Macfinn99

Jun 20, 2017
There is, just use the search box in the upper right hand corner of any page of this thread to search for the word compressed and you will find it.
Thank you, I did use the search and wound up with 19 pages of posts, and I only backtracked 2 pages from the end before I had to get offline. I just didn't go back far enough

iopq

Feb 16, 2018
is there any content update from .25 to the current?

Changelog doesn't really reflect anything

edit: Downloading anyway.

CassidyPRO

Jul 6, 2017
AND those particular updates were MIND NUMBING! This game is really really good! I simply cannot wait for 0.28 (at the time of this writing)...

Dear Nefastus: Thank you very much for this game. Please please release 0.28 soon?

ok dude.. we get it already.. you like the game.. cool..

Penfold Mole

Engaged Member
Respected User
May 22, 2017
Thank you, I did use the search and wound up with 19 pages of posts, and I only backtracked 2 pages from the end before I had to get offline. I just didn't go back far enough
Open your forum account profile and select "Preferences" from the menu, then select "Most recent" under search options to get search results ordered by date.

Jan 10, 2020
did a search for "install update" in this thread, n tried putting both files in update link in "/game" file n "/renpy" file (separately of course). when i do game file, i get error log, n nothing happens when i put them in renpy file. v0.25 worked perfectly for me, n i used to be able to d/l updates only n still play the game...but now it's not working; help please? where do i need to put the update files? thx

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
did a search for "install update" in this thread, n tried putting both files in update link in "/game" file n "/renpy" file (separately of course). when i do game file, i get error log, n nothing happens when i put them in renpy file. v0.25 worked perfectly for me, n i used to be able to d/l updates only n still play the game...but now it's not working; help please? where do i need to put the update files? thx
You mentioned that v0.25 worked for you, but you didn't mention if v0.26 update worked specifically for you.
To confirm, did you install v0.26 update when it was available or is the last time you played v0.25?
And if you get an error log, you should include it when asking for help. There are folks who can use that to assist you (though not necessarily me).

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Most of the time updates should be copied in the main folder, however not always. Updates can be differently organized depending on who compiles and uploads the update, never mind between games.

My suggestion is: Make a new subfolder of the game folder called "Update" or similar, and extract the update first in there. Usually then names of folders or file endings should show where to put it. You will also find out whether there was even another folder step hidden. After you moved all files, you can then delete the update folder again.

Also a warning: once you put files into the wrong folder, there is always a risk that it has contaminated the game and the quickest solution would be to download the whole game. Normally that should not happen since the program won't look for those files there, but depending on structuring and naming it can happen. (Preferrably in 12 GB games which you'll have to download from "SnailMailFileShare".)

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
The complexity of updating games, especially when you are not familiar with the process, and especially when they are games of this size argues for a backup strategy. I would recommend that you take your original game folder (MidLifeCrisis-0.25-pc) and make a copy of that folder, which could be called MidLifeCrisis-0.25-pc-backup. Then go ahead and try to update the main folder. If you bork things, then you can just restore the backup folder and make it your main game folder and you don't have to download the whole . freakin . thing. I do this with other games like Being a DIK which is enormous, but I know that sometimes mods can make the game wonky or completely dysfunctional, and I don't want to have to download the whole thing again.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
The complexity of updating games, especially when you are not familiar with the process, and especially when they are games of this size argues for a backup strategy. I would recommend that you take your original game folder (MidLifeCrisis-0.25-pc) and make a copy of that folder, which could be called MidLifeCrisis-0.25-pc-backup. Then go ahead and try to update the main folder. If you bork things, then you can just restore the backup folder and make it your main game folder and you don't have to download the whole . freakin . thing. I do this with other games like Being a DIK which is enormous, but I know that sometimes mods can make the game wonky or completely dysfunctional, and I don't want to have to download the whole thing again.
Good advice. The big brother of "keep a save from before you cheat on the console" in some way.

Reactions: murishani

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Good advice. The big brother of "keep a save from before you cheat on the console" in some way.
Yeah, that too. But on a whole game level. It's good practice, especially as games start getting really huge and require lengthy downloads.

Jan 10, 2020
You mentioned that v0.25 worked for you, but you didn't mention if v0.26 update worked specifically for you.
To confirm, did you install v0.26 update when it was available or is the last time you played v0.25?
And if you get an error log, you should include it when asking for help. There are folks who can use that to assist you (though not necessarily me).
like i said, last time i played was v0.25...n the link says it's both v0.26 n v0.27; n i did make a copy of the main file so as to not screw up what i already had downloaded. so i guess i'll just put it in the main folder, n see what happens? n for those of you who only d/l'd the update, where did you put it?

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
like i said, last time i played was v0.25...n the link says it's both v0.26 n v0.27; n i did make a copy of the main file so as to not screw up what i already had downloaded. so i guess i'll just put it in the main folder, n see what happens? n for those of you who only d/l'd the update, where did you put it?
For me the link says "26 to 27a". That means it updates an old V0.26 to V0.27a. If you have V0.25 you're missing the new stuff from 0.26.

Generally speaking, updates only cover one version jump. It is possible to make updates compatible with more older versions but that'd lose part of the advantage of having anly to download a (comparatively) small file.

Jan 10, 2020
Just throw everything in the zipped "game" folder into your copy's "game" folder and overwrite where necessary. This should work. If not, backup your game save files and re-install the latest version completely. Your game saves should still be in tact, allowing you to continue to game story.

You are in for a treat.
so i realized i made a mistake in thinking that the update link was both v26 n v27, when it's just v27. so i searched for n found a v26 update only file, d/l'd n copied the 2 files from it (scripts.rpa n Chap26.rpa), put them in the /game file like you said, n i'm still getting an error message:
midlife crisis.png

n i tried adding v27 in with it, but coming up w/same problem...help!!

PBS666

Engaged Member
Feb 19, 2019
so i realized i made a mistake in thinking that the update link was both v26 n v27, when it's just v27. so i searched for n found a v26 update only file, d/l'd n copied the 2 files from it (scripts.rpa n Chap26.rpa), put them in the /game file like you said, n i'm still getting an error message:
View attachment 1618861

n i tried adding v27 in with it, but coming up w/same problem...help!!
Version 0.25 uses Ren'py 7.0.0. Later versions use Ren'py 7.4.5. Updating the scripts without updating the Ren'py runtime is bound to cause trouble. See this post : https://f95zone.to/threads/midlife-crisis-v0-27a-public-nefastus-games.20427/post-6570629

Reactions: Count Morado

Count Morado

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
Jan 21, 2022
For me the link says "26 to 27a". That means it updates an old V0.26 to V0.27a. If you have V0.25 you're missing the new stuff from 0.26.

Generally speaking, updates only cover one version jump. It is possible to make updates compatible with more older versions but that'd lose part of the advantage of having anly to download a (comparatively) small file.
Thanks. This was one of my concerns when I asked them about the last version they played.

Version 0.25 uses Ren'py 7.0.0. Later versions use Ren'py 7.4.5. Updating the scripts without updating the Ren'py runtime is bound to cause trouble. See this post : https://f95zone.to/threads/midlife-crisis-v0-27a-public-nefastus-games.20427/post-6570629
And this was the other. I'm glad they posted the error screenshot. Thanks for the tech assist.

Reactions: PBS666
4.40 star(s) 188 Votes