Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
I have to assume the new one, as I have never played this before. I didn't have to re-read anything, but some of the sections didn't make sense until i read much further. I think part of the problem was a lack of introduction, so the framing device of Skeeter explaining things got confusing for a bit. So this is really a do later problem.
The old tutorial....I miss you :'(

1643339927527.png

Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
Was this the old tutorial? It looks pretty coherent. Just call the stuff on top mana, and even more stuff is just "places to go", more stuff is just "things to do" and important stuff is fine as it is.
I wrote the first tutorial using the vaguest language possible. It wasn't an inventory button...it was 'The grey button that didn't have a cell phone on it." It only made sense if you already understood the game. Which I found hilarious...but the general public did not. And I came to the conclusion, that I wouldn't be able to tell people that asked questions to read the tutorial, because I made the tutorial incomprehensible...so I invented Skeeter as your guide.

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
I wrote the first tutorial using the vaguest language possible. It wasn't an inventory button...it was 'The grey button that didn't have a cell phone on it." It only made sense if you already understood the game. Which I found hilarious...but the general public did not. And I came to the conclusion, that I wouldn't be able to tell people that asked questions to read the tutorial, because I made the tutorial incomprehensible...so I invented Skeeter as your guide.
No one wants to learn by trial and error anymore :(

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
I have to assume the new one, as I have never played this before. I didn't have to re-read anything, but some of the sections didn't make sense until i read much further. I think part of the problem was a lack of introduction, so the framing device of Skeeter explaining things got confusing for a bit. So this is really a do later problem.
After you have played a bit and have an idea of what is going on then go back and ready the tutorial again. I did this a few times, and it would induce a moment of clarity. Suddenly something that wasn't quite sinking in was clear.

I ended up going back to the tutorial three times, and each time I learned something new.

It is just a lot to take in at first when you haven't really played the game much.

Reactions: Crichton

derede

Jan 10, 2018
After you have played a bit and have an idea of what is going on then go back and ready the tutorial again. I did this a few times, and it would induce a moment of clarity. Suddenly something that wasn't quite sinking in was clear.

I ended up going back to the tutorial three times, and each time I learned something new.

It is just a lot to take in at first when you haven't really played the game much.
I got that problem too. I read tutorial one time got into game than had to re-read 3-4 times after that. I also %100 everything on Gina and Diane before understand transformation mechanic. I don't know about new tutorial but old one wasn't good enough imo and it seems complicated.

I agree holding player hands all the time, especially in this kind game, would be absurd. But I believe many players are struggling until they understand basic mechanics; transformation mechanic and how topics work. At least there could be more hints for first AT transformation for main gals.

Reactions: SamHaim

Urruah

Jun 20, 2017
So...Is the concept of Archtype Trasformation that complex? I made it so I can't really see it from an outside perspective, but it appears relatively simple to me. Just curious, because a lot of people seem to struggle with this fundamental mechanic.
It might be good to put the tutorial or parts of it inside the game itself. A lot of people just aren't going to open the tutorial up and instead jump right into the game. This might not be the best group of people to ask, either, given that anyone that posts here regularly are the ones that already understand things and likely went out of their way to read the tutorial. Yes, new players SHOULD read it if they don't understand something, but that doesn't mean they will. I'm betting a lot of new players jump into the game, find it too complicated, get bored or frustrated and stop playing.

KIRO80

Jul 6, 2019
The tutorial is not that it is very difficult, but that some things are lost for some people and yes I know that there are other ways to understand it but thanks to the previous help it was easier for me to advance in the archetypes now I am finishing it and if I was one of those who they played it, i got lost and i left it, but from the beginning i liked the characters, before i searched the whole forum and fully understood some things, i'm just lost in aggressiveness, i can't find a way to talk to the father, not anymore the archetypes of a use appear to me.

Baal7734

Game Developer
Sep 21, 2016
I find in game tutorials annoying, so I always turn them off if able. And my history with Superpowered's in game tutorial confirms that
1. If the tutorials can't be turned off...people complain constantly about not being able to turn off the tutorials.
2. There's a large swath of players that won't read the tutorial until they need it, so having an in game tutorial is kinda pointless.
3. Even if the tutorials are targeted (i.e. you opened the character screen so here's a tutorial about the information here.) People will still skip the tutorial because they are not ready to process the information yet.

Because of those three reasons...it's better to just flat out seperate the tutorial from in game play, and have it on the side for people to reference when needed.

SamHaim

Aug 23, 2019
I got that problem too. I read tutorial one time got into game than had to re-read 3-4 times after that. I also %100 everything on Gina and Diane before understand transformation mechanic. I don't know about new tutorial but old one wasn't good enough imo and it seems complicated.

I agree holding player hands all the time, especially in this kind game, would be absurd. But I believe many players are struggling until they understand basic mechanics; transformation mechanic and how topics work. At least there could be more hints for first AT transformation for main gals.
Absolutely the same, it's very confusing for a first timer. The whole concept of archetypes went over my head initially. Spent the first few hours maxing irrelevant stats to 100% wondering why nothing changes.

Making the inventory only available in the bedroom was also super frustrating, you need a round trip of ~10 clicks if you forget to add one item to your toolbar then you also need another 6-8 clicks to cycle through the characters stat sheet if you don't remember which stats are important. This whole process needs to be streamlined to make the game more enjoyable. It needs 1 click to get to a character stat sheet, 1 click to get to the inventory.

I get around this frustration by taking screen shots of their stat sheets and put them on a second monitor but that's not really a solution for most people.

SamHaim

Aug 23, 2019
I find in game tutorials annoying, so I always turn them off if able. And my history with Superpowered's in game tutorial confirms that
1. If the tutorials can't be turned off...people complain constantly about not being able to turn off the tutorials.
2. There's a large swath of players that won't read the tutorial until they need it, so having an in game tutorial is kinda pointless.
3. Even if the tutorials are targeted (i.e. you opened the character screen so here's a tutorial about the information here.) People will still skip the tutorial because they are not ready to process the information yet.

Because of those three reasons...it's better to just flat out separate the tutorial from in game play, and have it on the side for people to reference when needed.
Usually I'm the same. It might be more user friendly to create a short video that shows the process of stat changes --> to sub-archetype changes --> major archetype changes .

SilentRunning

Feb 19, 2021
Because of those three reasons...it's better to just flat out seperate the tutorial from in game play, and have it on the side for people to reference when needed.
I agree. As I have said a bunch of times now, I had to read the tutorial 3 times. Each time I was at a different stage of the game and I was at the point where I needed to absorb a new concept. It was all there the first time, but I simply wasn't needing/ready for it all.

There is no reason to understand everything at first.

Most games that are worth playing have some sort of learning curve. As you spend more time with the game you start to need/gain a deeper understanding.

It works perfectly fine.

If people have questions they can always ask. Even if you created the most perfect tutorial ever created there would be people asking questions.

Personally, people asking questions about the game mechanics illustrates that the game is interesting and that there is something to learn.

I hope over time you will add more and more complicated options and mechanics. That is what makes Loser and Superpowered interesting. In the end these are actual games and the process of learning how it all works is part of the fun.

Briheas

Nov 21, 2021
I also had to read the tutorial multiple times, because I wasn't ready for parts of it. If I'm still learning how to increase other characters' skills, I don't need to learn about changing archetypes because I can't do that yet, and by the time I was ready to do it, I had forgotten how and had to check it again. Which isn't a bad thing. (Though being able to access it easier than having to save --> go to title --> read tutorial --> load game would be nice)

I also want to say that my favorite part of the tutorial is how the "Cultured" interest is made up of "Nascar" and "Meth".

Reactions: derede and SamHaim

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
So i'm trying to get into charlie's house, 16h, weekday. Jessie is alterna-girl. Trying to do "I'm here for you" but I'm missing the topic tag: aggressive. I brought "stocks" cuz competitive is the closest thing to aggressive I can recall. Are there any topics i'm forgetting or is this scene not ready yet?

EmperorGus

Oct 11, 2020
So i'm trying to get into charlie's house, 16h, weekday. Jessie is alterna-girl. Trying to do "I'm here for you" but I'm missing the topic tag: aggressive. I brought "stocks" cuz competitive is the closest thing to aggressive I can recall. Are there any topics i'm forgetting or is this scene not ready yet?
The skill is 'Aggression'. The sub-tags are 'Aggressive' and 'Competitive'.
Since the two words are so close to each other, Aggression and Aggressive are very easy to confuse.
You need a Topic that has the Aggressive tag.
In inventory of the save I just loaded, 'Certain Fixations' and 'Passive Aggressiveness' Topics both have the Aggressive tag you're looking for. Sadly, It's been awhile since I actually played and I don't remember where I got those. :unsure:

I do remember that 'Eye Fuck' topic you get in the bathroom with Jesse has Aggressive.
And the Loiter in the Park action (if you embrace Disorder) gives Topics with Aggressive.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Crichton

Mikey_Boy101

Nov 8, 2020
If you have level 2 Disorder you can research Crime. It can give you Rising Crime which has the Aggressive tag

Last edited:

Crichton

Aug 5, 2018
What are the influencer sister events at the party? I was able to quickly unlock clueless sister but i dont want to advance until I do all I can there.

3.00 star(s) 112 Votes