VN Ren'Py Abandoned My Teenage Years [v0.1b] [MTY Games]

4.90 star(s) 7 Votes

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Nice to see many of you enjoying are enjoying it (phew).

I thought I would make the plan clear as I understand I haven't really outlined what the future holds. I was planning on putting this all up on Patreon later today but will take the opportunity to do it here as well.

The game was never intended to be a sandbox style game. I apologise if I have miscommunicated this previously. It is primarily a progressive visual novel with small sections of open world gameplay. I have previously mentioned I take inspiration from games such as Man of the House, Big Brother, which may have caused this misunderstanding - sorry about that!

Anyway, the open world scenes are a nightmare for me to code so you won't be seeing too much of that going forward :LOL:

The intent is to make the story feel real/natural. The primary focus of this first series (Volume 1) will be the story of the MC and Hailey **cough** Jess. I don't know how many episodes there will be in Volume 1, however I can say that it's not going to be over within a couple of episodes, but at the same time I don't want it drag out endlessly. I just want it to feel like a natural progression. The grand plan is a set of stories, prequalling and sequalling this one, and that's all I say about that for now.

Thanks again for all those that have played and provided feedback, it's very much appreciated!

Jan 9, 2020
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Nice to see many of you enjoying are enjoying it (phew).

I thought I would make the plan clear as I understand I haven't really outlined what the future holds. I was planning on putting this all up on Patreon later today but will take the opportunity to do it here as well.

The game was never intended to be a sandbox style game. I apologise if I have miscommunicated this previously. It is primarily a progressive visual novel with small sections of open world gameplay. I have previously mentioned I take inspiration from games such as Man of the House, Big Brother, which may have caused this misunderstanding - sorry about that!

Anyway, the open world scenes are a nightmare for me to code so you won't be seeing too much of that going forward :LOL:

The intent is to make the story feel real/natural. The primary focus of this first series (Volume 1) will be the story of the MC and Hailey **cough** Jess. I don't know how many episodes there will be in Volume 1, however I can say that it's not going to be over within a couple of episodes, but at the same time I don't want it drag out endlessly. I just want it to feel like a natural progression. The grand plan is a set of stories, prequalling and sequalling this one, and that's all I say about that for now.

Thanks again for all those that have played and provided feedback, it's very much appreciated!
i-patch mega link ?

Dec 9, 2020
Well that's like a first, mom gets drunk, cheats, dad finds her, they work it out and stay together, usually the other way around and dad leaves. The likelihood of her cheating again is practically none so it establishes she's not going to be a LI, so a brother/sister story. So it's kinda baffling when you're given the option to give her a large or small glass of wine, because of the intro who wouldn't think hey give her the large glass and see if something can happen. Same outcome she hugs and thanks you, and nothing happens, the choice is meaningless. Is this suppose to be more of a personal asshole check on whether or not you would attempt to get her drunk? lol.

The choices don't seem to have any impact on the scene or the statuses (I'd guess the meters aren't working at the moment). Like you can peek on the sister twice, go all the way and get caught and you end up giving her a compliment or showing some kindness that's accepted, there's no real reason/reward for stopping early.

I don't see a reason to hide the navigation menu up top in free roam mode (there's already a hide ui option), when you're not in free roam for the most part. Games usually have it on the bottom, if it's about clickable area, then maybe it should be made as a button or hover button on the left bottom side which expands to the right, but at least something is visible always unless you use the hide ui button.

Other than that, nice renders, feels like it's going to be a very slow burn if it's just about the siblings.

Reactions: EZ8lt

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
Hmm a icest game where the MC's father is still alive and happily married to the mom. Suss!
That's like a unicorn around here.

Vrijgeest

Engaged Member
Jun 16, 2019
It is a sandbox. Sorry it is. Not interested. Too many sandboxes. Saves thinking.

Holy Bacchus

Conversation Conqueror
Dec 13, 2018
Nice new game on my radar. The renders are great, the premise is interesting, and the relationship between the MC and Jess feels very nice and genuine. The romance vibe between the two is a nice change of pace from most other games of this genre and it may mean this is a slowburner because of that, but with such a good vibe already, the payoff is sure to be worth it.

Going forward I hope it just sticks with the MC/Jess romance. The Mom is alright, but I don't think we need the MC and her to get up to anything and I certainly don't want to see anything happen with Jess and the Dad. Also, I hope that stuff about the quarry is just a folk tale because the grounded nature of this game is really good and if anything supernatural or sci-fi starts happning, I feel it could ruin that.

I use this gif a lot, MTY Games, but it's quite useful in these instances. :giggle:

Career.gif

It is a sandbox. Sorry it is. Not interested. Too many sandboxes. Saves thinking.
It's got approximately 0% complexity as the interface is incredibly simple and the game spells out exactly what you have to do during the free-roam portions, and it doesn't seem like it will really increase in complexity going forward either.

Reactions: Dstrman

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
Nice new game on my radar. The renders are great, the premise is interesting, and the relationship between the MC and Jess feels very nice and genuine. The romance vibe between the two is a nice change of pace from most other games of this genre and it may mean this is a slowburner because of that, but with such a good vibe already, the payoff is sure to be worth it.

Going forward I hope it just sticks with the MC/Jess romance. The Mom is alright, but I don't think we need the MC and her to get up to anything and I certainly don't want to see anything happen with Jess and the Dad. Also, I hope that stuff about the quarry is just a folk tale because the grounded nature of this game is really good and if anything supernatural or sci-fi starts happning, I feel it could ruin that.

I use this gif a lot, MTY Games, but it's quite useful in these instances. :giggle:

View attachment 1050972

It's got approximately 0% complexity as the interface is incredibly simple and the game spells out exactly what you have to do during the free-roam portions, and it doesn't seem like it will really increase in complexity going forward either.
Thanks for the comments. As a side note, I thought I was the smartest kid in the world figuring out the Senetor was the bad guy from the get go. :ROFLMAO: Also, you don't have to worry about the quarry!

Naxos

Engaged Member
May 9, 2018
MTY Games as a few have already said, a great looking game. nice renders. Haven't gone far, but the mom and especially the sis look great. (y)(y)

I joked earlier about the father still being alive and happily married but that really is a rather unique thing, so props for that.

I don't want to be that guy, but would you mind sharing some of the planned tags? Specifically any plans to include or not include some of the more controversial ones, as people kinda like to know that before getting too invested to be hit with something they didn't expect.

Also you should probably do a ticket for a dev tag if you haven't already.

WildBillKatt

Oct 4, 2018
Oh ffs, another stupid and bland free-roam system.

It's almost like developers enjoy making things difficult and poorly designing their games. Where is the fun blindly clicking from room to room, with no direction or clue what to do.

Unless you're a masochist, this is one to avoid.

Closed, deleted, ignored. GLHF.
Very disappointing so far. Half hour in I haven't seen a female, and not allowed to do anything til I find a phone that may or may not exist.

vergil414

Nov 11, 2018

(y)I like your game,especially the story.
I think most people like the story because the beginning of the story, when mom cheats,dad didn‘t leave like other games.
Dad chose to stay at home,and parent try to pretend like nothing happend.
But MC know it happend,parent know it too.
If the Series1 focus on MC and the sister, that means the parents will be like they don‘t exist?
:oops:So why MC tell us the story of his parent at the beginning ,if the game is a story of sister-brother.
We would like to know how MC‘s parent relationship goes,and what would MC to do with it.

:censored:If this game just a story about sister-brother,i have to leave,because it's would be a very ordinary game.

4.90 star(s) 7 Votes