Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Haa ha hahaha, how the hell is there an image for absolutely everything!!? :LOL:
Truckload of likes, literally.:ROFLMAO:
I found them pretty cheap. They're FB leftovers, so I only had to pay 5 Quatloos instead of the usual 10. :ROFLMAO:

• Haha
Reactions: whichone

Grunts21

Jan 7, 2021
anyone know how to get halloween stuff i saw a few pages back how to get the new guest but nothing on the other stuff thanks

TheBakonBitz

Jan 20, 2018
1. similar system is not the same as "this exact set of colors". My point is that it requires us to memorize completely random color scheme.

2. what ARPGs use this exact color scheme?

3. its a bit ironic that you say I am trying to fix what isn't broken... since my suggestions were actually all using commonly in use systems that have proven themselves time and time again on other games. Just google "UR Card" and you will find tons of examples of cards denoting the [Ultra Rare] rarity level with the [UR] symbol at the corner. Which is a clear written symbol. certainly much clearer than a tiny colored dot in the corner.

(I would link it. but with how competent anti hotlinking has gotten it is too much work)
I don't mean to bring this discussion/argument back up if it's already been properly resolved, but I found it interesting enough especially with Faerin weighing in (which if you're reading this, thank you for a pair of fantastic games in both Mystwood Manor and Man of the House!) to try my hand at suitably addressing the original suggestion as well as answering the initial follow-up questions.

It seems you're more familiar with the rarity system(s) commonly employed for use with CCGs, TCGs, and other similar card games, which many card game fans know and love. However, Mystwood Manor instead utilizes the rarity system(s) commonly employed for use with MMORPGs, "looter shooters", and other video games featuring randomized loot drops. You could argue that since the rarity system in Mystwood Manor is used for cards, it would make sense to employ the card game rarity system. Instead, I would argue that since Mystwood Manor is ultimately a video game with a relatively minor card game component, it makes more sense to employ the video game rarity system because the audience as well as the developer(s) (being video game players, by definition) can be assumed to be more familiar with the video game system than the card game system, although I'm sure there's a fair bit of overlap. There's even precedent for full digital card game experiences like Hearthstone and Gwent to opt for the video game system in place of the card game system that you may otherwise expect.

In terms of the origin of the video game rarity system, searching even the vague term "grey green blue purple orange rarity" (the rarity system used by Mystwood Manor) into Google brings up multiple relevant discussions, including those with people asking where the system originated, why the specific colors are chosen, and why they are in the specific order they are presented in. So you aren't the only one to inquire about this system, although its become so ubiquitous with video gaming in the past 20+ years its been around that you are the first to bring it up in regards to this game in particular, as most of these discussions took place closer to when the system was first beginning to be popularized.

It appears that the Blizzard games Diablo II and World of Warcraft are credited with popularizing the general rarity system we commonly see today. The rarity system employed by the aforementioned games as well as a few other popular ones throughout the years (most of which I've played) are as follows:
  • Diablo II (2000): White --> Blue --> Yellow --> Gold | Green (Set) weak individually, strong when combined with other items in the same set
  • World of Warcraft (2004): Grey --> White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Orange --> Gold --> Blizzard Blue
  • Guild Wars (2005): White --> Blue --> Purple --> Gold | Green (Unique) and Red (PvP) considered not to be on the spectrum
  • Borderlands (2009): White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Yellow --> Orange --> Dark Orange --> Pearlescent
  • DC Universe Online (2011): White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Gold
  • Dead Island (2011): White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Gold
  • Star Wars: The Old Republic (2011): Grey --> White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple | Orange (Custom) has no stats until modded; mods follow the same color rarity system (inception!)
  • Darksiders II (2012): White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Gold
  • Hearthstone (2014): Free/No Color --> White --> Blue --> Purple --> Orange
  • Destiny (2014): White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Gold
  • Fortnite (2017): White --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Gold
  • Gwent (2018): White --> Blue --> Purple --> Orange
As you can see, there's remarkable overlap between a dozen games by different developers and in multiple genres over a twenty year period. There's more variation early on, which is to be expected, but from 2010 onwards the system has become remarkably stable. Are they all exactly the same? Of course not, but a general pattern is hard to miss: White/Grey --> Green --> Blue --> Purple --> Orange/Gold, the system used by Mystwood Manor. Common alterations/additions to the system include Grey being commonly used either in place of White, or if White exists, as the lowest rarity (especially in MMOs as "vendor trash" which are only meant to be sold) and a diamond-like color as the highest rarity above Yellow/Orange/Gold if another tier is needed. Speaking of Yellow/Orange/Gold, they are generally interchangeable if only one is featured in the tier system. If a color has to go to reduce the number of tiers, Green is the most likely candidate.

Why did they pick the colors they did? I can only guess, but like to rationalize it as the following: White is neutral and a good candidate for the starting tier. Gold is commonly associated with value and winning/coming in first place, so it would make sense to place it at the top. Purple has been associated with royalty and wealth throughout history and commonly accompanied Gold, so it would make sense to place it just below. Green and Blue are a bit trickier, but are distinct from the other three colors used so far and line up nicely with Purple to form their half of the rainbow (as long as you ignore Indigo, which let's be honest most people do). I suspect Red isn't used much as it can be quite a strain to read, especially over long periods of time.

That should be nearly everything. Thank you for coming to my TED talk. Hopefully someone gets at least something out of this post as I spent way too much time on it, which could have been spent improving my hotel instead! Oh well...

Tommy7358

Jul 25, 2022
Hi there, I sorry if this seems obvious but I can't seem to get the incest patch working. I downloaded the xml file and put it right in the root game directory as stated but in the introduction Julia and Amber are still showing thier names instead of mom and sister. Any idea on what to do? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've just actually read the introduction a bit, and the MC calls Julia and Amber 'mom' and 'sister'. So I tried it without the xml file and the dialogue did change. Looks like I've made much ado about nothing.

Last edited:

robertweed

Dec 5, 2021
Hi, started this game, after renovating the kitchen and talking to julia the screen went black,i know it is known issue for storymode and there is hotfix,still the problem continues, is there a fix.I am using parallels on mac to run this

Sycho

Conversation Conqueror
Respected User
May 9, 2018
Hi there, I sorry if this seems obvious but I can't seem to get the incest patch working. I downloaded the xml file and put it right in the root game directory as stated but in the introduction Julia and Amber are still showing thier names instead of mom and sister. Any idea on what to do? Thanks in advance.

Edit: I've just actually read the introduction a bit, and the MC calls Julia and Amber 'mom' and 'sister'. So does that mean the patch is working just fine and I'm just being an idiot?
Check Julia's and Amber's profiles in the staff screen. That will tell you if it's working or not.

Hi, started this game, after renovating the kitchen and talking to julia the screen went black,i know it is known issue for storymode and there is hotfix,still the problem continues, is there a fix.I am using parallels on mac to run this
This is the first report we've seen of this happening, but I have reported it to Faerin.

What Windows version are you playing on through Paralels; 10 or 11?

Tommy7358

Jul 25, 2022
You're welcome. Good to read that you got it working. :)
One last thing before I dive into the game. Does the 'Skip VIP Guest Interactions' setting give the option of skipping guest interactions or does it automatically skip them without giving an option? Thanks in advance.

larry5168

Engaged Member
May 19, 2018
One last thing before I dive into the game. Does the 'Skip VIP Guest Interactions' setting give the option of skipping guest interactions or does it automatically skip them without giving an option? Thanks in advance.
It will automatically skip them but bear in mind that if the girls' skill levels room upgrades etc aren't up to the standard required you can still get a fail

4.00 star(s) 243 Votes