RPGM Abandoned Malise And The Machine [v0.0511] [Eromancer]

3.70 star(s) 9 Votes

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
The most recent major release of Malise and the Machine was on October 30, 2016.
Genuine curiosity .... why the fuck are people still giving these numpty's money?

Shit, if i'd known people were this gullible i'd have set up my own patreon page ages ago.

J103

Sep 22, 2016
True, that's why I say it's not for everyone. If you don't believe in what they're making, don't support them.
Not sure you understand how these things work but normal game development doesn't take this long, it's not normal even for the really big AAA games and when it happens usually means there's something going very wrong (there are exceptions). The only games I heard of that took this long were mostly passion projects and didn't take anyone's money each month in exchange of nothing and actually had something to show that wasn't a tech demo that felt like it was put together in a few days after 1 year of silence.

Reactions: bigpenniser

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
Not sure you understand how these things work but normal game development doesn't take this long, it's not normal even for the really big AAA games and when it happens usually means there's something going very wrong (there are exceptions). The only games I heard of that took this long were mostly passion projects and didn't take anyone's money each month in exchange of nothing and actually had something to show that wasn't a tech demo that felt like it was put together in a few days after 1 year of silence.
It's not a normal game, and they're not a normally sized team. Plus, there have been games that have taken many years to craft, like FFXV. The thing about Malise, is that they had one idea in mind, but eventually changed their product to include something with more depth and quality to it.

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
It's not a normal game, and they're not a normally sized team. Plus, there have been games that have taken many years to craft, like FFXV. The thing about Malise, is that they had one idea in mind, but eventually changed their product to include something with more depth and quality to it.
Don't write stupid shit, mate. This is an RPG Maker game, it they have been working on it all this time, they would've had something to show by now.

Reactions: J103

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
Don't write stupid shit, mate. This is an RPG Maker game, it they have been working on it all this time, they would've had something to show by now.
How is making valid points and counter-arguments stupid shit? Stop licking that block of salt that's your life.

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
How is making valid points and counter-arguments stupid shit? Stop licking that block of salt that's your life.
I'm afraid the jury is still very much out on the validity of your points. Until the devs actually release a version "with more depth and quality to it" there's going to be bitching and rightly so.
I agree with you that people that don't believe in the team (like me) simply shouldn't support them, but there's no point in going on about how special this project is when the devs have nothing to show for all their oh so extraordinary efforts.

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
I'm afraid the jury is still very much out on the validity of your points. Until the devs actually release a version "with more depth and quality to it" there's going to be bitching and rightly so.
I agree with you that people that don't believe in the team (like me) simply shouldn't support them, but there's no point in going on about how special this project is when the devs have nothing to show for all their oh so extraordinary efforts.
That really isn't my point, simply because they wish to put more effort into a game, doesn't make it special by any means. My point is which, when they create character models they're detailed and fully 3d rendered, level design will be interesting, and story elements will be well thought of - That's what their goal is. Whether they live up to it or end up scamming people, that's up to the devs.

If you don't believe in their "vision", don't support it. Being salty about one inconsequential game isn't worth it.

DrakeWasHere2

Jun 8, 2017
Personally, the way I see it, is this:

Devs are only being supported by consumers(Paetrons.) Devs honestly aren't bound or owe anyone anything. It is sad, but true; because they are under no actual contracts. Individuals are donating their money in hopes to finished projects, but in this same retrospect, many devs never finish their projects and others straight out cancel/abandon them.

In an actual business, these guys would of been canned; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. We can go on and prattle about how many years it takes to make this game or how many years it takes to make that game; but I assure you, those games that had been developed or are develop have gone through actual testing by those that put their money in to sponsor them. No one spending hard earn cash wish to see it go to waste; that is just stupid. Which brings us back to the first point.

Paetron Devs don't owe anyone shit. Supporters can at any point stop their support/pledge, neither party is legally bound to the other. If people want to continue to throw their cash away, that is them. These creators have not released a new tech demo for closely over two years; even if it is something mini-scale of small updates included in an existing one, they hardly did that beyond their last update to the former one.

In truth, these creators fell off the rails when they changed their pledge features. It was much better when pay by game update vs pay by the month; because pay by actual game update shows that they had been working on the project for supporters to test it. Honestly, I believe all Devs on paetron should only include a pay by update feature; but I can also see how a problem that may be if little to no content is produced in that regard as well.

Good Devs can actually produce content on a monthly basis for their players to enjoy that are pledged to them. Very few, though I am sure those that support such individuals know well of the ones that present content(even if little) for their audience to enjoy. This team is not one of them.

I am glad I stop my support last October, if anything I believe that was more than a courtesy to give them a year to manifest something with playability after their last demo; but they failed to even do that. Am I mad? No, not really, just a harsh truth I had to face that this game will likely never come out for awhile, if it even comes out at all.

Reactions: DownTheDrain

DownTheDrain

Donor
Aug 25, 2017
If you don't believe in their "vision", don't support it. Being salty about one inconsequential game isn't worth it.
I already said that I don't believe their vision and don't support their project (anymore) and I wasn't particularly salty about it, so I'm not sure why you even bothered to reply.

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
I already said that I don't believe their vision and don't support their project (anymore) and I wasn't particularly salty about it, so I'm not sure why you even bothered to reply.
My bad, I didn't iterate myself well enough. I didn't mean you were salty specifically, it was a generalization. The first paragraph was towards you.

J103

Sep 22, 2016
You want to talk about games with quality and depth? Here are just a few examples of what's normal

Axiom Verge - made by one guy in 5 years
Cave Story - made by one guy in his spare time while he was in college and later working in his day job, also 5 years
Dust: An Elysian Tail - with the exception of voiceacting and the soundtrack the game was developed by one guy in 3 and a half years

And they didn't beg for money each month in exchange of nothing. Eromancer's behavior is inexcusable no matter what you want to believe.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
I don't know whether to laugh or laugh hysterically.

Don't recall Square opening a Patreon page asking for monthly donations for FFXV and showing absolutely nothing for it.

Reactions: Arrngrim

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
You want to talk about games with quality and depth? Here are just a few examples of what's normal

Axiom Verge - made by one guy in 5 years
Cave Story - made by one guy in his spare time while he was in college and later working in his day job, also 5 years
Dust: An Elysian Tail - with the exception of voiceacting and the soundtrack the game was developed by one guy in 3 and a half years

And they didn't beg for money each month in exchange of nothing. Eromancer's behavior is inexcusable no matter what you want to believe.
Then I recommend you take your complaints up to Eromancer, otherwise you're preaching to a choir.

Personally, the way I see it, is this:

Devs are only being supported by consumers(Paetrons.) Devs honestly aren't bound or owe anyone anything. It is sad, but true; because they are under no actual contracts. Individuals are donating their money in hopes to finished projects, but in this same retrospect, many devs never finish their projects and others straight out cancel/abandon them.

In an actual business, these guys would of been canned; no ifs, ands, or buts about it. We can go on and prattle about how many years it takes to make this game or how many years it takes to make that game; but I assure you, those games that had been developed or are develop have gone through actual testing by those that put their money in to sponsor them. No one spending hard earn cash wish to see it go to waste; that is just stupid. Which brings us back to the first point.

Paetron Devs don't owe anyone shit. Supporters can at any point stop their support/pledge, neither party is legally bound to the other. If people want to continue to throw their cash away, that is them. These creators have not released a new tech demo for closely over two years; even if it is something mini-scale of small updates included in an existing one, they hardly did that beyond their last update to the former one.

In truth, these creators fell off the rails when they changed their pledge features. It was much better when pay by game update vs pay by the month; because pay by actual game update shows that they had been working on the project for supporters to test it. Honestly, I believe all Devs on paetron should only include a pay by update feature; but I can also see how a problem that may be if little to no content is produced in that regard as well.

Good Devs can actually produce content on a monthly basis for their players to enjoy that are pledged to them. Very few, though I am sure those that support such individuals know well of the ones that present content(even if little) for their audience to enjoy. This team is not one of them.

I am glad I stop my support last October, if anything I believe that was more than a courtesy to give them a year to manifest something with playability after their last demo; but they failed to even do that. Am I mad? No, not really, just a harsh truth I had to face that this game will likely never come out for awhile, if it even comes out at all.
I'd agree that they could have stuck to their first goals 2 years ago and people would have been content with the way the game was headed. We'd probably see a completed game by now. And yet, the devs decided to do a 180 and create something more of a passion project, and this is the spot we're at today - scarcely any demos (3 battle demos so far) with monthly posts limited to concept art and tech explanations.

This forum is used to monthly updates with regular content updates, so obviously this game isn't for most people.

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
I don't know whether to laugh or laugh hysterically.

Don't recall Square opening a Patreon page asking for monthly donations for FFXV and showing absolutely nothing for it.
No they didn't, but they also changed the game play-ability a few times that warranted the game's release delay.

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
Valid points? Comparing an RPG Maker game to a Final Fantasy title? Seems like you're the one licking something, mate, and it ain't salt.
An RPG Maker base, with DAZ Studio 3D models and props. What exactly do you believe they were working on all this time?

ColdBlade

Jun 25, 2017
Valid points? Comparing an RPG Maker game to a Final Fantasy title? Seems like you're the one licking something, mate, and it ain't salt.
An RPG Maker base, with DAZ Studio 3D models and props. What exactly do you believe they were working on all this time?
You sound like a expert in the field of game-making, maybe you can elaborate on their whole work progress.

lucifersbliss

Mar 22, 2018
People insulting those who disagree with the popular opinion. Please get back on topic, or lack there of.
I'd rather people with more money than sense support something like that rather than the bonkers mad stuff like EA games.

At least people will run out of patience with this....... eventually, which is more control than what gamers have over EA's nonsense.

Gomly1980

Forum Fanatic
Jul 4, 2017
People insulting those who disagree with the popular opinion. Please get back on topic, or lack there of.
I'd rather people with more money than sense support something like that rather than the bonkers mad stuff like EA games.

At least people will run out of patience with this....... eventually, which is more control than what gamers have over EA's nonsense.
Major difference being even though EA are full of shit practices, if I bought an EA game i'd get a game.

These guys haven't released anything since 2016 and still expect money.

With EA you may be paying for shady anti consumer practices but at least you get something for your money, here you get nothing.

stoper

Game Developer
May 4, 2017
You sound like a expert in the field of game-making, maybe you can elaborate on their whole work progress.
I think I made my opinion regarding their "work process" rather clear - I do not believe there is a work process, they are just scamming gullible people like you.

bigpenniser

Aug 7, 2016
I think I made my opinion regarding their "work process" rather clear - I do not believe there is a work process, they are just scamming gullible people like you.
We tried to explain ourselves to him reasonably first. He is trying to compare a fucking RPGM game with triple AAA games development and acting like 6 years of development for it is normal.

Dont waste your time, he is not going to understand that regardless of what they are working on IF they are working on anything, this is a fucking scam.

3.70 star(s) 9 Votes