VN Ren'Py Abandoned My Teenage Years [v0.1b] [MTY Games]

4.90 star(s) 7 Votes

gamersglory

Xpression Games
Donor
Game Developer
Aug 23, 2017
"I really hope you enjoy the project. Remember this is just the beginning, and as it's my first sole project please go easy on me! To begin with the full version of this release will be publicly available. Once there is more content then I envisage having a public demo available to everyone, with future full releases available to supporters. "

I just want to make sure I understand your meaning here (as there has been confusion over this kind of thing in the past with non-native english speakers), if you are saying that you intend to not have a public release for future versions at all, then that's a really bad idea. People around here tend to respond very negatively to "locked behind a paywall" content.

I know you're just doing the "business thing" and trying to funnel people to actually pay you for your work (perfectly fine), however that doesn't really work around here. They will resent it, and not donate out of spite. A few brave heroic souls may sub if the game is actually good, but they will immediately leak the game here for everyone else, and you will get a bad reputation for locking things behind a paywall, which could further negatively impact subscriptions.

I'd suggest more of a staggered release, once a new version is available to subs, make the previous version public. There's still a big chance it'll get leaked (it's just something that will happen once you get enough subs) but if it's "eventually free" people usually don't mind waiting. People will then decide to sub or not based on how they actually feel about the game instead of resenting being forced to sub in order to get content.
This seems like something that devs read through before posting their game. The bottom line is it will leak if it's good. There will always be a business component as the games don't make themselves. But you do need to care about what you're making. If you are just trying to make a quick buck people will see through that and not support too.

Jun 30, 2020
Yes it is, absolutely, but it shouldn't be. Thanks for pointing this out, will fix it now!
Just noticed the "two Rebeccas" thing too. I loaded the patch and frankly the story doesn't make any sense at all now. Looking forward to the fix.

One other thing I noticed is that when dad and son get to the cabin, dad tells son that there are rooms for Hailey and Rebecca upstairs, but on the map of the house there's no Rebecca's room. Are we assuming that she's sharing a room with dad? Given dad's history with his ex-wife Rebecca, this is confusing.

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
A few people have pointed out some plot holes due to how I implemented the patch. Apologies for this, it's being worked on right now and I should have a update available by the end of the day.

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
Reactions: cold_arctus

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
I was advised to use the nightly because the 'stable' version was creating a false positive in windows defender for the 32bit executable. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.
Ok, your reason is noble, but RenpyTom specifically tells people not to use the nightly builds to release games with.
1614261821943.png

If you don't use any of the newer features introduced with Ren'Py 7.4.x you better downgrade to 7.3.5 to avoid the false-positive issue.

Xor Can you please put a disclaimer message on OP and tell people that they might get a "NO DC" watermark after playing this game, since the game use an unstable Ren'Py version. Thanks! (So far only users with a Nvidia GPU are affected by the problem.) No longer needed.

More information here: https://f95zone.to/threads/no-dc-watermark.75132/

EDIT my post.

Last edited:

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
Ok, your reason is noble, but RenpyTom specifically tells people not to use the nightly builds to release games with.
View attachment 1053470

If you don't use any of the newer features introduced with Ren'Py 7.4. you better downgrade to 7.3.5 to avoid the false-positive issue.

Xor Can you please put a disclaimer message on OP and tell people that they might get a "NO DC" watermark after playing this game, since the game use an unstable Ren'Py version. Thanks! (So far only users with a Nvidia GPU are affected by the problem.)

More information here: https://f95zone.to/threads/no-dc-watermark.75132/
Already downgraded, thanks. Today's patch will be using 7.3.5.

Reactions: cold_arctus

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
Version 0.1b (bug fixes) now available.

Right-click and save target as:

Please download from this post until X0R has had an opportunity to re-upload to filehosters. (Thanks X0R)
Also, avoid compressed version until it has been updated (out of my control, sorry!)

Thanks for everyones bug reports and feedback. I'm never gunna get pissed off with starcitizen QA team ever again.

Special naughty patch remains the same, available in first post. Place patch in main 'game' folder.

---------------------

0.1b changelog

Fixed:

Renpy version downgraded to 7.4.2 to avoid potential issue with OPEN GL watermark issue appearing.

32bit executable removed due to false positive warning in Windows Defender.

Introduction dialogue and family portrait scene modified to remove plot hole when playing unpatched version of game.
(Most changes to unpatched version, people playing patched version won't notice too much difference here.)

Dining Room CTD caused by 'Swich Displayable' fixed.

Multiple script issues causing incorrect names to be displayed at certain points.

Known Issues:

Potential crash when opening the game with error message regarding 'global.name'. Closing and launching again may fix this, however I cannot currently replicate - please report any future occurances with this latest build.

-------------------------

Last edited:

Takkertje

Mar 4, 2020
Nopy link seems to be corrupted.
DL' ed twice . Both times downloading stops at 648Mb
Mega works.

KenneX

Apr 21, 2019
I can't run MyTeenageYears.exe (0.1b version), I'm getting Not a Valid Win32 Application Error.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I can't run MyTeenageYears.exe (0.1b version), I'm getting Not a Valid Win32 Application Error.
I'm not seeing an issue with the version I downloaded from Mega, so I would recommend this:
  1. Move your patch (if applicable) to another folder outside of the game's folder.
  2. Delete your game folder (don't worry, you won't lose your saves).
  3. Extract version 0.1b to a clean folder.
  4. Then move your patch back and try restarting the game.
That's always been a force of habit with me when playing updated games (both Unity and Ren'Py games). I'm not sure if it applies to Ren'Py, but I do know that some games, if you do an overwrite, will cause a lot of issues. So extracting to a clean folder is always the best way to go.

KenneX

Apr 21, 2019
I'm not seeing an issue with the version I downloaded from Mega, so I would recommend this:
  1. Move your patch (if applicable) to another folder outside of the game's folder.
  2. Delete your game folder (don't worry, you won't lose your saves).
  3. Extract version 0.1b to a clean folder.
  4. Then move your patch back and try restarting the game.
That's always been a force of habit with me when playing updated games (both Unity and Ren'Py games). I'm not sure if it applies to Ren'Py, but I do know that some games, if you do an overwrite, will cause a lot of issues. So extracting to a clean folder is always the best way to go.
I didn't overwrite anything, 0.1b was my first version, clean unpack. Patch or no patch, doesn't run (Windows 7).

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
As mentioned in my patch notes above, 32bit executable has been removed as there is a core problem with renpy at the moment showing the 32bit executable as a false positive. Until they fix that error then it's 64bit only.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I didn't overwrite anything, 0.1b was my first version, clean unpack. Patch or no patch, doesn't run (Windows 7).
I just checked on an older Win7 (x64) system and I'm getting the same thing as you are. So it appears it has to do with the OS.

KenneX

Apr 21, 2019
As mentioned in my patch notes above, 32bit executable has been removed as there is a core problem with renpy at the moment showing the 32bit executable as a false positive. Until they fix that error then it's 64bit only.
What do you mean 64bit only when 64bit .exe doesn't work on Windows 7 64bit? I had this problem before with the newest Ren'Py and someone made a workaround .exe file (something to do with the icon causing the error?). Just make a working .exe.

MTY Games

Game Developer
Jan 12, 2019
What do you mean 64bit only when 64bit .exe doesn't work on Windows 7 64bit? I had this problem before with the newest Ren'Py and someone made a workaround .exe file (something to do with the icon causing the error?). Just make a working .exe.
I’ll see what I can find out, but no one else has reported this error. Do you know who it was who made a workaround .exe by any chance?

4.90 star(s) 7 Votes