Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
I wish there'd been an ending with Claire and Emma becoming a throuple with the MC.
Well, with the exception of the bonus ending, in this game not everybody knows you are fucking everybody and be okay with it (obviously Veronica/Amy and Ashley/Sophia do), especially within the family. And I actually like this as a change of pace.

Also, while Claire/Emma isn't an off choice and would make some sense, there's just no way to include every possible combo of girls for endings.

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
I wasn't able to see whether or not you had completed #9 in your last screenshot, so if that one isn't done yet, then yeah, you'll need to do that one too.
You need a perfect score to get the achievement, but IIRC, you can miss 1 or 2 and still pass the event.
Thanks for your help guys.
What a lovely little family we have here. Alabama, here we come! :devilish:
I can't believe I finally finished this game. It was really fun to play it again so long after starting years ago. When I started again at first I was worried that it would be a bit "has-been", but to be honest there are a lot of recent games that are much less enjoyable and some Dev that could use a bit of learning from this game.

Reactions: Sycho and TheDevian

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
I know that you're kidding but the last release was five years ago, give or take, so unlikely to get picked up again to include all, gimme a moment, 511 possible endings. Which would be roughly one every week from now to 2034 ...
Fortunately, I'm joking. Not to mention the size of the game. Can you imagine how long it would take to download just adding all 511 endings? Note, I could leave it to my grandchildren as an inheritance :sneaky:

Reactions: MasterChild

jan^s

Dec 19, 2019
Unity
requires (forced updates by unity, pushed to users) then a complete recompile of code if any changes of unity revision (which the forced update does have) no matter how slight of a change if you want to maintain currency in source game-app.

along with a need recompile to any mod or trainer to work again if any and when unity revision changes do happen.

video quality playback limits (to the unity version used in this game)

almost need a 4 year degree to deal with all the constant changes to unity versions and revisions on what and of how things are done behind the scenes.

cost nickle and dimes users to death from assets to (you want a certain video or file type to work with your project pay must for) plugins.

compiling time to end development of project, most use cases are much more steps and are more time intensive (when compared to renpy's development process).

renpy
Don't need to do a recompile at every renpy revision nor are you force to update.

Has a maintained universal mod

never had video quality limits, afaik

doesn't require exhaustive amount of knowledge to do small or large changes to source code.

most things are free or open source and if you can't find one to suite your needs you could always write one (a can't do in unity due to pay walled and propriety code at work).

I am sure there are plenty more comparisons both good and bad that can be made (majorly bad when compared) to renpy.

jm2c...

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Unity
requires (forced updates by unity, pushed to users) then a complete recompile of code if any changes of unity revision (which the forced update does have) no matter how slight of a change if you want to maintain currency in source game-app.

along with a need recompile to any mod or trainer to work again if any and when unity revision changes do happen.

almost need a 4 year degree to deal with all the constant changes to unity versions and revisions on what and of how things are done behind the scenes.

cost nickle and dimes users to death from assets to (you want a certain video or file type to work with your project pay must for) plugins.

compiling time to end development of project, most use cases are much more steps and are more time intensive (when compared to renpy's development process).

renpy
Don't need to do a recompile at every renpy revision nor are you force to update.

doesn't require exhaustive amount of knowledge to do small or large changes to source code.

most things are free or open source and if you can't find one to suite your needs you could always write one (a can't do in unity due to pay walled and propriety code at work).

I am sure there are plenty more comparisons both good and bad that can be made (majorly bad when compared) to renpy.

jm2c...
So that is primarily what your argument is about, that you can't mod the game to your liking? In case you aren't aware, there are cheats built into this game (as well as Faerin's other game, Mystwood Manor) that you can use at anytime throughout, should players choose to do so, eliminating the need for creating a mod. Mods have been known to cause more problems than they solve by creating bugs in the saves. We've seen this time and time again, and every time we've ran into a save where a mod was used, they're immediately turned away. We can and do refuse to help players who have used mods and cheat engines in the past and will continue to do so because they are not supported by the developer nor has he given his blessing for people to create a mod for his games.

Your "Unity vs Ren'Py" complaint is an old and tiring debate we've seen countless times. Let's not rehash something all over again, just because you don't like the Unity engine (which is basically what this all boils down to). Faerin is not going to switch to Ren'Py anytime soon, if ever. If that's not to your liking, I suggest you play some of the other games you'll find which uses the game engine you prefer. There are more than enough on this site that should meet your needs.

Everything else you've mentioned is irrelevant. Ren'Py isn't as "great" as you make it out to be. Changes to the code or changes to the engine can and sometimes does affect players' saves where they would be forced to start over again. I've seen that with a number of games based on Ren'Py that I used to play (and subsequently deleted) more than once. This seldom happens in Unity games unless there were major changes to the coding or UI. Considering I've worked directly with Faerin over his last 3 games (nearly 7-8 years now), I've only seen this happen three times. Once with MotH when I came on board, once with his last game and once with his new game which was very early on in development.

Now, with all that said, while I do enjoy games in both engines, to me, it doesn't matter, it's beside the point as I don't use mods in my games... never have as I don't see any need to do so. So I don't get all bent out of shape over a game engine because the game doesn't do what I want or have what I need. That's up to the dev. If they chose to add built-in cheats, great. If not, who cares? If they add hints in the game, that's awesome. If not, so what? At the end of the day, I'll either play the game or I won't. I don't care what engine it was built in.

Last edited:

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
Unity

Okay we get you don't like Unity and in your opinion Ren'py beats it everytime. Does it? Does it really? I don't remember starting this game up or any other Unity game I have played and it said Unity update needed, so that premise is false to start off with. Are you making a point as a player or a dev?
Wait maybe because you like to mod games and with every game release update you have to update your mod which is a bit of an inconvenience.
As for video quality can you clarify your point as it's a bit vague. Unity can't run at the same resolution as Ren'py or it can't keep up with the frame rate or it can't run files over a certain size what is it?

Just to clarify are you arguing as a player or a dev here? The stuff you mention except for the first line which is crying that you can't mod the game as easy as you would in Ren'py means nothing and doesn't add to your point. Whether it can be modded easier on Ren'py or Unity has no bearing on what platform a dev chooses to make his game, it's his or her decision.
As for your last two points I refer you to the answer above.

renpy

jm2c...
Don't know and to be honest don't care either. I have worked on three successful Unity games that are selling quite well on Steam and I am currently working on a fourth that will end up on Steam in 2 to 2 1/2 years from now.
Your points here seem to be simply it's difficult for you to mod if it's made in Unity. So what? I'm pretty sure that there are people out there that are a lot cleverer than you or me that could mod the game if they wanted to they've just decided not to.
A dev will create a game on a platform that he or she is comfortable with and one that they know fairly well or in some cases inside out. It's their decision and I can tell you the last thing on their mind is whether anyone can mod it easily or not.

♂Brout&Minou♀

Engaged Member
Jul 30, 2020
Unity

renpy

jm2c...
Well, I was waiting to hear your arguments, but I'm happy to have waited a little too long to answer them, since here we have two experts much better trained than me, to give a more complete answer.
If your first question seemed a little vague on which point of view you were standing, it seems quite clear that your answer is from the development point of view or at least, one of a poorly informed modder, or poorly advised to say the least.
However, I give you a point on what you write, it is easier to work on Ren'Py than on Unity, particularly when you start from scratch, which is true in my case

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
Well, good luck with that. Since the game has been finished for 5 years. If I may ask, what is wrong with the Unity engine, other than the obvious known differences, or "I don't play Unity games cause I hate this" ?
Renpy allows for easier community mods. You can compress the game, or modify it to run on Android which is usually not possible using Unity. You can create fan-based walkthroughs, galleries, or even give people the option to remove certain scenes with renpy.

That said, it would be a lot of work to port this game over with little payoff. If this game were not widely available anymore, it might make sense to build a renpy version, but the game is available on Steam and here, so there isn't much reason to do that.

Reactions: rb813

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
Renpy allows for easier community mods.
So somebody needs to port this game in RenPy, in order that somebody else makes walkthrough mod for users here?
Well, it's really lot of work. Not because porting is that complicated in itself, but because this game uses a lot of custom made modifications by Faerin. Also, pure RenPy cant even translate many of modifications. Porter would need to make his custom solutions directly in Python. And also to be familiar with C#. It's a lot of work, and not a many of people can do it, especially not for free.

You can compress the game, or modify it to run on Android which is usually not possible using Unity.
Take a look at Google play, most of games are made in Unity lol. This game was not portable to Android because it's designed specifically for computer screens and mouse clicking, not because Unity doesn't work on Android.
Also, game archive is already heavily compressed. It's only 27% of game extracted.
As for walkthrough.... yelp... this even had dedicated thread with WT, saves and FAQ.

Nemo56

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2018
I defintly would not mind if it was remade in Ren'Py, but it works as it is so there really is no need for it. It would do not good for Android either, the tiny clickable areas would remain tiny unless someone want to change the design of the game.

But of course everyone is free to negotiate the rights with the original creator and then make one :D

Reactions: Thermophob

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
So somebody needs to port this game in RenPy, in order that somebody else makes walkthrough mod for users here?
Well, it's really lot of work. Not because porting is that complicated in itself, but because this game uses a lot of custom made modifications by Faerin. Also, pure RenPy cant even translate many of modifications. Porter would need to make his custom solutions directly in Python. And also to be familiar with C#. It's a lot of work, and not a many of people can do it, especially not for free.

Take a look at Google play, most of games are made in Unity lol. This game was not portable to Android because it's designed specifically for computer screens and mouse clicking, not because Unity doesn't work on Android.
Also, game archive is already heavily compressed. It's only 27% of game extracted.
As for walkthrough.... yelp... this even had dedicated thread with WT, saves and FAQ.
I am not saying the game needs to be ported to Renpy, it was asked why one might want a renpy version, and I gave some reasons. If a dev doesn't build a mac or Android version, with renpy the community can build a version, should they want to. If it is Unity, it would be up to the dev and despite unity running on Android, many devs using Unity only provide a Windows build because of how much extra work Unity takes to make an Android version versus the much easier process of building for multiple OS in Renpy.

A Renpy build doesn't require knowing all the mods made by the dev because those changes were engine specific, they just need to replicate the game play in Renpy which can be done. It would be time-consuming to rebuild the game, enough that it would probably work as a community build more than an individual project.

Thermophob

Apr 10, 2018
If it is Unity, it would be up to the dev and despite unity running on Android, many devs using Unity only provide a Windows build because of how much extra work Unity takes to make an Android version versus the much easier process of building for multiple OS in Renpy.
Emh, I think you got it all wrong, again. It's not more complicated of more time consuming to make game versions for different operating systems in Unity. For this game, Android is out of picture simply because game is not designed to be run on phone. It's made to be played on Computer with keypad and mouse. End of story. Faerin decided to focus only on Windows during development. Game was and still is playable under Linux and Mac with Wine. Later he made Mac version which can be purchased on Steam and Nutaku. There was no interest for Linux build among patrons I guess.
Other developers do provide builds for different OS (for example look at Hail Dicktator). Sometimes leakers here don't share versions.
Either way, it would definitely be less time and resource consuming to make Mac build of MotH, than port game to RenPy.

A Renpy build doesn't require knowing all the mods made by the dev because those changes were engine specific,
Of course it requires. You must understand what game does and how it does in order to replicate that functionlaity in other developing platform.

4.20 star(s) 255 Votes