Bob-of-Rovia

Apr 25, 2018
Did you ever get an answer to this?
The Ren'py copy paste code crashed on me twice during the scenes and now I'm stuck at the cellar (as the scenes repeats) and I can't train stamina or fixing the axe. I have 8 or 9 air rifles...
Have you ever used cheats or rollback (not saving)?

t727

Jan 4, 2018
Have you ever used cheats or rollback (not saving)?
I didn't use any cheats here.
The problem seemed to be that I played the "easy mode" and some place in code it didn't handle setting variable values so it crashed.
I restarted now on "normal mode" and it's working better (no script crash as of yet at least)

Grober

Jun 1, 2019
Started the game. According to the game must "Head out on you first expedition" . However, I can't go any further

Bob-of-Rovia

Apr 25, 2018
Started the game. According to the game must "Head out on you first expedition" . However, I can't go any further
To start, equip the knife in the inventory, then go to your room and click on the table with the map (they are in the middle of the room, and the activation marker is somewhere in the center of them), then follow the instructions. If there is still no table, it means that something is not opened in the plot. Another possible bug is that you can't use the tools in battle (there were similar complaints, but on the translated version on another site), here I do not know.

Ankhesenamun

Dec 17, 2017
Anyone know how to pronounce the name "Noreia"? Is the I silent?

"Noreia" is a latin word associated with Celtic mythology (I don't remember if that was a goddess, a character or a place). In order to pronounce it correctly, we can split it into three syllables: Nor-ei-a.

"Nor" reads like in "Nordic", with the R spelled with a whiplash of your tongue;
"Ei" reads like in "hey!", without the H - just "ey";
"A" reads like the first A in "tantrum", only a little softer, but I can't convey it in text. So it's loosely pronounced:

[Nor] dic
H [ey]
T [a] ntrum

My mother language is latin-based, and it hurts when I have to hear the anglo-saxonic accent on latin names (Morkow Pollow, Heydwriannuh, Djuuliuhs) with the worst of all clearly being Aurora. Owrowruh. :cry:

Please don't vocalize words ending in "a" as "uh"!!!

Reactions: BlasKyau and t727

Bob-of-Rovia

Apr 25, 2018
"Noreia" is a latin word associated with Celtic mythology (I don't remember if that was a goddess, a character or a place). In order to pronounce it correctly, we can split it into three syllables: Nor-ei-a.

"Nor" reads like in "Nordic", with the R spelled with a whiplash of your tongue;
"A" reads like the first A in "tantrum", only a little softer, but I can't convey it in text. So it's loosely pronounced:

[Nor] dic
H [ey]
T [a] ntrum

My mother language is latin-based, and it hurts when I have to hear the anglo-saxonic accent on latin names (Morkow Pollow, Heydwriannuh, Djuuliuhs) with the worst of all clearly being Aurora. Owrowruh. :cry:

Thank you for the detailed comment. I thought that I went crazy, because many people have "a" began to read as "ah"

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018

lol that's not so much an accent, as it is a simple & lazy mispronuciation by people, or possibly a speech impediment.
People of all descents are capable of this, mispronunciation & lazy speech are not limited to Anglo-Saxons.
I have an Anglo-Saxon accent & we also have people who pronounce "drawer" as "drawl". "Alright" as "Awroit", etc.

I've never met a single person who pronounces Mark/Marc/Marco as Mork. Last seen with Mindy?
n.b. We also have mints named "Polo", so everyone should be capable of pronouncing this correctly.
God help us, if not. :ROFLMAO:

I pronounce Aurora as "au" (as in the French, au revoir), "ror" (the noise a big cat makes), "ah" (as in drama).
The "h" is to soften it.
Noreia as: Nor-eh/ay-ah.

Last edited:
Reactions: SonofOrion

SonofOrion

Sep 30, 2019
lol that's not so much an accent, as it is a simple & lazy mispronuciation by people, or possibly a speech impediment.
People of all descents are capable of this, mispronunciation & lazy speech are not limited to Anglo-Saxons.
I have an Anglo-Saxon accent & we also have people who pronounce "drawer" as "drawl". "Alright" as "Awroit", etc.
I've never met a single person who pronounces Mark/Marc/Marco as Mork. Last seen with Mindy?
I pronounce Aurora as "au" (as in the French, au revoir), "ror" (the noise a big cat makes), "ah" (as in drama).
The "h" is to soften it.
Noreia as: Nor-eh/ay-ah.
Thank You. That helps a lot.

Reactions: whichone

BlasKyau

Conversation Conqueror
Jun 26, 2018
Anyone know how to pronounce the name "Noreia"? Is the I silent?

[Nor] dic
H [ey]
T [a] ntrum

Very well described. Algthrough I think the area was the Teutons, not the Celts (those were in Great Britain, in French Brittany and Northern Spain and surely some other place that I forget)

The name is from an ancient Roman city or fort (there is even a battle around 110 BC). In Spanish the name is Noreya. The current location of both the battle and the city is unknown (Eastern Alps is the only reference).

Wookie

Dec 27, 2017
I recently discovered Mist and have really enjoyed working through it to the end. Looking forward to the next update :)

Havik79

Conversation Conqueror
Sep 5, 2019
anyone found a whetstone yet ? cuz fishing doesn't help ...
Given whetstone is a sharping tool, no fishing doesn't help.
You don't find it, later on, you find an actual sharpening tool, so just ignore it for now.

_Maou_

Jun 2, 2018
skip_image.jpg

In this Dev Log I want to shed some light on why some of you experience lag when videos play and how I finally got around to integrating the videos in a way that they can't be skipped accidentally, but also allows you to immediately skip anything for those who got to go fast.
The new video integration:

First off all, sparked by a comment on the Discord, I took another look at the way I show videos in the game. In the past there were issues of people accidentally skipping them which made me put in a block at the beginning of every video that made it impossible to skip them on accident. But that block also made it hard to skip videos at all and was kinda annoying if you wanted to go fast. Previously I didn't have the knowledge to figure out a better solution, but now with a bit more knowledge of Ren'Py under my belt I found one.
So in 0.7 you will notice that you now have a skip button in the bottom right that allows you to immediately skip the video, while normal clicking and button pressing won't. No accidental skips, but also no waiting if you don't want to see the video. On top of that the code for it is actually a bit simpler than the weird blocks I put in before.
In my opinion the accidental skipping was a big problem. It made people miss really important content. Sadly Ren'Py doesn't have a good solution for that problem on it's own. Which is actually something that also contributes to the lag.
What causes the lag?
I know that for those of you aren't familiar with Ren'Py it might sound weird that a simple pre-rendered video could cause lag. At least that is how I thought in the beginning. Ren'Py is not made to show videos, it is for 2D images and has a lot of functions to properly display and manipulate those. When it comes to videos, that functionality is limited and there are two factors that might lead to lag because of that.
The first one is file size. The smaller the files are, the esier it is for Ren'Py to load them. Easy as that. Sadly, I can't really change anything here. I already use the smallest file size possible, without butchering the quality completely. This also depends on your hardware, that is why you will notice more lag on phones than on a pc, pretty obvious I guess. The second problem is different and I have a little bit of room to act.
How do I display the videos? This I am gonna explain very simplified, for those who don't know how Ren'py works. You basically have two methods of showing videos. With a built in cutscene function, or as a background image that constantly loops. The cutscene function is the best and uses noticeably less memory to display the videos. But, I can't use it.
Remember the problem with the skipping? This cutscene function is part of it. I can't find a way to implement it, without either making it unskippable or easy to accidentally miss. It is basically the worst of both worlds. So that rules the cutscene function out and we are left with the looping background image. And this one simply uses more memory to display. I don't know why, or if I could change that somehow. But no one online seems to have a solution either. So here we theoretically have a choice, but I still have to use the worse one because it gives me other functionalities that I need.
Conclusion:
So the file size and way the videos are displayed seem to be the important factors. Both of which I am already doing as good as I can. If you experience some occasional lag I am sorry, but currently I can't really change that. Even if it sounds silly, hardware still matters. Even for Ren'py. In the future I am gonna continue to look for solutions and better ways to display my videos, but I can't promise anything. At least 0.7 will come with a proper way to skip.
And that is it. I hope not too many of you have problems with lag and I wish you a good week, you'll hear from me next Monday!

4.60 star(s) 687 Votes