VN Ren'Py Abandoned My Little Katelyn [Ch. 3] [Ellaraia]

2.90 star(s) 11 Votes

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I have a PC dedicated to rendering which allows me to render and create images at the same time. Images still take 4-6 hours to render. I was setting an alarm to wake me up at 4AM so I could set off a new render, maximising output. I have now found that i can just use the animation tool in DAZ to have multiple images in the same file and render them in series, so I don't need to be there to set the second image going. More sleep is nice, it also means I waste less time when I go to work.

The reason i had to get a new GPU was because the new locations are very large so putting multiple characters in them pushes the scene over 4GB. This slows rendering from 6 hours to over 20. One took over a day before I cancelled it. Now I have a PC that renders fast, but can only render small images, and one that renders slower and can render anything below 8GB.

I don't know how other devs render so many images. I know that the huge, usually russian, dev teams have many computers or pay for render time. Some games were 720p for a long time before shifting to 1080p when they were successful enough to switch over.
I don't recommend a dual pc setup to anyone who doesn't have a way to cool down the room they are in. As someone who lives in one room, it's very hot in here and there isn't any AC in England.

Reactions: Kendra Denimore

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I have a PC dedicated to rendering which allows me to render and create images at the same time. Images still take 4-6 hours to render. I was setting an alarm to wake me up at 4AM so I could set off a new render, maximising output. I have now found that i can just use the animation tool in DAZ to have multiple images in the same file and render them in series, so I don't need to be there to set the second image going. More sleep is nice, it also means I waste less time when I go to work.

The reason i had to get a new GPU was because the new locations are very large so putting multiple characters in them pushes the scene over 4GB. This slows rendering from 6 hours to over 20. One took over a day before I cancelled it. Now I have a PC that renders fast, but can only render small images, and one that renders slower and can render anything below 8GB.

I don't know how other devs render so many images. I know that the huge, usually russian, dev teams have many computers or pay for render time. Some games were 720p for a long time before shifting to 1080p when they were successful enough to switch over.
I know it's OT, but you should be using for the complicated scenes. While it's normally $25, if you hang around a few weeks it may drop back to $15 where it was for most of March and part of April. It really does a good job at cutting down the rendering times for complex scenes. Daz3D also hates low lighting scenes and those will almost always take the longest to render. Scene optimizer works by cutting down the resolution of all of the assets that you select in a scene down to resolutions more consistent with what your scene needs and can go anywhere from 1/2 resolution to 1/16 resolution. Given that many assets are optimized at high sizes for detail, this could really cut your render times on complex scenes. For other type scenes (like crowd scenes, which are notorious for this), you could use billboards as well, which are pre-rendered, or pre-render a complex background set and overlay details on top of that. Just a few rendering tricks.

Reactions: Ellaraia

Kendra Denimore

Donor
Jul 13, 2017

Well, the gfx-1080 series of cards have 11gb of vram on em, and do a decent job on a lot of stuff, but to REALLY be a render beast, ya almost would have to go to the Quadro series... some of them have over 22gbs of vram, and are actually DESIGNED for rendering in realtime. They are the "workstation" gfx cards. And expensive as hell... a pair of them would give me a 4K UHD render in about 5 seconds... (a guess, I know they will do 2K in about 3 seconds... or at least the one card I'm thinking of can) Got about $20K I can have? I'll get us each one of those cards... ROFL

Deleted member 833007

Aug 20, 2018

Trust me when i say your render arent bad..but you got to have some knowledge of the Audience too...Starting From Amateurs to Experienced..and from Perverts like me to full on Lunatics are gonna play these games...but your goal should be consistent on your passion about your game.. your gonna earn $$$ alright...there gonna be flood of request varying from watersports to futa..and what else god knows... and thats gonna take a toll on you mentally...but the only thing thats gonna keep up the lights up in your dark room at 3:AM is your passion..if you really love what your doing..No matter whatever problem may arise...Victory Shall be yours!..**Opinions from a Well Wisher**..**Love the Game**

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I know it's OT, but you should be using for the complicated scenes. While it's normally $25, if you hang around a few weeks it may drop back to $15 where it was for most of March and part of April. It really does a good job at cutting down the rendering times for complex scenes. Daz3D also hates low lighting scenes and those will almost always take the longest to render. Scene optimizer works by cutting down the resolution of all of the assets that you select in a scene down to resolutions more consistent with what your scene needs and can go anywhere from 1/2 resolution to 1/16 resolution. Given that many assets are optimized at high sizes for detail, this could really cut your render times on complex scenes. For other type scenes (like crowd scenes, which are notorious for this), you could use billboards as well, which are pre-rendered, or pre-render a complex background set and overlay details on top of that. Just a few rendering tricks.
I use too much light, not too little. :(

I saw this tool last month but am trying to not spend too much on DAZ right now.

For the second scene in Chapter 1, I wanted player to sit and watch Lucy, Sophie and 4 other girls play some sport, but it was way too large to render. :(
However, the not having the background and foreground in the same image is a huge drop in quality, IMO.

For the lounge scene, which is the worst one for render times along with the classroom, I have been going through and deleting all the props that the camera can't see and that don't provide light. It helps a good amount but is annoying.

Reactions: seamanq

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Well, the gfx-1080 series of cards have 11gb of vram on em, and do a decent job on a lot of stuff, but to REALLY be a render beast, ya almost would have to go to the Quadro series... some of them have over 22gbs of vram, and are actually DESIGNED for rendering in realtime. They are the "workstation" gfx cards. And expensive as hell... a pair of them would give me a 4K UHD render in about 5 seconds... (a guess, I know they will do 2K in about 3 seconds... or at least the one card I'm thinking of can) Got about $20K I can have? I'll get us each one of those cards... ROFL
Forget $20K, I barely have $20. haha :(

Yeah, my main has a 980 I bought to play Fallout 4, and a second hand 780 I got so I could have a dedicated render PC when creating ShF. My render PC now has a 1070 that i just bought. It was the cheapest card with 8GB.

Kendra Denimore

Donor
Jul 13, 2017
For the lounge scene, which is the worst one for render times along with the classroom, I have been going through and deleting all the props that the camera can't see and that don't provide light. It helps a good amount but is annoying.
I use this option myself, a LOT... if I can't see it in my camera view, and it's doesn't affect light or shadow, it's GONE... Does help alot, but man, is it a pain in the ass to sit and turn things on and off to see "can I see it in the view?"

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Trust me when i say your render arent bad..but you got to have some knowledge of the Audience too...Starting From Amateurs to Experienced..and from Perverts like me to full on Lunatics are gonna play these games...but your goal should be consistent on your passion about your game.. your gonna earn $$$ alright...there gonna be flood of request varying from watersports to futa..and what else god knows... and thats gonna take a toll on you mentally...but the only thing thats gonna keep up the lights up in your dark room at 3:AM is your passion..if you really love what your doing..No matter whatever problem may arise...Victory Shall be yours!..**Opinions from a Well Wisher**..**Love the Game**
Thanks.

Yeah, with ShF I definitely got pulled in too many directions trying to please everyone. It didn't make for a good game. Hence why I'm not really taking on suggestions for MyLK, not for the story and what content to add anywhere. It's my story and I'm going to tell it.

Kendra Denimore

Donor
Jul 13, 2017
Forget $20K, I barely have $20. haha :(

Yeah, my main has a 980 I bought to play Fallout 4, and a second hand 780 I got so I could have a dedicated render PC when creating ShF. My render PC now has a 1070 that i just bought. It was the cheapest card with 8GB.
Ooo, now I don't like you anymore... (kidding, I do still!) I would LOVE to have ANYTHING over a 1060 right now... this 750TI I got was the best I could afford when I got it... and there are days, I just wanna scream! lol

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
I use too much light, not too little. :(

I saw this tool last month but am trying to not spend too much on DAZ right now.

For the second scene in Chapter 1, I wanted player to sit and watch Lucy, Sophie and 4 other girls play some sport, but it was way too large to render. :(
However, the not having the background and foreground in the same image is a huge drop in quality, IMO.

Yeah, in order to pull of scenes like that you either need more GPU or less resolution. I have a feeling the investment in Scene Optimizer would return the investment big time in the larger number of scenes (and more complex scenes) that you could execute without having to spend a ton more for a fancier GPU.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I use this option myself, a LOT... if I can't see it in my camera view, and it's doesn't affect light or shadow, it's GONE... Does help alot, but man, is it a pain in the ass to sit and turn things on and off to see "can I see it in the view?"
Very annoying. I learned too late that you want your render window to be as small as possible so you can see it all in the corner of your eye. Open up the animation tab at the bottom and the content tab on the left. If something changes in the scene, you will always notice it without having to move your eyes at all.

I learned this after hiding pillows, chairs and decorations maybe a thousand or two times.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Yeah, in order to pull of scenes like that you either need more GPU or less resolution. I have a feeling the investment in Scene Optimizer would return the investment big time in the larger number of scenes (and more complex scenes) that you could execute without having to spend a ton more for a fancier GPU.
Yeah, it would probably be worth it, I've just spent far too much on DAZ.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Ooo, now I don't like you anymore... (kidding, I do still!) I would LOVE to have ANYTHING over a 1060 right now... this 750TI I got was the best I could afford when I got it... and there are days, I just wanna scream! lol
I feel your pain. I have a 760GTX and know what you're saying. When I bought it, it was top of the line, though.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018

I've spent about the same amount of money on my setup than I have on assets. At least I use the setup, unlike > 50% of the assets.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
I feel your pain. I have a 760GTX and know what you're saying. When I bought it, it was top of the line, though.
My 780 ti (I think it's TI but it doesn't say on it so I don't know) cost me far too much, but it was at the height of bitcoin mining so the price was huge and it was the only thing available and I needed something. Nothing was in stock. As soon as something became available, a miner bought it. The RAM was extortionate too.

seamanq

Game Developer
Aug 28, 2018
Oh, if only that were true. Unfortunately, it's not. Everything that is in the room has to be processed, whether it is in the scene or not. The reason is that Daz3D renders realistically, meaning that it will process light bouncing off of things (even off scene). When you start removing things (off camera) from the scene, rendering times start to improve, because there are less surfaces to bounce off of.

Ellaraia

Game Developer
Feb 13, 2018
Oh, if only that were true. Unfortunately, it's not. Everything that is in the room has to be processed, whether it is in the scene or not. The reason is that Daz3D renders realistically, meaning that it will process light bouncing off of things (even off scene). When you start removing things (off camera) from the scene, rendering times start to improve, because there are less surfaces to bounce off of.
It affects light a little, but not enough that's it particularly noticeable or worth the added render time, especially when those textures push you over your GPU's limit.

Kendra Denimore

Donor
Jul 13, 2017
True enough, but for the most part, when pushing a poor, overstressed gtx-750TI to it's limits, Reflection and scatter are the least of my concerns. So then things go away to reduce the primary load, causing a reduction in reflection and scatter, but usually it's minor enough to not be noticeable for the most part.

Reactions: Ellaraia

Mytez

Engaged Member
Jul 28, 2017
Wow! This was super cute! I really like the dynamic between Katelyn and MC. Their little lovey-dovey sexual tense relationship and how much they like to mess with each other. Fuck the girlfriend though, I hope MC does the only sensible thing and rides some moose back to Canada with her.

2.90 star(s) 11 Votes