RPGM Completed Magical Valkyrie Lyristia [v1.01] [ShiBoo! / Kagura Games]

3.70 star(s) 19 Votes

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
Surprised this game isn't getting much attention, it's really great so far. This is really what Sailor Splendor could have been after all eh? They even added auto combat lmao. Also, makes me laugh that you get exp during cutscenes for auto wrecking the rando mobs. Consistency is key.

My only issue is that the options for how to deal with situations are fairly rng. That kind of realism often doesn't work well in an rpg maker game. Going for realism with rng in a game where you can't try to change a bad hand feels incredibly sucky.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Edit:

Ah, as the game goes on, the rng gets worse and worse. We're regressing in gameplay... I guess it's time to grind out levels/money. Dev constantly making the player feel rushed to move forward, but then forces them to stop and grind to have a chance at winning the next battle. Derp. All the tension/urgency just flying out the window. When the rng gameplay starts to even hurt the story. Having to stop and grind for 30-60 minutes just before a boss fight that seems like it should be on a time constraint is some shit. Went from feeling desperate to continue/save the characters and being all involved in the story to having time to stop and complain about the game here, lol. Momentum killed.

If they wanted us to grind at some points, they could have given us some missions that aren't just: "YOU ABSOLUTELY HAVE TO GO SAVE THIS PERSON RIGHT NOW". Space out the major story missions and have some days where you're just fucking around with lesser mobs or something inbetween.

Really short game too, funny they used all the pessimistic advice I gave in my Sailor Splendor review for bare minimum improvements (Auto combat, shorter gameplay). I guess they got those types of complaints a lot and must have worked rather closely with them. Well, this is certainly a better game, some of the positive advice was used as well like improving the combat a bit. Still a lot of room to improve though as a game, far too much rng controlling your destiny still.

Well, I at least have hope for these circles if they continue to work together/improve like this. Hard to tell how much the Sailor Splendor + this devs/artists worked together or will work together in the future though.

Last edited:

Jan 10, 2018
Ah, as the game goes on, the rng gets worse and worse. We're regressing in gameplay... I guess it's time to grind out levels/money. Dev constantly making the player feel rushed to move forward, but then forces them to stop and grind to have a chance at winning the next battle. Derp. All the tension/urgency just flying out the window. When the rng gameplay starts to even hurt the story. Having to stop and grind for 30-60 minutes just before a boss fight that seems like it should be on a time constraint is some shit. Went from feeling desperate to continue/save the characters and being all involved in the story to having time to stop and complain about the game here, lol. Momentum killed.
I don't recall ever having to grind in the game (though I did make a point of exploring thoroughly)... Certain bosses, like the second-to-last one have a gimmick that makes them significantly tougher if you don't know how to handle it, but none of them are actually difficult. Especially when you can just buy a couple of powerful recovery items, and turtle until you can use your OP super attack.

Reactions: Akren and Beggarman

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
I don't recall ever having to grind in the game (though I did make a point of exploring thoroughly)... Certain bosses, like the second-to-last one have a gimmick that makes them significantly tougher if you don't know how to handle it, but none of them are actually difficult. Especially when you can just buy a couple of powerful recovery items, and turtle until you can use your OP super attack.
Thanks for reminding me of another issue (Boss spoilers):

The last boss I fucking loved. I wish they gave that same energy to the rest of the bosses. (Also boss spoilers)

Last edited:

Jan 10, 2018
Thanks for reminding me of another issue (Boss spoilers):

[
So, in all fairness I never did realize this myself, and ended up brute forcing the boss, but...

I can't really blame the developers for that, since every boss until that point (except maybe the fish guy? I don't really remember him all that well, it's been a while) has had a gimmick, so we should have expected a gimmick, and the clearly abnormal nature of that attack should have been a big flashing sign that I should have looked into it more.

The last boss I fucking loved. I wish they gave that same energy to the rest of the bosses. (Also boss spoilers)

You know, I never did get around to figuring you how you were "supposed" to beat him. The first time, I wanted to see what would happen if he was allowed to build up his attack. The second time, I wondered if you could avoid it entirely by not letting your super attack build up or if he'd have a different counter. And, well... It turned out he didn't. It was a long fight, just using your weaker attacks, but also a very safe one because your abilities in general are pretty darned OP.

I enjoyed most of the bosses in general, though, even when I stubbornly insisted on doing things the hard way for no good reason (like always waiting for the reinforcements because "I should be able to handle this, darn it"). The fish guy was the only one who seemed kind of lame to me - to the point I can barely remember him, except for being associated with the grimmest bad end in the game.

Jan 10, 2018
Oh yeah (2nd to last boss spoilers)
On the other hand...

So I can see the developer's rationale here. It can end up frustrating for players, but theoretically, it's in line with the earlier battles, and if the player did notice what's going on, it would have helped keep their boss ideas fresh.

As for the cues given, maybe the relationship was more direct in Japanese? For example, I don't know what verb was translated as "counter", but I can think of a couple that would have been more context-specific in Japanese than English.

FruitSmoothie

Jan 22, 2019
Yeah, at the end of the day, it was just one of those mechanics that will fuck over anybody with a different perspective than the dev. For anybody that thinks like the dev, they probably didn't have a problem. For the people whose minds work differently, that was really obnoxious.

Reactions: 05841035411

Stuchinoko

Sep 18, 2019
I dunno if my tastes are just that depraved at this point, but I feel like the actual sex content was sorely lacking in variety. Don't even think I saw a blowjob scene.

TheRay

Apr 9, 2019
Version 1.2 is out!
There's a new boss and new CG. Update please

Last edited:
Reactions: asanoturna

Bondage Queen

Jun 25, 2018
Am I retarded? I can't win the first big fight. The enemy gets 8 actions for your 1 action, 6 attacks and 2 knockdown attempts, so you get knocked down almost every time. If you get knocked down, you have a 40% chance to get back up and if you fail they attack you 6 times, which does like 2/3 of your health bar. You can 'look for an opening,' but that doesn't seem to do anything, and they still get to attack you 6 times. Wtf??? You have no chance to do anything. Always knocked down. Am I not understanding something?

Edit: You can kill the extra combatants before entering the alley. I'm retarded.

Last edited:
3.70 star(s) 19 Votes