jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
Sadly I deleted that one when I installed 27 some time back - and didn't play - and then recently emptied the trash. They are gone. :(
I'm a little confused. You say you think you were on v0.26 before you took a break, but you also say the last time you think you played was November.

V0.27 came out in November.

You say in your first post you downloaded the update today ... but then in this second post you say you installed v0.27 some time back. If you already installed v0.27 ... why did you download the update-only version of v0.27?

If you deleted the game previously or if this is someone's first time playing the game - then it is necessary to download the entire game (see below, marked #1) for the appropriate OS.

Midlife Crisis updates are chapter based. If you have v0.26 installed, then you only need to download the update for v0.27 shown in the OP (see below, marked #2). It's chapter based, so each update file is only that chapter.

1.png

buttfan

Feb 24, 2021
It's not nearly as complicated as you seem to think it is.

I was playing on (probably) version 0.26. I stopped playing in November, last save is dated Nov. 17.
I don't know when 0.27 came out, but I downloaded it at some point and unpacked it to the hard drive. Moved my saves over, and deleted the old version, but did not play at that time.
Recently I emptied my trash, old version go bye-bye.
Today I went to play after the long hiatus, and when I did, it threw the error.
I downloaded the 0.27a version. The one you indicate as (1) is the full version of 0.27, if my copy of 0.27 was messed up, I did not want to merely update it. Installed and went to play then got the same error.
Came here, looked at the forum, tried various things to restore the game, none worked.
Posted my message.

Several steps, but very straight forward.
If this is still too complicated, I do not know how to make it simpler for you.

As for downloading the full version instead of the update only back when I updataed to 0.27... who knows, maybe I did? Maybe I dl'd the full version and deleted the old one. I don't really remember, or care. Either way, the version on my HD today did not work.

lemonfreak

The Freakiest of Lemons
Oct 24, 2018
It's not nearly as complicated as you seem to think it is.

I was playing on (probably) version 0.26. I stopped playing in November, last save is dated Nov. 17.
I don't know when 0.27 came out, but I downloaded it at some point and unpacked it to the hard drive. Moved my saves over, and deleted the old version, but did not play at that time.
Recently I emptied my trash, old version go bye-bye.
Today I went to play after the long hiatus, and when I did, it threw the error.
I downloaded the 0.27a version. The one you indicate as (1) is the full version of 0.27, if my copy of 0.27 was messed up, I did not want to merely update it. Installed and went to play then got the same error.
Came here, looked at the forum, tried various things to restore the game, none worked.
Posted my message.

Several steps, but very straight forward.
If this is still too complicated, I do not know how to make it simpler for you.

As for downloading the full version instead of the update only back when I updataed to 0.27... who knows, maybe I did? Maybe I dl'd the full version and deleted the old one. I don't really remember, or care. Either way, the version on my HD today did not work.
Have you previously used the gallery mod? This has been a frequent issue when attempting to continue old saves. If you have then you may need to delete your old saves from appdata/roaming/renpy and start from scratch.

Alternatively, what software do you use to unpack your games. I use 7zip as, in over 15 years, it has never failed me and is 100% free.

buttfan

Feb 24, 2021
Have you previously used the gallery mod? This has been a frequent issue when attempting to continue old saves. If you have then you may need to delete your old saves from appdata/roaming/renpy and start from scratch.
I installed it this time, but I can do a fresh install without it. I haven't used it in the past.
I do use the Courteous Mod for a less antagonistic but distant relationship with the wife.

Alternatively, what software do you use to unpack your games. I use 7zip as, in over 15 years, it has never failed me and is 100% free.
I mostly use WinRAR, but have 7zip that I use when things are being troublesome.
Hadn't thought to try that, I will do the clean install without the gallery mod and unpack it with 7zip, see if that helps.
Thanks for the idea.

UPDATE: Did the fresh install with 7zip, I wasn't able to open my latest save, but one from a few days earlier opened without issue.
I can accept that and will declare that success!

Thanks. (y)

Last edited:

sivaario

Nov 5, 2019
So, i am not currently in Nefastus Discord. Update should be right around the corner. Is early access for subs already available, or still no news when update his?

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
So, i am not currently in Nefastus Discord. Update should be right around the corner. Is early access for subs already available, or still no news when update his?
Do they have a discord? Interesting, I only see a patreon and subscribstar. On neither have they posted an update since Xmas.

This was on the previous page (I feel like I'm repeating myself). Unless something magical happens - probably at least the end of the month or later since every update has taken at least two months and up to four.

Scrolling back a page or so, checking the OP, or using the the search box in the upper right hand corner of every page in this thread can usually get the answers you are looking for.
any update of this game?
This was on the previous page. Unless something magical happens - probably at least a month from now since every update has taken at least two months and up to four.
Well, given that the current version, v0.27, only came out 5 weeks ago (Nov 20?) ... it's most likely at least another month away. You can see when the last update occurred by looking at the "Release Date" area of the OP. The Nov 24 update was the bugfix, v0.27a, of the current version. v0.27 was about 2 months from v0.26 (Sep 20?), and that was more than 4 months after v0.25 (May 12?). The two prior to that were about 2 and 3 months, a piece.

Reactions: Snugglepuff

jaw1986baby

Chasing Redhead sm0ls
Donor
Jun 2, 2017
FROM SUBSTAR:

Sunday...ish Update

Well the holidays saw me lose track of keeping up with the Sunday updates, but will be back on it now. This update is a bit bigger than usual with almost every character being involved. That said, I am aiming for the 25th for the updates release. Once I realized I was going to go into January regardless of what I tried to get in, I figured I would just take the extra time and deliver what I had planned in it's entirety rather than dividing it into two updates.

botc76

The Crawling Chaos, Bringer of Strange Joy
Donor
Oct 23, 2016

On Patreon he posted that since the update was taking longer, probably because it involves nearly all characters (and as Freki pointed out, thus being nearly double the usual length), and he realized it wouldn't be finished in December anyway, so as not to split it in two he decided to move the update to the end of January.

Last edited:
Reactions: D Dog and haooni

Freki

Game Developer
May 16, 2017
On Patreon he posted that since the update was taking longer, probably because it involves nearly all characters, and he realized it wouldn't be finished in December anyway, to move the update to the end of January.
he also said it will be almost double the normal update length and he didn't want to break it into two updates so he's doing one that encompases december and january

Reactions: haooni and botc76

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
he also said it will be almost double the normal update length and he didn't want to break it into two updates so he's doing one that encompases december and january
That he did, wasn't trying to write an opera, though. :cool:

But I did update my post to include the information.

jestertlw

Nov 23, 2019
That he did, wasn't trying to write an opera, though. :cool:

But I did update my post to include the information.
Ya'all didn't notice that jaw1986baby had already copy/pasted the subscribestar update 7 hours ago from the developer, themselves that basically already stated what you two followed up with?

botc76

Donor
Oct 23, 2016
Ya'all didn't notice that jaw1986baby had already copy/pasted the subscribestar update 7 hours ago from the developer, themselves that basically already stated what you two followed up with?
Since people always keep asking the same questions, and it didn't take a lot of time to answer, and sometimes people just check if their posts have been directly answered, I figured I might as well answer the question specifically.
And yes, at the moment I pressed reply and answered the question I had not continued to read to the end of the thread yet.

It's not like this is causing any discomfort, or is it?

4.40 star(s) 188 Votes