3.50 star(s) 10 Votes

Zyllean

Oct 21, 2016
For anyone who's interested in playing the game, but has been discouraged by the official translation's bad/broken English:

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Picked version from first page, do EXECTLY what instruction tell, cant run the game. Get black screen for a few seconds then resize, then shut down. When try to locate which file do this, found that if i put original Animations.rvdata2 to data folder it tell me to download right version from dlsite, not just black screen. One more time -> follow instruction -> get the same output. Any advice please?

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Zyllean It's natural for restoring the original Animations.rvdata2 to result in that message, because every single original file that's replaced by MSE-Better-English-Patch.zip has the same redundant integrity check that will detect that your Game.rgss3a file is missing and fail the check with that message. (To be exact, you can even make the message disappear if you just restore Game.rgss3a by renaming/copying Dummy12.dat, but there's no point in that, because you'd be running the unpatched game assets stored within that rgss3a file. Game.rgss3a needs to be missing for the game to know to use the Data and Graphics folders.)

But I don't know what would cause it to crash with a black screen. Did you try to see if the game was able to run unpatched, before trying any of these instructions? (Including running the RPGVAce_RTP tool if necessary.) As long as the game can run in its normal state, following the instructions should give a very narrow and precise result. I would try re-attempting the process a third time carefully... If that still doesn't work and you obtain no more clues, you should probably just give up on patching it, at least for now.

Reactions: Zyllean

Zyllean

Oct 21, 2016
Zyllean It's natural for restoring the original Animations.rvdata2 to result in that message, because every single original file that's replaced by MSE-Better-English-Patch.zip has the same redundant integrity check that will detect that your Game.rgss3a file is missing and fail the check with that message. (To be exact, you can even make the message disappear if you just restore Game.rgss3a by renaming/copying Dummy12.dat, but there's no point in that, because you'd be running the unpatched game assets stored within that rgss3a file. Game.rgss3a needs to be missing for the game to know to use the Data and Graphics folders.)

But I don't know what would cause it to crash with a black screen. Did you try to see if the game was able to run unpatched, before trying any of these instructions? (Including running the RPGVAce_RTP tool if necessary.) As long as the game can run in its normal state, following the instructions should give a very narrow and precise result. I would try re-attempting the process a third time carefully... If that still doesn't work and you obtain no more clues, you should probably just give up on patching it, at least for now.
Thank you for respond so fast. Okay. Lets try again. Unpack game from zip -> run -> OK. Open decrypter -> decrypt Game.rgss3a -> move files from "Extract" folder -> rename Game.rgss3a -> run -> "Download recent-version from DLSite.com ERROR.
No changes if i applying patches from site. In that point i stopped. What am i doing wrong?

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Zyllean Did you skip overwriting the files in the Data folder with the files in MSE-Better-English-Patch.zip that time? Anyway, if you can do a 'dir' command in the game directory, Data directory, and Graphics directory (3 directories) and paste the output here (inside a spoiler tag, to save space), I'll tell you if I see anything odd.

Zyllean

Oct 21, 2016
Zyllean Did you skip overwriting the files in the Data folder with the files in MSE-Better-English-Patch.zip that time? Anyway, if you can do a 'dir' command in the game directory, Data directory, and Graphics directory (3 directories) and paste the output here (inside a spoiler tag, to save space), I'll tell you if I see anything odd.
Yes, im skip overwriting the files with your patch to check if game is still working.
Root game folder:

Data folder:

Graphics folder:

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Yes, im skip overwriting the files with your patch to check if game is still working.
Ah. Those files do need to be overwritten before the game will function in any way, though. There are only 2 ways for the game to run:
- don't delete/rename Game.rgss3a, in which case MSE will just use Game.rgss3a to obtain all its assets and the Data directory will be completely ignored and the game will run normally in its unpatched state
- or you delete/rename Game.rgss3a, and then do every single step in the instructions, or the game won't run at all
So there's no point if we don't do every step.

Let me ask again just to make sure. In the game's default/unmodified state, are you actually able to run the game properly, and get it to load the title screen? The game should be at least able to run before you follow any of the instructions required to patch it. This is important.

You should have been able to see this screen: For the record, once it's patched successfully, it looks like this:

But anyway, I figured out your problem. Your language for non-Unicode programs needs to be set to Japanese. I often forget about this because in newer Windows versions, it's all handled automatically.

First follow the steps here, to go into your Control Panel and change this setting:

Next, optionally re-extract the original game. I think it's optional, because AFAIK, the original game didn't have any key files with Japanese filenames. But I did notice you were missing one un-important file, a directory called _カットインサンプル that's supposed to exist in your game folder if you properly extracted them, so it's possible there are others.

Most importantly, re-run RPG Maker Decrypter. The big problem is that the Graphics folder is full of files with Japanese filenames, like Graphics\Pictures\cap_クリアエリア.png for example. You need to make sure these are extracted properly.

After that, just re-overwrite the rvdata/rdata 2 files in Data using the MSE-Better-English-Patch.zip files, and it should work.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zyllean

Zyllean

Oct 21, 2016
But anyway, I figured out your problem. Your language for non-Unicode programs needs to be set to Japanese. I often forget about this because in newer Windows versions, it's all handled automatically.
Nope, this is not my situation. I have proof :)
Suddenly, the game start with your patch. Maybe (i'm sure) it's because i reboot my computer (last reboot was a two weeks ago, i think...) and now all work Perfectly. I do not know what's different now, i don't install any RTP or any other changes for system recently.
Here is proof of wrong locale AND wrong language for non-unicode progs:

Sorry for bothering you. Anyway, all i can return you for helping is like, sorry...
Thank you!

P.S. The screenshot is from version that doesn't work (black screen, then shut down) from my first post, no new changes made by me.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshaded

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Oh, got it. I'm glad you managed to solve the issue. (Hopefully the files that RPG Maker Decrypter extracted all have okay filenames, since if they don't, that could cause a crash later.)

Anyway, you're welcome. It was no problem. :)

Anon727

Apr 1, 2017
Had the same issue with the translation patch when I deleted game Game.rgss3a. Small black window that closed itself.

Tried again but renamed the Game.rgss3a to Dummy12.dat that time and than it worked.

mrme

Nov 8, 2017
I had the same issue, though instead of deleting the rgss I renamed to game.rgss3a.old (which works for every other RPGMaker game), which caused the game to load and flash black until I renamed it to Dummy12.dat

Is there something special about that name, Dummy12.dat?

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Yep, I edited the binary data to change the integrity checks coded into the rvdata files to look for "Dummy12.dat" instead of "Game.rgss3a". The patch won't run without a file the exact same number of bytes as Game.rgss3a that's called "Dummy12.dat".

I casually picked "Dummy12.dat" because that's the same number of characters as the old filename. It's a minimal modification because the exact number of bytes also needs to be maintained for a bunch of the rvdata files. The database can't be edited, so the integrity checks can only be bypassed like this.

ccyzgp

Nov 18, 2018
Animation.rvdata2 contains the module that's used to decrypt and load patch files. Using the same trick of not changing the number of bytes in the file, it should be possible to mod it to load custom patches from plaintext.

dreamz95

Jan 26, 2019
hmm, tried MSE's patch, game is loaded with english UI. but stuck infinitely at the load screen ("On first boot time...") after starting New Game <1>. any help?

DeathAngelCiel

Oct 21, 2018
I got a question or maybe it is more of a request? Whatever. I got defeated in the game as in game over. After the screen went dark a picture or something came up which said to which monster I have lost, after that the game crashes. A window comes up, saying something about rgss3a player has stopped working. Can anyone help? I didn't patch it, downloaded it today.

Last edited:

Zyllean

Oct 21, 2016
I got a question or maybe it is more of a request? Whatever. I got defeated in the game as in game over. After the screen went dark a picture or something came up which said to which monster I have lost, after that the game crashes. A window comes up, saying something about rgss3a player has stopped working. Can anyone help? I didn't patch it, downloaded it today.
I have similar problem when my system was not set to japan locale.

3.50 star(s) 10 Votes