RaBuddy

allegedly
Game Developer
Oct 20, 2020
The shame tag made me panic for a second. Take care of yourself -- Smoke Mob Games.

Okay, I need to learn more about this dev. :p

Antoon

May 13, 2018
Uhm on patron dev states that the game is:

"

First of all, I can't stress this enough, but MW is NEVER going to be abandoned. Being a game dev is my lifelong dream. I've got the opportu"

The rest is behind a paywall, shouldn't this be tagged as Onhold?

dolfe67

Forum Fanatic
Apr 25, 2020
Apparently, since he doesn't make monthly wallpapers (or is not "big" enough), only an update will untag it abandoned (I already reported it to no avail)

• Haha
Reactions: B2B2 and Mograx

Antoon

May 13, 2018
Apparently, since he doesn't make monthly wallpapers (or is not "big" enough), only an update will untag it abandoned (I already reported it to no avail)
Oh well, thanks for reporting. Let's hope the dev will resolve the issue with a new update!

Englen

Mar 17, 2019
ar_day22 (1).png 1.png

Hey there, fellas - I hope you're all safe. I bring news.

(Before we start, if this post is barely readable, it's because I'm sleepy as hell.)

90-90 rule.

Roughly two months ago, I got done with the majority of the content for Chapter 4, including a lot of its code. When asked, I replied that there was only "ten percent" left before the full release. Two months later, now that I'm in the assembling phase (putting renders together, writing code, doing sound, etc) I realize how much I missed. I've put more work in this last 10% than all of the previous 10 months combined.

I had relationships I needed to develop in this chapter that I didn't even write before the assembling phase, so I had to make two extra scenes at the last minute, which means two more paths to write in the code and two extra batches of rendering to do, meaning waaaay extra work. But that's done, now.

The thing that's got me really frustrated lately is that I had the next release sitting at 90%, and just like every other release I've put out in the past two years, I got really hyped to finally be done with this chapter and start working on the next. So I did what I always do and went full steam to finish the last mile...and I kept going...and going...and I can't seem to finish. At every corner, I find stuff that needs doing, and every time I get one thing done, two more take its place. It's easy to get demotivated to keep going at it full-time like I've been doing in the past two months. It's one thing to fight against my hardware, but now I gotta fight against myself, too? Stuff got difficult.

One thing that really brightened everything for me was coming across something called the "90-90" rule. I don't remember how exactly I stumbled across this (I think I was watching some Unreal Engine videos), but it dictates the following:
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of development time.

It really reassured me to know that even though the task at hand is difficult, it has nothing to do with a lack of ability or effort. It's something rather common that could happen to anyone. It really got rid of some of the stress I've been building up and it's refreshing to see I'm not as bad of a developer as I thought.

Chapter 4 makes up for 35% of the whole game. Even though it's been the most difficult chapter to work on and it has undoubtedly taken its toll on me, I am certain that I'll come out of this as a beast, and I see myself having a much easier time raising the bar in the future. In the words of the mighty Fiona Westley, "Iron is forged in fire, and shaped by beating the shit out of it".

version.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but I put my game up on to bring my story to a broader audience. Mad World is freeware, it's intended as such, and its "standard edition" will likely always stay as freeware. Lately, though, I've been having money issues. I've been neglecting my yearly check-up for years now and I was getting really paranoid, so I went to the doctor and he asked for a lot of exams. In the past two weeks, I've done an echocardiogram, taken a few x-rays, and did the Holter monitor thing where I had a small device taped to me measuring my heartbeat in a 24-hour cycle (the tape itches like hell).

I have one last appointment Friday and boy am I happy to finally be done with it. What I'm not happy with is the gaping hole these exams left in my bank account. Since I'm kinda desperate, I changed my game from "free or donate" to "$1" at . To my surprise, it already sold ten copies (half of it overnight). Not bad for a first week, but let's see if it'll last. I decided I'll keep the version as a paid one, but I'll make exclusive content for that version down the road so I don't feel like I'm scamming people (which right now, I kinda am). So if you by any chance bought the version, rest assured, there will be some cool stuff for that version soon.

Last steps.

Being that I'm no longer cooking, but already assembling the next update, I'm expecting the next week and a half to be the only thing standing between me and my long-awaited update day. I'm putting together writing and rendering. The code for the journal system and gallery is already done. After that, I'll only have music and the UI revamp left. Oh, I didn't really say much about that, did I? It's probably for the best.

I'm still at it. But soon - very soon, I won't be at it anymore!

Thank you for your kind support.

jak1165

Mar 10, 2018
Fuckin same man, hate sandbox games with a passion but I really did like this game.
Sandboxes usually depend on how much grind it needed to get through the sandbox. Summertime Saga is hella grindy. I couldnt imagine playing that game from scratch. But since you don't have to every time a new update is released every 9 years, people ignore it

Plaguerave

Sep 15, 2020
View attachment 1897635 View attachment 1897638

Hey there, fellas - I hope you're all safe. I bring news.

(Before we start, if this post is barely readable, it's because I'm sleepy as hell.)

90-90 rule.

Roughly two months ago, I got done with the majority of the content for Chapter 4, including a lot of its code. When asked, I replied that there was only "ten percent" left before the full release. Two months later, now that I'm in the assembling phase (putting renders together, writing code, doing sound, etc) I realize how much I missed. I've put more work in this last 10% than all of the previous 10 months combined.

I had relationships I needed to develop in this chapter that I didn't even write before the assembling phase, so I had to make two extra scenes at the last minute, which means two more paths to write in the code and two extra batches of rendering to do, meaning waaaay extra work. But that's done, now.

The thing that's got me really frustrated lately is that I had the next release sitting at 90%, and just like every other release I've put out in the past two years, I got really hyped to finally be done with this chapter and start working on the next. So I did what I always do and went full steam to finish the last mile...and I kept going...and going...and I can't seem to finish. At every corner, I find stuff that needs doing, and every time I get one thing done, two more take its place. It's easy to get demotivated to keep going at it full-time like I've been doing in the past two months. It's one thing to fight against my hardware, but now I gotta fight against myself, too? Stuff got difficult.

One thing that really brightened everything for me was coming across something called the "90-90" rule. I don't remember how exactly I stumbled across this (I think I was watching some Unreal Engine videos), but it dictates the following:
"The first 90 percent of the code accounts for the first 90 percent of the development time. The remaining 10 percent of the code accounts for the other 90 percent of development time.

It really reassured me to know that even though the task at hand is difficult, it has nothing to do with a lack of ability or effort. It's something rather common that could happen to anyone. It really got rid of some of the stress I've been building up and it's refreshing to see I'm not as bad of a developer as I thought.

Chapter 4 makes up for 35% of the whole game. Even though it's been the most difficult chapter to work on and it has undoubtedly taken its toll on me, I am certain that I'll come out of this as a beast, and I see myself having a much easier time raising the bar in the future. In the words of the mighty Fiona Westley, "Iron is forged in fire, and shaped by beating the shit out of it".

version.

I don't think I mentioned this before, but I put my game up on to bring my story to a broader audience. Mad World is freeware, it's intended as such, and its "standard edition" will likely always stay as freeware. Lately, though, I've been having money issues. I've been neglecting my yearly check-up for years now and I was getting really paranoid, so I went to the doctor and he asked for a lot of exams. In the past two weeks, I've done an echocardiogram, taken a few x-rays, and did the Holter monitor thing where I had a small device taped to me measuring my heartbeat in a 24-hour cycle (the tape itches like hell).

I have one last appointment Friday and boy am I happy to finally be done with it. What I'm not happy with is the gaping hole these exams left in my bank account. Since I'm kinda desperate, I changed my game from "free or donate" to "$1" at . To my surprise, it already sold ten copies (half of it overnight). Not bad for a first week, but let's see if it'll last. I decided I'll keep the version as a paid one, but I'll make exclusive content for that version down the road so I don't feel like I'm scamming people (which right now, I kinda am). So if you by any chance bought the version, rest assured, there will be some cool stuff for that version soon.

Last steps.

Being that I'm no longer cooking, but already assembling the next update, I'm expecting the next week and a half to be the only thing standing between me and my long-awaited update day. I'm putting together writing and rendering. The code for the journal system and gallery is already done. After that, I'll only have music and the UI revamp left. Oh, I didn't really say much about that, did I? It's probably for the best.

I'm still at it. But soon - very soon, I won't be at it anymore!

Thank you for your kind support.
This gives me some hope the story drew me in and the rest was a bonus.

Vasy

Mar 21, 2017
First part of the games need to be redone
it really doesn't

it looks absolute garbage
it really doesn't

it gets in the way of enjoying a good story
and it really doesn't

Not every VN here needs to have CoBD production values and render quality, especially in the case of a dev with modest support already struggling with getting updates out in a timely fashion.

Remake-itis already ends up killing a considerable percentage of projects here. There's no reason for another amateur, first time dev to get overwhelmed and seized up by perfectionism instead of just treating the project as an opportunity to learn and grow as an artist.

halleluja10

Jan 8, 2020
First part of the games need to be redone it looks absolute garbage... it gets in the way of enjoying a good story
Guess you will surprise us with your perfect VN/game/whatever soon?

Not every VN here needs to have CoBD production values and render quality, especially in the case of a dev with modest support already struggling with getting updates out in a timely fashion.

Remake-itis already ends up killing a considerable percentage of projects here. There's no reason for another amateur, first time dev to get overwhelmed and seized up by perfectionism instead of just treating the project as an opportunity to learn and grow as an artist.
Well said!

camube

Jun 4, 2022
I'll try not to be overly technical...

Still working on it. I didn't include this in the post I made but my previsualization in DAZ Studio is looking like a PowerPoint presentation on two particular sequences - the beach sequence I've shown you guys in the previews, and another sequence after it which I'm not gonna spoil. These two sequences make up 70% of the next chapter, and they are the heaviest scenes to work with, mainly because they contain every animation and action scene I've made in the past - what, nine months? I was getting so stressed out that I stopped counting.

It's easy to lose focus, time, and momentum when each scene takes a full minute to save or posing characters feel like I'm playing a game at 5 FPS.

Like I said before - complicated scenes, man.

I could render the background they're set in separately and use it as an HDRI (which would make everything WAY faster), but in my personal opinion, rendering backgrounds separately look hideous. It's like using an obviously bad green screen. Like I said before, the major delay is mainly because I refused to take the easy route when I should have absolutely taken it. I'm not working with tens of thousands worth of hardware, so it was a pretty stupid move to take this kind of luxury. One thing is for sure: when this chapter is out, I won't regret a single thing I've done on it.

P.S.: This month went by so fast...I really don't know what happened. The "May 4th" release was addressed on discord, by the way. Thanks for playing!
i enjoy your games a lot. The fight scenes are pretty epic! Keep developing!

Reactions: AmerHST

rafaaa

Apr 8, 2022
Does the game has a lot of choices and does the choices matter for the game or its a linear path?

Canto Forte

Post Pro
Jul 10, 2017
Choices do matter for the scenes you get, rather if you go home with this or that hottie,
if you enter a relationship or do a hook up.
Story wise, there are only so many scenes done so far,
so you gotta play and see if this bothers you or not.

4.50 star(s) 132 Votes