S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Having great power put into you, is not the same as actually wielding and using great power for your own designs.
Being someone with power, is not the same as knowing how to use that power.
If you or I suddenly became president of our country, we would probably not have the first clue how to use the power we'd been given & it would take quite some time to learn to.
A snake knows how to uses its venom, AFAIK most predators learn to hunt from their parents. I'm not sure if biting is actually even learned. :unsure:
The MC does not know how to use a fraction of the power he's been bestowed with & there is not really anyone to teach him.

So, it seems like quite a different situation to saying a snake is not dangerous.
That that's my point, I'm saying MC should be building towards something power wise. Not just the one power. Teacher or not.
The others in this thread are saying it makes sense for MC to only have one power.
And even if take your presidential comparison, we'd sooner or later learn a lot of what we can do

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Yeah, what Master of Puppets said makes sense to me.
MC can't be taught how to use the power, he has to figure it out for himself. As he said, bit of a Hero's Journey trope.

It does make sense for him to only know how to use one power, at the moment. But if that's the only power he's ever going to be able to use, then it doesn't paint a very strong picture of the supposedly "all powerful" magic, as you say.
If he looked at what other magic users can do, such as Serena, then started training and applying his magic, it seems rather implausible that he wouldn't be able to learn new magical skills.
She might not know his magic, but she knows how to perform the spells.

Only problem is that if he learned how to perform them, then he'd still need to figure out how to actually use the magic for that purpose. I have no idea how he'd go about doing that.
But that's my point and my problem. The dev themself has commented saying they don't get why people think MC is supposed to be so powerful. The dev has said they're only going to have the one power.

That's what I was trying to argue against.

Like as it stands, and how it appears it will remain, Serena to me is far more Lunar's Chosen than we are. Her spells and abilities aren't particularly limit even without our magic cum to make things easier. We only have one power, other than magic cum which seems to exist mostly to explain a lot of the sexual content in the game.

Phoenix has two powers, firstly her namesake power, and then her ability to detect whenever we use our power. Not as expansive an array or powers or abilities as Serena, but it still feels far more than what we have.

And as others have mentioned, the phrasing of the tile we have carries implications. We are the chose one of who is in effect the goddess of magic for our world, she the goddess or everything true, but magic seems to be the big thing. One naturally assumes that the champion of a deity is going to be skilled in whatever that deity is deity of.

Also in case it needs to be said, i'm not trying to fight or bully anyone over this, or otherwise be aggressive.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
And as others have mentioned, the phrasing of the tile we have carries implications. We are the chose one of who is in effect the goddess of magic for our world, she the goddess or everything true, but magic seems to be the big thing. One naturally assumes that the champion of a deity is going to be skilled in whatever that deity is deity of.
I do get where you're coming from. Being "the chosen one" does often carry the connotation of being the ultimate embodiment of a force, whether good or evil.
I've also seen it applied to sacrificial positions.
But that's no reason to automatically assume that every use of it will be the same.
I mean, who said that he was the champion of a deity?
If people chose to assume (not presume) that, then that's on them, surely?

The title of being her "chosen", doesn't actually state what he's been chosen for, or why.
The only thing it actually states, is that she chose him, for something. It doesn't imply anything about what he's chosen for.
From what the dev has said, she chose him as an object of amusement, not as a warrior for her cause.

Last edited:
Reactions: TGafy

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017
That definitely isn't true though, we aren't "the" chosen one, we're a chosen one, and definitely not her champion or anything like that. She's given him the power for shits and giggles, not because she has any kind of task or mission for him. It's up to him what he makes of it, if anything.

Reactions: PapaPhat

PTGames

Developer of Lunar's Chosen
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 17, 2018
That definitely isn't true though, we aren't "the" chosen one, we're a chosen one, and definitely not her champion or anything like that. She's given him the power for shits and giggles, not because she has any kind of task or mission for him. It's up to him what he makes of it, if anything.
Is it though? Or is it up to Lunar what he can do?

I think one key thing no-one is thinking about is WHY Lunar chose the MC and exactly what her choosing the MC means.

DeltaDragon

May 6, 2017

I think one key thing no-one is thinking about is WHY Lunar chose the MC and exactly what her choosing the MC means.
Thinking Lunar is something of a self-rightious and capricious Goddess like questioning her would either net you a "my goals are beyond your mortal understanding" to "how dare you even think of questioning me"

PTGames

Developer of Lunar's Chosen
Donor
Respected User
Game Developer
Sep 17, 2018
Thinking Lunar is something of a self-rightious and capricious Goddess like questioning her would either net you a "my goals are beyond your mortal understanding" to "how dare you even think of questioning me"
I think any goddess who willingly puts people in danger for her own amusement, might not be quite the benevolent being people think.

Master of Puppets

Conversation Conqueror
Oct 5, 2017

What, so she might have put a block on him so that everyone except him can use his magic? That is exceptionally cruel even for a goddess that likes to paint targets on random people's backs.

Aug 31, 2019
Well, the title says that the MC is the chosen one of a goddess and both the description and the early part of the game confirms that he was chosen and he was given an extremely important gift. 95% of the time this means a power fantasy story and another 4% is about an MC who has to come to terms with being awesome. It is not unreasonable if someone were to assume this story would follow a similar path too.

But in contrary, at least as i see it, MC is basically the "weakest" member of the cast and even a lot of regular human girls like Katie are more "powerful" than he is by the sheer virtue of them being f-ing rich. If anything, his main power has been his honest, good heart, since most adversaries he faced so far have been desperate rather than evil.

Again, the way i see it, you never deceived the player or falsely advertised the story to be something it isn't, but the fact that you didn't follow an overwhelmingly common path does mean that almost every player who comes with normal and natural assumptions will have a moment when they realize that something is not going the way they thought it would. I had this moment too, i was just not active in this thread back then.

Fortunately for me, i didn't really pick up this game to see the MC using powerful magic. My favorite part by far has been the bowling party because it was just fun, connected a lot of characters (pun intended) and gave me a small but optional challenge to figure out who is who without being forceful about it. Creative and funny magical shenanigans can usually win me over and this helped me out a lot when it came to rewiring my expectations.
But almost any game with magic, have MC ultrapowerful, let's enjoy game

Feb 29, 2020
I love the game. I will say however that if the hints button could be put on the top of the map screen I'd instantly go up a subscribestar tier.

3.90 star(s) 87 Votes