Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Its not abandoned, especially when there's an update at the start of the month.

But yeah, the lack of communication is making the wait beyond tedious.

Felicityskye

Jan 8, 2018
True, but I believe that this has surpassed a reasonable time frame for updates. This is HS not DAZ, it's exponentially faster making one with Studio NEO.
Until we see the size of the update, we can't say for sure the wait is worth it or not. There has to be at least some context other than time elapsed between updates. For example, variables of how many quality renders a 2 person team can do a month, and if we assume they are a full time 2 person dev team. IMO If we end up getting a small or even a medium size update after waiting 6 or so months, that would be unreasonable. The amount of work done is not reasonable with the elapsed dev time. But if the update size reflects the amount of dev time elapsed, then it is reasonable even if we waited 6 or so months, because we actually got 6 or so months of full time work.

I have no issue with the turn over between updates as long as the update size reflects the expected work that should be done during that time.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
Until we see the size of the update, we can't say for sure the wait is worth it or not. There has to be at least some context other than time elapsed between updates. For example, variables of how many quality renders a 2 person team can do a month, and if we assume they are a full time 2 person dev team. IMO If we end up getting a small or even a medium size update after waiting 6 or so months, that would be unreasonable. The amount of work done is not reasonable with the elapsed dev time. But if the update size reflects the amount of dev time elapsed, then it is reasonable even if we waited 6 or so months, because we actually got 6 or so months of full time work.

I have no issue with the turn over between updates as long as the update size reflects the expected work that should be done during that time.
I can agree with that. I was just saying it has been too long a wait for my personal preference. We just have to wait and see and hope it's worth it. I don't want to seem cynical but if it's just 2h of new content for this amount of time I think I'll be un-watching this one.

Reaverer

Jul 20, 2017
I can agree with that. I was just saying it has been too long a wait for my personal preference. We just have to wait and see and hope it's worth it. I don't want to seem cynical but if it's just 2h of new content for this amount of time I think I'll be un-watching this one.
I think they are simply overdoing it. Apparently the devs have this weird mindset that makes them insist on having something for almost every main girl with every update. Now they decided to go for a big event with Nefari, so the entire thing gets colosaly delayed. I get that they don't want cliffhangers, so they won't release the event in parts, but why not make a couple of scenes with other characters, and keep releasing smaller updates, while working on the big thing? So long as they keep reminding people that the reason why updates are smaller is because there is this big event they are working on, their audience wouldn't mind. At the same time, updates (even small) that keep happening will keep the doomsayers away.

QQP_Purple

Dec 11, 2020
It's also keeping new people away. I mean, I've been looking at trying this thing for months before I eventually got my self to download it last week simply because I was held back by a nagging feeling that it's dead and that I best not get my hopes up. And I definitively won't be sending them money for it given the uncertainty.

Reactions: Reese286

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
At the same time, updates (even small) that keep happening will keep the doomsayers away.
I personally think that's better for everyone involved, the devs and players alike. It's much less work for them and the players have steady content releases to keep them around. Not every update needs to be game changing. On a side note I think the last 5 month may have been better spent on redoing the poor animations from the beginning or at least have one of them working on them. But again maybe it will be well spent who knows.

utterdrong

Dec 7, 2017
Smaller updates work better in terms of proportion too. If every extra month of development only adds another hour of content, then to most people it just won't feel like much is gained for the increased interval. You wait another whole 30 days for what ultimately still gets played through in one afternoon.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Just to play devil's advocate...

IMO, small updates are boring, and not worth the time to play, as soon as you get into them, they are over. In at least one example, they also work on the characters I want nothing to do with most of the time, ignoring any of the ones I want to see for months and months at a time, and when they do finally add something for someone I like, it's one tiny event that barely moves anything along, it's just annoying.

I would much rather wait a few more months, and get an update that has something for almost everyone, not like I don't have other things to do. It's more fun and you can enjoy it for a couple of days, rather than an hour or two... It's a fine line to walk, and no matter what you do, there will be people who are bitching and whining about it.

The size of the cast is also a factor, the larger the cast, the longer it takes to make.

The problem here isn't so much how long they take, but that there is not a lot of communication, or at least what there is, doesn't reach here (there might be more on their patreon or discord, but I don't have time follow them closely).

And as always, if you are a supporter, there are better places to make yourself heard, since they don't frequent here, and if not, well ...what we think probably doesn't really matter to them all that much. The ones who do, seem to like what they do, and they have a fair few, so it seems to be working pretty well for them.

dnno.gif

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Agreed on all counts.

When you're talking about a cast of nearly 2 dozen character, most of whom the player can engage in sexual activity with, you're going to run into one of two problems when updating.
- If you take the "Give everyone something" kind of update, well, that's somewhere on the order of 24 scenes, minimum for that update. And that's just one scene per character. The number will go up even higher if there's a character in focus.

Of course, the downside here is that, it takes time to make sure every character gets something. We're hitting six months from the last update and the only real news we've gotten is "This next update is going to be massive!". Well, people can only wait for so long before they get tired of waiting.

Then you have the other side
- Smaller, more regular updates. Focusing on one or two characters every update means that we get updates more often and maybe even tighter stories.

The problems with this approach comes from the fact that everything is working on a deadline, which is stressful enough. Now add the pressure of trying to keep up with fan demands/criticism. "Why aren't you working on X?" "Y's already got too much content!" "Give us more Z!"

Lets be honest, the developers are damned if they do, damned if they don't, no matter what they do.

The only thing I would ask of them is to talk to the fans more. Social media is one of the most powerful tools available for them, both in terms of talking to fans and for building up interest of their game. And they barely use it. I've done social media management for several companies over the years and just seeing what Jikei don't do, it's frustrating because that really is one of their best tools available to them and its just sitting there.

KnuckleDragger79

Sep 4, 2020
I think an especially glaring mistake is when they release the monthly art post and don't even mention progress updates or anything. Even an empty "yeah it's still happening please wait" lets people feel like they're being kept in the loop.
Have YOU made a game like this from scratch?

• Angry
Reactions: Boldano

Reaverer

Jul 20, 2017
Agreed on all counts.

When you're talking about a cast of nearly 2 dozen character, most of whom the player can engage in sexual activity with, you're going to run into one of two problems when updating.
- If you take the "Give everyone something" kind of update, well, that's somewhere on the order of 24 scenes, minimum for that update. And that's just one scene per character. The number will go up even higher if there's a character in focus.

Of course, the downside here is that, it takes time to make sure every character gets something. We're hitting six months from the last update and the only real news we've gotten is "This next update is going to be massive!". Well, people can only wait for so long before they get tired of waiting.

Then you have the other side
- Smaller, more regular updates. Focusing on one or two characters every update means that we get updates more often and maybe even tighter stories.

The problems with this approach comes from the fact that everything is working on a deadline, which is stressful enough. Now add the pressure of trying to keep up with fan demands/criticism. "Why aren't you working on X?" "Y's already got too much content!" "Give us more Z!"

Lets be honest, the developers are damned if they do, damned if they don't, no matter what they do.

The only thing I would ask of them is to talk to the fans more. Social media is one of the most powerful tools available for them, both in terms of talking to fans and for building up interest of their game. And they barely use it. I've done social media management for several companies over the years and just seeing what Jikei don't do, it's frustrating because that really is one of their best tools available to them and its just sitting there.
Honestly I see more damage in long wait than in small updates. You can easily organize your workflow to not let any girl get neglected for too long - a simple excel sheet can do that for you. Also, it's easier for someone to skip an update or two to get more content in one go, than it is for another to play a little bit of an update that wasn't released yet. Long time waits can lead people to stop caring about the project (I actually FORGOT this was a thing until I found the game while clearing some old junk from my drive). In the same vein, those who actually support the devs may feel ripped off (most probably will give them the benefit of the doubt, but any loses in this regard are likely to be permanent). Then you have the problem that not everyone cares about all the characters. Supposedly, this update takes so long because of a Nefari event. People who don't care about Nefari are already disappointed, before the update even comes out. Then you have the scary (to the devs anyway) possibility that the event will simply not resonate with the audience, and get a "meh" reaction or worse. Imagine waiting 6 months for an update that is mostly content you end up not really liking. With smaller updates you can at least course-correct much quicker.

Skeltom

Engaged Member
Oct 9, 2017
IMO, small updates are boring, and not worth the time to play, as soon as you get into them, they are over.
True but small is relative. You can release a sizable update every month that would most likely have something for everyone to some regard. But again there is a line I think, for an update to one game using studio neo to take almost 6 moths (and that's so far) it would have to be massive to justify the extra wait, again in my opinion.

Look at games like A House In The Rift and Corrupted Kingdoms that release pretty substantial updates much more frequently, I know CK uses Chara studio but it is used exactly the same way as Studio neo. Also to give more props to AHITR the animations are custom not vanilla pre made animations. From what I have read about the update a lot of work went into side girls for the Nef trip which doesn't even add to the main plot progression. I think they should stick to the girls they already have before they start playing somewhere else.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Honestly I see more damage in long wait than in small updates. You can easily organize your workflow to not let any girl get neglected for too long - a simple excel sheet can do that for you. Also, it's easier for someone to skip an update or two to get more content in one go, than it is for another to play a little bit of an update that wasn't released yet. Long time waits can lead people to stop caring about the project (I actually FORGOT this was a thing until I found the game while clearing some old junk from my drive). In the same vein, those who actually support the devs may feel ripped off (most probably will give them the benefit of the doubt, but any loses in this regard are likely to be permanent). Then you have the problem that not everyone cares about all the characters. Supposedly, this update takes so long because of a Nefari event. People who don't care about Nefari are already disappointed, before the update even comes out. Then you have the scary (to the devs anyway) possibility that the event will simply not resonate with the audience, and get a "meh" reaction or worse. Imagine waiting 6 months for an update that is mostly content you end up not really liking. With smaller updates you can at least course-correct much quicker.
This doesn't happen in reality though...

This problem only gets larger with the smaller updates, as the entire update will be focused that character you don't like, followed by another, and another, and another... while the ones you do continue to get ignored.

Reactions: Evil13

Evil13

Engaged Member
Jun 4, 2019
Exactly. Looks at games like A House In the Rift or Love & Sex: Second Base. Both games that the approach of smaller, regular updates, usually with the main focus of each update on one or two girls. And they still get flak for the fact that some girls aren't getting an update there and then.

Honestly, developers can't win.

TheDevian

Svengali Productions
Game Developer
Mar 8, 2018
Exactly. Looks at games like A House In the Rift or Love & Sex: Second Base. Both games that the approach of smaller, regular updates, usually with the main focus of each update on one or two girls. And they still get flak for the fact that some girls aren't getting an update there and then.

Honestly, developers can't win.
Yeah, usually in that route, they let the supporters vote, and then 25-50% of them are deciding what everyone else gets to see. At least in this way, even if the episode is focused on one character you don't like, there will still be something for you to enjoy.

Cryptist

Aug 20, 2020
I was a supporter, until they quit posting updates. If all this delay was for a major Nefari event, I won't be a supporter again soon. She was my least favorite character, by a considerable margin. I liked the other characters a lot.

4.50 star(s) 189 Votes