RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Time limits in any game adds stress to something that is supposed to relaxing.

That being said, wouldn't a spin off game starring the pixie be amusing? After having to have been "responsible" while helping the MC it would be fun to see Belle deal with a flighty pixie sidekick while trying to complete her own quest.

apostatefarm

Jul 31, 2018
Games, time limits, and how players react to them is very interesting. I'm an old gamer and I remember how everyone lost their minds over the time limit in the original fallout, even though it was absurdly generous, and hustled to mod it out. Lots of people seem to refuse to play or don't like Majora's Mask because of the time limit even though it's a loop and the limit is the point. Even when player experience is taken into account and there's plenty of time to do everything and then some, the mere existence of a time limit seems to cause anxiety in players. I definitely feel it too, although the idea of one in this game isn't really bothersome to me. I just find it fascinating how people respond to their games telling them to hurry up and do the game.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Time limits in any game adds stress to something that is supposed to relaxing.

That being said, wouldn't a spin off game starring the pixie be amusing? After having to have been "responsible" while helping the MC it would be fun to see Belle deal with a flighty pixie sidekick while trying to complete her own quest.
I don't think games have to be anything but entertaining. The biggest crime a game can commit is be boring. If you want a stressful experience, go for it. Generally I don't like it myself though. But sometimes it's worth it.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Games, time limits, and how players react to them is very interesting. I'm an old gamer and I remember how everyone lost their minds over the time limit in the original fallout, even though it was absurdly generous, and hustled to mod it out. Lots of people seem to refuse to play or don't like Majora's Mask because of the time limit even though it's a loop and the limit is the point. Even when player experience is taken into account and there's plenty of time to do everything and then some, the mere existence of a time limit seems to cause anxiety in players. I definitely feel it too, although the idea of one in this game isn't really bothersome to me. I just find it fascinating how people respond to their games telling them to hurry up and do the game.
While I didn't lose my shit over it, I was one of the people who didn't like the time limit on either of the first two Fallouts. The second was not so bad, since once you get the GECK, it stops, but while the timer was plenty long enough for the fist game if all you wanted to do was rush through it, to truly explore the wasteland, it was not enough. But like I said in my last post on it, it all comes down to playstyle. Some people like to get through the main quest with a sense of urgency, others like to explore every corner.

goobdoob

Conversation Conqueror
Modder
Respected User
Dec 17, 2017
I was glad they patched out the time limit in the first fallout. It let me walk over every square of the overland map, looking for cool stuff.

It made sense from a story point of view, but you can't simultaneously encourage and discourage exploration.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
I was glad they patched out the time limit in the first fallout. It let me walk over every square of the overland map, looking for cool stuff.

It made sense from a story point of view, but you can't simultaneously encourage and discourage exploration.
It's been a long time since I played Fallout 1 didn't the limit stop when you found the water chip?

• Thinking Face
Reactions: TheDevian

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Maybe. I don't remember. But why make me rush to find it when you give me this world to explore?
It's true it was problem for me too for a long time. Especially since the first place you go to that you're suppose to find the chip it is not there and you have to continue your journey.

It took me months to gather enough courage to play that game lol.

Reactions: TheDevian

ogr blanc

May 15, 2019
the problem with timelimits, is that, its a challenge, and, as most challenges go, its there to force players, some are ok with it, others will despise it. generous or not, its something the player has almost no control over.

in the end, as a friend of mine like to say, diferent people enjoy the same thing in diferent ways. if every body was only allowed to enjoy things in the same way, sex would basically be, a circle of guys fucking the one in front of them, while taking up the butt from the one behind them...

Belle

Developer of Long Live the Princess
Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Time limits such as in Fallout aren't really that relevant to LLtP though. If you can't achieve your goals within the time limit in that game, you're screwed and have to start over from nothing. That's not what you're going to get here. I expect that once things are properly implemented, players are going to want to rush through their first game so that they can reach NG+, at least if they know that it exists.

It's been a long time since I played Fallout 1 didn't the limit stop when you found the water chip?
There were two time limits. The water chip limit was never patched out, and you can always see how much time you have left on your pipboy. The second time limit, which was the one that was patched out, resulted in super mutants finding your vault and killing everyone in it. This time limit was secret, so while the game mentions the issue, you wouldn't really understand the threat until it happened, and by then it was far too late. The quest for the water chip added a good kind of urgency to the game and was very generous, but the time limit before getting invaded was a bad idea from the beginning. It had to go.

TomberryDude

May 22, 2017
Time limits such as in Fallout aren't really that relevant to LLtP though. If you can't achieve your goals within the time limit in that game, you're screwed and have to start over from nothing. That's not what you're going to get here. I expect that once things are properly implemented, players are going to want to rush through their first game so that they can reach NG+, at least if they know that it exists.

There were two time limits. The water chip limit was never patched out, and you can always see how much time you have left on your pipboy. The second time limit, which was the one that was patched out, resulted in super mutants finding your vault and killing everyone in it. This time limit was secret, so while the game mentions the issue, you wouldn't really understand the threat until it happened, and by then it was far too late. The quest for the water chip added a good kind of urgency to the game and was very generous, but the time limit before getting invaded was a bad idea from the beginning. It had to go.
Oh ok, I didn't even know about that one. Thanks.

And yeah it's different but it's still scary when you go into a game and it says "you have X amount of time units to win." I know LLTP doesn't say win it says until the princess arrives but that's besides the point, which is time limits tend to be stressful and make games harder to get into.

Evangelion-01

Devoted Member
Apr 12, 2018
In the first place I don't think you should compare an Open World RPG like fallout with a Slice of life game like Long live the Princess.
An Open World RPG tends to suffer from timelimits, but a story driven game in a secluded area can actually profit from it... I had seen games when Devs tried to remove timelimits in such games only to turn them utterly boring... there is only so much you can do in these kinds of games and at some point you will have done all that... after that people get bored by either endlessly repeating some elements to pass time and search for new elements at others.
A timelimit will keep a sense of exploration of the unknown behind, there is no other urgency than to learn the control magic before day 60 in the game so all other content is pretty much optional.

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Version 0.24.0 is now out for patrons and subscribers at my and pages.

Phew, this update surprised me with how demanding it was to create. It's not a large update, but it took a lot of effort to create the renders for it. The changelog is shorter than usual, but don't let that fool you. I definitely didn't rest on my laurels for the past month.

If you played version 0.23.0, you should have a fairly good idea what you'll be doing in this one. You've finally brought Callie to the point where she might accept your advances, taking your relationship to a whole new level. It took us exactly two years to get here, but the day has arrived at last.

You'll also be able to hand in some of those panties you've been carrying around for ages, allowing Thaddeus to train your courage up to level 4.

Enjoy!

Changelog 0.24.0:
  • Added a new scene with Callie.
  • Expanded Callie's threesome scene.
  • Courage training now goes up to level 4.
  • Transition text will now stay on the screen until you click to advance.
  • Various tweaks and fixes

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018

Have to wait and see how it goes.

...beat me to it. :geek:

RustyV

Conversation Conqueror
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
the problem with timelimits, is that, its a challenge, and, as most challenges go, its there to force players, some are ok with it, others will despise it. generous or not, its something the player has almost no control over.

in the end, as a friend of mine like to say, diferent people enjoy the same thing in diferent ways. if every body was only allowed to enjoy things in the same way, sex would basically be, a circle of guys fucking the one in front of them, while taking up the butt from the one behind them...
I totally agreed with the first part of your friend's observation.
Totally lost my support with your analogy. :D

Belle

Game Developer
Sep 25, 2017
Belle
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Also, does the courage stat increase unlock anything, or is that for a future update?

Lovely update btw, can't wait for more :love:
The answer to your spoilered question was answered right there in the dialogue. Yes, you did mess up something earlier, and yes, she let you know exactly what it was. Whether or not there will be a way to "fix" things in the future remains to be seen.

The new courage level is required to access this update's content.

Edit: A few more musings about the spoilered part of your question:
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.60 star(s) 376 Votes