Burt

Ignoring Social Media
Dec 14, 2016
I miss the GTX 1080 Ti in this list (3584 Cuda Cores)
GTX 980 Ti (2816 Cuda Cores)
GTX Titan X (3072 Cuda Cores)

GTX 1070 only has 1920 Cuda Cores (my GTX 960 1024 Cuda Cores)
Cuda Cores are important for rendering in Iray? At least I thought so.
They are but if you go to nvidias IRAY site you will see that it loves multi card and try to compare their findings against your own ambitions remember this is at this stage completely funded by you

This is an old-ish comparisson but it has a lot of decent info I just skimmed it
the 1080's were out even before this review
If you are running 2@ 980 GTX TI you have many more Cudas than a 1080
Its not just the cudas its about other things like IRAY is dependnat on the processor a lot and so the instruction set will be helped if you can possibly run a Xeon set up have a read I am at work so I cant spend too much time on this

We run comercially 980GTX Ti's with Xeons purely as its IMO the most cost effective setup for return for outlay but the decision always has to be yours
All the best I mean that truely

Last edited:
Reactions: Pandelo

paladin07

May 28, 2017
Remember too that the 1070 and 1080 architecture is built around a smaller size chips using Pascal architecture, so while it may have fewer CUDA cores, it may have higher overall performance/speed.
see
and
You could get 2 1070s and bridge them SLI for just a bit more than the cost of a 980TI. But I am not an expert, look into it. :)
the debate rages (or raged at one time) on DAZ forums...

Reactions: Pandelo

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
So far, you don't seem to have overly complex scenes going on, but if you are looking to the future for your Daz Studio usage, the 1080Ti is definitely something to consider, due to the 11 Gb of memory. You won't want the Titan XP though. It's almost twice the money of a 1080Ti for not much gain. Sure it has 12 Gb of memory, but two 1080 Ti's will give you much more bang for your buck.

$730+ for a founders edition 1080Ti might be out of your budget though. It IS significantly faster than a stock 1080, sometimes as much as 30% or more faster...

1080 Ti's are the holy grail for Daz Studio these days. Titan XPs are about 5% faster, sure, but you are paying almost double for them..

Also, as pointed out, keep in mind that VRAM does NOT 'stack' with multiple cards, as each card must hold the entire scene within the card memory in order to work on the scene. But the doubling, etc. of 'cuda cores DOES make a difference (roughly half the render time with 2 cards, 1/3rd the time with 3, and of course 1/4 the time with 4). It's not 100% linear, but it's pretty close in the benchmarks.

As to whether you are going to be able to use all 11 GB of VRAM (actually 9, Windows reserves 2), well you'd probably need a fairly complex scene with multiple characters, and maybe HD textures, to hit that bar, but it is possible... And of course, you can always add a 2nd card later to reduce render times (and maybe 3rd or 4th, after that the diminishing returns make it not worth it).

Again, this is a 'building with the future in mind' choice. If your budget will allow. Should you decide that you like this rendering thing, you might as well get the best you can afford, when you can afford it.

You won't necessarily need SLI for Daz though. Two identical Nvidia cards should work, but the 960 that you are using now is pretty far down the food chain as far as Iray rendering goes. Might as well get a faster/better card instead, as you are planning.

You MIGHT be able to do something weird like use the 960 to run the system display and Daz viewport, while reserving the faster card exclusively for rendering... I've used my integrated GPU to drive the Daz viewport before (in my previous system, it was AMD graphics), while the CPU focused on the rendering (didn't have an NVidia card).

Your game is off to a very good start, so I suspect that patrons will continue to flock to your efforts. You'll be able to afford better cards soon enough.

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Still no proper walkthrough yet...looks like i have to wait for 0.0.4 and hope that comes with walkthrough :FeelsBadMan:
I think, that with using the mousewheel, you don't really need to walkthrough yet, because there are no choices that you can't just roll back, in this version at least. And with the after tanning salon choice, the game tells you, so no worries there. :)

OhWee

Forum Fanatic
Modder
Game Developer
Jun 17, 2017
Just a quick note. NOT all mice have mouse wheels. I have similar functionality, but not in a way that is recognized by RenPy. The Page Up and Page Down keys also allow you to back trough or advance through the dialogue, AS LONG AS the developer hasn't blocked that functionality. Some developers will deliberately add commands to the dialogue to block this (reversing through dialogue)...

Synnerai

Nov 11, 2016
Just a quick note. NOT all mice have mouse wheels. I have similar functionality, but not in a way that is recognized by RenPy. The Page Up and Page Down keys also allow you to back trough or advance through the dialogue, AS LONG AS the developer hasn't blocked that functionality. Some developers will deliberately add commands to the dialogue to block this (reversing through dialogue)...
Yeah, that's right. Some games don't allow you to "scroll" through dialogue, like for example My Legacy in latest versions. Thankfully this game does. And I always save the game before making a decision which most Ren: py games allow, thankfully. But you have to remember to do so, which can be hard sometimes, especially if you are far too immersed in the story... amongst other things ;-)

paladin07

May 28, 2017
Yeah, that's right. Some games don't allow you to "scroll" through dialogue, like for example My Legacy in latest versions. Thankfully this game does. And I always save the game before making a decision which most Ren: py games allow, thankfully. But you have to remember to do so, which can be hard sometimes, especially if you are far too immersed in the story... amongst other things ;-)
Too many potential game overs to turn this functionality off. Not unfair but kind of a jerk move. But @Pandelo is above that sort of dickishness. :)

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
@TechCarmin i think the rough walkthrough give you a baseline on where to go for v0.03. when I wrote it up I was only gunning for maximum pts with the neighbors daughter. I'll admit I save scummed and took advantage of the scroll back via mouse wheel when it looked like I fucked up.

even with all this in mind the new version wasn't much of a grind (thank goodness for Ren'py)

Reactions: paladin07

paladin07

May 28, 2017
@TechCarmin i think the rough walkthrough give you a baseline on where to go for v0.03. when I wrote it up I was only gunning for maximum pts with the neighbors daughter. I'll admit I save scummed and took advantage of the scroll back via mouse wheel when it looked like I fucked up.

even with all this in mind the new version wasn't much of a grind (thank goodness for Ren'py)
Yeah, me too. Ended up with daughter 28 LP 31 FP, Mom 23 LP 11 FP

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
yea hopefully that helps once 0.04 drops and all that effort to maximizing her points pays off. I am encouraged by the preview picture. btw thank you again @paladin2907 just in case you didn't feel appreciated enough; because I appreciate you (no homo)

Reactions: paladin07

atlas114

Engaged Member
May 4, 2017
And I always save the game before making a decision which most Ren: py games allow, thankfully. But you have to remember to do so, which can be hard sometimes, especially if you are far too immersed in the story... amongst other things ;-)
I'll freely admit that I have my left hand hitting the space bar to skip dialogue and uncomfortably reaching over to use my right-handed mouse to click decision points while my right hand is...occupied with stuff. :tf:

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
You should learn to use the left hand for... stuff. It' very handly :eek:penedeyewink:

BTW seems I'm the only who wants to follow the mother's path?

paladin07

May 28, 2017
You should learn to use the left hand for... stuff. It' very handly :eek:penedeyewink:

BTW seems I'm the only who wants to follow the mother's path?
If you play your cards right you can get a both path :heartcoveredeyes:
, in all honesty, the mom actually has the better body but the daughters Youth and innocence are a turn-on.

May 3, 2017
Started from 0.03. Nice and slow.
Well illustrates teenage girl's jealousy and puppy lovey; and of course MILF.
Will follow up updates.

UncleVT

Låt den rätta komma in
Jul 2, 2017
If you play your cards right you can get a both path :heartcoveredeyes:
, in all honesty, the mom actually has the better body but the daughters Youth and innocence are a turn-on.
Obviously I want BOTH. Why are you asking... ;)
Of course I want both too :FeelsGoodMan: but until now I'm maximized the Mom path, whose affections seem to be more difficult to achieve.

paladin07

May 28, 2017
I'll freely admit that I have my left hand hitting the space bar to skip dialogue and uncomfortably reaching over to use my right-handed mouse to click decision points while my right hand is...occupied with stuff. :tf:
Drinking coffee is a common "disabling" use for the right hand, I hear.

4.60 star(s) 85 Votes