Kalel7

May 21, 2017
This is absolutely my favorite game that I've found on F95, and like a previous poster said, I would still love it even if the adult content were removed.

I love the urban fantasy setting (gives me a bit of a Dresden Files vibe), the characters, and the story. Fantastic game, and I'm looking forward to the next - especially after that cliffhanger/teaser at the end of Book 1!

Gary Bertrand

Sep 30, 2017
I Think i found a bug talked to girl in coffee shop picked up black rose on act 2 no option to give to her a rose on table am i supposed to jet my char and all stats to a certin lvl

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I Think i found a bug talked to girl in coffee shop picked up black rose on act 2 no option to give to her a rose on table am i supposed to jet my char and all stats to a certin lvl
You need to get the book called "The Exquisite Art of Domination" from the book-seller, read that twice, then after you have the rose go back and read it again

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Any information about expected release date of next update ??
Testing now; but this won't be a story-heavy update. Two new events for Kath; the bulk of the work has gone into final polish and optimization, since this is the Steam Release Candidate. I've added achievements, added a new Ultra difficulty mode, given all the gems an overhaul for balancing, updated effects, etc.

Once that's done, I'm starting on Book 2.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
One of the things I've enjoyed was picking up OBS and AfterEffects to make stuff for the game. As I sit here building the release version of the game, I thought I'd share some of the videos I've made up through the last year, and talk a little about them.

One of the first things I did was start recording myself working. I've got a slightly weird workflow; the characters are rendered in DAZ, then animated in Spine, which lets me play them back at 60fps in Unity.

I do this for both the animating headshots (usually ~300 frames / expression, to stop the blinking from being too obvious) and the bodies (usually ~90 frames per idle cycle). Here's Emily, the primary LI, going through some of her emotions. Most characters have only 3-5 emotion, but Emily ended up with 15.

Here's a full timelapse of one of her outfits from DAZ->Spine->Unity->Scripting. Even with Timelapse on it ends up being quite long, so probably best for anyone especially interested in this:

I then started experimenting with Adobe After Effects (AE). Initially I used ; someone's put together a project, and you 'fill in the blanks'; in this small promo video I made for Patreon someone else had set up the 'book', and I merely filled out the pages. It was a nice way to learn about AE; the people putting together are usually masters at their craft, and as a programmer deeply out of my depth I spent a lot of time trying to decipher what was going on.

As I grew (a little) more familiar with AE, I started doing my own stuff. This started its life as an animating icon for my site, and eventually grew into the main in-game logo. It's using the free from Video Co-Pilot (those guys are pretty much a must-watch for anyone interested in AE in general).

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

As I grew a little more confident at my own AE skill I went back and tried to improve the opening days of the game. This is the Day 1 encounter that changes MC's life. (It also marked the end of my Youtube streaming days, as I picked up a Community Strike for nudity in another video).

For anyone curious about how these things are done, I also did a shot breakdown, of how the thing was built. The Adult Games Community is an interesting mix of consumers, prosumers and professionals, and a surprising number of people like these little peeks behind the curtain.

One thing that Love of Magic is quite well known for is the Game of Friends; as I have nice interactions with adult creators online, I often ask if they want to be added to the game as little snippets. They're all worth playing ;)

And with that... Love of Magic, Book 1: The Crown is complete. I'll finish building the game now (which sadly hogs my PC, or I'd be playing Cyberpunk 2077). The story continues in Book 2: The War.

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
And with that, 1.0.1 is up and the thread updated. Enjoy the complete story of Book 1: The Crown.

I now need to work out what I do, thread wise, with Book 2. New thread, continue this one, etc. Thoughts?
Congrats on everything man.

Since the thread isn't titled "The Crown" then it means you could add as much as you want onto it within the story.

So view it this way. You have a built in fanbase who may already have themselves be notified whenever there is a new post or update to the game, or you build anew in a new thread hoping everyone finds their way over. I would say to keep this thread since it does least harm.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
New thred would be good if book 2 is going to be like a new game
It'll be a separate download. I've forked the codebase (well, I'll have to port over the last minute code-fixes, and the new VFX); there's two reasons for this. One, to keep the download sizes from getting ridiculous (it's already 3GB+) and two, to stop me from accidentally breaking stuff in act 1 by adding new content in Act IX. Testing across a game that's getting quite big was becoming non-trivial.

Zenithtb

Oct 21, 2017
It'll be a separate download. I've forked the codebase (well, I'll have to port over the last minute code-fixes, and the new VFX); there's two reasons for this. One, to keep the download sizes from getting ridiculous (it's already 3GB+) and two, to stop me from accidentally breaking stuff in act 1 by adding new content in Act IX. Testing across a game that's getting quite big was becoming non-trivial.
Yeah - code ricochet - just one tiny fix here, and the whole codebase implodes...

somebodynobody

Engaged Member
May 11, 2017
I suggest when the new one comes out, just retitle the text here for the first download as "Love of Magic Chapter 1. The Crown" or something similar, then have the new downloads of the newer chapter to always sit above it, then when there is chapter 3, repeat the process, sooner or later you may have to put them in a spoiler tag but it is better than having your game across a new thread for each chapter. I don't know how many will be in the end of the day, but going by a normal book getting up to 20 plus chapters that seems like a lot of threads.

Example would be a game here "Daughter for Dessert" has 19 chapters in a single thread.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I suggest when the new one comes out, just retitle the text here for the first download as "Love of Magic Chapter 1. The Crown" or something similar, then have the new downloads of the newer chapter to always sit above it, then when there is chapter 3, repeat the process, sooner or later you may have to put them in a spoiler tag but it is better than having your game across a new thread for each chapter. I don't know how many will be in the end of the day, but going by a normal book getting up to 20 plus chapters that seems like a lot of threads.

Example would be a game here "Daughter for Dessert" has 19 chapters in a single thread.
It's planned for ~15 chapters, but only 3 books (separate EXEs); Book 1 is 6 chapters. It's not an infinite game; it has a clearly planned story-arch and ending. That was something I set down for myself at the very beginning; I didn't want to keep writing this until I grew tired of the world. The characters deserve closure, and an end to the story.

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes