Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Dude, I love how you're one of the most connected game developers ever known to the VN world! You're freakin' awesome! Thanks for being the dude you are!
Thank you! :giggle:
I've said it several times, and I stand by it. This was my first AVN community and I think you deserve everything I can give you. One of the greatest pleasures of developing this game is, for me, having been able to talk to fantastic people in this thread and on Discord.

d@lt0n

Oct 1, 2018
Just as WICKEDp4th and FatGiant said. I would also add when someone is sad about something but doesn't want their interlocutor to notice, and forces a laugh.
The closest I imagined by that is a sarcastic laugh or a "ha. ha." By what you said it's probably the later. Sorry to nit pick, I'm kind of a stickler when imagining my reading and I legitemately want to understand the intent!

Reactions: Trope95

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I would call that a smile. A closed mouth smile. maybe a sad smile depending on the situation, but not a laugh. Am I just lost in translation?
staf.gif joaquin-phoenix-laughing.gif laugh-rufus-carlin.gif Joey-Sad.gif
Something like this. It's a laugh that doesn't have any happiness in it, or when you realize mid-laughing that it affects you in a sad way. In Spanish we say "Reír por no llorar" (laughing to avoid crying)

Last edited:

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
Although similar, the facial expresions are iterpreted differently, what Trope FatGiant a few other users from here sharing "hispanic - romanic culture " call sad smile, Can be read in the Germanic - Angloamerican Culture as "pittyfull smile"
I persnally have my fun, with the 28 jhr old son of my better Half, and he with me missreading our facial expressions, (he was near 2 when he got to the US and he grew up there) they are similar but often have a different meaning.
"sonrisa triste", y would translate as sad smile and into german as trauriges lächeln, or gequältes lächeln (for the last you could say tortured or painfull smile)
There is a saying from the Argentinan Poet Almafuerte,: Smile because it is better to have a sad smile in life, as the sadness of a life without smile ( Sonrie, mas vale tener una sonrisa triste en la vida, que la tristeza de una vida sin sonrisa

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
26471-640x640-40-2041.jpg
"Smile even if it is a sad smile, because sadder than a sad smile is the sadness of not knowing how to smile"

It is a version of what xapican quoted, but it is the version I've known all my life.

It is quite common in Portugal, this concept of a sad smile, or has TropecitaGames said, "Laughing to not cry". It is a bit of a surprise that it isn't common everywhere. I've seen it so much on visual media, that it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be.

Peace :)

Elhemeer

Forum Fanatic
Jun 20, 2022
View attachment 2492903
"Smile even if it is a sad smile, because sadder than a sad smile is the sadness of not knowing how to smile"

It is a version of what xapican quoted, but it is the version I've known all my life.

It is quite common in Portugal, this concept of a sad smile, or has TropecitaGames said, "Laughing to not cry". It is a bit of a surprise that it isn't common everywhere. I've seen it so much on visual media, that it never occurred to me that it wouldn't be.

Peace :)
Honestly, I grew up in the USA understanding a sad smile or a sad laugh, although rather than "laughing to not cry" I thought of it as "Laughing to hide pain." Also grew up in a Jewish household, so that could be a factor.

Trope95

Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Honestly, I grew up in the USA understanding a sad smile or a sad laugh, although rather than "laughing to not cry" I thought of it as "Laughing to hide pain." Also grew up in a Jewish household, so that could be a factor.
In most cases on My Dorm the "Laughing to hide pain" would be applicable to the *Sad Laugh*. It all depends on the pain intensity.

4.00 star(s) 101 Votes