-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
My answer is not specific for this game, I meant it in general, if the dev himself added it from the start it's something that can be turned on/off for patreon and other crazies. But often you see a patch that needs to be updated every update, that just exchange all the texts for incest versions. So the last one is where it artifical suggested.

This is better... just 1 variable...

Or a few where you can choose the relations, al be it, I rather have a patch which just sets those relationships...
I agree it's definitely better if the dev themselves does the patch. I know of several games like that, but very often the dev doesn't bother since they know inevitably someone on F95Zone (or elsewhere) will create an incest patch. If someone else is pretty much guaranteed to do the work, why would you bother doing it yourself? I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but I believe that's likely what a lot of developers think.

I'd guess the biggest problem with a patch made by someone else is that you might need to do a ton of work in changing sentences spoken (or thought) in the game, depending on what you're playing. Some games have the dialogue written relatively neutrally and use variables like [sisRel] and [mcNickJane] that makes it work much more easily because an i-patch just has to specify those variable replacements. ("That's my best friend, dickweed! Gingersnap, are you all right?" might become "That's my sister, dickweed! Sis, are you all right?") Clearly, those work well also.

Sometimes, though, there are no variables for relationships or the like. In those cases, patches work much less effectively and often rely on finding and replacing text in the dialogue. It sounds simple enough, but depending on who the speaker is it can go badly too. If Alice, the MC's roommate/sister, is talking with her best friend, she might say, "I can't believe Sarah won't let me go!" so if Sarah is the mother of the MC and Alice, the sentence would read, "I can't believe Mom won't let me go!" That's fine, but what happens if the best friend says the sentence? "I can't believe Mom won't let you go!" doesn't work, because Sarah is Alice's mom, not her friend's mom. And Ren'Py does not have the ability to identify who the speaker is when replacing text, so when it finds an instance of "Sarah" in dialogue, it doesn't know who is saying the word. Therefore it can't be situational and becomes a bit sloppy.

The workaround, ofc, is to rewrite entire lines of dialogue, but that's potentially a lot of work for no pay. Additionally, it might require replacing an entire script file in the /game folder rather than just being an additional file. If the patch creator makes a seemingly simple mistake, it's possible the game will break. Unlikely, but still technically a risk.

These are some examples of why it's best if the dev themselves makes the patch. And it works very well in My Sister, My Roommate precisely for that reason.

Sep 14, 2023
I agree it's definitely better if the dev themselves does the patch. I know of several games like that, but very often the dev doesn't bother since they know inevitably someone on F95Zone (or elsewhere) will create an incest patch. If someone else is pretty much guaranteed to do the work, why would you bother doing it yourself? I'm not saying I necessarily agree, but I believe that's likely what a lot of developers think.

I'd guess the biggest problem with a patch made by someone else is that you might need to do a ton of work in changing sentences spoken (or thought) in the game, depending on what you're playing. Some games have the dialogue written relatively neutrally and use variables like [sisRel] and [mcNickJane] that makes it work much more easily because an i-patch just has to specify those variable replacements. ("That's my best friend, dickweed! Gingersnap, are you all right?" might become "That's my sister, dickweed! Sis, are you all right?") Clearly, those work well also.

Sometimes, though, there are no variables for relationships or the like. In those cases, patches work much less effectively and often rely on finding and replacing text in the dialogue. It sounds simple enough, but depending on who the speaker is it can go badly too. If Alice, the MC's roommate/sister, is talking with her best friend, she might say, "I can't believe Sarah won't let me go!" so if Sarah is the mother of the MC and Alice, the sentence would read, "I can't believe Mom won't let me go!" That's fine, but what happens if the best friend says the sentence? "I can't believe Mom won't let you go!" doesn't work, because Sarah is Alice's mom, not her friend's mom. And Ren'Py does not have the ability to identify who the speaker is when replacing text, so when it finds an instance of "Sarah" in dialogue, it doesn't know who is saying the word. Therefore it can't be situational and becomes a bit sloppy.

The workaround, ofc, is to rewrite entire lines of dialogue, but that's potentially a lot of work for no pay. Additionally, it might require replacing an entire script file in the /game folder rather than just being an additional file. If the patch creator makes a seemingly simple mistake, it's possible the game will break. Unlikely, but still technically a risk.

These are some examples of why it's best if the dev themselves makes the patch. And it works very well in My Sister, My Roommate precisely for that reason.
To add to your story, we also got those dev's that constantly feel the need to go back and fix dialogs in previous chapters, without really progressing the story.

But I would suggest, if the dev didn't think about it, and implement it, it's really a game that doesn't have incest, so the patch would only be artifical, to just make some 'incest freaks' happy.

I personally just want what the dev original intended, and that is 99.9% not having MC living with his landlady who he treats like his mom and calling a girl who lives in another room a roomie. It's my understanding that a roomie is someone who lives in the same room. And a landlady is only there to collect the money, not to make food for him or wash his clothes.

Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

-CookieMonster666-

Devoted Member
Nov 20, 2018
I personally just want what the dev original intended, and that is 99.9% not having MC living with his landlady who he treats like his mom and calling a girl who lives in another room a roomie. It's my understanding that a roomie is someone who lives in the same room. And a landlady is only there to collect the money, not to make food for him or wash his clothes.
This is my view exactly. I'm neutral on a lot of fetishes, including incest and others. So having them related doesn't bother me in the slightest. Having them unrelated doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just want to see a story as the creator intended to enjoy the work they've done. That's pretty much it TBH.

My little tagline at the bottom of my signature about taboos is there for a reason. It describes my attitude about things perfectly. There are fetishes I don't enjoy, ofc, but I have no problem with their existence in a game. Even if they're not optional, as long as things I don't enjoy aren't heavily in the game I don't mind it much. And, if there's a game where that stuff is abundant, I can always just not play the game. No harm, no foul.

Sep 14, 2023
This is my view exactly. I'm neutral on a lot of fetishes, including incest and others. So having them related doesn't bother me in the slightest. Having them unrelated doesn't bother me in the slightest. I just want to see a story as the creator intended to enjoy the work they've done. That's pretty much it TBH.

My little tagline at the bottom of my signature about taboos is there for a reason. It describes my attitude about things perfectly. There are fetishes I don't enjoy, ofc, but I have no problem with their existence in a game. Even if they're not optional, as long as things I don't enjoy aren't heavily in the game I don't mind it much. And, if there's a game where that stuff is abundant, I can always just not play the game. No harm, no foul.
Yeh exactly. A nice example to taking fetishes to extreme is lunar's chosen. I thought it was funny with the magic and the dicks. But it got irritating, one way is no dicks, which misses half the story, and the other option is getting fucked by every woman having a dick. Which got old very soon.

But I'm not allowed to say anything about it, or the dev gives me a facepalm. Well this (my sister my roommate) game is great, unfortunately I already played it twice. Might be a third time sometime soon...

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: -CookieMonster666-

I'm Not Thea Lundgren!

AKA: TotesNotThea
Donor
Jun 21, 2017
What is the deal with the dev? Is he still working on a new game?
Hasn't posted on his patreon for 2 years, not sure if he is still alive...
The dev is slowly working on a new game that is set in the same universe. But, their free time to work on the game isn't what it was when they were working on this game.

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
I wanted to give this game an honest try, but getting disgusted in the first 5 minutes didn't help.
The MC coming across as being extremely introverted, I didn't mind. Him running to 'mommy' to whine about being unable to talk to girls, that raised an eyebrow. Not throwing 'Mrs. Sollain' out of his room, instead losing his virginity to an old, drunk woman. Nope.
There are limits to the level of pathos I think an MC can crawl back from.

pgm_01

Jan 11, 2018
I wanted to give this game an honest try, but getting disgusted in the first 5 minutes didn't help.
The MC coming across as being extremely introverted, I didn't mind. Him running to 'mommy' to whine about being unable to talk to girls, that raised an eyebrow. Not throwing 'Mrs. Sollain' out of his room, instead losing his virginity to an old, drunk woman. Nope.
There are limits to the level of pathos I think an MC can crawl back from.
Did you ever think to keep playing? Maybe the point of the game is the MC starts out as a loser, but the events in the game change him, and you need to play to find out? Don't judge a book by its cover also applies to visual novels, too.

Reactions: Jaun Karr

DigDug69

Jun 29, 2019
Did you ever think to keep playing? Maybe the point of the game is the MC starts out as a loser, but the events in the game change him, and you need to play to find out? Don't judge a book by its cover also applies to visual novels, too.
That is very true.
The whole point of most of the visual novels is for characters to grow or change in some way.
At the start of the story the MC might be a weak character with tons of flaws.
But, by the end of the story, more often than not, they turn into Lance Goodthrust of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and then they ride off on the women, and live happily ever after...

Last edited:

Quetzzz

Sep 29, 2023
Did you ever think to keep playing? Maybe the point of the game is the MC starts out as a loser, but the events in the game change him, and you need to play to find out?
Alright, I'm considering playing some more. Though, please answer me this first; Does the MC, at any point, introspect about what happened with Sollain? I think introspection is needed for character growth, to frame why he's doing what he's doing. What lessons he's learned from past mistakes. If he even thinks Sollain was a mistake, which I hope he does.
From what people in another thread have said, I suspect I need the mindset of watching an R rated "Ernest Goes to College". I'm not sure if I'm able to distance myself from the MC that much, to laugh at him.

That is very true.
The whole point of most of the visual novels is for characters to grow or change in some way.
At the start of the story the MC might be a weak character with tons of flaws.
But, by the end of the story, more often than not, they turn into Lance Goodthrust of the Royal Canadian Mounted Police, and then they ride off on the women, and live happily ever after...
I don't agree with "more often than not", the amount of AVN that had a wet-blanket MC at the start and end of it, is ridiculous. I love character growth in an AVN, most don't have it.
Character growth is about making bad choices and learning from them, the number of women he ends up boning isn't really a metric. So many MCs bone every woman and learn nothing.

Don't judge a book by its cover also applies to visual novels, too.
This has always been a weird saying to me... If there are 1000 books to pick from, and you can't possibly read them all, why wouldn't you use the cover (specially the backside of it) to filter them?
I'd even argue that I read the cover (the front page), then read the first few pages, and found it wanting.
But, like I said above, I am willing to give it another go.

(tagging DA22 and Penfold Mole in case they like to participate here)

3.90 star(s) 128 Votes