3.60 star(s) 25 Votes

naoc

Jun 13, 2019
I remember seeing Monster Girl Island for the fist time something like 8 years ago... It was just the start, don't even know if there were any scenes yet, I didn't downloaded it because I wanted to give it some time to be worked on. I forgot about it and 2 or 3 years later I stumbled across the name and remembered and went ahead and downloaded the latest build at that time, which was a disaster, scenes would bug, saves worked 1/3 of the time, 50/50 chance it crashed to desktop every 10 minutes or so, but it had most of the scenes. Forgot about it again and 5 years later I saw the name somewhere and went "oh I forgot about MGI, it must be finished by now..." (You fool!), so I downloaded the latest build at the end of last year and found that while the game was vastly improved (No more crashing, better optimization, saves worked, more detailed and fully built levels), It turned out that the story advanced just a little and there was only like one new scene.
I know that making a game takes a shit load of time, especially if you're working alone, but I see many solo game devs that show constant progress on their projects and release new builds every month, some even every two weeks, and the known fact that Red was basically addicted to Genshin kind of sounds like some serious slacking off... He said that he has more of the game completed but hasn't released it yet, but who knows, I guess I'm gonna have to forget again and come back in 5 years.
wow, it's Already been eight years since initial release?!.. I guess you're right, I think initial release was around late 2015.. ':‍I
Similar story for me.. I saw the game for the first time in early 2016.. I thought it looked interesting, but it was quite buggy and there wasn't much content yet.. So I just moved on..
Then I rediscover it in late 2018.. and cause the itchio wasn't updated anymore I created an account on F95 in 2019. :‍D

Nowadays I have a love-hate for this game..
..I love it for the good content we have already got ..and also cause it was my first non-Japanese Hgame.
..But I also hate it for its slow and irregular updates.. It's just sad and frustrating..
..Just one to two updates per year ..and even though he had a well paying Patreon.. Redamz often seemed quite a bit unreliable.. ':/

..and well now he hasn't even got a Patreon anymore.. which probably means he will spend even less time on game dev.. :'‍I
So if ever.. the game will probably first be finished in.. Three or four years.. i guess.. :'‍/

cookieslap

Dec 10, 2019
Idk about you guys but this was one of my favorite games of the whole bunch. Leaving Patreon might be a nail in the coffin, but what he stated in his last message on that site is true. Having to make WIP Builds and to accomodate an update schedule to release several unfinished products while is very useful if you're trying to get some funding it takes a lot of time, especially for a one man team. If he says that he prefers to work without having to rely on funding hence to do constant updates i can understand that. It might also be a semi pause from that method of development, since he did that for several years, changing method might really be liberating for him, even though he might lose on the community feedback, but i see he got his vision of the game clear and i like it so far lol.

Crowza

Oct 25, 2020
Idk about you guys but this was one of my favorite games of the whole bunch. Leaving Patreon might be a nail in the coffin, but what he stated in his last message on that site is true. Having to make WIP Builds and to accomodate an update schedule to release several unfinished products while is very useful if you're trying to get some funding it takes a lot of time, especially for a one man team. If he says that he prefers to work without having to rely on funding hence to do constant updates i can understand that. It might also be a semi pause from that method of development, since he did that for several years, changing method might really be liberating for him, even though he might lose on the community feedback, but i see he got his vision of the game clear and i like it so far lol.
If he had an actual "vision" of finishing this game, he'd hire an actual team of programmers and artists to help him actually finish it instead of insisting on doing it himself. That's not someone with a vision, that's someone who wants to hog all the money to himself and work at his own pace while collecting as much money as he can. The reason he quit Patreon is because he's made enough money to never have to deal with his fans constant complaining again about no monthly updates and can now freely work on it whenever he want.

Tannin00

Jul 1, 2017
If he had an actual "vision" of finishing this game, he'd hire an actual team of programmers and artists to help him actually finish it instead of insisting on doing it himself. That's not someone with a vision, that's someone who wants to hog all the money to himself and work at his own pace while collecting as much money as he can. The reason he quit Patreon is because he's made enough money to never have to deal with his fans constant complaining again about no monthly updates and can now freely work on it whenever he want.
True, it is also a possibility this instead of what patreon was trying to change the idea.

To which and now falling into account ...

Why are all the games that have to do with furry or monster girls, whether in 2d or 3d, except those that come from Japan, are always condemned to end as half projects or to be canceled?

Because come on, there are many small animations of more or less the minute or of images, but of a game or medium that lasts more or less and has quality (I don´t offend, they´re only my tastes and what there is I don´t like very much) there are none, despite how much it likes and is in demand.

Let's just hope this case doesn't end up like Yandere simulator, Lok Rebirth, or Mity's near-Roman tragedy.

Edit: Almost all of them, there are exceptions but those not only with miracles, they are almost already treasures of humanity.

Reactions: ejmuerte and naoc

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I remember seeing Monster Girl Island for the fist time something like 8 years ago... It was just the start, don't even know if there were any scenes yet, I didn't downloaded it because I wanted to give it some time to be worked on. I forgot about it and 2 or 3 years later I stumbled across the name and remembered and went ahead and downloaded the latest build at that time, which was a disaster, scenes would bug, saves worked 1/3 of the time, 50/50 chance it crashed to desktop every 10 minutes or so, but it had most of the scenes. Forgot about it again and 5 years later I saw the name somewhere and went "oh I forgot about MGI, it must be finished by now..." (You fool!), so I downloaded the latest build at the end of last year and found that while the game was vastly improved (No more crashing, better optimization, saves worked, more detailed and fully built levels), It turned out that the story advanced just a little and there was only like one new scene.
I know that making a game takes a shit load of time, especially if you're working alone, but I see many solo game devs that show constant progress on their projects and release new builds every month, some even every two weeks, and the known fact that Red was basically addicted to Genshin kind of sounds like some serious slacking off... He said that he has more of the game completed but hasn't released it yet, but who knows, I guess I'm gonna have to forget again and come back in 5 years.
8 years ago?! I thought Monster Girl Island would only be about half that old in terms of development. If it's been nearly a decade, that sounds very suspicious. I am getting Yandere Simulator vibes from reading your comment sadly.

• Sad
Reactions: naoc

SunnyVercett

Aug 21, 2019
Many games kept me waiting, but no one came close this good. Of all the things it has, the story is no doubt the best, and can be safely called a wonder. Almost unbelievable it is written by a human. That dialog option between Typhon and AI, about life motivation, really terrific. Seldom have I seen such brilliant moment in a video game. A word: do it now and do it good. I'm so glad there's another good thing to wait for!

Something in my mind, about the trial. I think the purple girl, Chumumi, could have seen everything that night, after all she always stayed behind the house. I could use her words as an alibi. Although I might not choose to tell about her to other people, because that would effectively end her mission causing a failure, even endanger her life, it's nice to have that option.

Last edited:

kradlum

Jul 29, 2019
Many games kept me waiting, but no one came close this good. Of all the things it has, the story is no doubt the best, and can be safely called a wonder. Almost unbelievable it is written by a human. That dialog option between Typhon and AI, about life motivation, really terrific. Seldom have I seen such brilliant moment in a video game. A word: do it now and do it good. I'm so glad there's another good thing to wait for!

Something in my mind, about the trial. I think the purple girl, Chumumi, could have seen everything that night, after all she always stayed behind the house. I could use her words as an alibi. Although I might not choose to tell about her to other people, because that would effectively end her mission causing a failure, even endanger her life, it's nice to have that option.
well yeah it took 5 years, and then after the prologue steam release or even before that. slower updates after his patreons went up to 12K, this got even worse when he played genshin impact. He just kept chatting shit on discord about the game and wont stfu about it. Now you know where those thousands of dollars went, and he bitches about "being kicked out of patreon" like he was the only one. yeah right

Blueee.

Blueee.
Donor
Apr 22, 2019
Redamz could totally finish mgi without selling the rights, if he just used his money to hire on some help, but he wont for whatever reason
Why share his profits by hiring people? When all he can do is just leech off unfinished works while people give him money monthly?

Excelia

Dec 15, 2019
So I converted MGI back into a Unity project. This game is pretty much dead anyways, fuck it. My plan is to consolidate. Cut the minigames, fix the character controller, better scene selection, and do some QoL.
I did the same thing with the Ara VR scene, if you need a help write me in private

Reactions: nobodyforever

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
Redamz could totally finish mgi without selling the rights, if he just used his money to hire on some help, but he wont for whatever reason
Oh I know that he could but at this rate it seems like he's content to just sleep on his pile of gold. If he has enough money to retire already, he really doesn't have any incentive to actually do the work he was paid in advance for. I guess we can at least give him credit for not keeping his P*treon active to take even more money from his supporters.

Why share his profits by hiring people? When all he can do is just leech off unfinished works while people give him money monthly?
Did he continue his P*treon or get another payment platform?

anonamon

May 31, 2021
I'm changing how dialog works. character portrait + dialog on the screen at the same time. I hated looking above everyone's head. Also working on decoupling cutscenes. A lot of the Unity scenes contain all cutscenes they're just disabled based on context. This means a smaller memory footprint and should make scene selection easier.

Succubus Hunter

Conversation Conqueror
May 19, 2020
I just heard that Bo Wei and Koda (Creators of Tower of Trample) are currently being investigated by the IRS for their P*treon practices. Perhaps if/ when Redamz learns about this they will reconsider cutting and running with his supporters money *Thinking face*.

Earthplayer

Feb 6, 2021
What are you guys talking about? Redamz is still active on the official discord daily. He just stopped using Patreon like many others because he would have had to cut out underage looking characters. It's not even a locked discord, you can just join and say hi? o_O Did I miss something?

3.60 star(s) 25 Votes