Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
I think the biggest issue with BDSM in games is that the player can't actively negotiate it like one can in reality.

In reality, everyone involved can say what they want and want they don't. What they're comfortable with and what they aren't.
Can't really do that in a VN or any game. You have to accept or refuse various kinks pretty much blind, then continue or load back depending on if things are to your tastes
BDSM in the media tends to play fast and loose with consent. I think in a VN if you're going to have CNC (consensual non consent) play, one has to be VERY clear.

I expect that setting limits for scenes in a VN is doable. I'm definitely using safe words/levels in my D/s story. Thinking of that, it might be interesting to have a chose of playing as the dominant or the submissive partner, keeping in mind that the submissive is the one who is actually in control in the average scene. It is the Dom/Domme's job to monitor the sub's state in play. The goal (as I see it) is to help the sub to reach "sub space" through that trust.

I think that is one of the problems with many BDSM stories in VNs--it often focuses on the Dom's apparent power and doesn't give enough attention to the sub's actual power in a scene.

There is one story we're working on for which building trust will be paramount--"Dating Legion," which will be about being in a relationship with someone with Disassociative Identity Disorder.
I will answer these posts as a writer. Since your points are very interesting.

Another thing about BDSM in AVNs is that a lot of time the writers who write about it have no clue about how it works in reality (me included). Half the time the writers don't even know how a "normal" relationship works! And I won't even talk about how poly/harem/bisexuality/etc. work. But everyone loves writing about things they don't know about (me included).

Fortunately, in my case, I've been able to talk before starting development, or through it, with people who know a lot more than me about topics I don't have any knowledge (poly, bisexuality, transgender, PTSD, surviving cancer (mastectomy in the case of the person I talked to), etc.) and what I haven't the chance to talk about, I have researched it. And even then, I messed up with something (yesterday someone told me the MC didn't tell Scarlett "I love you" in SL, but "Me love you", for example, although that could be chalked to the fact that the MC is still learning, and gives me the chance to make another scene about sign language.).

What Dragon says about apparent vs real power, is hard to show in an AVN if the writer isn't into BDSM. From the outside, the apparent power is much more appealing, especially in a world (the AVN world) where most games delve into power fantasies.

About what S1nsational says about negotiating what can/can't be done, I think it can be done in a BDSM-focused game, but not in a game where BDSM is a small part, since the development time invested in doing it that way would impact negatively in the real focus of the game. Imagine if I offered 4 choices about content for the femdom path, 4 more choices for the maledom one, and obviously at least one "mandatory" sub-scene for maledom and another for femdom. Add to that the romance path, and I would be juggling with 11-15 sub-scenes every time Maddie shows up. I would end up sending her to Florida to sell pareos on the beach taking advantage of Meemaw's empty house.

Trope95

Formerly 'TropecitaGames'
Game Developer
Apr 11, 2022
Even though I held Norah's hand at the café, it doesn't show up among the choices.
In the choices, it only shows if you DIDN'T allow her into the shower. It's a flag that you rejected her in the first opportunity and accepted her in the second one. If you allowed her into the shower, you hold her hand without choice, because you are already on her path.

Reactions: Elhemeer

xapican

Devoted Member
May 11, 2020
In the choices, it only shows if you DIDN'T allow her into the shower. It's a flag that you rejected her in the first opportunity and accepted her in the second one. If you allowed her into the shower, you hold her hand without choice, because you are already on her path.
:eek: You're aware that you forced us to "handholding" in public how depraved are you? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm gonna delete game and stay in the thread to torment Satou and HornyyPussy (he gets anyway roped in) and it is all your fault !! (and from the butcher who sells lamb flesh cheaper then Cowflesh) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Satou Pendragon

Engaged Member
Jan 24, 2018
:eek: You're aware that you forced us to "handholding" in public how depraved are you? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
I'm gonna delete game and stay in the thread to torment Satou and HornyyPussy (he gets anyway roped in) and it is all your fault !! (and from the butcher who sells lamb flesh cheaper then Cowflesh) :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
How did I get roped in now? :unsure:

4.00 star(s) 101 Votes