this guy" and that guy didn't exist wasn't a good choice to make and it put a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouth.

I hope the next version will tell people where it ends, at least, so nobody is left wondering if they are overlooking some aspect of the demo.

Good luck. :)

Mad_S

Aug 23, 2019
What will be in the next release? :)

Are you taking on the job of PR now? :)

I'd suggest that making a demo where your first quest was "talk to this guy" and that guy didn't exist wasn't a good choice to make and it put a sour taste in a lot of peoples' mouth.

I hope the next version will tell people where it ends, at least, so nobody is left wondering if they are overlooking some aspect of the demo.

Good luck. :)
In the next release there should be Galdryn (the guard you should find when exiting the tent at the end of the current version), the meeting with the Chieftain, a large part or even the totality of the Vanlen quest, probably the addition of a few more characters (no idea who and the extent of associated dialogues), and many bug fixes and tweaks.

As for me taking PR... yeah, you could say that? I prefere to say I'm just here to keep people informed on the project.

And yes, I agree with you that a message telling the player that he's reached the end of the available content would be nice, and could avoid some confusion.

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes