VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
View attachment 1420221

Mythos Friday Update - September 24th, 2021 (Public Post)

Grats with the website, looks nice:). I seam to remember that you mentioned wanting to possibly make one a while back, so atleast something nice came out of this Parteon hiccup. Really looking forward to a new round of ''Ask the Cast'', hoping it will be as hillariously fun as the last one:D. The slideshow of reviews at the bottom of the main page was a nice touch.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
100patsdn.png

100 Patreon supporters!

We actually hit this goal a few days ago so now we're up to 123, but holy crap! I guess Chapter Two went over better than I'd hoped for!

Thank you all for your continued support! The Friday Update will be up tomorrow, as usual, with a bit of a road map for Chapter Three and other various stuffs.

Pudthumper

Nov 20, 2017

Side note, I also hit 1500 followers on Twitter!!! Thank you to everyone who's been spreading the word of Mythos!
Interesting chapter titles. Now I've got Marilyn Manson knocking around my brain though. Could be worse, I suppose. At least it isn't the Ghost Busters song that wormed its way into my head. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: Nine of Swords

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

Side note, I also hit 1500 followers on Twitter!!! Thank you to everyone who's been spreading the word of Mythos!
Those progress meters was a neat idea. Do we get the new side images with Chapter Three or before?
My headcannon is that the scene ''Fuck the Police'' involves lewding Mara.

At least it isn't the Ghost Busters song that wormed its way into my head. ;)
Damn it now i have it on repeat i my head:ROFLMAO:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Do we get the new side images with Chapter Three or before?
I have a test version up that some of my Discord people played through, and there's a few bugs in it (from where I reference an expression for a character that I forgot to make). Once I get all that sorted, I'll be putting it up for public download.

My headcannon is that the scene ''Fuck the Police'' involves lewding Mara.
:devilish:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Ain't no big thang, but all versions have been updated to 2.0.4.

All this does is add the new side images, which should be bug-free, now. But you know how that goes.

The side images are all it adds, no new content. Only download this if you care about the expressions next to the text box.

Last edited:

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017

Nine’s Dev Diary 1 – Go With the Flow

Did you want to know more about how I plan out the game, and what's coming in the future? Then maybe take a look at the first in my series of "Dev Diary" posts, where I discuss the process of making Mythos!

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

Nine’s Dev Diary 1 – Go With the Flow

Did you want to know more about how I plan out the game, and what's coming in the future? Then maybe take a look at the first in my series of "Dev Diary" posts, where I discuss the process of making Mythos!

This was an interesting read, kind of nice to get a tiny look at what goes on behind the scenes.
Eagerly looking forward to lewding Mara and B, especially B after she weaseld out of my advances last chapter with her fourth wall breaking powers:LOL:. And who is this new character in the header?:unsure:

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
That's not a new character. :) That's a digital representation of Nine (me) -- you can see them on the "About" page of my site, too!
Had a inkling that it may have been you, considering the topic of the post. Had a quick look at the about section and i kind felt bad for your ''digital'' self as they got progressivly more deflated the further down the page i went, don't be to hard on your self your doing a fantastic job:D

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Absolutely fantastic game. I've been bingeing games on the site for a bit recently (including the ones everyone recommends as the best ever), and this is quite possibly one of the best I've found here. Or pretty much anywhere in the AVN genre. Part of that is almost certainly my own biases and preferences, but I'm getting more enjoyment out of it than I have most actual AAA game releases lately.

Also, I absolutely loved the werewolf dialogue option, and I picked it every single time it came up. And then yelped with joy during the conversation with Mara where you basically go "Ehh, screw it, I'm going to infodump the entire supernatural world in your lap right now", and she has the same reply.

For a bit of insight into how Mythos came about -- this was originally a story I'd outlined for a novel I was going to write.
Out of curiosity, was it a story inspired by White Wolf? Because almost every plot point introduced was pinging hard off my World of Darkness radar. Like, the Convocation and the Bureau feel like the Traditions and Technocracy (and the Convocation's lair feels like a textbook Chantry + Cabal), the Cult of the Void screams Nephandi, and your crack team of magical girls is basically a Virtual Adept, a Nunnehi Changeling (Rain's even referred to as a Nunnehi at one point), a Get of Fenris, and a Sphinx (Mummy? A Bygone?). Also, depending on how things go we might be able to throw Lisa in as a ghost (vis-a-vis the dream), and maybe our officer friend counts as a Hunter?

Plus, I'm half waiting for the mysterious vampire girl at the party to eventually join our harem team to fill the vampire quota.

I mean, sure, it could just be inspired by the "modern urban horror" genre in general, or something specific like the Dresden Files, but a lot of those were directly inspired by White Wolf, too. But it almost feels like too much matches up perfectly for it to just be a coincidence.

In fact, about half the main characters look like the exact sort of characters some of my old friends would have made for a World of Darkness game. You weren't active on any "by Night" sites online about 20 years ago, were you? :p

I have to say, I'm honestly glad that Tara seems to be so well-received; one of my big worries was that she, in particular, would be disliked.
So far she's pretty much the only one I even remotely thought about actively romancing. While I wasn't 100% sold on the model/hairstyle, her being the childhood friend who's had a crush for years and being open about it led me to pick the "Maybe we can be casual about this" option to start some sort of relationship with her. Then I reassured her later when it became a question again. My MC is also feeling moderately protective of her at the moment.

Granted, I did go for the sex magic ritual with Rain (I thought about choosing the no-sex/kissing option, but then decided the MC really wanted to solve this case so would opt for the more powerful ritual with the better chance of succeeding), and I've been flirting outrageously with a certain police officer of recent acquaintance (at the moment more as a joke than fully serious), but I've been passing up other opportunities (let B sleep on the couch and told Sophia I just wanted to be friends), and I'll probably stick to that relative pattern (like turning Rain down if the offer comes up later and it's not directly magically connected to solving the case).

(Which reminds me - I got a relatively minor bug (that may not be a bug, just unimplemented future stuff) in the recap at the end, because it mentions how Sophia and I "explored each other's bodies", when we didn't. I just picked the first minor flirt-ish option to verify that she actually WAS interested in me, and then friend-zoned her hard. No clue if that's a bug, or just something that will work properly when the next chapter gets added.)

I will say, though, I hope there's no ending down the line where it turns out which LIs we've romanced and which ones we haven't all factor into some endgame boss confrontation where celibacy gets us killed/dooms the world/results in a downer ending. Ideally, even celibate players should be able to get the best ending, while everyone else should feel free to pick and choose without having to worry about game mechanics shackling them to "optimal" romances.

I'm finding the overall story to be way more interesting/engaging than the romances anyway, for the most part. I could easily play this game if there was no up-front sex scenes at all.

I honestly wish I had some way of knowing how many people chose to not pet the cat, but there's no way to do that without the game sending me information and that'd look awful! I'm just going to assume everyone pet her.
I'm very much a dog person in real life, so I'd totally have passed that cat by without a second glance.

...except this is the Internet, and I know how most Internet-savvy people feel about cats. So I petted the fuck out of that cat on the off chance that it was the secret variable that would lock me out of the best ending of the game because of course you needed to pet the cat for the happily ever after.

Though to be fair, even the moment it showed up I was half-convinced that it was the secret mastermind behind everything anyway. A suspicion not dispelled when it showed up at my house with the invitation. So you obviously want to stay on Mr. Mistoffelees's good side...

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
So in the end she did move on with someone else......that made me feel kind of disappointed.....
When you're talking to Rain, when you pick the "Did she ever move on?" option, Rain says she's pretty sure she didn't. Basically, she loved you the whole time, from the moment you broke up to the moment she died. And it seems pretty clear the only reason she broke up with you was to protect you.

But Rain also mentions that she did start dating again. With the implication that either she was trying to move on and was failing (because she still loved you), was trying to move on and just wound up in love with two people instead of one, or wasn't really in love with the person she was with at all (maybe she had an ulterior motive, and was trying to date a Bureau agent to help protect her from whatever it was that eventually killed her).

Considering how much she apparently talked to EVERYONE about you (including her new girlfriend!), it's pretty clear she never stopped being hung up on you. Especially since Rain's comment about "You still have a piece of her soul in you" is tied to the fact that the love between you never fully died (though maybe you have to pick the options where you admit you're still hung up on her to get those responses? That was the route I went).

Personally, I'm kind of hoping for a moment of closure eventually. I doubt we're going full happy ending where she gets magick'd back to life in the end, but it would be kind of bittersweet if we eventually find/free her soul/spirit somehow and get one last chance to talk to her in dreams/visions/etc and tell her we still love her/forgive her for leaving us (or, you know, to yell at her how stupid she was for breaking up with us and telling her we're totally over her now that we've got a magical harem - there's always gotta be options).

Reactions: afterlights
4.80 star(s) 63 Votes