Sep 10, 2022
He wouldn't even be close to the earnings he's getting from Patreon right now if his previous game hadn't been posted here.
Of course, that's something I posted in this thread about the controversy in the June update. I don't understand such arrogance when your game became popular thanks to this forum and its users. Or is it that the dev thinks that his subscribers come from... Epic Games or?
Also as stated, their subscribers pay to show their support for the game they don't actually pay to play it early. Making us wait a whole month to play is boring.:sleep:

srbot2016

Aug 5, 2016
Of course, that's something I posted in this thread about the controversy in the June update. I don't understand such arrogance when your game became popular thanks to this forum and its users. Or is it that the dev thinks that his subscribers come from... Epic Games or?
Also as stated, their subscribers pay to show their support for the game they don't actually pay to play it early. Making us wait a whole month to play is boring.:sleep:
I personally don't care about waiting, I have backlog of few hundred games to play on steam or on this site and no time to play, it's the preaching that annoys me. I'm not saying this was the case with this dev but a lot of games that are actively in development used in the early versions or are still using pirated assets or software for renders or devs are using code from other projects to learn to how to structure their own projects. So it's fine for them to get free exposure and help with finding bugs here until they get enough supporters on Patreon and then they try to treat this site as an advertisement banner and are whining about the project being leaked here. Is it really a piracy if the game does not have any ToS included and is not sold anywhere?

Turret

Engaged Member
Jun 23, 2017
And now we have what I estimated months ago: If both sides do not stop the spiral, what neither Slowburn nor Viper did, the end result leaves only losers!
Viper lost direct access to a game he was passionate about and went a bit too far there, Slowburn will see while he won "this round", he lost too due the way he did it. It was not the most graceful way from the start and if it is correct that the special version was a trojan as has been said, that would be a mark which does not really go away. As one user correctly wrote (paraphrased): It is not the "Epics" and "Steamers" which are his main patrons!
And we non-patrons ( due to whatever reason) are losers too, since we will now have to wait a full month again instead of a few days. And this month will not only hurt us, but Slowburn too. Unless you make a very niche game in your free time, aimed at a specific audience, a month for the public version is simply too long today.

We see this with some of the most successful games on F95 like "Pale Carnations" or "Free Pass" to name some, which release a public version 1-2 weeks after patron release. Long enough for patron stuff, but also quick enough to keep the interest of the wider audience.

I can see both Viper and Slowburns arguments. Viper was both right and wrong. Right in his obvious passion for the game (to get access this early he must have patroned quite a bit if money over time) and wrong in his leaks within hours. If he would have kept at it with a say 2-3 days delay, all this might have been evaded.
Slowburn was also right and wrong. He was right about overfast leaks hurting his patronage and it is fully understandable that he acted, but he was also wrong in how he did it and came across. His positions were communicated rather bad (even a non-native speaker like me envisioned something like motivated by greed) and a troll release will not really help, esp. when we have developers on site who have few patrons but still release the public version within a couple days of the patron one and bear leaks with a grin.

As said we all lost due to very much a replay of "Rebel without a cause"!

WuzzyFuzzy

Jan 23, 2020
And now we have what I estimated months ago: If both sides do not stop the spiral, what neither Slowburn nor Viper did, the end result leaves only losers!
...etc...
Well-stated, rational response.

I would go a bit further and throw out a reflection or two about how I see things.

I spent a lot of years running a video production company (now retired @ > 60 y/o) and so I know a wee bit about marketing and publicity. Over the past few years I've watched similar (although rarely to this extreme) situations play out between developers and consumers. Some devs understand the old adage that there's no such thing as bad publicity. When your product is put in front of the masses, good things usually happen, although when it happens may not be to the producer's expectations which can then lead to disappointment.

Most of these devs operate without some big marketing campaign such as accompanies a movie release or an A-level game. So how do they promote? Well, here (as in F95) and here is a great place. Some devs may disagree, but where else are they going to place their product in front of tens of thousands of potential consumers at zero cost? No way can I make a game and place it only on Patreon and expect to draw any large number of consumers. But here, one has to play the long game and expect that once people can depend on you to stay the course and your product is a good one, then people will usually play then pay. Maybe this release picks up 10 more subscribers, which is 10 more than before. Next release a few more, then a few more after that. Finish a game in a reasonable amount of time and you'll build a good following and have a nice base for the next game. Almost all the successful games and devs on this site are gracious, hang out here and answer questions and sure they'd all like to have more money, but they recognize one way to lose business in a hurry is to antagonize. That approach will not work.

Lastly, devs need to understand that having people pay you for an unfinished product is outside the norm (and you can call it whatever you wish, but money changes hands and the dev is being paid). If devs can operate under that premise then fine, I'm all for it. I never once, ever, had anyone pay me up front for a job. All the computers, all the cameras, all the lights, all the assistance I had to foot the bill. I had to go to the bank and get money and take the gamble. Most devs here are taking almost no gamble at all. That's why I do not, and will not, pay for something until it's finished. If a dev can get others to do it and others wish to do it I'm fine. Everyone should have the freedom to spend as they wish. But I (and I know others of similar mindset) will send $$ to a dev if and when their product is finished (and I think it worthy of reward). But what's happened here will surely give folks like me pause.

Be gracious, have a thick skin and take pride in making a good product. The rest will take care of itself.

Blueray

Aug 27, 2020
Um i am having a Problem in the New Update i am in the Kitchen talking to his dad about something then he says now Bend over and take wats coming to you ? then it went back to the start of the title screen i don.t no why it did that?

Dmob_6438

Dec 17, 2020
So when is this update supposed to be release, like i would love to see more with this story and i would love to see Clara have sex with someone else next like Sebastian, Eric, Eustace, the boss or MC dad

3.70 star(s) 67 Votes