Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Sorry I meant the one linked in the OP v0.3.24b.

I did run into 1 bug that I didn't hit in my previous playthrough while looking for some of the Emily content you mentioned in a new playthrough. Day 30 in Ceremonial class there is a dialog that seems messed up. Instead of a choice that makes sense it gives you a choice between something like "Day 30 dialog" and something similar, both with names that sound like variable names rather than real dialog. I didn't take a screenshot so I don't have the exact wording.
Okay, good to know. I've been so focused on the upcoming public release that to me that's always "latest" :D

I think that one's fixed, haven't seen it before. It's caused by there being two equally valid conversations, without a lead in on one of them.

raixen

Jul 31, 2019
Just one thing. I don't know if this feature has already been added since 0.3.24 but could you add the ability to change the group name too. I added a the in the front and now am getting the the royal flush as the group name. I know you can change character names but i was unable to change the group name back then.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Just one thing. I don't know if this feature has already been added since 0.3.24 but could you add the ability to change the group name too. I added a the in the front and now am getting the the royal flush as the group name. I know you can change character names but i was unable to change the group name back then.
Done already; the PC "User Management" icon now has the ability to change all player-made names (including real names, nick-names ("Master"), and group).

I usually run off play-testers savegames (someone has a repro for a bug, so I borrow their saves to fix it), and it's only so far I can go with my MC called Dickus Maximus, and the group called Sleezy Riders. It was for my sanity, not yours :)

raixen

Jul 31, 2019
Done already; the PC "User Management" icon now has the ability to change all player-made names (including real names, nick-names ("Master"), and group).

I usually run off play-testers savegames (someone has a repro for a bug, so I borrow their saves to fix it), and it's only so far I can go with my MC called Dickus Maximus, and the group called Sleezy Riders. It was for my sanity, not yours :)
Awesome. I don't follow the discord to avoid potential spoilers but glad to know I wasn't the only one who had an issue with this. And ya "the the royal flush" seems a lot better in comparison.

Reactions: Droid Productions

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Awesome. I don't follow the discord to avoid potential spoilers but glad to know I wasn't the only one who had an issue with this. And ya "the the royal flush" seems a lot better in comparison.
Public release is planned for this weekened. I've got 2 more events to do, most of the bugs are fixed, but I'm sure there's always some last minute ones :)

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Not sure if it's a bug or not, but suddenly a bunch of my memories disappeared
I've had that happen before; it probably means you should drink less.

(Non jokingly; yeah, the memories section needs some serious love. Once I'm done with this story section it's on the list of things that I need to sit down and spend real time on).

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
Yeah; I need to sort out the Royal Flush detection when you have a LOT of Jokers in the mix. It's now defaulting to 5 of a kind instead.
Not quite, at least in the (currently unreleased) versions I've played, up to and including 0.4.2. The player you responded to perhaps had it mixed up or it's different in the public release as I recall being befuddled by it initially and posted to that effect a few pages back. However, I paid very close attention to this my last playthrough especially and here is what it's currently doing:

The only way to get a Royal Flush is five Jokers. The spade A-K-Q-J and a Joker will be called a Straight Flush.

One non-Joker and four Jokers is always Five-of-a-Kind. By your house rules those should be Straight Flushes, unless the card is 10 or higher, then it ought to be a Royal Flush. Note this combination is especially common when you play with Molly and Lightning gems, it is not a rare occurrence, it is the norm.

To get a Straight Flush you need two or more cards of a Straight Flush, plus Jokers. Once you know this it doesn't much matter, just put your gems in the right spot, and a Royal Flush is still the most difficult and a Straight Flush more difficult than the lower-ranked Five-of-a-Kind in your ruleset, but it's baffling as hell until you figure it out.

Incidentally, I also encountered that rare bug where one of the slots won't accept a card. It happened maybe 3-4 times in one game where I tried to maximize Elsewhere time. Each time selecting 'Autoplay' resolved the issue; in all but one instance it was the play I was going to make anyway. The other time I took a nasty whack from an enraged Daemon-Lord, I wanted the Lightning gem on Four-of-a-Kind rather than the Poison gem on Straight Flush but it turned out I survived and didn't matter as His Nastiness was my last foe that morning.

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017

I'm going through final testing for Act IV's public release; one of the things I spent a lot of time on in this episode was integrating video into the game. Here's a shot of Emily going super-saiyan.

Video originally started out as a still shot in DAZ. Since I was bored and sipping a drink I decided to see if I could do anything with it in After Effects.

Once that started, I went back and animated her in Spine (giving the very subtle movement to her base model).
The background is a stock image from Shutterstock; I start it zoomed out fully, then pull it in to give the feeling that Emily's getting closer. I also added a Radial Blur, taking the blur value up as it zooms in.

The eyes and sword are using , a free AE plugin that's quickly become my go-to effect for magic. The eyes are masks, while the sword is a straight line.

The final result was so epic it needed some epic music to go with it; I love work, and his title totally felt like it hit the right tone. In retrospect I should have faded it at the end, though (ingame it's used with the same music, but cross-faded in engine, the actual music video is loaded without sound.

making_of_emily2.png

Raptus Puellae

Mar 23, 2020

I'm going through final testing for Act IV's public release; one of the things I spent a lot of time on in this episode was integrating video into the game. Here's a shot of Emily going super-saiyan.

Video originally started out as a still shot in DAZ. Since I was bored and sipping a drink I decided to see if I could do anything with it in After Effects.

Once that started, I went back and animated her in Spine (giving the very subtle movement to her base model).
The background is a stock image from Shutterstock; I start it zoomed out fully, then pull it in to give the feeling that Emily's getting closer. I also added a Radial Blur, taking the blur value up as it zooms in.

The eyes and sword are using , a free AE plugin that's quickly become my go-to effect for magic. The eyes are masks, while the sword is a straight line.

The final result was so epic it needed some epic music to go with it; I love work, and his title totally felt like it hit the right tone. In retrospect I should have faded it at the end, though (ingame it's used with the same music, but cross-faded in engine, the actual music video is loaded without sound.

View attachment 640112
don't they look majestic in that animation?

Brother Lui

Jan 15, 2019
If I remember well Flush Royall it is only called the one on spades ending on Ace but after searching I found this thought that the name was changing on hearts (can't really recall after 400 years) :

An ace-high straight flush, such as A♦ K♦ Q♦ J♦ 10♦, is called a royal flush or royal straight flush and is the best possible hand in high games when not using wild cards. A five-high straight flush, such as 5♥ 4♥ 3♥ 2♥ A♥, is called a steel wheel and is both the best low hand and usually the best high hand of the showdown in ace-to-five high-low split games.

p.s. LOL even in Wiki they have arguments which shape is the best as in different countries they count different shapes still the name Royall goes with the straight flush on Ace

Last edited:

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
0.4.4 is testing now for Release Candidate. I'm fixing up some final continuity stuff, and testing the various Game+ variations, but likely the final release will be in the next 20 hrs or so. Android might be a little later; there's a video rendering problem on some of the devices, and I'm trying to nail down what is happening (which is a pain since Unity doesn't want to connect to the debug interface of my phone).

Loveshanks

Mar 13, 2020
Starting in about 30 minutes (am BST, 7pm CDT) I'll be streaming ACT IV of Love of Magic!
Got a little head start on the public launch I think ;)

I've been longing for this and so excited to finally play it (feels like I've been avoiding spoilers on the Discord for so long...) and bring it to any of you who want to watch!

Come check it out at
Hope to see lots of you there!

Droid Productions

[Love of Magic]
Donor
Game Developer
Dec 30, 2017
Okay, the next public release is uploading to the Mirrors. This adds about 2 hours of additional content to the game, across optional and story events (not counting grinding Elsewhere). While it's uploading, I'm off to watch Laura stream :)

4.60 star(s) 258 Votes