e6mill

Aug 4, 2022
When in doubt click options til you see Ingles. Spanish is easy (in this particular instance), as a non Spanish speaker, it at least uses the same alphabet.
Actually not. Close though. English lacks ll and ñ (at least) and there are a couple letters Spanish speakers only use for foreign words. :)

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
There's a very (or it used to exist) a very cheeky website selling eye-glasses that was all in Braille. Besides being an Art concept it was an actual store selling cheap glasses at ridiculous prices.

I can't fucking find it... not even on web archive. Fuck... It was on one of those blog platforms, can't remember which.

The point anyway is that you need to explore, be curious, having the answers given even before you tried to find them isn't really good for anyone.

Forgive me for going on a bit of a tangent here, quite probably a bunch of you guys have played Skyrim. There's a very well known problem that made people miss a LOT of content on that game, that is called "Quest Arrow Blindness". It is the same as those people that follow blindly a GPS arrow, and end up going down stairs or down a ravine. It is the same problem that is happening here. The unexpected becomes impossible to overcome. People have forgotten how to explore, try, discover, etc... They've become error averse. They simply can't conceive of the possibility that they can try and fail.

These games, of which My Dorm is not an exception, that aren't Kinetic Novels, have a very vocal group of users that detest the walktrough mods, yet, I bet those same people would be completely unable to find the settings to change the language if it wasn't in the one they expected. With exceptions? Yeah, of course. But, as you know the exceptions confirm the rule. That's why they are "exceptions".

I started modding my games when you had to hack executables, using very esoteric editors and compilers. The instructions could take hours to apply. Sometimes they weren't in one of the languages I read, and had to be translated in those pre-historic translators that missed many words. Then we had to navigate forums, and scruffy websites that made you feel like just visiting was enough to make your PC die of a thousand viruses. Fuck, that, all that, was more fun than the fucking game I was modding. LOL.

Peace :(

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Same thing can happen if you DO explore randomly. In FO3 the first random place I came to after leaving Megaton was Somebody's Garage, and so I went in hoping to score some wheels like I had in FO2 and instead found dad, skipping a good half the MQ. :D
Or in Oblivion if you went and killed the people in the Monastery before you entered the city you skipped half the game LOL.

Reactions: Trope95

ThorinKing

Engaged Member
Feb 16, 2023
There's a very (or it used to exist) a very cheeky website selling eye-glasses that was all in Braille. Besides being an Art concept it was an actual store selling cheap glasses at ridiculous prices.

I can't fucking find it... not even on web archive. Fuck... It was on one of those blog platforms, can't remember which.

The point anyway is that you need to explore, be curious, having the answers given even before you tried to find them isn't really good for anyone.

Forgive me for going on a bit of a tangent here, quite probably a bunch of you guys have played Skyrim. There's a very well known problem that made people miss a LOT of content on that game, that is called "Quest Arrow Blindness". It is the same as those people that follow blindly a GPS arrow, and end up going down stairs or down a ravine. It is the same problem that is happening here. The unexpected becomes impossible to overcome. People have forgotten how to explore, try, discover, etc... They've become error averse. They simply can't conceive of the possibility that they can try and fail.

These games, of which My Dorm is not an exception, that aren't Kinetic Novels, have a very vocal group of users that detest the walktrough mods, yet, I bet those same people would be completely unable to find the settings to change the language if it wasn't in the one they expected. With exceptions? Yeah, of course. But, as you know the exceptions confirm the rule. That's why they are "exceptions".

I started modding my games when you had to hack executables, using very esoteric editors and compilers. The instructions could take hours to apply. Sometimes they weren't in one of the languages I read, and had to be translated in those pre-historic translators that missed many words. Then we had to navigate forums, and scruffy websites that made you feel like just visiting was enough to make your PC die of a thousand viruses. Fuck, that, all that, was more fun than the fucking game I was modding. LOL.

Peace :(
Can't say for certain whether you like or dislike walkthrough mods. Myself, I like having them to provide a guidepost. The simple ones (turn something green for "canon" or for "most lewds" or whatever) at least give an indicator of where I should make a save-point so I don't have to go back to the beginning later on and replay or click through some of the stuff to get a more "full" experience. Some might think you can just do a new save at every decision point, but that gets out of hand quickly, particularly if a decision isn't really critical to future events, but only to dialogue or something relatively inconsequential to a particular path or ending. You can probably guess on a lot of those, but experience has shown me that isn't the case all the time.

I'm also a bit of a "completionist", so I like to find the different routes to the different endings and the hidden stuff (if there is any) and a mod like Sancho does can help me do that without spending dozens of extra hours I could be spending on another interesting VN. So, instead of driving down stairs or off of a dock into the water, I have all of the interesting alternative "side quests" queued up for later - and a well done WT helps me achieve that. My VN backlog is already too long - without a decent WT mod for some of the more intricate VNs, it would be completely impossible and disheartening.

FatGiant

Forum Fanatic
Jan 7, 2022
Can't say for certain whether you like or dislike walkthrough mods. Myself, I like having them to provide a guidepost. The simple ones (turn something green for "canon" or for "most lewds" or whatever) at least give an indicator of where I should make a save-point so I don't have to go back to the beginning later on and replay or click through some of the stuff to get a more "full" experience. Some might think you can just do a new save at every decision point, but that gets out of hand quickly, particularly if a decision isn't really critical to future events, but only to dialogue or something relatively inconsequential to a particular path or ending. You can probably guess on a lot of those, but experience has shown me that isn't the case all the time.

I'm also a bit of a "completionist", so I like to find the different routes to the different endings and the hidden stuff (if there is any) and a mod like Sancho does can help me do that without spending dozens of extra hours I could be spending on another interesting VN. So, instead of driving down stairs or off of a dock into the water, I have all of the interesting alternative "side quests" queued up for later - and a well done WT helps me achieve that. My VN backlog is already too long - without a decent WT mod for some of the more intricate VNs, it would be completely impossible and disheartening.
I LOVE them. My main reason is time. While a good game is fun to replay, most of these are barely good enough to play once, nevermind replaying to unlock content.

I agree almost 100%, the differences aren't relevant.

Peace :)

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
Same thing can happen if you DO explore randomly. In FO3 the first random place I came to after leaving Megaton was Somebody's Garage, and so I went in hoping to score some wheels like I had in FO2 and instead found dad, skipping a good half the MQ. :D
That pissed me off so much about that one. I skipped so much of the game on accident. And then fucking fawkes was just gonna let me die. I never even bothered with the dlc, new Vegas was much gooder.

acowasto

Nov 6, 2017
Gotta agree. NV is the best of the Fallout games. If you modded it correctly, it's even better. Dammit, I played F:NV too much. But then I played all of them too much.
"Patrolling the mojave makes you wish for a nuclear winter."

Weeks of time worth downloading mods, days of working out correct order, game crashing multiple times, even during playthrough, just so you can play it the same way as always, but with new companions, thousand new weapons, new quests and new struggles.

I LOVE them. My main reason is time. While a good game is fun to replay, most of these are barely good enough to play once, nevermind replaying to unlock content.

I agree almost 100%, the differences aren't relevant.

Peace :)
I learned to play with walkthroughs, not because I am lazy... I mean, yes I am lazy, but I learned to play with walkthroughs because I really don't like to grind for points to achive something and in case of many VN's the important choices may not be that obvious and picking the one I agree with the most, or rather not picking the correct one as developer intended, may not only block me from a certain path, set me on a different one I don't like, but can also just end relationship with a girl.

Like, the frest example from haremwatch. When you speak to Fareeha you have two options to pick. The first one is more understanding answer, second is talking back at her. If it wasn't marked in game by the developer I would certainly pick the second one and lock myself out of love route, because I would never though that the first meeting and argument was already the most important choice.

Maid to please? I though I clearly rejected the girl I really don't like, yet it appears I wasn't really allowed to do so, as scenes are clearly progressing with her and the story makes no bloody sense. So I have to, sadly, pick the correct option, to at least have her right under my foot.

A House in the Rift? If you won't pick a correct choice early in the game Isha won't be calling you master later through the game. And it ain't marked choice.
Good thing you get an indication when you earn and lose points, so I don't have to think what dev though is the correct course of action and I can just rollback to pick the correct one.

Yes, but only in combination with another girl.
A clone of Martha, right? :D

4.00 star(s) 101 Votes