GD-studios

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2021
This is what I've coded into the engine so far:

New dynamic food system (WIP - up for discussion!)
The business of buying and selling food now demands more strategy, but can also provide a good yield for those who prepare and invest properly.
- There's a new random roll each day that determines the cost of food rations (3 or 4). This value is then further modified by various events - scourges, famines etc.
- Redhaven Market now has a pool of rations - that dynamically depletes and rebuilds itself. This pool will also be affected by the amount of rations the MC sells to the market.
- Redhaven Market starts to sell of more food rations after hitting 5,000 - causing the number to slowly decrease itself. - Redhaven market has a market cap (7,500). When reaching this cap, you can no longer sell rations to the market. The salesmen will however deplete this volume relatively quickly - down to 5,000.
- The market pool depletes very quickly during famines and somewhat faster during scourges.
- The price for selling and buying food will dynamically increase if the market pool is very low (below 250) or the opposite if it's above 5,000.

Food storage
- The MC can store a maximum of 1,000 rations in his home. If he exceeds this amount, rations start to spoil - (-25 per day).
- The MC can build a food storage silo/room that increases his maximum amount to 7,500. Exceeding this amount will lower rations with -25 per day.

Suggestions? Ideas? :)

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
So now there will be a cap on both, huh.
Sell too much and you hit a cap and cheapen the product, buy too much and you deplete the stores and increase the price, which can be a strategy if you are going for storage-emptying profit. :unsure::coffee:
Sounds pretty good. This starting to feel like we have an egg of an actual economy in this game.
In the future when there will be other cities, you could potentially expand this even further, make cities affect each other's economies through trading and such. :giggle::coffee:

For example, there is an ongoing passive fight between Kingdom of David and Ikaanos right?
The prices could be then affected by say.. if davidians (or other forces like bandits) raid some farmers and steal their food supply, this could result in a spike of prices for food in Ikaanos. Stuff like that. :giggle::coffee:
Or a trade caravan could be raided, this could affect something as well somewhere.
You could setup many such events which will make the world in your game feel alive, breathing, and constantly moving.
Well, for now we only have Ikaanos so this stuff is probably far from the stage where it would matter, but good ideas to keep in mind for later i think.

Also you may want to add buy x10 button as well if you bothered adding sell x10 one.
Especially now that trading is a bit more dynamic, i always welcome less mundane clicking grind. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Buying will probably require a bit more testing since i fear you might be able to abuse it anyway. :unsure::coffee:
What if we add rival npc actors who also play market?

For example if you empty the stores by buying everything in order to artificially increase price of the product, a rival npc actor could swoop-in and take advantage by filling the store with their product, preventing you from taking advantage of it yourself.
This should in theory make the player be more careful about trying to abuse artificial price jacking?
Or that's the idea at any rate. :unsure::coffee:
Could make it into something like a %-based event that may proc when player buys a lot of the product at once.

Last edited:

Hephannon

Mar 1, 2020
How do you train a slave ? Making them love you don't help, then whatever I try they don't progress much in anything and are worth sh#t to sell... :(
Do you have to break their will ? And then how given they refuse and end up unconscious if you're too harsh ??

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
How do you train a slave ? Making them love you don't help, then whatever I try they don't progress much in anything and are worth sh#t to sell... :(
Do you have to break their will ? And then how given they refuse and end up unconscious if you're too harsh ??

Check out the |SLAVES| column.

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
That was fast! I thought it will require much more time for that. The food is a commodity of prime necessity, so there should be law that will forbid anyone to deplete the whole market..

The most punishing action for player will be taxes, but for now we don't have them at all. And probably you should also have trading license and pay trading fee if you enter different cities. I don't know if we really need all these complexities..

dmmt

May 8, 2020
Yes, but merchants usually travel great distances to profit like this.
His travel distance was literally 1-2 clicks.
Plus this is a game, i am not fine with this method making hunting and every other money making method useless because it's too damn effective. :whistle::coffee:
since it is not a MP game, but a SP game, if you dont like it, dont do it.

• Angry
Reactions: ♍VoidTraveler

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
So, while i was mulling over all that market business, another food related idea popped into my magnificent mind. :cool::coffee:

I'll call it: Abundant or Poor Harvest event.

Let's say that a lot of food supply in Ikaanos depends on farmers, which is only logical.
Let's say those farmers can have poor harvest or abundant harvest.
Let's say which of the two they will land this year depends on things like weather, and raiders.
Poor harvest if they were raided a lot, and had shit weather on top of that.
Abundant harvest if weather was good, and they were successful at defending the harvest from raiders.

Both shit weather and raiders will have their own chance to appear, and their own chance to roll for destroying/stealing the harvest.
Perhaps farmers could roll their own dice to successfully defend against raiders and/or even rolling for a solution to counter shit weather.

So why all this happens?
Of course poor harvest means higher food price, just like famine but separate from it (or not?)
And abundant harvest means cheap food, not sure if it should be separate from famine or replace it entirely when the harvest is successful though.

Perhaps players could have an active hand in this, as well?
Killing raiders to reduce the chance of them attacking farmers, or paying raiders to increase that chance. Could make these raiders respawn after a while so that this becomes sorta repeatable quest. Could maybe even outfit raiders to increase the chance of their attack roll succeeding at defeating the farmers defense roll. Could do the same thing for farmers to increase the chance that their defense roll will defeat raider's attack roll. Plenty of options here.

Anyway, that's the outline at the top of my head. Feel free to mull over the details yourself. :whistle::coffee:

Last edited:

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Read it, it doesn't help much figuring out what's needed to raise a slave value...Is low Willpower a decisive factor, or are her skills more valuable ?
Here is a copy from wiki:

You can obtain certain slaves for free in Raana or purchase them at Kymanto for varying amounts of money.

Develop these girls' obedience and useful skills. Then submit them to the Town Hall for testing and sell them if you believe the price is reasonable for the amount of time and effort you have invested in them. Excellent prices start at $15.000. If you want more, you must up the girl's abilities a few notches. We've heard rumors about the top girls garnering $18,000.

+ Influence | + Money | - Risk | + Skill-Requirements | ++ Money-Requirements

I haven't dipped my fingers into this because i don't really find it interesting so this is all that i can help with here. :giggle::coffee:

Reactions: Hephannon

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
Ah, yes and if it still this example with food, there should be seasons in game, when farmers actually harvest their crops. So famine as well as good harvest can only occur during this time. And if it will be famine, it should be shit for everyone, including the player. And it can last for months, Ikaanos should become dangerous for everyone, since people will get mad and criminal activity will rise. I think it's a dangerous rabbit hole. Even paradox interactive who making their strategy games for years still making mistakes and players still finding ways to abuse their games :p

Edit. I actually wrote it because I don't remember if Ikaanos in good terms with their neighbors, maybe they will help and it won't be that dramatic.

♍VoidTraveler

Forum Fanatic
Apr 14, 2021
Ah, yes and if it still this example with food, there should be seasons in game, when farmers actually harvest their crops. So famine as well as good harvest can only occur during this time. And if it will be famine, it should be shit for everyone, including the player. And it can last for months, Ikaanos should become dangerous for everyone, since people will get mad and criminal activity will rise. I think it's a dangerous rabbit hole. Even paradox interactive who making their strategy games for years still making mistakes and players still finding ways to abuse their games :p

Edit. I actually wrote it because I don't remember if Ikaanos in good terms with their neighbors, maybe they will help and it won't be that dramatic.
Well, at the very least, hunger could cause some npc's to have half their usual hp. Could be like a status effect perhaps.
And maybe rich targets like the player could land on events where they are attacked when traversing Ikaanos during these highly volatile times. Hm, there's another idea. :whistle::coffee:

Random hungry bandit: *Hey mate, nice shoes, can i have them?* :sneaky::coffee:

SharkVampire

Sep 12, 2018
Well, at the very least, hunger could cause some npc's to have half their usual hp. Could be like a status effect perhaps.
And maybe rich targets like the player could land on events where they are attacked when traversing Ikaanos during these highly volatile times. Hm, there's another idea. :whistle::coffee:

Random hungry bandit: *Hey mate, nice shoes, can i have them?* :sneaky::coffee:
Most likely, the player will need to defend his home every day from bandits. If influence it's the same as renown, people soon will find out that he is rich and that's mean he probably has food. They just don't know yet, that player is like these IRL weirdos who preparing for Apocalypse, was preparing thousands of rations in case of famine :D

And they all stored in his BDSM dungeon ;)

Konstantinus

Engaged Member
Feb 25, 2019
Most likely, the player will need to defend his home every day from bandits. If influence it's the same as renown, people soon will find out that he is rich and that's mean he probably has food. They just don't know yet, that player is like these IRL weirdos who preparing for Apocalypse, was preparing thousands of rations in case of famine :D

And they all stored in his BDSM dungeon ;)
Would love if people would come to attack me. Would make all the money invested in security and the training of three battle slaves not go to waste and it would spare me the hazzle of searching for them.

GD-studios

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2021
Would love if people would come to attack me. Would make all the money invested in security and the training of three battle slaves not go to waste and it would spare me the hazzle of searching for them.
This is something I'll be able to program much easier with the new Event (and escape) engine that's coming "soon".

Been harassing a lot of raiders down in Stokke Hills lately? Well, expect payback - especially if Skyguard is in the lows.

GD-studios

Game Developer
Nov 20, 2021
So, while i was mulling over all that market business, another food related idea popped into my magnificent mind. :cool::coffee:

I'll call it: Abundant or Poor Harvest event.

Let's say that a lot of food supply in Ikaanos depends on farmers, which is only logical.
Let's say those farmers can have poor harvest or abundant harvest.
Let's say which of the two they will land this year depends on things like weather, and raiders.
Poor harvest if they were raided a lot, and had shit weather on top of that.
Abundant harvest if weather was good, and they were successful at defending the harvest from raiders.

Both shit weather and raiders will have their own chance to appear, and their own chance to roll for destroying/stealing the harvest.
Perhaps farmers could roll their own dice to successfully defend against raiders and/or even rolling for a solution to counter shit weather.

So why all this happens?
Of course poor harvest means higher food price, just like famine but separate from it (or not?)
And abundant harvest means cheap food, not sure if it should be separate from famine or replace it entirely when the harvest is successful though.

Perhaps players could have an active hand in this, as well?
Killing raiders to reduce the chance of them attacking farmers, or paying raiders to increase that chance. Could make these raiders respawn after a while so that this becomes sorta repeatable quest. Could maybe even outfit raiders to increase the chance of their attack roll succeeding at defeating the farmers defense roll. Could do the same thing for farmers to increase the chance that their defense roll will defeat raider's attack roll. Plenty of options here.

Anyway, that's the outline at the top of my head. Feel free to mull over the details yourself. :whistle::coffee:
Cool ideas.

I think I eventually need to separate the food/famine/scourge stuff from the event engine and make them more seasonal and long-term.

A famine should stick around for a minimum amount of weeks, for instance.

Also coming soon: Energy crisis - Fusion fluxations. Meaning increased Maintenance. ;)

mrttao

Forum Fanatic
Jun 11, 2021
Simply an indicator that you're both reasonably intelligent and open minded individuals.

As to the discussion at hand...
Spoilage.
Some foods can be stored longer then others, but no food can be stored indefinitely. (Ever tried something that's been in the freezer too long? :sick: )
So... folks could buy as much as they want... but if they don't sell it in a timely fashion, it rots.
I think this would be too difficult to implement. Also, could be abstracted as you intentionally storing foods that last years (liked dried rice and beans, or canned food) and possibly cycling them out (sell old rice and use the money to buy fresh rice).

4.50 star(s) 117 Votes