Ragnar

Super User
Respected User
Aug 5, 2016
How long that takes to write depends on real life; with Xmas Day party done, it's just two more big events left before the Book is done
So every book is a separate game or are you gonna keep adding books to the same game file?

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
So every book is a separate game or are you gonna keep adding books to the same game file?
Every book will be a separate download/exe, using the same savegames. Part of the reason I want to split it into books is so I can ditch a bunch of early assets and keep the download small. The other is so I can make reasonably drastic changes to the game without breaking early content (the big ones being the transition from Edinburgh to Camelot, and the switch from "band of rogues" D&D style combat into larger scale formations).

pstear

May 21, 2020
Every book will be a separate download/exe, using the same savegames. Part of the reason I want to split it into books is so I can ditch a bunch of early assets and keep the download small. The other is so I can make reasonably drastic changes to the game without breaking early content (the big ones being the transition from Edinburgh to Camelot, and the switch from "band of rogues" D&D style combat into larger scale formations).
Intriguing

The question must be whether a poker type mechanism is going to be kept for combat or should we expect something new

I love the poker game in its current form but do wonder whether Droid is not capable of surprising us with something else just as good .

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Intriguing

The question must be whether a poker type mechanism is going to be kept for combat or should we expect something new

I love the poker game in its current form but do wonder whether Droid is not capable of surprising us with something else just as good .
Poker remains unchanged, but I need some additional systems to represent larger scale combat.

Rock&Rule

Mar 15, 2019
Poker remains unchanged, but I need some additional systems to represent larger scale combat.
52 card pickup it is then. Double fun when you have to pick them up in time to get an aoe off. Bonus damage if you manage to lose less than 10% of them on the forest floor. :p

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
because there's Grassmarket that might increase strength. I always have to remind myself to take a shower after getting new outfits for Chloe

or StarCucks, poor Jenny worked so many unpaid nights because I wanted to read
- As soon as night-work in the bar is possible, imo best is to work then for money (75£; no Grassmarket, no shower, showers for quests ofc). Reading (mainly for STR) at starcucks in evenings. No reading in private library (gives only 1/3 INT). No gym. Money for gems is essential, stats will come in EW anyway. In free mornings always going to EW (with Bella, if available - for ingredients. Save them for flawless diamond).

- Before night-work in the bar is possible, work in the bar for money in the evening (35£; take shower after that – 10% chance for CHR, no costs). Save money. Free mornings always going to EW.

- Before going to EW is possible (day 13), bring your CHR stats up to 6 (fire3 gem), then to 12. With CHR 12 you can take Chloe with you to EW, which is quite essential. You need to bring your stats up to 20 later on, but after that there is not much need to force them up. They will increase anyway.

- Choose the 100£ + CHR option at start and do the talkings at starcucks for CHR, until you finally get 4 CHR with the last talk. Not much need for reading. Save money for gems. There are more choices where one can choose CHR instead of other stats.

That’s just from my personal experience after some dozens of playthroughs since beginning of 2020. Find the way of your liking for yourself.

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
- As soon as night-work in the bar is possible, imo best is to work then for money (75£; no Grassmarket, no shower, showers for quests ofc). Reading (mainly for STR) at starcucks in evenings. No reading in private library (gives only 1/3 INT). No gym. Money for gems is essential, stats will come in EW anyway. In free mornings always going to EW (with Bella, if available - for ingredients. Save them for flawless diamond).

- Before night-work in the bar is possible, work in the bar for money in the evening (35£; take shower after that – 10% chance for CHR, no costs). Save money. Free mornings always going to EW.

- Before going to EW is possible (day 13), bring your CHR stats up to 6 (fire3 gem), then to 12. With CHR 12 you can take Chloe with you to EW, which is quite essential. You need to bring your stats up to 20 later on, but after that there is not much need to force them up. They will increase anyway.

- Choose the 100£ + CHR option at start and do the talkings at starcucks for CHR, until you finally get 4 CHR with the last talk. Not much need for reading. Save money for gems. There are more choices where one can choose CHR instead of other stats.

That’s just from my personal experience after some dozens of playthroughs since beginning of 2020. Find the way of your liking for yourself.
Work at the bar for the events.

For cash, you are better off hunting in Elsewhere for gems, treasure, and herbs. Sell the gems once you meet the quartermaster. Taking Bella as part of the hunt really increases herb recovery; Molly and the the fox can also aid in finding fungible items but Bella seems best. Save the herbs to sell in large batches.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
Work at the bar for the events.
For cash, you are better off hunting in Elsewhere for gems, treasure, and herbs. ...
Ofc many ways work.
Hunting in EW you do anyway as much as you can (for money and EXP). Doing night-shift at the bar brings plenty of additional money.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
It's all described in the walkthrough that is linked in the OP as well.
Yes, there is a WT, as well as there is gitlab. Both are excellent, and I am just extremely happy that I can use them. But to say “It's all described in the walkthrough“ might be a bit exaggerated.

One little (but not unimportant) thing I missed was a compressed mini-guide:
“What to do best in the morning, evening, night”.
Ofc that’s very subjective and personal, just wanted to share this in the community.

The WT is extensive and shows all possible options (which is very good like it is imo), while my "miniguide" is a summing and very subjectively judged and evaluated thing (which is not part of the WT ofc ;) ).
But each will have their own preference in how to play and level i assume.
Ofc...
And a lot has to do about the situation: If I have money to burn, and nothing to do with it, ofc I will go to Grassmarket and burn it (but thats really late in the game, if at all ...)

Last edited:
Reactions: Adry Lemon

Adry Lemon

Jul 17, 2020
“What to do best in the morning, evening, night”.
That is actually in there, it's added at day3 for the start of the game and at day17

Day3:
I recommend training at the gym in the morning, working at the Crowley in the evening and going to the bar at night. This will provide money and stat increases until you gain access to Elsewhere.

Day17:
At this point, I recommend always exploring Elsewhere during the day on free roaming periods, you gain stats (when you level up) and you can find ingredients and special ingredients. Save all ingredients you find until you have 50, then trade for the flawless gem. Special ingredients are used to upgrade the bar, which in turn unlocks events that happen while working at the bar. You also earn £50 for each special ingredient you provide. After a couple of upgrades, you can work at night at the bar.

And no I didn't write it.

The guide could do with an update though, but I'm guessing that will happen once the next public release will be available (which should be the end of book1)

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
Some time ago I gave some guides about the poker play. Sadly there was not much resonance to it.
May be it was not quite understandable (sorry), or the importance was not realized.

Therefore I tried to do it again, more detailed, and – hopefully – more understandable.

Here are pictures of the Pokertable:

- This is the most profitable (but absolutely trivial) table setting 2 moves before the table closing:

o X X X o
X T T T X
X T T T X
X T T T X
o X X X o

With

o = empty
X = cards from both hands
T = cards on table.

If you can get this, then most likely you will win in the end. It’s a typical 3-3 constellation (3 horizontal, 3 vertical on the borders).

If it is your turn, just discard! (even with lots of pokers in the hand). AI will do next move (without bonus), and after that you will get 4x the bonus from the borders.

AI is excellently programmed, but against humans still silly. AI only discards, when it must (when it has not even a pair, having no sorcerer joker), but does not discard tactically to get the border bonus.

- In midgame, there is often a situation when you have the choice to put cards horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Like in the following picture (2-2):

o X X o o
X T T T X
o T T T o
X T T T X
o X X o o

Try to put your cards horizontally or vertically, preferrable not diagonally. After that, there are 2 possibilities.

First: AI will take the other horizontal or vertical option, what brings you the first picture above (3-3). You discard.

Second: AI will take one of the two diagonal possibilities. This will lead to the following (4-3):

X X X o o
X T T T X
X T T T X
X T T T X
o X X o X

With a bold X as the lastly played cards.

Next move you either take the other diagonal option (5-3, giving you 2x border bonus): AI will also get 2x border bonus.

Or you discard: If you are lucky, AI doesn’t take the diagonal option, but the vertical one (4-4). Then you take the diagonal option, getting again 2x border bonus.

The decision is dependent on the cards ofc (table, hands).

There are always exceptions: When you have a chance to hit hard with a high gem, then hit.

But border bonuses are quite valuable in most cases, specially, if you fill the borders in a profitable way during the game (like all Jokers on one side, all Kings /Hearts on the other side).

Lets say, early in the game, one diagonal is taken already:

X X X o o
X T T T X
o T T T o
o T T T o
o X X o X

Basically you would totally avoid to take vertical or diagonal, coz that would probably give the AI a double border bonus (exceptions see above).

In a 3-2 situation (like 3X horizontal, 2x vertical), go for a 3-3, avoid a 4-2.

In early games, following often happens:

X o X o o
o T T T o
o T T T o
X T T T X
o o X o X

It’s a 2-2 situation. No danger.

Now, the other diagonal option would be a good one to take, coz you get a 3-3, with a 5-3 after the AI’s move.

Taking horizontal or vertical gives a 3-2, which is not bad, but a 3-3 after your move is always preferable.

If you leave a 3-2 to the AI, you might get a back a 3-3, which is not good at all. You have to think about discarding to avoid giving it a 4-3 or (even worse) a 4-4.

A 3-3 would look like:

X o X o X
o T T T o
o T T T o
X T T T X
X o X o X

Normally, AI is not discarding. Therefore you will get back a 4-3. Which means, you have 5-3 (double bonus). AI gives back 5-4, means 5-5 (double bonus for you again).

Its not too difficult imo. Like that, you will win against a lot of really strong monsters. Go for 3-3 !

Also look at the cards of the opponent, often you can guess what he might planning.

Having some lightning gems and play them with a good timing may also help to get most of the border bonuses.

pstear

May 21, 2020
Some time ago I gave some guides about the poker play. Sadly there was not much resonance to it.
May be it was not quite understandable (sorry), or the importance was not realized.

Therefore I tried to do it again, more detailed, and – hopefully – more understandable.

Here are pictures of the Pokertable:

- This is the most profitable (but absolutely trivial) table setting 2 moves before the table closing:

o X X X o
X T T T X
X T T T X
X T T T X
o X X X o

With

o = empty
X = cards from both hands
T = cards on table.

If you can get this, then most likely you will win in the end. It’s a typical 3-3 constellation (3 horizontal, 3 vertical on the borders).

If it is your turn, just discard! (even with lots of pokers in the hand). AI will do next move (without bonus), and after that you will get 4x the bonus from the borders.

AI is excellently programmed, but against humans still silly. AI only discards, when it must (when it has not even a pair, having no sorcerer joker), but does not discard tactically to get the border bonus.

- In midgame, there is often a situation when you have the choice to put cards horizontally, vertically or diagonally. Like in the following picture (2-2):

o X X o o
X T T T X
o T T T o
X T T T X
o X X o o

Try to put your cards horizontally or vertically, preferrable not diagonally. After that, there are 2 possibilities.

First: AI will take the other horizontal or vertical option, what brings you the first picture above (3-3). You discard.

Second: AI will take one of the two diagonal possibilities. This will lead to the following (4-3):

X X X o o
X T T T X
X T T T X
X T T T X
o X X o X

With a bold X as the lastly played cards.

Next move you either take the other diagonal option (5-3, giving you 2x border bonus): AI will also get 2x border bonus.

Or you discard: If you are lucky, AI doesn’t take the diagonal option, but the vertical one (4-4). Then you take the diagonal option, getting again 2x border bonus.

The decision is dependent on the cards ofc (table, hands).

There are always exceptions: When you have a chance to hit hard with a high gem, then hit.

But border bonuses are quite valuable in most cases, specially, if you fill the borders in a profitable way during the game (like all Jokers on one side, all Kings /Hearts on the other side).

Lets say, early in the game, one diagonal is taken already:

X X X o o
X T T T X
o T T T o
o T T T o
o X X o X

Basically you would totally avoid to take vertical or diagonal, coz that would probably give the AI a double border bonus (exceptions see above).

In a 3-2 situation (like 3X horizontal, 2x vertical), go for a 3-3, avoid a 4-2.

In early games, following often happens:

X o X o o
o T T T o
o T T T o
X T T T X
o o X o X

It’s a 2-2 situation. No danger.

Now, the other diagonal option would be a good one to take, coz you get a 3-3, with a 5-3 after the AI’s move.

Taking horizontal or vertical gives a 3-2, which is not bad, but a 3-3 after your move is always preferable.

If you leave a 3-2 to the AI, you might get a back a 3-3, which is not good at all. You have to think about discarding to avoid giving it a 4-3 or (even worse) a 4-4.

A 3-3 would look like:

X o X o X
o T T T o
o T T T o
X T T T X
X o X o X

Normally, AI is not discarding. Therefore you will get back a 4-3. Which means, you have 5-3 (double bonus). AI gives back 5-4, means 5-5 (double bonus for you again).

Its not too difficult imo. Like that, you will win against a lot of really strong monsters. Go for 3-3 !

Also look at the cards of the opponent, often you can guess what he might planning.

Having some lightning gems and play them with a good timing may also help to get most of the border bonuses.
Very well thought out . Personally I do not like to discard when I can play a hand as it breaks the feel of playing against an intelligent opponent . Everyone has there own preferences . There are other options as you mentioned , like lightening gems and the one I always miss , which is looking at the opponents cards to see what they can play .

Remember the cards will break differently depending on who goes first . I tend to try and play a diagonal relatively early on the first board which seems most times to give the AI two outside rows and me two as well .I have not done as much work as you have on this .

You need to think ahead sometimes to try and make sure you have the cards at the end of the board to play . You can get in a mess if you have to discard late on as you have nothing to play , more of an issue without Chloe , Molly or Akane around .

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
Yes, Chloe is a must imo, later Molly or even both. Joker rule. Without Joker, it is difficult to get high border bonuses, or bonuses at all.
How one starts does not matter so much, as long as you discard at 3-3.

Real Kreten

Apr 10, 2020
I'm going the Lightning Molly combo. I end most battles in a state of 5-0, with 2x Flawless direct damage.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
In a previous posting I emphasized the importance of money in LoM, especially early money in early game and midgame.

There are different views on that, ofc.

LoM is very flexible fortunately: Every person can find his own play stile. And ofc it is possible to do playthroughs without caring much about money (even in hard mode). Some money for some things will come anyway.

But when one did already quite a few playthroughs, and wants to optimize the playing process on hard difficulty level, wants to hit the nasty monsters in EW asap, then optimizing money seems to be really essential imo.

I myself see the game as a possibility for a quasi “scientific research” of the optimizing process, which I did for many months and some hundred hours now.

For what do I use early money?

- As soon as I am able to buy gems in the library (Day 12):

I buy one lvl2 gem and one lvl4 gem. To have the 150£ (and more) shouldn’t be a problem at that time.

- Next: As soon I have another 250£, I buy a lvl7 gem.

- Next: As soon I have another 250£, again I buy a lvl7 gem. . . .

- Lvl8 gems are 1500£ (or 1000£) each.

Edit: It is possible to have >300£ at Day 12. Like that, a lvl7 gem for 250 is a good first choice, plus the lvl2 for 50. Lvl4 a few days later.

My main money sources:

1. (most important ofc): Going to EW (Elsewhere) every morning, if possible (many advantages besides money).

2. (also extremely important imo): Working in the bar every day, if possible:

. At least once a day. In the evenings; after night shift is possible: then at night (75£).

3. (quite important too): NO money wasting!

What is money wasting and what is not, this is really subjective.

I am fine with NOT getting drunk alone in Grassmarket at night. 10x10£ for beer is like 3 evenings work - or an early lvl4 gem. Shower at night is free. That’s good to do every night, until nightshift is possible.

If we have a close look at it, we find 2 free timeslots.

1. Mornings - until EW is possible (Day 13): Socializing at Starcucks for CHR is 5£, Gym for STR is free (1/2).

2. Evenings – after night-shift work in the bar is possible: Reading time at Starcucks for stats and events (my personal choice). Also not bad: Gym (free), or an additional shift in the bar (35£ in evenings, if money is short).

Look for the hint-system (top left screen) to not miss any events, which might be essential for the story.

Ofc if you read the WT carefully (recommended), you will find many more options.

My intention was to evaluate, compare and distinguish between (imo) optimal and suboptimal options. Ofc, other experiences may lead to other conclusions.

Last edited:
4.60 star(s) 258 Votes