Grizzly^_^

Dec 2, 2017
Thing is, this might be economically feasible, also given everything you say, but in the end it is not how the hotel is set up, not what MC or dad wanted or did. We only have $700 rooms (for cheapskates like Orville) or the decent ones. Backpackers cannot afford it. And Sofia would never just drop somewhere for a night without asking for services. It is not a bad idea for a lewd hotel management sim, but for this one IMO it doesn't gel.
Um, I said Backpackers WOULDNT be part of the Overnighters.
I was saying that the Overnighters would be traveling rich folk, who are only stopping over in the area or such. Thats why they could afford the 700$ room. I just felt that it would prob be more growth worthy if the Hotel just accepted Rich Overnighters at first, and then after the VIPs were met they would book for longer stays as our reputation go up. Instead of the instant 2night stay at the recently and ongoing renovating Hotel.

At the start of the game, we are an unknown Hotel Manager who has recently reopened an old Hotel that has been abandoned for a while now, the rooms have only just been referbished and yet we start off with the chance of getting the Rare VIPs within the first week who are instantly willing to drop 2k down at the least on the rooms.
Thus the idea that if there was an included Minor Guest known as Overnighters, which at the start all VIPs look like, then there would be the feeling that we were the last choice initially, until eventually we start getting to know our VIPs and they start making themselves Regulars.

Ehh, it feels like your sorta on the same field as I am, but we are just not playing the exact same game just yet. All good, willing to stop here, just saying...

Cartageno

Devoted Member
Dec 1, 2019
Um, I said Backpackers WOULDNT be part of the Overnighters.
I was saying that the Overnighters would be traveling rich folk, who are only stopping over in the area or such. Thats why they could afford the 700$ room. I just felt that it would prob be more growth worthy if the Hotel just accepted Rich Overnighters at first, and then after the VIPs were met they would book for longer stays as our reputation go up. Instead of the instant 2night stay at the recently and ongoing renovating Hotel.

At the start of the game, we are an unknown Hotel Manager who has recently reopened an old Hotel that has been abandoned for a while now, the rooms have only just been referbished and yet we start off with the chance of getting the Rare VIPs within the first week who are instantly willing to drop 2k down at the least on the rooms.
Thus the idea that if there was an included Minor Guest known as Overnighters, which at the start all VIPs look like, then there would be the feeling that we were the last choice initially, until eventually we start getting to know our VIPs and they start making themselves Regulars.

Ehh, it feels like your sorta on the same field as I am, but we are just not playing the exact same game just yet. All good, willing to stop here, just saying...
All good definitely. Yeah, as I said, generally this would make sense, I just still don't think it would suit the backstory here. Or the identity type of the guys we're getting (then again, they do show up without any reservation and complain when we can't take them in). Also story wise - who goes to a hotel with yoga studio and everything for three days, so I guess I am not strengthening my point here, they are already kinda that.

Anyways, I do not think it is necessary from a gameplay perspective, we make enough money as is (just sometimes need a bit of patience to let it accumulate). Gotta have to agree to disagree here and pity poor Faerin who must read our discussion ;)

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
All good definitely. Yeah, as I said, generally this would make sense, I just still don't think it would suit the backstory here. Or the identity type of the guys we're getting (then again, they do show up without any reservation and complain when we can't take them in). Also story wise - who goes to a hotel with yoga studio and everything for three days, so I guess I am not strengthening my point here, they are already kinda that.

Anyways, I do not think it is necessary from a gameplay perspective, we make enough money as is (just sometimes need a bit of patience to let it accumulate). Gotta have to agree to disagree here and pity poor Faerin who must read our discussion ;)
While I missed most of this, and don't have time to backtrack, I can say that the stays do get a bit longer as the game goes goes on and they become higher level, and I will be honest, I can see some advantages to expanding that and making level one only being one day. We can discuss that later.

You make a damn good point about the reservations though, unfortunately, that would require an entirely different game mechanic, so I doubt that is going to happen.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Technically, Linux and MacOS isn't supported. That said, some have had no problems running it through Wine, but I would recommend using a VM. I would imagine that once MwM is completed and goes up on Steam, Faerin may add Mac support like he did with MotH, but Linux most likely won't be supported.
I am trying to run this in WINE - but cannot get the little pop-ups to show up. Basically any of the "hints" or anything that is an overlay does not show up. Not a potato PC - fully up to date Linux Mint 20.2, 32 core processor, 64GB RAM, 4GB video card AMD. Only Unity game not able to run under WINE. Other have other issues (clicking outside of the game kills the game, and a few other random items like that) but never had issues with the actual content not playing.

I have also tried to run in a Windows 10 VM - but cannot get the overlays to show up there either. So when you see your sister/mom doing something, all I see are the fog.

Just kinda annoying.

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
I am trying to run this in WINE - but cannot get the little pop-ups to show up. Basically any of the "hints" or anything that is an overlay does not show up. Not a potato PC - fully up to date Linux Mint 20.2, 32 core processor, 64GB RAM, 4GB video card AMD. Only Unity game not able to run under WINE. Other have other issues (clicking outside of the game kills the game, and a few other random items like that) but never had issues with the actual content not playing.

I have also tried to run in a Windows 10 VM - but cannot get the overlays to show up there either. So when you see your sister/mom doing something, all I see are the fog.

Just kinda annoying.
I'm no Linux guru, though I have dabled a bit here and there over the years with different distros, but I seem to recall needing corefonts installed in WINE to see the dialog (I'm not sure if that will help with the hint tooltips though). But that's the extent of my Linux knowledge unfortunately (unless of course it has anything to do with Reaver, wifite and the like.. lol).

As far as the VM goes, did you install DX 9 and the Visual C++ Redistributables?

EmperorGus

Oct 11, 2020
I mentioned this a few updates back but I still feel it true for some things that I feel should be added/adjusted, donno, just something that I feel would make the Grind side a little more rewarding than it is atm.

1: Overnighters :: Liturally Overnighters that give little cash, stay in rooms that are not really shown or perhaps the ones across the corridor or something, ideally, they would fill in during the days when you need that little influx of cash. They don't demand service like the VIPs or take up space in facilities, they are just there for trickle. But taking them on causes general stats to deteriate faster. They are messier, damage things, steal your towels and so forth.

2: VIP Starts :: Moreso. VIPs start as an Overnighter, though you can unlock them as VIPs when they leave and you kept things running well for example. Ideally, this would be their introduction to story side of their visits, so donno. But generally the idea is that you don't even know you have a VIP straight away but they do demand facility usage and such to give you an idea to focus on the new VIP appearance. Make an Impression in their daystay.

3: Satisfaction Builds Up :: Satisfaction is a built stat over their stay time, and not a hit or miss. Better service might fill more allowing for some lack of service or low quality instead. For example, quality service in one room gives 25% and another gives 20% and Lowered by 10% when they are not serviced in another and its like 5% when with low quality. when they leave, their Satisfaction of 40% could adjust their payment and such, but they do have a limit before they storm off such as if it stays below X% over a single day and it increases as they rank up in VIP levels.

4: Quality effects more :: Keeping your Hotel topped up in the Quality of things like Housekeeping and Maintainace does more than effect if a room is open or not, perhaps effecting how much % is built for the above mentioned effect.
1) I read that as 'the games economy (cash/fame/destiny) needs a balance pass'
And, yeah, I think it does too. But now is not the time for it. Not all of the mechanics are complete yet.
We can reasonably guess the new Banker is a late game 'money sink'.
The gnome (leprechaun?) is a merchant of some sort (I'm guessing Items will eventually moved to him). But do we pay him in cash or will we 'spend' Fame with him?
And, what's in the cave?
Adjusting cash flow needs to wait 'til all the economy mechanics are in.

2) Doesn't really fit with the 'Luxury Hotel' theme.
Yeah, Mystwood maybe unknown when it opens. But it is opening as a luxury hotel.

3) Higher pay for higher quality service... Not a bad idea. But...
It lends itself more to how much the guests pay as gratuity (tips), which doesn't (traditionally) go to the hotel.

4) Not a bad idea. Something to keep in mind when Faerin starts developing the 'Hard mode'.

... then again, you also cannot just storm off without paying...
Normal folks. No. We still have to pay when we get shitty service.
But spoiled rich pricks???
"This is outrageous! My soup is 2 degrees too cool! I'm not paying for this!"
"Yes, sir. Sorry, sir. We'll get it right on your next visit, sir."
And it goes that way because spoiled rich pricks have spoiled rich prick friends. And the key word there is RICH.
The businesses that cater to them have to put up with that shit so they'll come back and bring their rich prick friends, too.
Don't get me wrong, the business can make plenty of money off them. But... gawd... it's f-n exhausting catering to the spoiled shits.

... I can see some advantages to expanding that and making level one only being one day. We can discuss that later.
I'll go ahead and nix that one right now.
I'd already figured out that if you wait until the evening shift to do check ins, you're effectively subtracting a day of having to service the guests.
So if it's reduced to 1 night stays for level 1, it's as simple as:
Evening check in, morning check out.
You get paid without having to service them in any of the rooms.

Reactions: Cartageno

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
I'll go ahead and nix that one right now.
I'd already figured out that if you wait until the evening shift to do check ins, you're effectively subtracting a day of having to service the guests.
So if it's reduced to 1 night stays for level 1, it's as simple as:
Evening check in, morning check out.
You get paid without having to service them in any of the rooms.
While true, that would be random, and it would be like a real hotel. In most, you can't check in before noon, and you have to be out by 11am.

People are always going to try to find ways to game the system, and this would only for level one, so not a lot of harm done either way.

...Side note, I also suggested making the last level last a bit longer too, to make up for it.

Last edited:

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
I'm no Linux guru, though I have dabled a bit here and there over the years with different distros, but I seem to recall needing corefonts installed in WINE to see the dialog (I'm not sure if that will help with the hint tooltips though). But that's the extent of my Linux knowledge unfortunately (unless of course it has anything to do with Reaver, wifite and the like.. lol).

As far as the VM goes, did you install DX 9 and the Visual C++ Redistributables?
Yep - got the VM to work eventually - again. Havent played the new one (got 7.0.1 working). It was the Windows Defender stopping (ironically) the MSFT VS C++ distributable ... lol Turned off Windows Defender and got it to work. Slow as piss however for the animations, but I can now see them. Holding down CTRL helps, but not that much. (Like when a person checks out, the money continues to count for 2 minutes :)

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
Which Wine version do you use and what are your settings in Winecfg?

JiiEf

Aug 1, 2019

Just kinda annoying.
I had the same problem (along with movies crashing), installing corefonts and devenum from winetricks and the k-lite codec pack on wine has made the game work just fine for me on Mac OS Wine.

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Which Wine version do you use and what are your settings in Winecfg?
:~/Desktop/Storage/games/Mystwood Manor v0.7.0.9$ wine --version
wine-6.0.2
:~/Desktop/Storage/games/Mystwood Manor v0.7.0.9$

If you are talking about the application Winecfg, what ever the defaults are. I didn't see anything in /etc/ and the stuff in /home/.wine are all defaults. I have not changed anything, and it works for other games. If in wine - you can add the C++ redistrubtions - that might be an issue.

cold_arctus

Devoted Member
Sep 25, 2018
If in wine - you can add the C++ redistrubtions - that might be an issue.
Not required for Wine.
If you are talking about the application Winecfg, what ever the defaults are.
You need winetricks ->

Via winetricks you install corefonts and devenum (maybe quartz too) for your prefix.

Download K-Lite Code pack and install it for your wineprefix.

If you don't have a separate wineprefix everything will be installed in your default ~/.wine prefix.

On Linux it is required to set the Windows version to Windows 7 via Winecfg, to make animation work.

In Winecfg you can remove the marks for "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" and "Allow the window manager to control the windows".
1635932710804.png

Last edited:

mordred93

Jul 21, 2017
Not required for Wine.

You need winetricks ->

Via winetricks you install corefonts and devenum (maybe quartz too) for your prefix.

Download K-Lite Code pack and install it for your wineprefix.

If you don't have a separate wineprefix everything will be installed in your default ~/.wine prefix.

On Linux it is required to set the Windows version to Windows 7 via Winecfg, to make animation work.

In Winecfg you can remove the marks for "Allow the window manager to decorate the windows" and "Allow the window manager to control the windows".
View attachment 1482401
I will mess with this after work today .. on my lunch break now. Thanks for the detailed response. I have not used WINE much, especially for gaming. I mostly have switched over to native apps, and just use a VM for those things that I need to keep on platform (like turbotax).

4.00 star(s) 243 Votes