Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Hey man, I've been playing video games my whole life and while I don't make them myself I do understand a bit about how they're made. QA is absolutely vital to the process and what you guys do makes the game better for the rest of us. You've got my respect and appreciation.

Which is why I'm gonna defer to you guys about the game flags. You obviously understand it better than I do and I'm going to shut my mouth about it now.
When Faerin introduced the flags console in v0.8.3 (after the UI overhaul), that made our jobs a whole lot easier finding where the problems were when it used to take us a bit more time in previous builds. We had to spend x amount of time longer than needed to find out what the issue was in people's saves that we sometimes had to ask Faerin to take a look at it for us since we couldn't find the issue. That distracted him from doing what he needed/wanted to do, including adding new scenes/renders/animation/dialog for later updates.

I voiced my opinion on having added the flags console because I knew people would abuse it as if it were a cheat system and many people on here proved that point. That's not what it was designed for.

So even though I didn't like that everybody had access to it in the extras version, instead of those of us who need that access to fix bugs or other problems that popped up (as larry5168 mentioned), it has saved us hours of digging through saves and wasting Faerin's time.

Last edited:

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
That makes perfect sense to me, thank you for the explanation
We're honestly not trying to be an ass about it when people mess with the flags or pad other character's stats. We're simply trying to dissuade people from tampering with their save to avoid future issues because, once a bug has been added to a save, it does carry over to the next release and there is no way to undo the damage it's caused. It's those same people who complain the game is "buggy" when they were the ones who initially caused the bugs to begin with.

It's those who blatantly say "Never mind, I edited my save or changed some flags" or "here's how to edit your save" that get under our skin.

If it's one or two flags, we might fix the problem and remind them not to mess with the flags console again (even though there is a warning Faerin included to try to prevent this from happening). But in extreme cases, where someone has changed 20, 30, 50 or over 100 flags, then we're not going to try to fix it (even though technically we can).

Bottom line is, as long as people keep changing flags over and over again, how is that helping people by fixing their mess? It shows them that no matter how many flags they change, we'll just fix it and give their save right back. That's not fair to us who test the games for Faerin every 2 weeks (sometimes twice before a release). If there is a bug, it's either getting fixed prior to it appearing on Patreon on the day of release or depending on the severity of the problem, like a translation bug for instance, it will get fixed in a later release. Other times we'll discover a workaround for that bug and fix saves on an as needed basis. Or just show people how to fix that bug using the flags console.

Mar 10, 2019
I use Linux and Wine to play MotH myself and the game doesn't crash for me.

Did you deactivate "Window decoration" and enabled "virtual desktop" in your preferred size in Winecfg?? These two options prevent window freezing and perhaps your "crashes" too. :unsure:
I didn't, because your recs were not on the troubleshooting guide.
But thanks a lot. I will try them later when I play this game again.

edit: just checked my wine config, was not able to find any "window decoration", and the "emulate virtual desktop" is turned off by default

Last edited:

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I didn't, because your recs were not on the troubleshooting guide.
But thanks a lot. I will try them later when I play this game again.

edit: just checked my wine config, was not able to find any "window decoration", and the "emulate virtual desktop" is turned off by default
I think your installation guide is outdated. The latest version is v2.0 here is a snapshot from the troubleshoot section of the Installation guide:
trouble.png

Last edited:

Tristrix

Jun 30, 2019
Where is Option to Eavesdrop found?? v9.9 Sophia and Ashley ??

Click on the MC's bed and think about your future. Choose Ashley, and you should get that option near the start of the ending cutscene. If you don't, it's because you haven't done Sophia's route. Do that and try again.

Reactions: happy395
Sep 25, 2017
Question, I can't see mom's hint shortcut anymore, somehow it disapeared by itself. Even if I check it in the phone it doesn't appear on the screen, is this a bug ?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Question, I can't see mom's hint shortcut anymore, somehow it disapeared by itself. Even if I check it in the phone it doesn't appear on the screen, is this a bug ?
There is one bug that I have seen pop up in a couple of saves that I've looked at, so it is a possibility. Would you mind posting your save so I can see if that's the case?

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
here is my latest save
Thanks! I'm looking at it now and it's not the same bug that I've ran across. So give me a few minutes and I'll let you know what I've found and give you a fixed save.

EDIT: Ok, I believe larry5168 and I have found the problem and fixed your save accordingly. So now her hints are showing up once again. :)

Thank you for the bug report!

Last edited:
4.20 star(s) 254 Votes