Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
I just realized something, and that is that I have no idea how XP works in this game.
After you start going to Elsewhere to grind, you get to fight different tiers of enemies.
For example, Minotaur "level 3" Minotaur Knight "level 7" and Minotaur Lord "Level 9"
Sometimes I would fight a "level 3" and get 1000 XP, but then I would fight a "Level 9" and get 300 XP...
Which was a bit frustrating when I went out of my way to form a party to deal damage, get shielded and healed to face a "Level 9"
I thought that the point of those levels is the possibility of getting higher tiers of gems, but I got some of my best gems from Level 6s or Level 3s
Edit: Okay, did a bit of a push, the documents are all now cross-linked. Thank god for auto-generated documentation, I spent less time doing the 100+ items that could be auto-generated from code than I did with the 15 elements I had to tinker with by hand :)

If you check out the "Elsewhere Events tab", you'll see each monster comes with a Loot Table entry

For example:

CombatIceElementalGrunt (4% probability)
3 of diamonds (Player Level 0 to 100)
Enemy: Ice Elemental Grunt (enemy base class is IceElemental)
XP override : 400
Gives 1200XP (1 xpscale over base)
Loot table IceElemental1
Uses weapon : IceElemental1

LootTable is IceElemental1 (I should work out how to anchor sub-URLs in Markup)

IceElemental1
Cash
(36%) 20 to 200 cash
Gem (22%) Ice1
Gem (18%) Ice2
Gem (11%) Ice3
Gem (8%) Ice4
Gem (4%) Ice5
Gem (4%) Ice6

Last edited:

abagel

Apr 27, 2018
Got a new issue. Game runs fine unless I try to go to the grass market at night, prompting the introduction to Katie's cousin. After that, I simply can't click any tabs or characters except for the travel menu. Need help here. I'm attaching the save you gave me.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Got a new issue. Game runs fine unless I try to go to the grass market at night, prompting the introduction to Katie's cousin. After that, I simply can't click any tabs or characters except for the travel menu. Need help here. I'm attaching the save you gave me.

That's really weird. I've seen it reported a few times, but from your savegames there's never been any issues, and I've never seen anything like it in the hours I've spent playing.

Anyway, here's the updated savegame; I just went to the night, played through the event, then returned to the crowley. There's no errors in the log on my side. Could you pass me the log file ? (Player.log and Player-prev.log).

Reactions: DrFree

abagel

Apr 27, 2018
That's really weird. I've seen it reported a few times, but from your savegames there's never been any issues, and I've never seen anything like it in the hours I've spent playing.

Anyway, here's the updated savegame; I just went to the night, played through the event, then returned to the crowley. There's no errors in the log on my side. Could you pass me the log file ? (Player.log and Player-prev.log).
Both are in the zip file, and my most recent save with another issue, namely that Emily froze and I couldn't click on her after the argument between her and Molly in the ceremonial magic assignment.

Edit- Something rather interesting happened. I tried reloading the save after that issue, and things were clickable again. It seems that if I save and then load the moment where things are unclickable, they sometimes become normal again. I don't know why that would happen. It's a hassle but makes things playable.

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Both are in the zip file, and my most recent save with another issue, namely that Emily froze and I couldn't click on her after the argument between her and Molly in the ceremonial magic assignment.

Edit- Something rather interesting happened. I tried reloading the save after that issue, and things were clickable again. It seems that if I save and then load the moment where things are unclickable, they sometimes become normal again. I don't know why that would happen. It's a hassle but makes things playable.
Looking at your log-file, it's caused by an exception in trying to save:

Error saving C:/Users/"NAME"/AppData/LocalLow/Droid Productions/Love of Magic\start_conversation.sav with exception System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path "C:\Users\"Name"\AppData\LocalLow\Droid Productions\Love of Magic\start_conversation.sav" is denied.

Since that's called before the conversation (it's for autosave/rewind), the conversation throws an exception and fails to proceed.

There's a few things I can do. First of all, why on earth is it *failing* to write in the first place; the whole reason for writing to AppData in the first place is to have write access (something you can't guarantee if you write to a relative path, since folders like c:/program files/ require admin privileges to touch.

There's a few possible reasons:
you might want to check for that.
For example an over-zealous anti-virus program, or something else.
You can try sfc /scannow

Anyway, I'm going to go wrap this in a Try/Catch block, so at least it doesn't derail the rest of the game (though of course, losing auto-save capabilities is unwanted). I'll keep digging, thanks for the savegame!

Burt Reynolds Mustache

Modder
Donor
Game Developer
Jul 19, 2017
2nd: together with Bella (as described). Meet her at evening on street.
3rd: when you gift her the flawless gem.
Every time I find out this stuff I feel like I missed a ton in this game. Cool because it gives a reason to go back, but man I wish there was an indicator on the map to show there was something available there.

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
Every time I find out this stuff I feel like I missed a ton in this game.
;) yes there IS a ton of stuff in this game. And lots of surprises...
... but man I wish there was an indicator on the map to show there was something available there.
This is one way to do it (a very simple and easy one).
"Treasure hunting" and succeding is another one. btw. there are lots of hints in the game. One has to carefully look out ;)

PS: and all 3 events are not fixed to a special time. You can trigger them later, so you will not miss them most probably.

Edit: PPS - Droid has some really smart concepts for future updates - where to go and what to do.
So one will not miss anything. ;) Looking forward...

Last edited:

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
Act IV will be a longer one, since I have a couple of big story-line sequences I need to write and polish, as well as a girlfriend to keep happy, and a chosen to reward for a job well done.
Not to forget we will also need to take care of a fiery redhead that Burt missed a few scenes with and also which made going to Elsewhere much harder for him. :p

Last edited:

Brother Lui

Jan 15, 2019
I have just finished the 3.16 run and weird haven't found any perfect rose this time after many times in Elsewhere :unsure:.

p.s. Also I wondering if there could be an inventory to see what we sell on Chloe if it matters in the future (I don't know the plans lol )

DA22

Devoted Member
Jan 10, 2018
I have just finished the 3.16 run and weird haven't found any perfect rose this time after many times in Elsewhere :unsure:.
Chance of finding one goes down if have one in inventory if I remember right, else you had very bad RNG, that can always happen unfortunately. Chance always remaining a chance.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Chance of finding one goes down if have one in inventory if I remember right, else you had very bad RNG, that can always happen unfortunately. Chance always remaining a chance.
Yeah, only happens if there's none in the inventory, if so there's a 50/50 chance. Writing the second Black Rose event now, actually, called Hot Coffee.

Brother Lui

Jan 15, 2019
Yep I don't speak about the 2nd one, but for the 1st lol but I thought just to mention it only because in all the previous runs always acquired the 1st so it was weird and thought if it is any complication or bug :)

Muingo

Aug 16, 2019
Oh, i actually forget to report/ask two bugs/weird things.

It seemed i was unable to stack up ingredients. The most stacks i've ever got were like 3 (i guess, because thats the only talk option i had with chloe) and they seemed to vanish. Maybe after i lost a fight while exploration? is that intended? to lose ingredients you already had brought home? Is the simple answer to get good and dont die? Is there a way to see how many you have besides talking to chloe?

And maybe i missed something, but what does intelligence do besides helping you win a skillcheck here and there?

Thanks for your responses, dev! :)

Landrassa

Sep 8, 2017

It seemed i was unable to stack up ingredients. The most stacks i've ever got were like 3 (i guess, because thats the only talk option i had with chloe) and they seemed to vanish. Maybe after i lost a fight while exploration? is that intended? to lose ingredients you already had brought home? Is the simple answer to get good and dont die? Is there a way to see how many you have besides talking to chloe?

And maybe i missed something, but what does intelligence do besides helping you win a skillcheck here and there?

You can see how many ingredients you carry through the debug console (Ctrl-J, open and use at own risk obviously). There are options for turning in larger amounts of ingredients(like 10 and 50) once you have the appropriate amount.

Intelligence gives you a bonus to xp from your outings in Elsewhere(1% per point of Int to be exact).

Rolo

Jul 14, 2017
It seemed i was unable to stack up ingredients. The most stacks i've ever got were like 3 (i guess, because thats the only talk option i had with chloe) and they seemed to vanish.
You can stack up to 1, 3, 5, 10, 50. Highest is on top.
Maybe after i lost a fight while exploration? is that intended? to lose ingredients you already had brought home? Is the simple answer to get good and dont die? ...
AfaIk, you escape from EW with your booty after loosing a fight.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

No, there's no code that should do that. Let me see what's happening. The turn-in rates go up to 50.

I should really provide a way to track ingredients / special ingredients in the UI.. maybe next to the basic stats, since they're that important (in Book 1 at least).

INT has story skill-checks, Crowley working skills checks and give a +1% XP bonus gained in Elsewhere. So with int 10 (enough to beat Katie) you've got 10% additional XP.

Reactions: Muingo and Rolo

Muingo

Aug 16, 2019
No, there's no code that should do that. Let me see what's happening. The turn-in rates go up to 50.

I should really provide a way to track ingredients / special ingredients in the UI.. maybe next to the basic stats, since they're that important (in Book 1 at least).
Okay, if you cant find something i will pay attention to it in my next playthrough. But im pretty sure that i could give in 3 the one day and only 1 the other (after i died, i guess?). I will remember to make more savegames if that happens again.

Edit: And yes, some way to track it besides a console command would be great. :D

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes