3.50 star(s) 10 Votes

roland_donald

Apr 18, 2020
also, how do you get the cgs? i'm looking in the graphics folder and it seems like there are drawn cg parts and i'm not sure how to actually get those in game
sorry for the bump, still a pepega who can't figure this out. do i just have to progress through the game?

notamuted

May 12, 2018
sorry for the bump, still a pepega who can't figure this out. do i just have to progress through the game?
Quite yes. You unlock them by progressing through the game. The last bits are unlocked after you beat all the bosses and go to your room. And to actually see them you need to open menu, go to "Memories" and play these stuffs (look at screenshot).
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

roland_donald

Apr 18, 2020
Quite yes. You unlock them by progressing through the game. The last bits are unlocked after you beat all the bosses and go to your room. And to actually see them you need to open menu, go to "Memories" and play these stuffs (look at screenshot).
unironically now my strongest motivation to keep on pushing through the game, ty

JetFuell

Feb 26, 2019
Seems like my game crashes whenever a birth occurs, wich is certainly an issue since apparently there's like a whole layer of gameplay to those what with essences and stuff. Forced me into a new game with some heavy save scumming abound, since there's the perpetual damocle's sword of conc_birth

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Seems like my game crashes whenever a birth occurs, wich is certainly an issue since apparently there's like a whole layer of gameplay to those what with essences and stuff. Forced me into a new game with some heavy save scumming abound, since there's the perpetual damocle's sword of conc_birth
Are you using the patch I made (from the bottom of page 14)? If so, can you tell me what the error was, or what text you remember from the context of right where it crashed?

JetFuell

Feb 26, 2019
Are you using the patch I made (from the bottom of page 14)? If so, can you tell me what the error was, or what text you remember from the context of right where it crashed?
I am indeed using your patch, though after looking at my patch folder seems like i was missing one single patch, the 1009 one, which is a specific fix to a previous non-working patch to the exact same essence gen error, so i think that might have actually been it, gonna go yeet a savegame at an arachne and see if it still crashes.

Though just in case, since all errors are logged in one's save folder, here it is:

Last edited:
Reactions: Sunshaded

JetFuell

Feb 26, 2019
Whew, it's a relief to know my patch wasn't the source. Nice working tracking down the problem and fixing it. (y)
I've gotta say your patch so far hasn't had any issues, wich is surprising with how much pseudo-DRM the dev packed into the thing.

It's a shame not all things can be translated due to said troublesome DRM, but what's there is def in a very good spot, kudos to you

• Red Heart

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
dahakacrawl Fantastic work!!

I'm a person who used the method you came up with on page 10 to bypass one of the integrity checks, which let me edit many of MSE's scripts, and used that as the basis of the TL patch I first posted on page 12. Unfortunately, I still couldn't access/edit the full DB and a couple of the key rvdata2 files like the common events, and I had no clear idea what the problem was. I PM'ed mattmator to ask if he had any ideas, but didn't PM you because you hadn't been on f95zone in at least a couple of months at the time. So it's awesome to see you suddenly return and present a solution to that problem too.

After checking out the clean version you uploaded, I have two questions / requests:

1. Can you tell me what program can be used to edit the database? I opened it up in the English language official VX Ace editor (created a .rvproj2 file first, containing "RPGVXAce 1.01") and I ran into the same problems I had before: lots of blank entries, and trying to edit certain scripts of the DB causes script files to be corrupted. Of the 15 files that are modified when I save the project in the editor, 9 of them (at least the Actors, Armors, Classes, Enemies, Items, scripts, Skills, States, Weapons rvdata2 files in my one test) ended up shrunk, some of them drastically; Enemies went from 281 to 111 KB. This is the same core TL roadblock I encountered before, where I wasn't even completely sure if it was purposeful DRM or not. Let me know if you want me to upload files to show you what I mean.

2. Assuming #1 isn't a problem anymore, could you use whatever method you used to "flatten" the rvdata2 files, to re-flatten them after the original rvdata2 files are replaced with ? I noticed that they're no longer compatible with my TL patch. Otherwise, even if I can now edit the database, all of the previous TL'ed content would need to be manually re-done.

dahakacrawl

Jun 11, 2020
Hey, Sunshaded

I use to edit the files, the YAML and Scripts folders in my archive are a human-readable dumps of the databases and can be readily re-packed to rvdata2. The game seems to work fine for me this way but YMMV.

The shrunken files I'm not sure about, the cleaned up files are already shrunken compared to the original ones, since the top level entries were just decoy data, and the actual data as loaded by the game was in binary blobs placed as sub-entries in the serialization structure the rvdata format uses. Also, come to think, the original project came with a bunch of mixed rvdata/rvdata2 files. I didn't think much of it at the time, but (wild guess ahead) maybe this is some artifact of the project being ported from VX to VX Ace, to the point where in can't be consistently opened in a single editor but can be handled by the engine just fine.

What I did to get rid of the obfuscation was I modified the data loader class to load the "DRM'ed" archives and then when all the internal black magic is done, dump the raw database back to the filesystem. Then I removed all the extra processing to unpack the obfuscated data (this is likely why you can't just plug your TL'ed files into this version). As far as scripts are concerned, you can safely overwrite everything but DataManager.rb.

I'll try to see if I can integrate your TL (probably doable) and make the project properly editable through VX Ace (honestly no clue), but no promises.

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
I use to edit the files, the YAML and Scripts folders in my archive are a human-readable dumps of the databases and can be readily re-packed to rvdata2. The game seems to work fine for me this way but YMMV.
Ah, you're right! I ran some grep searches on your rvpacker output files, and found that the Engrish/untranslated terms from the DB are all in there. (I had tried and failed to use rvpacker before, so this must be a benefit of you directly removing the DRM instead of just evading it like I did.) That's perfect then; I know how to re-pack the files with rvpacker. I'm still not sure what the problem is with the VX Ace editor, but it's actually easier for me to just use rvpacker, since I can directly locate terms I want to translate. I still have a list of 50+ Engrish/untranslated messages which were previously inaccessible, that I kept in case I ever had the chance to fix them.

I didn't think much of it at the time, but (wild guess ahead) maybe this is some artifact of the project being ported from VX to VX Ace, to the point where in can't be consistently opened in a single editor but can be handled by the engine just fine.
Yeah, I was thinking it might be something like this too. At the time, I wasn't even completely sure if it was purposeful DRM or just me not replicating Abare Usagi's development environment properly.

What I did to get rid of the obfuscation was I modified the data loader class to load the "DRM'ed" archives and then when all the internal black magic is done, dump the raw database back to the filesystem. Then I removed all the extra processing to unpack the obfuscated data (this is likely why you can't just plug your TL'ed files into this version). As far as scripts are concerned, you can safely overwrite everything but DataManager.rb.
Got it, thanks. From the way you came up with this kind of smart solution where you used RPG Maker's built-in functions to reformat the data, I can tell you have deep knowledge of the system; back when I tried to solve the problem, I just messed around superficially.

By the way, I just noticed I made a mistake: I shouldn't have included the Animations, CommonEvents, and Troops rvdata2 files in the TL patch I uploaded for you. I only just now remembered that I modified these with a hex editor to deal with a DRM-related part. And their only modifications were DRM-related, so they can otherwise be skipped; they don't contain my TLs. (The VX Ace editor refreshes the timestamps on a large number of rvdata2 files every time the project is saved, whether they're actually modified or not, so that's what misled me to include them in the files I sent you...)

dahakacrawl

Jun 11, 2020
I had tried and failed to use rvpacker before, so this must be a benefit of you directly removing the DRM instead of just evading it like I did.
Yeah, rvpacker expects something resembling a correctly formatted rvdata archive, which the original files aren't anywhere close to. I recall having to modify the rvpacker rubygem code to unpack some of the archives anyway so give me a heads-up if you run into trouble.

By the way, I just noticed I made a mistake: I shouldn't have included the Animations, CommonEvents, and Troops rvdata2 files in the TL patch I uploaded for you.
That's fine, I wasn't going to touch Animations anyway since it's too much of a quagmire of weird shit the rabbit left behind to blow up in your face, and I forgot how I got around it the first time around ;).

Unfortunately rvpacker's YAML parser seems not to properly support UTF-8 filenames and can't read your scripts archive due to Japanese characters. My own scripts archive seems to have lost Japanese characters somewhere along the way.

I've integrated the rest of your files, and will change the dataloader so that if it is fed any more protected archives, it's going to dump their fixed form as a rvdata2.flat file next to the regular archives.

Also the changes mostly seem to apply to maps from where I'm looking at them after unpacking the end result. Have you done any changes to the DRM-ed files (Actors,Classes,Items,States,Armors,Enemies,Skills,Weapons) that have shown up in-game before?

medassin

Apr 5, 2018
's a clean version of the game, with all the DRM-like tricks fully removed and all the data flattened to a proper RPG Maker format if anyone's interested in modding it further.
then i hope someone will make a mod with bigger stash (100+ item) + good translated :LOL:

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Yeah, rvpacker expects something resembling a correctly formatted rvdata archive, which the original files aren't anywhere close to. I recall having to modify the rvpacker rubygem code to unpack some of the archives anyway so give me a heads-up if you run into trouble.
Good to know. I haven't gotten around to testing rvpacker yet, but I will for sure.

Unfortunately rvpacker's YAML parser seems not to properly support UTF-8 filenames and can't read your scripts archive due to Japanese characters. My own scripts archive seems to have lost Japanese characters somewhere along the way.
If it helps any, here's the Data folder from a freshly downloaded latest version MSE game folder that's outputted by RPG Maker Decryptor run on my system (Windows 10 Pro + Japanese locale for non-unicode programs) in a zip file. I based all my later modifications (anti-DRM fixes + VX Ace edits) off this output:

Also the changes mostly seem to apply to maps from where I'm looking at them after unpacking the end result. Have you done any changes to the DRM-ed files (Actors,Classes,Items,States,Armors,Enemies,Skills,Weapons) that have shown up in-game before?
Nope, I hadn't been able to modify anything related to the database; if I remember right, all or almost all of my translations were based around map events and the scripts window.

I should probably explain exactly how I sloppily evaded the DRM up until now for my TL patch: with your page 10 post as a bible, I used a hex editor on Animations.rvdata2 to comment out some of the DRM-related code and changed the string Game.rgss3a to Dummy12.dat (with the intention of just renaming the file Game.rgss3a to Dummy12.dat). Then I used the hex editor to edit those 10 data files with hidden integrity checks that you listed, to also change the string Game.rgss3a to Dummy12.dat. I wasn't confident enough to do anything more elaborate. So those 11 "fixed" files (plus the act of renaming the rgss3a file) were the basis of the "DRM evading" method I used. For reference, this is them:

Now that I think about it, I should use diff to make sure I'm properly telling you which files in my TL patch were changed relative to my base... All right. After running a couple of loops just now on the TL patch files that I uploaded and sent to you, I found/remembered that these are the files which were actually modified (relative to the original data files + the 11 overwritten "fixed" data files):

It looks like the VX Ace editor did modify 2 of the rvdata2 files that I'd modified with the hex editor earlier, CommonEvents and Troops. (Not Animations.rvdata2, though.) The file sizes went *up* from 229872 to 235660 bytes and *down* from 31164 to 30696 bytes, respectively. But my impression is that the map rvdata2 files, scripts, and System are where most of my TLs are actually stored; I can't remember why the VX Ace editor modified Troops and CommonEvents, but I know that I was never able to actually modify them myself. So you could probably leave those 2 files alone, and just try to re-flatten the scripts.rvdata2 + System.rvdata2 + the map-related rvdata2 files, and see if that's enough for the game to run. Thanks a lot!

Last edited:

dahakacrawl

Jun 11, 2020
Right, I integrated all the data files, and because the Scripts archive was being stubborn I just copied over all the _eng files. Here's how it looks like now (I put the whole thing under git to better keep track of what happens where). Give me a heads up if there are any script changes missing.
TL diff.png
Here's the repacked archive.
Edit: in process of uploading an update.

's the repacked archive. While we're opening the game up I've also disabled encryption and compression of savegames to enable editing. The game can still load existing saves.

Last edited:

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
dahakacrawl Okay, I just downloaded and checked it out. Hmm... It looks like those scripts you have in Scripts/ aren't the versions that I updated, they're the untouched version. Could it be you included an earlier revision's script files? For example, take a look at the attached images. I can also grep for a string like "maternity" and find it in Scripts/, but I can't find the word "Pregnancy" anywhere in Scripts/ or YAML/. I can confirm the map files definitely have my re-translations, though!

(It occurs to me that I could probably re-open the project in VX Ace editor and copy/paste those .rb files, but I thought I should first report this to you since you have a good git-based system going already.)

dahakacrawl

Jun 11, 2020
Right, I didn't read much into the scripts, but I see there's a lot more localization done outside of the files I copied.
I pulled in the rest of it.
Just an incremental this time.

Sunshaded

Jul 14, 2018
Thanks again. It looks perfect, and it runs beautifully. Yeah, I quickly realized that there were many scripts where there wasn't any code to support an alternative English translation, so I ended up having to delve into a lot of random scripts to find where the string I wanted to translate was located. By the way, I've tested rvpacker and the stock version I have seems to work well with these YAML files (I haven't worked with the ExtraData scripts yet, but I expect I'll have no problem). Edit - I did a bit more experimentation and confirmed I can do everything I've ever wanted. You're seriously a hero for making this possible.

---

EDIT: I'm hijacking my own post to share my latest TL patch.

Everyone, here's the latest version of my TL patch, along with a "TL patch FAQ" of sorts.

Last edited:
3.50 star(s) 10 Votes