Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
If they have a varying number of secrets, I don't think it makes sense for you to have to tackle them linearly, but maybe the game just ends up designed that way?
Tackling them linearly makes them much, much easier for me to write, and many of these secrets will build upon each other anyway. You may have noticed that solving some of the current secrets will give you a new clue (and remove some of the ones you used to solve it). This is because you might need to use the secret to solve another one.

Suggestion:

Each Girl has X Secrets, which are either (S)mall, (L)arge or (D)ark.

Assign a points value to each one, say...

S = 1
L = 2
D = 3
The system you're describing is amazingly close to what I originally wrote in my design document. I ended up simplifying it for the game once I began to implement the mechanics, but that may or may not have been the right choice. What worries me the most about such a system is that it can become too complex for the player to understand what's going on. But if implemented correctly, that might not be an issue.

Reactions: Thornhill

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
yes merely a suggestion. if your charisma or persuasion skills aren't up to par and you try the skill only to fail, I thought it didn't merit having the choice there. it kind of forces the game to go a linear path; but it's unavoidable as that certain skill hasn't been boosted yet. maybe i need to play the game again :x (i only did one playthrough before I think i went through all the story arcs).
I think it's better that the option is there so we know we can get a new scene if we have more points, hiding it will only make the game more cryptic and harder

what I think Belle could do is remove those options since they are completely irrelevant for now and we have a lot of people confused and even angry about it (lol), and put it back when there is in fact something behind those choices

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
Yes, only small secrets right now. Actually, this reminds of something I'd like to hear people's opinion on. As I'm writing, I'm finding the current Small/Large/Dark secret structure to be limiting. It's weird to have each girl have exactly this amount of secrets. Right now I'm leaning towards having a system where each girl can have any number of secrets, from few to many, and that you have to deal with them in a linear order (which you would anyway with the current system). Each casting of Invade Mind would then allow you to delve deeper into the girl's secrets, unlocking more content.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this? This is the exact kind of situation where feedback is extremely useful, particularly since I haven't made up my own mind yet.
I think you are right, it makes no sense to make all girls have the same number of secrets, I even asked you about that sometime ago, about it being hard to come up with multiple secrets to every girl

obviously depending of the girl and her story she will have more secrets than others, I can't see anyone complaining about that since we are at the beginning of the story, these changes are expected

Reactions: Belle

diestormlie

May 13, 2017
Tackling them linearly makes them much, much easier for me to write, and many of these secrets will build upon each other anyway. You may have noticed that solving some of the current secrets will give you a new clue (and remove some of the ones you used to solve it). This is because you might need to use the secret to solve another one.

The system you're describing is amazingly close to what I originally wrote in my design document. I ended up simplifying it for the game once I began to implement the mechanics, but that may or may not have been the right choice. What worries me the most about such a system is that it can become too complex for the player to understand what's going on. But if implemented correctly, that might not be an issue.
I guess my main concern, really, is the the situation that may occur with 'Many Secret, Linear Path' scripting, well, non-existent if there's no deviation from the path. What I'd be really pissed off by would be 'Look, I have all these secrets I want to expose but the game won't let me'.

Alleycat_2017

Sep 1, 2017
This is somewhat tricky since there is a "soft" end to each girl's content where it's hard for me to write code that can tell that the player is done with her.

There will be achievements at some point, but I don't see any need to add them until the game is more complete.

You got me there. Quite simply, I ran out of time. I will expand upon this (and move things around) in later updates. We are by no means done with Primrose.

The tutorial is linear on the first playthrough by design, so that won't change much. I might just let the failed options lead to the game continuing with slightly different dialogue so that the choice menu doesn't appear again, but it's not a priority for me to implement right now. Thanks for the suggestion.

Yes, only small secrets right now. Actually, this reminds of something I'd like to hear people's opinion on. As I'm writing, I'm finding the current Small/Large/Dark secret structure to be limiting. It's weird to have each girl have exactly this amount of secrets. Right now I'm leaning towards having a system where each girl can have any number of secrets, from few to many, and that you have to deal with them in a linear order (which you would anyway with the current system). Each casting of Invade Mind would then allow you to delve deeper into the girl's secrets, unlocking more content.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this? This is the exact kind of situation where feedback is extremely useful, particularly since I haven't made up my own mind yet.
Multiple secrets means, in my view, that you aren't limiting the horizons of your characters and you can evolve them at will. Maybe even intertwining them if you want to thicken the plot a bit? Besides, as it stands what do players do with the characters once the three secrets are uncovered?

It depends how complex that makes your game writing and coding against the timescales you are working to. If this is a long running project then go for it. If you have a tighter deadline until completion for any reason the additional complexity in plot and implementation might impact that.

Just my take on things.

Edit: Oh yeah, it allows you to throw in additional plot twists as well ;)

senjeny

Aug 4, 2017
This has to be one of the funniest and most interesting games around, even at this early stage. Congrats to the dev. Pledged.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
I guess my main concern, really, is the the situation that may occur with 'Many Secret, Linear Path' scripting, well, non-existent if there's no deviation from the path. What I'd be really pissed off by would be 'Look, I have all these secrets I want to expose but the game won't let me'.
Yeah, that would be a problem. I might end up finding a middle route where I maybe unlock the Invade Mind sequences when key clues are in place.

Multiple secrets means, in my view, that you aren't limiting the horizons of your characters and you can evolve them at will. Maybe even intertwining them if you want to thicken the plot a bit? Besides, as it stands what do players do with the characters once the three secrets are uncovered?

It depends how complex that makes your game writing and coding against the timescales you are working to. If this is a long running project then go for it. If you have a tighter deadline until completion for any reason the additional complexity in plot and implementation might impact that.

Just my take on things.

Edit: Oh yeah, it allows you to throw in additional plot twists as well ;)
I don't have an overall deadline for this project, but I have an overall plan. Intertwining plots and plot twists are definitely part of that plan. The general idea is that the deeper secrets will have more involved clues and investigations, while the basic secrets you've already seen are pretty straightforward and can be solved by visiting a limited amount of locations. For example, you can solve Callie's small secret without visiting any location except her store. That's not going to be true for her other secrets.

This has to be one of the funniest and most interesting games around, even at this early stage. Congrats to the dev. Pledged.
Thank you! :)

xhoni spica

Donor
Aug 9, 2017
so after bj 20 crops i got from that women and after discover 3 small secrets from the girls and get back books at night from primarose house there is nothing else apart of course grope breast at night wheen daddy is drunk.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
so after bj 20 crops i got from that women and after discover 3 small secrets from the girls and get back books at night from primarose house there is nothing else apart of course grope breast at night wheen daddy is drunk.
That's pretty much it for the moment, yeah.

xhoni spica

Donor
Aug 9, 2017
That's pretty much it for the moment, yeah.
thanks for reply my question, and game is god waiting for 2 or 3 updates to see what gone add in other updates and to decide to support you game, and if is possible to add a end scene wheen we complete all in the current version and day time icon in game.

gestved

Engaged Member
Aug 18, 2017
can you help me please?
how can i up my magic, agility and other stats?
you can't yet, you can get one charisma point and three perversity points at the library reading some books after the tutorial, but you can't pass any skill checks at this point

Reactions: Cao Tai

sorrow559791

Sep 17, 2017
you can't yet, you can get one charisma point and three perversity points at the library reading some books after the tutorial, but you can't pass any skill checks at this point
ok if i reading all books in library what i must do now? just working and wait?

Decode

Aug 25, 2017
Will you implement an achievement system just like Man of the house game, So that we cant miss any events?
just my opinion :)

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Will you implement an achievement system just like Man of the house game, So that we cant miss any events?
just my opinion :)
I'm not familiar with that game, but yes, I intend to implement an achievement system as the game matures. The idea will be to encourage looking for some of the more hidden parts of the game.

Reactions: TheDecentOne
4.60 star(s) 376 Votes