whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Not quite. One has to define the terms for mutual understanding too. Does an injury count or is the speaker only discussing fatalities? What divisor is in use: minutes spent traveling or event-days? Are we talking about personal skill or averages? If I were to try to pilot a plane, it would almost certainly rate as more dangerous than driving. Unless my niece was the driver. Then perhaps, I'd still be safer.
lmao :ROFLMAO: your poor niece, being slandered! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, but that's an exception & exceptions don't really alter anything with regards to the facts.
We are not talking about air travel vs car travel in the hands of people with no experience. That's a crapshoot lol
As I said, take the numbers from "accidents, injuries and fatalities per capita".
If the number of accidents, injuries and fatalities is higher for one, than for the other, per capita, then the one with the higher number is the less safe method.
Facts are facts, whichever way they fall.
Right. But a lot of opinions about a game can (and should) be rephrased as personal subjective experience. That doesn't make the statements wrong, just ill-phrased. For example, "The preponderance of all-lesbian / bisexual women is a serious turn off and has ruined the game experience for me."
Yup. 100%. (y)

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
lmao :ROFLMAO: your poor niece, being slandered! :LOL::ROFLMAO:
Yeah, but that's an exception & exceptions don't really alter anything with regards to the facts.
We are not talking about air travel vs car travel in the hands of people with no experience. That's a crapshoot lol
As I said, take the numbers from "accidents, injuries and fatalities per capita".
If the number of accidents, injuries and fatalities is higher for one, than for the other, per capita, then the one with the higher number is the less safe method.
Facts are facts, whichever way they fall.

Yup. 100%. (y)
Again, it depends on how you define safety and danger. The definitions are where the devils reside in statistics. Are other factors (such as potential exposure to an airborne pandemic) being accounted for?

Always understand what definitions / assumptions are in use to understand the analysis.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
Again, it depends on how you define safety and danger. The definitions are where the devils reside in statistics. Are other factors (such as potential exposure to an airborne pandemic) being accounted for?

Always understand what definitions / assumptions are in use to understand the analysis.
lol yeah, then we have to start calculating probabilities.
Fortunately, that's why there are statisticians who do this shit for a living to produce categorical statements.

Same thing still applies. The person who says "X is safer than Y" needs to define which metrics they are calculating this opinion by.
Then the facts will either support, or deny.
Someone else may wish to take other metrics into consideration.

Again, that's what happens if we choose to present our opinion, it's open to be challenged.
If we don't want our opinion challenged, we should keep it to ourself.

Last edited:

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
lol yeah, then we have to start calculating probabilities.
Fortunately, that's why there are statisticians who do this shit for a living to produce categorical statements.
Statisticians, to put it bluntly, are people hired by other people and therefore have agendas. Always try to understand their assumptions and definitions. Typically there is a wide range for any category of study -- that always comes back to the definitions used, assuming all parties are honest.

whichone

Forum Fanatic
Jan 3, 2018
100% agree, can't do anything with unknown entities (y)
Statisticians, to put it bluntly, are people hired by other people and therefore have agendas. Always try to understand their assumptions and definitions. Typically there is a wide range for any category of study -- that always comes back to the definitions used, assuming all parties are honest.
Yeah, in a lot of circumstance the conclusion presented is not trustworthy, due to agenda of the people producing it and what they're trying to show (& why).
I would prefer to see the figures & draw my own conclusion, if possible.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Actually, in my (professional) experience, almost all statistics used by sources we call "reliable" (so not that one uncle's facebook post) actually are reliable and correct in and of itself. You are correct that it is important to understand what has been asked or measured first, and often you need additional information before you can come to a conclusion what something means.

Statistics are an exact science, even if dealing with probabilities, so an agenda does not hurt the statistic itself, because that can be checked. An agenda may affect what gets published and what does not, it may affect the headline in the press statement - but that's usually not the statistician's doing anymore.

Reactions: whichone

sillyrobot

Engaged Member
Apr 22, 2019
Actually, in my (professional) experience, almost all statistics used by sources we call "reliable" (so not that one uncle's facebook post) actually are reliable and correct in and of itself. You are correct that it is important to understand what has been asked or measured first, and often you need additional information before you can come to a conclusion what something means.

Statistics are an exact science, even if dealing with probabilities, so an agenda does not hurt the statistic itself, because that can be checked. An agenda may affect what gets published and what does not, it may affect the headline in the press statement - but that's usually not the statistician's doing anymore.
It can also affect the headline and obscure the underlying data. For example, measurements of the upper atmosphere cooling have been used in an attempt to rebut global warming as has short-term satellite data.

The reports are true. The conclusions are not. The assumptions and definitions explained why.

Additionally, even though the FSM community has long noted the correlation of piracy prevalence and global warming does not in fact show any causation.

Nelix171

Apr 10, 2020
Is there a basic walkthru for the 1st 3 or 4 days. I cant find any staff and am totally out of funds to renovate.

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
It can also affect the headline and obscure the underlying data. For example, measurements of the upper atmosphere cooling have been used in an attempt to rebut global warming as has short-term satellite data.

The reports are true. The conclusions are not. The assumptions and definitions explained why.

Additionally, even though the FSM community has long noted the correlation of piracy prevalence and global warming does not in fact show any causation.
Well, it's an old adage that correlation does not equal causation (although, as xkcd put it, it often winks at you) and especially with modern data mining techniques you'll be able to find the oddest correlations which of course have no other connection. However, statistics itself are solid, it is what is made of them, as in your examples.

It may be, though, as much as I love this topic, we went slightly off topic.

Why can't I reach Hotel level 5?

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
anyone have a save for the end of v0.4.2.8? I seem to have deleted mine
Sorry, don't have the old one. Just for future reference, maybe you did what I once did too, and forgot to copy your "profile" folder to the new folder. If it's still in the trash, you may be able to recover it. Apart from that, always copy your save folder unlike in RenPy :)

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Completely different question: what do you have the girls call you? I don't like repetition, so I went with

Amber: Bro
Riley: My lord
Kay: Boss
Laura: Doctor
Annika: Herrani ("My lord" in Finnish)
Hana: Sensei

4.00 star(s) 243 Votes