ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
Yeah, I'm honestly kicking myself for not doing that from day one. Save anywhere, at least, if not the full (amazing) unroll/reroll functionality of RenPy. But since I want to keep the savegames compatible throughtout book 1-3, trying to fix that right now would likely break all kinds of thing.

And yes, book 2 will be a darker one. Book 1 is the cheerful book of MC's school days in Edinburgh. Now Winter is Coming.
Here's my take on what happened and why I hope.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Reactions: Droid Productions
D

Deleted member 59977

I dont think I agree and here is why

Here's my take on what happened and why I hope.

Yeah, I'm honestly kicking myself for not doing that from day one. Save anywhere, at least, if not the full (amazing) unroll/reroll functionality of RenPy. But since I want to keep the savegames compatible throughtout book 1-3, trying to fix that right now would likely break all kinds of thing.

And yes, book 2 will be a darker one. Book 1 is the cheerful book of MC's school days in Edinburgh. Now Winter is Coming.
Does this mean that we wont be able to save anywhere even in book 2?

Last edited by a moderator:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Does this mean that we wont be able to save anywhere even in book 2?
It certainly means I'm not going to change the file format, and risk breaking existing savegames. There's multiple issues at work, for example how to deal with updates / patches adding in additional lines. In *theory* I can track which line you're on in a dialog and restore that, but because it uses a hash for each line, if that line disappears we're screwed. I can't just restart at the beginning of the conversation in that case, because it would still remember lines you've said, stats changed, etc. So it gets more than a little painful. If I was rebuilding it from scratch I'd do it closer to RenPy's system, and treat each script line as (similar to a text editor, ), but that's not a change you do halfway through a game.

D

Deleted member 59977

It certainly means I'm not going to change the file format, and risk breaking existing savegames. There's multiple issues at work, for example how to deal with updates / patches adding in additional lines. In *theory* I can track which line you're on in a dialog and restore that, but because it uses a hash for each line, if that line disappears we're screwed. I can't just restart at the beginning of the conversation in that case, because it would still remember lines you've said, stats changed, etc. So it gets more than a little painful. If I was rebuilding it from scratch I'd do it closer to RenPy's system, and treat each script line as (similar to a text editor, ), but that's not a change you do halfway through a game.
Disappointing I understand. I would prefer a steady stream of content over trying to fix something that already works even if it is not ideal.

Reactions: ut1stgear1

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

Okay, I got too frustrated about this in the end, so I sat down and rewrote how save/load functionality worked. You can now save in mid-conversation, while using the computer and in Elsewhere.

Limitations: you still can't save in mid-combat (there's just too many things that could go wrong), and there is no step-by-step rollback (so rolling back time by using the mousewheel). Doing that would require rewriting the scripting system, and all the scripts. So no. :)

Anyways, rolls out with tonight's beta build. Head over to Discord if you want to test:

Dajose

May 8, 2017
I think you're probably too focused on grinding; it's not really a grind-heavy game (on purpose; I hate grinding. A good example is the books, where I deliberately said that any grinding I ask you to do, I'm going to have to grind unique content for you to progress through). It's meant to encourage you to explore around a little, and there's lots of things to do scattered around the world. The main places with optional things to do is Grassmarket, Library, Starcucks, Crowley and the Bookstore (as well as in Elsewhere).

For Bella, There's a nudge to go check out the Grassmarket in the night (and there's other events that happen there). Once you've met her (which happens any day after day 20), she'll send you an email to meet her for drinks.

Once I'm done with Act V, one of the things I need to do in the closing days of Book 1 is looking at better hints and triggers for optional content.

thanks for replying tho you're doing a very good job in qualtiy content, quantity and staying in contact with us ruthless people. always good to see some guys getting the most information out of forums like these and taking it to an advantageous level and not a nuisance. Give and Take and bless you.

pstear

May 21, 2020
The beginners mistakes I made were thinking the gems in the right hand column had an effect and were not just spares , also going to the Grassmarket during the day after the Bella hint and not at night

As Droid said , once the game is working it could do with a bit of polishing , it is very professional at the moment !

The things I can think of are the gem allocation screen being centered better with spares clearly marked . Gems in use on an image of a staff or Excalibur would be nice

More text events working in the Crowley but with similar outcomes to the current ones

The Playing cards are a standard design , a medieval or Arthurian deck would give a better feel for the game

None of these are major changes to the mechanics , just better immersion in the game

Badgerlad

Mar 3, 2020

Okay, I got too frustrated about this in the end, so I sat down and rewrote how save/load functionality worked. You can now save in mid-conversation, while using the computer and in Elsewhere.

Limitations: you still can't save in mid-combat (there's just too many things that could go wrong), and there is no step-by-step rollback (so rolling back time by using the mousewheel). Doing that would require rewriting the scripting system, and all the scripts. So no. :)

Anyways, rolls out with tonight's beta build. Head over to Discord if you want to test:
Sorry to have added to the frustration by pointing it out again, but then I'm not really that sorry since I got what I wanted :p

Seriously, I absolutely love how receptive you are to feedback while still making the game you want to make.

Reactions: ut1stgear1

Grayman1977

Apr 8, 2018

Well something most game publisher dont understand is bit torrent and all sharing site is free publicity. Yes you will have those who will just play and never support you financialy some other will give you free beta feedback which is precious and some other will end up supporting you and giving you free pub on top by giving a good word around. Im pretty sure right now you realise that this site is an amazing ressources, i would make it available on torrent site because its that much easier to spread around your return will be good trust me. i suscribed btw your too amazing :D

Badgerlad

Mar 3, 2020

Since I was editing the main engine, I took some time to fix up the Quicknav interface. One of the things I added was tracking where there are active characters.
Very nice. Does it track the wandering characters / slice of life stuff as well? A handy addition either way.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Very nice. Does it track the wandering characters / slice of life stuff as well? A handy addition either way.
No; the true slice of life events are random, so they'd only show up with an X probability % (and that dice isn't thrown until you enter). I'd have had to redo the slice of life system from scratch to support it. Having said that, the only slice of life event that happens somewhere there's no people is Emily's drinks at the grassmarket. I could just move that to be a guaranteed event, it's actually quite sweet, and a shame that it's random.

Edit: done. It's now a non-recurring event, day 12+ evenings on grassmarket. Fixed :)

Last edited:

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
I must write that I welcome all these changes. During my game, I mainly trained MC to be ready for the arrival of the Outsiders, with fire on paths and with a book in a cafe. I missed most of the side scenes. With the end of the 1st book, I plan to start from the beginning, so I would welcome any help in finding the side scenes.

Badgerlad

Mar 3, 2020
No; the true slice of life events are random, so they'd only show up with an X probability % (and that dice isn't thrown until you enter). I'd have had to redo the slice of life system from scratch to support it. Having said that, the only slice of life event that happens somewhere there's no people is Emily's drinks at the grassmarket. I could just move that to be a guaranteed event, it's actually quite sweet, and a shame that it's random.

Edit: done. It's now a non-recurring event, day 12+ evenings on grassmarket. Fixed :)
Awesome! I'm on day 90-something and had no idea there even was an Emily drinks event, so now I'll have to track it down. I'm on the latest released version from here, not the beta, so it'll still be random for me, but just knowing there is something to find is good for now. I'd just been grinding Elsewhere during the day and bartending at night since the end of the current story.

PhoenixFireeye

Nov 2, 2017
I must write that I welcome all these changes. During my game, I mainly trained MC to be ready for the arrival of the Outsiders, with fire on paths and with a book in a cafe. I missed most of the side scenes. With the end of the 1st book, I plan to start from the beginning, so I would welcome any help in finding the side scenes.
You can look at my day-to-day walkthrough on the OP. It'll say what side events become available on which days. There's also a guide at the bottom of the walkthrough for the few side quest chains that are in the game.

As for the random slice of life events, one easy way to trigger them is to enter the area that they are supposed to happen, quick save then quick load. If the event doesn't start, quick load again until it does.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes