TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
tundralupus :
To be honest, I haven't played in some time so some things may not be accurate.
But she did leave a lasting impression on me and it wasn't a good one. Initially she came across as something of a killjoy tyrant and I did notice a slight softening in her stance but at this point it was 2AM and I had to be up and awake and have eaten something for breakfast by half eight.
I had the assumption that it wasn't to make players excited to meet Grandma but Sandra's enthusiasm for it was infectious. Then she shows up and immediately treats the MC like the shite she stood in on the way there.
I don't project myself onto game characters and I can deal with conflict IRL but this wasn't just conflict. This was outright hostility. I was half expecting her to take out a cat-o-nine-tails and immediately begin lashing the MC with it as soon as everyone's back was turned.
Nobody makes Alice cry (see Vollezar's screencap) and can expect forgiveness from me.
Characters like Lucy and Alice touch my heart, they're crafted with such care.
I can understand that I do encourage you to play again given the opportunity but I know how life can be hectic, I actually thought the same as you, and I'm still not 100% good with Elaine, I tend to always put myself in the other person/character shoes and give second chances so for me it might be a little easier to get past all of that, but again not 100% on her team for many reasons, she still has to atone for a lot, I still feel uncomfortable every time the Mc calls her Granny.

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
You forgot to mention that she thinks the MC is just another Martin, making the girls do what you want just because you're an asshole.
The way she treats everyone, she's closer to being Martin than the MC could ever be.
When you form an opinion and steadfastly believe it and nothing else, nobody and nothing can change your mind. Her only redeeming point is being mom to Becca. She even talks smack about Sandra to her face. How are we supposed to like someone this unlikable?
We were supposed to be excited. I've never wanted to lynch a fictional character this much.

And they'd leave us alone with this monster? Shame on you, new family. Love you, but shame on you still.
(This is not shame on the game, nor shame on the dev, but shame on the family for leaving us alone with someone who can't see beyond the flimsiest of evidence because she wants to see something that isn't there.)

I love the game, I truly do. It needed some tension and drama but Granny is the most obstinate wench I've ever had the displeasure of knowing.
First impressions last forever, they say. And my first impression of her was NOT favourable.
Then again, it's good to get all this "I hate you because you're Martin's son so you must be just like him" and "You're all sick in the head because I say you are!" out of the way as early as possible.
Reading the text...first, second, third and fourth impressions are all the same.

She had every reason to believe that the MC was like Martin, although she kept tabs on him she could not know details of what happened, she knew that he broke up with his girlfriend, and from the fact that he "looked" depressed she could have assumed where his mind was going but all of that was assumptions and not facts, so she needed to confirm it first hand. Indeed she was blah blah tadda yadda blah yadda....
Bollox. She knows everything about us. Can say this for a fact as I only recently played this in full...and finished it 2 days ago. She knows exactly what we are like. She lied in our first meeting. She knows where we were, that we have had no contact with our father since we left home, knows our gf cheated on us, knows where we live...knows we are debt etc etc, even with her 'tab keeping' becoming less.

Shall I continue for you?

Yet...you expect any reasonable, sane, half-intelligent person to accept/think she doesn't also know what kind of person we are? Rofl.....right. She is a liar, deceitful, manipulative, controlling, hostile, demeaning and all without remorse.

Then, to make things interesting, as someone she is apparently scared about (or scared of consequences and reactions)....does she think it would be better to continue no contact and keep our father in the dark or piss him off completely knowing what kind of man he is? Yeah...let's piss him off and hope he doesn't try to exact some kind of revenge...I mean...for a seemingly intelligent person...she pretty fucking stupid also.

For the record, after my first post in this thread, I did forgive her. You know what? I wish I hadn't. In fact, despite my own feelings for the character (as perceived) I think my biggest complaint is that even as a fairly nice guy, the fact we are so damn passive with her is even more annoying. Why couldn't we get a conversation with her like we have with Mary at the dinner table? Our sweet lover-sisters are not going to get their panties twisted just because we raise our voice to 'granny' once or twice, or even that they learn what an utter bitch she has been/still can be.

Last edited:
Reactions: Vollezar

TundraLupus

Apr 8, 2020
Reading the text...first, second, third and fourth impressions are all the same.

Bollox. She knows everything about us. Can say this for a fact as I only recently played this in full...and finished it 2 days ago. She knows exactly what we are like. She lied in our first meeting. She knows where we were, that we have had no contact with our father since we left home, knows our gf cheated on us, knows where we live...knows we are debt etc etc, even with her 'tab keeping' becoming less.

Shall I continue for you?

Yet...you expect any reasonable, sane, half-intelligent person to accept/think she doesn't also know what kind of person we are? Rofl.....right. She is a liar, deceitful, manipulative, controlling. hostile, demeaning and all without remorse.

For the record, after my first post in this thread, I did forgive her. You know what? I wish I hadn't....
Okay, I did say that this part of the writing bothered me though, at the end of the post you can read that, but as I said I would play devil's advocate I will actually answer this.

All of the things you said can be found through hacking, phone-records, private investigators, social media, and probably many other options for a very rich and powerful lawyer, my money is in private investigator that did all the rest, now something a PI couldn't know unless they got close to the MC, befriended them and interacted directly: Their personality, social media is not enough for someone to learn the full range of a person's personality and although observation and keeping tabs of basically everything else might be useful to trace a profile it isn't flawless and it normally needs a lot of actual contact, the PI would have been instructed to not interact directly with anyone as to not attract Martin's attention, and any other option would make direct interactions impossible, therefore, no, she couldn't know what the MC's personality is, that if the Mc actually interacted with the outside world in any significant way, I can actually start a profile of most people that I watched and interacted with in this site, it wouldn't be totally accurate, not even if I WERE a professional, but that is because they expose their views and interact activilly with the world/internet.

I don't expect anything from anyone, expecting things from people only end in disappointment, but as I said above that is the reasons why she shouldn't unless the MC had a psychologist or psychiatrist that broke confidentiality, or friends, but I'm pretty sure he didn't have those, she is most of those things she was a lawyer after all, but jokes aside that is the reason why in another post I said I didn't was 100% ok with her.

Vollezar

Gingers are love. Gingers are life.
Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
She had every reason to believe that the MC was like Martin...
Huh? Based on what? That he is a man?
In that case MC has the right to hate and mistrust her because she is a woman and is most likely just going to abandon everyone. Does that make sense? Didn't think so.
If the old bag did keep an eye on him as she claims she would have known he is nothing like Martin. She would know what his life was like and what his girlfriend did. Elaine herself had a good husband, so unlike her daughters she should know there are good man out there. Her pathetic excuse of "I am just protecting my family" for treating her grandson like shit the first time she meets him is not an excuse at all. She is pathetic and unredeemable.
She just wants everyone to know that she is in control and will do whatever the hell she wants. She has not done a single thing to help her family. All she ever did was spy on her grandson, doubt and blame her daughter for "abandoning" MC, split her family by allowing Mary to constantly shove her nose where it does not belong and talk with her behind everyone else's back. She did nothing to help her granddaughter (Lucy) when the kid was tormented at school. Everyone knew Lucy was being bullied so she would have known as well. She spied on MC but she couldn't have figured out what was happening to Lucy? Bullshit.

BTW. MC will give her another chance this time. I can't forgive her, but MC is different, luckily. Still think they should just dump her in an old age home and come visit once a year, two weeks after christmas.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 618663

Granny may offer up something to Mc,Fiona,Becca and Alice for payment for being a Bitch! That is for Killer7 to decide! Or he could put it to a vote or auction it off I don't know. I would not object to anything like that. Just have a beer/shot or both and wait as best You can.

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
I try to stay out of these discussions but enough has been said about Elaine(granny) that I think I will weigh in.

To begin let's talk about RL. I believe that everyone is redeemable, although not everyone will be redeemed. It's a matter of changed behavior and /or forgiveness which doesn't always mean a change in behavior on the perps part.

From a game POV I see both of those elements with the MC and immediate family and granny. From a story telling POV unless you introduce another character, outside the family, that is very likeable but has the ability to do exactly what granny is capable of doing it would be difficult at best to pull it off. It would require a complete rewrite of the story.

In this story the MC has been established as having a loving person, although I sometimes think he is operating with the wrong brain. He has also been shown as both a forgiving and not forgiving person that so far has a gender gap, meaning has forgiven two females and took revenge on two males. However, he did give the males a chance to redeem themselves.

MNF does have both hate and love in it. So far all members of this family have exibited both of those qualities. Granny is after all family and in one way or another have both shown hate/distain and love toward her.

I believe that is what Killer7 has masterfully crafted in this VN. Keep it in the family baby. Makes for a very interested story.

Edit: Back to RL. Forgiveness is the responsibilty of the person who may feel wronged whether the person who wronged them changes or not.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 618663

3 males Eric,Eric and Dianna's Husband, Tanja and Elaine you are given a choice to forgive or not choose wisely.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 618663

Martin got what was coming to him, mc did not do anything to him, he just chose not to help. Lucy's and Sandra's father we know nothing about except he left the country and really deserves a beating along with Maddie's father Lets turn Fiona Loose on their asses.

Last edited by a moderator:

ut1stgear1

May 2, 2020
Martin got what was coming to him, mc did not do anything to him, he just chose not to help. Lucy's and Sandra's father we know nothing about except he left the country and really deserves a beating along with Maddie's father Lets turn Fiona Loose on their asses.
That's true that MC didn't do anything to Martin but in keeping with my theme the MC did show a great amount of hate. True also we don't know enough about the other two to really comment on but a case can made that the MC has a strong distain for them.

D

Deleted member 618663

Lucy's Father deserves it he wanted to abort her as soon as he found out She was different. Then after she was born He wanted to give her up to be a Lab Rat. Not Cool. Maddie's Father wanted her to lie for him so he could cheat on Her Mom. I would not be sending birthday wishes either.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
Damnit. I am trying yet again, but I just can't forgive Granny. Everyone deserves a second chance but..."
You say everyone deserves a second chance, then add a but? The term everyone seems pretty inclusive.

Dragon59

Conversation Conqueror
Apr 24, 2020
So much for the ability to not forgive Elaine leading to an end of people complaining about the possibility that some people are giving her a second chance.

I'm tempted to quote VP Joe Biden regarding those who still complain after being given a clear option to steer the game they want to.

Please give it a rest. Play the path your want and allow others to play the path they want. Enough with the necro-hippo flagellation.

Vollezar

Gingers are love. Gingers are life.
Game Developer
Aug 14, 2020
You say everyone deserves a second chance, then add a but? The term everyone seems pretty inclusive.
There is a but because to get the second chance a person first needs to actually apologize. In this case she has to say sorry to everyone she has wronged. And actually do something to change herself. Simply being nice to a few people, who already like her anyway, means nothing. She is buttering up to MC, but does that actually mean anything? She is a manipulative person and that could just be that. She also has done nothing to apologize to Fiona or stop Mary from badmouthing Fiona. She knows Fiona has done nothing to deserve all the hate.
I'd give her a second chance, but how would she ever prove that she changed? She is a manipulator. Can she ever be trusted?

3.90 star(s) 250 Votes