Mod Ren'Py My Dorm Multi-Mod [v0.12 + Part 2 fixes][RiamMar]

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
I like the numerical options for choices. Is that a normally hidden feature or something you added? That said, aesthetically I'd try to do something to make the numbers blend in less with the text. Maybe ASCII graphical numbers, like these: ➀➁➂➃➄ or ❶❷❸❹❺ ??

RiamMar

One Hand Clapping, Heart of the Keyforge
Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
First: I love the versatility of the UI and the simplicity of it's look.
:love:
Also that you (or TropecitaGames) included the surprise guest at the airport in the slideshow.

Second, something that probably have already been reported since I'm a day late and a dollar short (metaphorically speaking I hope):
I thought I fixed it yesterday, but to be honest, my brain wasn't functioning anymore, so I might have forgotten to upload it or it's something else entirely. Guess I will have a look at the grid and why it's not scroll-/draggable
I haven't actually played the game with it yet (just loaded a save and poked around the interface), but I'm loving how it looks so far. I'll play a chapter or two from the beginning to see if anything in regular play stands out.
(y)
Also, the two "family" buttons are a bit confusing ... maybe have the one that turns the mode on and off be either red or green instead of light or dark?
Yeah, that family icon for decisions is in there because… I'm a genius!
I will have a look at the icon and maybe add some it. Probably needs a bit of altering the code of my button screen.
Fixed in beta3
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Just spotted it myself. I knew I forgot something in the input screen. :D
Fixed in beta3
I like the numerical options for choices. Is that a normally hidden feature or something you added? That said, aesthetically I'd try to do something to make the numbers blend in less with the text. Maybe ASCII graphical numbers, like these: ➀➁➂➃➄ or ❶❷❸❹❺ ??
Would have been nice, if it's a standard feature, but no, it has to be added by the dev.
I played with a vertical bar between choice and number since I'd have to spend a bit more time on it, when the choice has multiple lines, e.g. when a WT info is displayed.

Edit: I knew I did something. The problem is, the verical bar isn't shown on black background of the first few choices is, because… the bars are black… :oops:

Last edited:

MurrayMods

Modder
Nov 28, 2022
Looking for BETA testers for the new UI.

If you want to have a look at the new UI and maybe find some bugs,
please feel free to use the beta release of the Part 2 UI.

Before using this package, please make sure to delete the old modules folder in your game directory.

BETA Downloads:

Please be aware of my health situation, and be patient when reporting bugs.​
Dear RiamMar,
I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope your health improves soon.

My observations about the new UI are the same that already posted Elhemeer:
1) The Choices screen not showing all the options and not having vertical scroll bar or something.
2) The Family button lacks a title or ToolTip. It's just because I'm very familiar with the game that I (barely) recognize the button and know what function it serves, but the image is the same that the Choices button, it should be different. A new player wouldn't know what it's for. Also, I literally don't know if it's on or off. Green or Red backgrounds and/or a text indicating On/Off status will be very useful.
3) The name's input boxes design are messy.
4) I'm not very sure about the following: If Family button is ON the Intro shouldn't mention the clones scenery, Martha should be MC's mother, Emma should be MC's sister, Norah should be Martha's sister and MC's aunt, the twins should be MC's cousins, Edmund, Meemaw, Aunt Betty, etc, all must be blood related. Only if family button is OFF the clones story may take place. Not that I didn't like the clones theme, at the beginning of the game, the clones were the main theme and not one was related. Today, chapter 11, with Family button ON, it is not clear who are those people (some suspiciously similar to Emma and the twins) watching the protagonists weapons in hand.

If you need and extra hand with this or any of your Mods, I would gladly like to apply for the position. I'm a newbie modder and seek not financial gain for my help. I'm looking for learning experience and to colaborate with one in the mayor league.
Looking forward to hear from you.
Best regards,

Murray.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Dear RiamMar,
I'm really sorry to hear about your health problems. I hope your health improves soon.

1) The Choices screen not showing all the options and not having vertical scroll bar or something.
2) The Family button lacks a title or ToolTip. It's just because I'm very familiar with the game that I (barely) recognize the button and know what function it serves, but the image is the same that the Choices button, it should be different. A new player wouldn't know what it's for. Also, I literally don't know if it's on or off. Green or Red backgrounds and/or a text indicating On/Off status will be very useful.
4) I'm not very sure about the following: If Family button is ON the Intro shouldn't mention the clones scenery, Martha should be MC's mother, Emma should be MC's sister, Norah should be Martha's sister and MC's aunt, the twins should be MC's cousins, Edmund, Meemaw, Aunt Betty, etc, all must be blood related. Only if family button is OFF the clones story may take place. Not that I didn't like the clones theme, at the beginning of the game, the clones were the main theme and not one was related. Today, chapter 11, with Family button ON, it is not clear who are those people (some suspiciously similar to Emma and the twins) watching the protagonists weapons in hand.

If you need and extra hand with this or any of your Mods, I would gladly like to apply for the position. I'm a newbie modder and seek not financial gain for my help. I'm looking for learning experience and to colaborate with one in the mayor league.
Best regards,

Murray.
Yeah, got the first three fixed, I think. The family thing I can't figure out. It's working for me. Maybe you had it turned off? With the Family/Clones label, it might be more clear. Also changed the icon for the decisions mod, so that there aren't two buttons that could be misinterpreted as family switch.

If you toggle Family/Clones mid-game, the scene will play out as is and only when the next check happens in-game, it will switch content.

Files are packaged and uploaded as beta3.

On the modding help topic:
First of all, thanks for your application. :D
What are your coding experiences, knowledge in python etc. I'm not sure how we should manage this.
What I suggested another "newbie modder" was, that they pick a game they like and use my ModCore. Maybe first a simple walkthrough? You would have the chance to get used to rummaging through the devs code, finding the menu lines and adding different type of informations (general infos and character/relationship points) etc.
Adding new stuff to the ModCore might be a bit much to ask, depending on your coding experience. The ModCore isn't that complicated, but can be a bit overwhelming.

The latest, more or less finished general purpose ModCore is my Fiery Scion mod. It might need some polishing that I can only do, when I would start using it on a game that only uses parts, so that some of the tabs of the mod menu are hidden, when no such settings are… set… E.g. no character screen if there are no character variables like relationship points.

Probably best if we talk about it in DMs. If you have discord and since you are playing My Dorm, why don't you join us on our server. There's a modding and dev channel and we can add us for DMs. That's the easiest way for me to give support to others in a timely way (and not everyone here needs to know about my magical coding secrets :ROFLMAO: ).

Edit: Link to discord is in the OP. I'm a bit more than well done for today, so I'm too lazy to go c'n'p the link here.

Edit 2: There's a bug renaming the character. It's fixed now, but I will not updated the files right now, since my brain would probably just make something else worse instead.

Last edited:

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Dear RiamMar,

Best regards,

Murray.
Just one thing: There is still a clone story in the family version, but the clones aren't living in the home. They're the two girls that look like your sister and cousins. In the non-family version, your "sister" and "cousins" are clones of the two girls watching the homes. In non-family, your mom, dad's brother and Norah's husband are killed, family version it's Norah's husband (your mom's brother) and your uncles (dad's brothers) that are killed, but in both versions they work for a shady cloning company.

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: Trope95 and RiamMar

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Did I forget that the game has segments of no music? (loaded game after saving and quitting when MC arrives home, no music until listening at Emma's door ... also still playing version downloaded before Monday)

Reactions: Trope95

MurrayMods

Modder
Nov 28, 2022
Yeah, got the first three fixed, I think. The family thing I can't figure out. It's working for me. Maybe you had it turned off? With the Family/Clones label, it might be more clear. Also changed the icon for the decisions mod, so that there aren't two buttons that could be misinterpreted as family switch.

If you toggle Family/Clones mid-game, the scene will play out as is and only when the next check happens in-game, it will switch content.

Files are packaged and uploaded as beta3.

On the modding help topic:
First of all, thanks for your application. :D
What are your coding experiences, knowledge in python etc. I'm not sure how we should manage this.
What I suggested another "newbie modder" was, that they pick a game they like and use my ModCore. Maybe first a simple walkthrough? You would have the chance to get used to rummaging through the devs code, finding the menu lines and adding different type of informations (general infos and character/relationship points) etc.
Adding new stuff to the ModCore might be a bit much to ask, depending on your coding experience. The ModCore isn't that complicated, but can be a bit overwhelming.

The latest, more or less finished general purpose ModCore is my Fiery Scion mod. It might need some polishing that I can only do, when I would start using it on a game that only uses parts, so that some of the tabs of the mod menu are hidden, when no such settings are… set… E.g. no character screen if there are no character variables like relationship points.

Probably best if we talk about it in DMs. If you have discord and since you are playing My Dorm, why don't you join us on our server. There's a modding and dev channel and we can add us for DMs. That's the easiest way for me to give support to others in a timely way (and not everyone here needs to know about my magical coding secrets :ROFLMAO: ).

Edit: Link to discord is in the OP. I'm a bit more than well done for today, so I'm too lazy to go c'n'p the link here.

Edit 2: There's a bug renaming the character. It's fixed now, but I will not updated the files right now, since my brain would probably just make something else worse instead.
Thank you very much for your comments.
Today I joined the My Dorm discord and had a few words with Tropecita. Tomorrow I'll send you a DM with my experience with RenPy. Tropecita and other Discord members have only praises about your skills as a developer. I think even the word god was mentioned. So, as I see it, all I have to do is pray.
Regarding My Dorm UI Beta3 the Family button still does not have a description or ToolTip. Additionally, it remains unclear when the feature is on or off. But, when is ON the intro and the dialogs are corrects and vice versa. I also noticed that the settings and family buttons now have different images (y)
Best regards,

Murray.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Did I forget that the game has segments of no music? (loaded game after saving and quitting when MC arrives home, no music until listening at Emma's door ... also still playing version downloaded before Monday)
The game has segments with no music, I guess. I didn't do anything to the content (to not screw with save compatibility) or audio files. :D
Thank you very much for your comments.
Today I joined the My Dorm discord and had a few words with Tropecita. Tomorrow I'll send you a DM with my experience with RenPy. Tropecita and other Discord members have only praises about your skills as a developer. I think even the word god was mentioned. So, as I see it, all I have to do is pray.
Regarding My Dorm UI Beta3 the Family button still does not have a description or ToolTip. Additionally, it remains unclear when the feature is on or off. But, when is ON the intro and the dialogs are corrects and vice versa. I also noticed that the settings and family buttons now have different images (y)
Best regards,

Murray.
If it doesn't say "Family" or "Clones" depending on state, I will have to have a look. For the tooltips, yeah, the tooltips are prepared, but not added yet. They should look similar to the ones on the quick menu, ones they are ready.

• Red Heart

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Okay, I downloaded v3, my Choices screen now has a scroll on the right side and scrolls if there's enough choices buuuut ...
Screenshot 2023-09-20 220722.png
Alexia's name box is a bit off and Simone is being left behind (kinda).

---

Also, since I'm one of the weird ones that likes to jump around the page options to save "paths" ...
Screenshot 2023-09-20 221255.png
...any possibility of adding "<<" and ">>" for a 10-page jump? Just a thought.

Reactions: Trope95 and RiamMar

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Okay, I downloaded v3, my Choices screen now has a scroll on the right side and scrolls if there's enough choices buuuut ...
View attachment 2945369
Alexia's name box is a bit off and Simone is being left behind (kinda).

---

Also, since I'm one of the weird ones that likes to jump around the page options to save "paths" ...
View attachment 2945371
...any possibility of adding "<<" and ">>" for a 10-page jump? Just a thought.
Dunno what's up with the nam buttons, but I will have a look. The "10-jump" button I will have to see how it would fit in there. Or maybe a drop down or input box with a page select? Depends on space left in the UI. :D

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
Dunno what's up with the nam buttons, but I will have a look. The "10-jump" button I will have to see how it would fit in there. Or maybe a drop down or input box with a page select? Depends on space left in the UI. :D
That's the upper-right corner, so there might be room to slide it to the left to make room for and extra >> button (and of course its open on the other side)

As for manually typing in the page number ... that does weird things on a standard interface.

I found out by accident you could do that, so I tried it once. I was on ... I don't remember, lets say page 15. I wanted to start a new playthrough, so I skipped to page 16, then decided to use page 50, so I typed that in, seemed to work, and saved. Saved two saves on "page 50" then I wanted to check something on my original playthrough ...

What I found, was when I used the scroll tabs, it hopped right back to 15 ... basically, my "pages" were now "... 12 13 14 15 50 17 18 ..."

I changed it back and NEVER did that again.

Just something to keep in mind.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
That's the upper-right corner, so there might be room to slide it to the left to make room for and extra >> button (and of course its open on the other side)

As for manually typing in the page number ... that does weird things on a standard interface.

I found out by accident you could do that, so I tried it once. I was on ... I don't remember, lets say page 15. I wanted to start a new playthrough, so I skipped to page 16, then decided to use page 50, so I typed that in, seemed to work, and saved. Saved two saves on "page 50" then I wanted to check something on my original playthrough ...

What I found, was when I used the scroll tabs, it hopped right back to 15 ... basically, my "pages" were now "... 12 13 14 15 50 17 18 ..."

Hm hm hmm, I could imagine there being a problem that the page number was set correctly, but the slot index was still as if it's on page 16 or something. I'll have a look at it.

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
You bug with the buttons for the characters is weird. :oops:
2023-09-21 08_12_26-My Dorm.png

Changed MC's and Martha's name to the ones you use and Simone is moved partially out of frame, like in your screenshot. No problem with Alexia though. Will have a look at making the buttons go over 2 lines with a fixed width or something?

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
View attachment 2945437

Changed MC's and Martha's name to the ones you use and Simone is moved partially out of frame, like in your screenshot. No problem with Alexia though. Will have a look at making the buttons go over 2 lines with a fixed width or something?
Could me playing in 11B have anything to do with my unique issue?

Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Yes, in the first and second chapters there are a lot of stretches without music. After that 90% of the game has music.

I thought the same as you and wanted to jump to page 101, so I went to the first page and typed 101. It didn't do anything. Then I discovered the text you type is only a "Page Title". Now I use it to differentiate my English/Spanish test playthroughs

View attachment 2945437

Remember there are 7 more girls coming (6 for you after v.0.12) (I know, its a bit of an assholery on my part to spoil that for Elhemeer ;))

• Haha
Reactions: Elhemeer

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Could me playing in 11B have anything to do with my unique issue?
Yes, in the first and second chapters there are a lot of stretches without music. After that 90% of the game has music.

I thought the same as you and wanted to jump to page 101, so I went to the first page and typed 101. It didn't do anything. Then I discovered the text you type is only a "Page Title". Now I use it to differentiate my English/Spanish test playthroughs

Remember there are 7 more girls coming (6 for you after v.0.12) (I know, its a bit of an assholery on my part to spoil that for Elhemeer ;))
All I'm hearing is:

:ROFLMAO:

For real though:
Buttons wrap around when there's no space anymore and can cover a second line.
"Import" is now in the main menu next to "Main Menu"/"New Game" button.
(Edit: This way all the "load/import/new game/leave to menu" buttons are bundled up together and can't be mistaken/misclicked with the save button)

The Save/Load navigation is a bit more complex to describe.

When on page auto, quick or 1 through 10, the "left double arrow" will select page 1
When on page 10+ the "left double arrow" will select current page - 10

When on page auto or quick, the "right double arrow" will select page 10
When on page 1+, the "right double arrow" will select current page + 10

When on page auto, quick or 1 through 7, the first 10 pages will be displayed.
When on page 7+ the 7 previous pages will be displayed, plus the 2 followup pages.

Will upload the changes with beta 4 later. (Edit: Maybe I find better utf8 characters for the arrows till then.)

Edit: Also, remove the highligh effect for the "Decisions" button. It triggers me somehow to see it miming "activated" all the time.
Edit 2: Consolidating remastered and part 2 beta and moving all other My Dorm directories the hell off of my work drive or else I'm going to go insane.

Last edited:

RiamMar

Modder
Game Developer
Sep 15, 2017
Found the issue. It's already using the part 2 family variable and therefore doesn't set the old one anymore. Will also be fixed in beta 4. As of beta 3 it should be using the default (off) for new games and the stored value if a game is loaded.
This issue will need some additional code change in the remastered part to not create am unnecessary overhead in the merger. Part 2 should switch to use of the single variable instead of the old routine. For the beta I updated my family patch and the button action to accommodate both functionalities.

Update:

Beta 4 is up and ready to download.
It should contain all the fixes found up to now.

I also changed some other things I encountered.
  • fixed position/overlap of nput box in dialogue
  • added "10 pages fwd/backwd" to saves
  • moved Import button
  • fixed decision mod cut off
  • changed default menu size to 34 + text and icon display
  • fixed patch functionality
  • moved main menu navigation a tick to the right, to give the patch and mod button a bit more space
Some more changes made in the remastered version of part 1, to accommodate mechanics/variables in part 2, that are not present in part 1.

Last edited: