Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
That trait is kinda weak imo. Other expert traits are much better.
What it does give you is something that's difficult to get any other way and tough (and potentially expensive!) to grind: Bondage and Flagellation. You get an extra 25 Bondage and 15 Flagellation from taking that third tier, and those stats you can't just raise on the Attributes and Skills tab.

I think he put a lot of thought into it, I've not yet decided on any 'must have' picks, though there are those I'm definitely more inclined to pick. 'Expert' soldier seemed the best to me until I realized only the cheap Ammo Pack merc is not obsolete in about thirty days, which is what it usually takes me to get everyone outfitted in Duraplate and with Coilguns at the very least.

Reactions: WakamoSato

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
How can you get so much money so fast?
Beat people up and take their stuff!

Edit to add:

Get in a bounty a day, every day, and keep the forts on Marston Avenue and Stokke Hills clear (they are recurring targets). There's also a recurring target in the upper left of Watery Eyes (a lone freebooter with a rifle you can sell) and another in the lower left of Stokke Hills. Take those out ASAP so you keep getting more, also make sure you take at least one alive to sell from every battle if you can. Do the quick easy quests as soon as practicable and don't waste money on anything you don't need until you all have Duraplate. I considered the old house upgrades and Rebecca as things worth spending on, but not much else except Combat Armor as the first step to Duraplate. I've not yet decided which house upgrades I'll prioritize in the newest versions, I can't get much farther than the character creation as I can't decide what I want to play most!

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
House upgrades are definitely more of a long term project in the latest version considering how many of them there are and how expensive some of the upgrades are. Personally I would focus on the yard options first, especially your first workshop and the Gazebo (specifically for pool parties).

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
House upgrades are definitely more of a long term project in the latest version considering how many of them there are and how expensive some of the upgrades are. Personally I would focus on the yard options first, especially your first workshop and the Gazebo (specifically for pool parties).
I lucked into buying those first and I agree, the workshop especially is such a boon I probably should fit it in before Duraplate, but maybe not Combat Armor as that's a money-maker in itself allowing you to take out higher level targets and making all cheaper as you won't have to spend nearly as much on tendstims.

What do you think about the new character creation system? I can't get past the first day as I always want to try another combination out. I figured out I can hold my nose (required as I have to take Body Odor!) and take enough negative attributes I can be an expert in a field on the 120 point Grimdark setting while taking only one that truly limits future development, but I've enjoyed playing around with the 280 point setting so much I think I'm going to play that way. I just can't decide which configuration I like best. I really want to try Hunter as I think I can game it with Loren that I'll have no difficulty with money and I'll have a decent combat build just from Hunting Expert, but I can't decide how to spend the rest....or decide I just must have little miss Adora Sanor from the get-go with all the goodies (her quest). I found a Combat Veteran to make the opening much easier, but then again I can manage without it and I have to fit the new guy into my merc teams and haven't figured out who I want to drop from my eventual 'A-Team.'

Doctor looks good too, especially if combined with Soldier. Slaver is another tough one to not want to get to the second level at least. I think Grim outdid himself on this new system, I can't stop playing with it. I may never strip, whip, and sodomize senseless another slavegirl as I'm still playing with the character creation system!

Last edited:

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I lucked into buying those first and I agree, the workshop especially is such a boon I probably should fit it in before Duraplate, but maybe not Combat Armor as that's a money-maker in itself allowing you to take out higher level targets and making all cheaper as you won't have to spend nearly as much on tendstims.
It partly depends on which mercs you plan on taking IMO. Felix, Space Marine, and the new guy who's name I forget all come with Combat armor. So if you take weave armor for MC you won't need to tank the advanced tactics fights. Duraplate is better but it's more expensive in case you have competing priorities. I like to grab both Weave and Duraplate eventually anyway so I can switch back and forth a bit to spread the damage around so my quartermaster can fix it better.

What do you think about the new character creation system? I can't get past the first day as I always want to try another combination out. I figured out I can hold my nose (required as I have to take Body Odor!) and take enough negative attributes I can be an expert in a field on the 120 point Grimdark setting while taking only one that truly limits future development, but I've enjoyed playing around with the 280 point setting so much I think I'm going to play that way. I just can't decide which configuration I like best. I really want to try Hunter as I think I can game it with Loren that I'll have no difficulty with money and I'll have a decent combat build just from Hunting Expert, but I can't decide how to spend the rest....or decide I just must have little miss Adora Sanor from the get-go with all the goodies (her quest). I found a Combat Veteran to make the opening much easier, but then again I can manage without it and I have to fit the new guy into my merc teams and haven't figured out who I want to drop from my eventual 'A-Team.'

Doctor looks good too, especially if combined with Soldier. Slaver is another tough one to not want to get to the second level at least. I think Grim outdid himself on this new system, I can't stop playing with it. I may never strip, whip, and sodomize senseless another slavegirl as I'm still playing with the character creation system!
I like the new system overall but it really depends a lot on whether you're doing a rise from the ashes start, a normal start, or an enhanced start. With a rise start you pretty much have to pick some negative stuff if you want to have enough points to get much. If you do an enhanced start you can get almost all the good stuff. I'm still playing around with the enhanced starts for now just to see how stuff works.

The current expert perks are kind of an interesting choice. I think from a raw min/max power perspective the business expert is the best because of the combination of investment boost and workshop boost. From a story/RP perspective I like the slave trader better because it gets me another slave with a quest/backstory that ties in to MC's background. I won't make as much money as the business option but eventually you build up to enough that a little extra doesn't matter that much.

I think for a rise start I would definitely want both deadly strike and tough. I'm not sure what else I would pick since I'm not sure how many extra points I could scrounge up. I think Brainy is also a must have. Problem is with a rise start that might mean it's not possible to also get an expert class unless you take pretty much all the negative traits.

Last edited:

Clemency

Jan 21, 2024
How many points do I start with in the character creation screen if I am making a new account? Or do each screen (Attributes, Skill Classes, and Traits) have their own points you can spend?

My shortlist right now is definitely
  • Brainy: -20
  • Debt: +15
  • Deadly Strike: -50
  • Disciplined: -30
  • Massive Load: 0
  • Teen Subduer: -20
Debt is not debilitating. Deadly strike scales harder then the rest and melee combat does not cost ammo. Massive load is free. Teen subduer to get an early headstart with Rebecca and Aria.

Last edited:

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
It partly depends on which mercs you plan on taking IMO. Felix, Space Marine, and the new guy who's name I forget all come with Combat armor. So if you take weave armor for MC you won't need to tank the advanced tactics fights. Duraplate is better but it's more expensive in case you have competing priorities. I like to grab both Weave and Duraplate eventually anyway so I can switch back and forth a bit to spread the damage around so my quartermaster can fix it better.

I like the new system overall but it really depends a lot on whether you're doing a rise from the ashes start, a normal start, or an enhanced start. With a rise start you pretty much have to pick some negative stuff if you want to have enough points to get much. If you do an enhanced start you can get almost all the good stuff. I'm still playing around with the enhanced starts for now just to see how stuff works.
I didn't play around much with the MoR Enhanced as it seemed I could get whatever I wanted and still have points left over I had to spend on something I didn't really want/need.

With Rise from the Ashes I could get to an Expert Level, but needed to take pretty much all the negatives including at least one that limits you to a max of seventy which I really don't want to do for any stat.

The current expert perks are kind of an interesting choice. I think from a raw min/max power perspective the business expert is the best because of the combination of investment boost and workshop boost. From a story/RP perspective I like the slave trader better because it gets me another slave with a quest/backstory that ties in to MC's background. I won't make as much money as the business option but eventually you build up to enough that a little extra doesn't matter that much.
I was thinking Business Expert was kinda mediocre, what does 5% really amount to in the long run anyway? Eventually I'll have plenty of money anyway, I don't see me needing that extra 5%. The workshop bonus is a nice kicker, but again once I get there will I really need it?

I think for a rise start I would definitely want both deadly strike and tough. I'm not sure what else I would pick since I'm not sure how many extra points I could scrounge up. I think Brainy is also a must have. Problem is with a rise start that might mean it's not possible to also get an expert class unless you take pretty much all the negative traits.
I really don't like the idea of limiting my character to a max of 70 in any stat, so I wouldn't take any of those unless I absolutely had to. I do tend to think Deadly Strike is better than Crackshot as the latter has a negative in that you won't want to fire at anyone you wanted to capture, and Deadly Strike makes captures easier. It sounds like in the new system Brainy might not be as useful as all it will add is another one point or so per stat per book, I can live without that and I can manage if it takes me a little longer to finish a book. Tough looked nice at first, but is it really that big a deal to take 38 points instead of 40?

Reactions: khumak

Gunner Rey

Aug 15, 2018
How many points do I start with in the character creation screen if I am making a new account? Or do each screen (Attributes, Skill Classes, and Traits) have their own points you can spend?

My shortlist right now is definitely
  • Brainy: -20
  • Debt: +15
  • Deadly Strike: -50
  • Disciplined: -30
  • Massive Load: 0
  • Teen Subduer: -20
Debt is not debilitating. Deadly strike scales harder then the rest and melee combat does not cost ammo. Massive load is free. Teen subduer to get an early headstart with Rebecca and Aria.
For a Rise from the Ashes you get 120 points, 280 for a normal one. I don't remember what it was for Enhanced outside I had trouble spending them all.

Each level of a profession (Doctor/Scholar/Hunter/Soldier/Businessman/Slaver costs 20 for level one, 60 more for level 2 and 120 extra for Expert level and only one can be expert. You can only pick in three catagories max.

I can live with the debt too, as well as Unlucky which I figure is probably just random damage/cash loss/stamina drain every fifty days or so. I don't like the idea of being Gluttonous but have managed to convince myself it doesn't mean I will get fat and will require me to work on Stamina more later on once I've gotten to the soft cap which I should do anyway to train my new girls in that stat anyway. I have figured that once you get the stables upgrade Limp won't hurt you and you can train that 5 points of dex back. I really don't want body odor as it gives me an 'Ick' feeling thinking about my character, but for some configurations I can convince myself I'll just shower more regularly and I usually do spend an inordinate amount of time at the Baths/Pool anyay. Still don't want that one though.

Last edited:
Reactions: khumak and Clemency

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
I didn't play around much with the MoR Enhanced as it seemed I could get whatever I wanted and still have points left over I had to spend on something I didn't really want/need.

With Rise from the Ashes I could get to an Expert Level, but needed to take pretty much all the negatives including at least one that limits you to a max of seventy which I really don't want to do for any stat.
Yeah the enhanced start is definitely overpowered and gives you way more than you need. You get 750 and can still take disadvantages on top of that to get even more if you want.

I was thinking Business Expert was kinda mediocre, what does 5% really amount to in the long run anyway? Eventually I'll have plenty of money anyway, I don't see me needing that extra 5%. The workshop bonus is a nice kicker, but again once I get there will I really need it?
Well I'm thinking compared to the other expert perks. The stuff from soldier I can just buy. I already have 2 hunting sites so unless there's something special about the new one I'm not sure it provides much value unless I'm going to do a LOT of hunting. The academic thing I could see doing if I was going to be an atheist and wanted to RP a professor build or something but otherwise it seems like it's giving you a similar but lessor advantage to the business one. Doctor makes healing a bit easier but I can pump that up to 90 just using stabilize and doctor's kits anyway. So to me that leaves a choice between Business vs Slaver with Business giving me the most money and Slaver giving me an actual quest and some additional story background. So overall I like the slaver option better.

I really don't like the idea of limiting my character to a max of 70 in any stat, so I wouldn't take any of those unless I absolutely had to. I do tend to think Deadly Strike is better than Crackshot as the latter has a negative in that you won't want to fire at anyone you wanted to capture, and Deadly Strike makes captures easier. It sounds like in the new system Brainy might not be as useful as all it will add is another one point or so per stat per book, I can live without that and I can manage if it takes me a little longer to finish a book. Tough looked nice at first, but is it really that big a deal to take 38 points instead of 40?
Yeah I will have to play around with a normal or rise start a bit more before I decide which disadvantages I can live with and which ones I can't. I think Debt and Limp are the only 2 no brainers since you can completely counteract those 2. I agree about not really wanting a 70 pt stat cap on anything, but that's not as bad as pacifist.

As far as I know Tough is 8% so that could make a significant difference if you're in a tough fight where MC ends up tanking. There are instances with advanced tactics where MC tanks no matter what you do in my experience, even if he's using his fists. So 8% less damage per hit applied to multiple plasma shots and maybe even a cyber cannon is a big deal to me. For a rise start I think combat veteran might be your only choice for an expert perk if you also want deadly strike and tough, but I'm not sure on that. I guess if you take enough disadvantages you could maybe sqeeze in 1 or 2 levels of soldier and still get expert in something else but I think you'd probably have to take all of the 70 pt stat limits to do that.

I think the disadvantages I'd be most willing to live with for a rise start are debt, limp, near sighted, and unlucky. If I had to take more I could maybe convince myself into body odor,. Weak willed is the only stat cap I might consider but I would only take that if I had to. I think Gluttonous would annoy me since it drains your max stamina down to 49 I would have to train stamina literally forever to counteract it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gunner Rey

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
Out of curiosity I just tried a rise start with the goal of taking both deadly strike and tough while also taking an expert class that was not soldier. It's possible but you have to take literally ALL of the disadvantages except pacifist and have 15 pts left over. Yikes. I think I would probably just go with a soldier build for a rise start. Technically you could decide not to take a 10 or 15 pt disadvantage so I would probably not take body odor.

Reactions: Gunner Rey

khumak

Engaged Member
Oct 2, 2017
The new implant for the enhanced version throws a bit of a monkey wrench into starting options now. It sounds like it might eventually be possible to buy it from the mastersphere for a massive amount of money, but for now an enhanced start is the only way to get it and it's pretty strong if you care about combat at all. implant.jpg

4.50 star(s) 117 Votes