Unity LOK: Rebirth [v0.1.8.0 Test] [The Tribe Devs]

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes

searry

Aug 9, 2018
I understand that feeling, except for the last concept demo thats my feeling since 2 years toward this project. and that feels like an eternity. Question, when did the last demo come out?
i want to say about a year or so since the last demo came out

UploadGuy

Game Developer
Feb 16, 2018
They're pretty stubborn, I give them that. Vlad, mainly. Kuja just wants to draw and, without entering into the personal territory, I don't think he aims for more than passing the time.

That said, the people they've hired don't share their enthusiasm to a point of not getting paid, so my guess is that the productivity will drop proportional to the income getting lower, because they won't be able to pay as many man/hours as when the project was updated every 2-3 months at most (aka. when I was there).

The thing is, they still have around 2k patrons, but I don't think they have as many people on the top tiers as before. It's common practice to downgrade your tier when you don't see results in many months.

In short: I don't think they'll ever announce "we're stopping". They'll just keep waiting for being able to pay their mercs, as long as they're able to save up to finance those productivity bursts.

Maybe so. Milking the cow until it is dead. Seen many times on this site. You hate to see it.

Tannin00

Jul 1, 2017
At this point...
I don´t understand why games with the theme of monster girl or furry that go for RPG with 2D or 3D models always tend to throw badly (not all, but a great majority) this is already at the level of the joke of the Canadian series that don´t pass of the second season.

I just hope that before the end of the year, we can see the content of v0.8 with the new design or if it is too much to ask, they at least that if they release new content with scenes, those scenes are with other characters or elements, given to that so much waiting for the same thing but with another approach it would become something that wasn´t worth so much waiting.

Example:

° That they took out content with the daughter of the great hunter who is a dancer in the bar (I don't remember names).

° Or that they would get content from the young lizaard who had an interaction with K in the river (the only one who was a teenager or not a full adult).

°Or that they put content with some of the immense variety of wild creatures that are supposed to be on the map.

I know that I contradict myself with the position that I had for a long time, but ... the situation has already reached the point of ridicule. As it is possible that there hasn´t been a single update (even if it was of minor content or only narrative) in more than half a year and the update that there was nothing more than a rework of what a whole year was worth in itself.

I know there was the problem of reworking to return to 2d of 3d at the request of the patreons, but seriously, with the amount of people and the income they have, the fact that a new version hasn´t even been released (even if it was small) is a joke. I only hope that if the fact that it took so long to animate all or almost all the base models of the game pays off in that (except for new creature models) the game begins to update more often.

Because this project has advanced so little for the years since its first appearance is already a joke and more so when you see projects of equal or greater complexity are updated more often than this.

With nothing more to add, I unfortunately retire with low hopes for this project.

arimouse

Mar 11, 2018
So I think there is like two things at play that are both going on.

First, obviously the current game itself. It looks like they are aiming to rebuild up to 0.8 again (albeit in their own way with their own style).

Secondly is the game they talk about and what that is, which is not like 0.8 at all. It's an RPG closer to KoTOR with some sex optionally scattered in. The whole lizard village is just a first area, and you're never really enslaves or anything of that nature at all. You're also not supposed to stick around there for very long, and basically leave it behind as a sort of tutorial level I believe.

You character, who is most definitely not Krystal but can have colors like that character and you an give it any name you please, is your standard fare RPG heroine, who will explore the lands and uncover the horrible secrets of the planet, etc etc.

So I guess the question is when does the team feel like they can "escape" the constraints of 0.8 to go do the game they want to make, vs how much time will they invest trying to rebuild 0.8 when it didn't need to be at that level of detail given the direction they want to take the story in.

Aiming to recreate something you don't believe in can lead to burn out even faster, and that leads to less updates... as you see here it may seem.

They don't have to rebuild 0.8, and if it slowing them down and not something they even want to do or believe in, I would encourage them to change to what they want to do so they can be inspired and output more updates and be excited about *their project* instead of always being in the shadow of *a different project* that is no longer being worked on.

whatever4096

Mar 23, 2018
Well, let's see next month... I didn't expect that to be possible, releasing before their update with some animated CGs, but it seems it will happen after all.
Kind of going off topic and into hijack territory now, but do you have somewhere to follow your project or is it just kind of a secret right now? Like I've said before, I have no stake in this game and am just waiting to see how things play out, but maybe we'll luck out and you'll both release something decent (eventually), but I'm not gonna hold my breath.

There's been very few games I support in development primarily because of the tendency for devs (and artists) to see places like Patreon as a tip jar when people are clearly expecting to see something in return for their cash, and I've seen patrons support this nonsense when a dev says "I need to take a month or two off because I have some issue, but I'm still gonna charge you." with "That's okay, rest is important, take all the time you need, we'll keep paying you to do nothing." Try working a full time job and asking for a month of paid leave so you can sit on your ass. See how that works out. I'll pay for results, not promises.

UploadGuy

Game Developer
Feb 16, 2018
I just hope that before the end of the year, we can see the content of v0.8 with the new design or if it is too much to ask, they at least that if they release new content with scenes, those scenes are with other characters or elements, given to that so much waiting for the same thing but with another approach it would become something that wasn´t worth so much waiting.
Yeah I can almost guarantee you that they are not going to add as much work in the game as 0.8 by the end of the year. You have a better chance of McDonald's serving good food beyond the dollar menu. And as far as the design go, I still hate those robot theme park jaws all the female lizards have now.

Because this project has advanced so little for the years since its first appearance is already a joke and more so when you see projects of equal or greater complexity are updated more often than this.
I feel like they are trying, but are not competent enough to actually deliver. So while it is a joke which I do enjoy jokes, unfortunately it is being delivered by an Amy Schumer equivalent.

Last edited:

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
According to what they said, everything was done by voting. But I'm afraid that those who voted didn't give a shit about the look of the game as long as they wanted to see furry sex.

The jaws is one of those changes that I don't understand, when the anime style looked better.

But the first prize goes, no doubt, to the one who voted for the snake with the two carrots.

jireir

May 26, 2018
I have to agree about the jaws and some of the changes to the style. I think the more "anime" style worked better for the game. Currently it leans too hard into the furry-style, which might seem like a weird criticism considering what the game is about but I'd say that the previous artstyle was a bit more appealing to people who aren't into this fandom. I just have to clarify that I wouldn't mind, if not outright prefer, if the heroine was simply a human. What draws me to this game is just the concept and the story of the protagonist crash-landing on a wild planet where the natives are much less advanced and brutish in their demeanour than what she's used to and then having to survive among them while getting progressively more corrupted and losing inhibitions that she had in the civilisation, while she tries to find her place among them(don't care for any of the supernatural stuff in the history or saving the world, in all the honesty I probably preferred the very first iteration of the story where the main character was looking for a ship with the beacon and only accidentally ran into the village that got attacked by the demon-fox - the further changes that made the fox-demon the primary target were less to my liking)

Don't want to comment on any of the drama but I will just point out that I didn't mind the old game being a walking simulator where most of the important gameplay took place in the dialogue-wheel. I don't think any extensive gameplay loop is necessary for a game like this. As long as the story, dialogue and artstyle are good that's completely enough to sell the game imo. Matter of fact, a complicated gameplay might just detract from a project like this one(which was the impression I had while playing the... latest demo I think?), although it depends on what the game is actually supposed to be now. Either way in my opinion making it too complicated will only take away from it.

As for how to make the development work better - it is a tough thing to say but I think that perhaps some of the intended stuff should be removed to limit the scope? It unfortunately sounds like the only approach that could help speed up the updates.
Perhaps cutting down on the angles could be of some help? There's a tonne of games that work like platformers where you just watch the protagonist from the profile or 3/4 perspective and they move up and down while facing the same way the whole time and this changes only when they interact with some object. I personally don't mind that at all.

Having said this, I'm aware that any of these comments are most likely coming way too late as neither the art-style nor the movement system(although the former can be something to keep in mind while designing other races I suppose) can feasibly be changed at this stage of the development.

A further comment regarding the looks of the game would be about the animations. I think that the old game gave a more feminine touch to the way the protagonist moved, probably due to how her feet were placed during movement and when she stood still(this really applies to the lizard-girls as well). The raised heels gave the female characters a more appealing look even if they looked somewhat unnatural. They just look more dull posing the way they do now.

That's about it, I wish everyone luck with their respective projects and hope you do well with them.

Last edited:

Sharun

Jun 29, 2017
Since my review was deleted because it was not ok with the rules, i retract it and put it down here as my opinion.

Im countering positive reviews for what it is - nothing. 2 years after remake it got two demos, one was terrible (as predicted), the other one should have the ground for the game, you can check for yourself. Not that its bad, its just as good as nothing in the end.
I dont like reviews when there is nothing there, but i hate them when people come around and telling "all will be well" - do that after there is reason to believe so.
Building on that, i guarantee the Developers a fair and honest review, which should be high if they deliver half of what is promised. Im here anyway
1 Star out of 5 ATM

chopolander

Dec 9, 2018
A further comment regarding the looks of the game would be about the animations. I think that the old game gave a more feminine touch to the way the protagonist moved, probably due to how her feet were placed during movement and when she stood still(this really applies to the lizard-girls as well). The raised heels gave the female characters a more appealing look even if they looked somewhat unnatural. They just look more dull posing the way they do now.
Many pages back there are some images of me highlighting aspects of the character that could be improved, even highlighting the best of the old and the new design. Of course, it was my point of view, but at least it didn't focus on voting A or B, but to offer constructive criticism, which is what they complained we didn't do here.

Last edited:
May 31, 2018
The last update of the game in this thread was made 24 February, 2021, while the restart of the game itself has already taken almost 3 years. During all this time, the project has been collecting about 15-20+ thousand dollars on Patreon in month... No, of course I'm not hinting at anything ... I just outlined a few well-known facts.

But I'll be honest - even though I liked the last update of the game - I don’t think this kind of work is that expensive.

Especially because the developers of such a high class AAA+ (although I don't really understand why they measure their skills with the abbreviation of the battery type) should show much more productive work.

But maybe I just don't understand anything about development, and it's not for me to judge the experts. Well then, I apologize in advance for my message.:)

Reactions: arimouse

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
The last update of the game in this thread was made 24 February, 2021, while the restart of the game itself has already taken almost 3 years. During all this time, the project has been collecting about 15-20+ thousand dollars on Patreon in month... No, of course I'm not hinting at anything ... I just outlined a few well-known facts.
That's 90k to 120k over 6 months for.... uhhm?

Reactions: dragonsix6969
May 31, 2018
That's 90k to 120k over 6 months for.... uhhm?
Well, I found this GIF, maybe it's do cost 120K dollars? :)

I'ts really not bad gif btw, although, after checking their patreon, I get the impression that they are planning to restart the project again, since the last gif (and a few other newer posts) is quite different from the gifs (and drawing style) that they used in the last uploaded version of the game project here.

For comparison, I uploaded two GIFs, and I don't know about you, but I really get the impression that these are materials from different games.

1.60 star(s) 24 Votes