VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

paradroid

Sep 19, 2020
[QUOTE="ClockworkGnome]

I mean, sure, it could just be inspired by the "modern urban horror" genre in general, or something specific like the Dresden Files,
[/QUOTE]
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Oh, wow! I didn't expect this when I got off work! :love:

Absolutely fantastic game. I've been bingeing games on the site for a bit recently (including the ones everyone recommends as the best ever), and this is quite possibly one of the best I've found here. Or pretty much anywhere in the AVN genre. Part of that is almost certainly my own biases and preferences, but I'm getting more enjoyment out of it than I have most actual AAA game releases lately.
Holy crap, that's some high praise! Thank you so much!

Also, I absolutely loved the werewolf dialogue option, and I picked it every single time it came up. And then yelped with joy during the conversation with Mara where you basically go "Ehh, screw it, I'm going to infodump the entire supernatural world in your lap right now", and she has the same reply.
Of course she had the same reply! Werewolves don't exist, after all...

Out of curiosity, was it a story inspired by White Wolf? Because almost every plot point introduced was pinging hard off my World of Darkness radar. Like, the Convocation and the Bureau feel like the Traditions and Technocracy (and the Convocation's lair feels like a textbook Chantry + Cabal), the Cult of the Void screams Nephandi, and your crack team of magical girls is basically a Virtual Adept, a Nunnehi Changeling (Rain's even referred to as a Nunnehi at one point), a Get of Fenris, and a Sphinx (Mummy? A Bygone?). Also, depending on how things go we might be able to throw Lisa in as a ghost (vis-a-vis the dream), and maybe our officer friend counts as a Hunter?

Plus, I'm half waiting for the mysterious vampire girl at the party to eventually join our harem team to fill the vampire quota.
The World of Darkness is indeed one inspiration, as well as The Dresden Files (thus why I chose this particular narration style). Mage: the Ascension is one of my favourite RPGs of all time, and I think it handles magic better than any other RPG I've ever played. Torg's spell system was pretty close, though way more convoluted.

If I had to draw an analogue to the Convocation, I'd say they're more akin to the Order of Hermes than the Traditions as a whole -- but there'll be a lot more about them in future Books. As for the Bureau and the Technocracy... yeah, definitely. There's some major differences, but the Bureau is absolutely just me putting in a version of the Technocracy. They weren't in my original novel idea, but the original novel also had a main character that was asexual, so there's already a lot of deviation from the source!

As for your guesses about the others, I just have to say "wait and see." One big part of Mythos is how I'm attempting to subvert a lot of common modern fantasy tropes. Only hints of that have been dropped, so far -- but once we get further into the lore you'll see some glaring differences.

In fact, about half the main characters look like the exact sort of characters some of my old friends would have made for a World of Darkness game. You weren't active on any "by Night" sites online about 20 years ago, were you? :p
Do you mean all those DigiChat New Bremen clones? I may or may not have been part of a few of them. ;) Though I don't look back on that time very fondly; World of Darkness fans can be so vehement about what they perceive as the "right way" to do things, frowning on any idea that deviates from their norms. I could go on a whole rant about that, but I won't! I'm making a game now where I can create the norms.

... then probably break them, anyway.

So far she's pretty much the only one I even remotely thought about actively romancing. While I wasn't 100% sold on the model/hairstyle
Tara was the first model I ever made in Daz, and once I started work on the actual game I came to seriously regret the hair style I picked for her. Having her cuddle is a nightmare for clipping issues, and it's an older hair that doesn't have nearly enough posing options.

However, after Chapter One, I was trying to find a reason for her to change her hair, but... I dunno, I think Tara's hair has become too much of her character for me to change. No other option looked like "Tara".

(Which reminds me - I got a relatively minor bug (that may not be a bug, just unimplemented future stuff) in the recap at the end, because it mentions how Sophia and I "explored each other's bodies", when we didn't. I just picked the first minor flirt-ish option to verify that she actually WAS interested in me, and then friend-zoned her hard. No clue if that's a bug, or just something that will work properly when the next chapter gets added.)
That is absolutely a bug, thank you! I'll fix that. Nobody else has brought it up until now -- likely because they either wanted to get it on with Sophia or rejected her outright from the start.

I will say, though, I hope there's no ending down the line where it turns out which LIs we've romanced and which ones we haven't all factor into some endgame boss confrontation where celibacy gets us killed/dooms the world/results in a downer ending. Ideally, even celibate players should be able to get the best ending, while everyone else should feel free to pick and choose without having to worry about game mechanics shackling them to "optimal" romances.

I'm finding the overall story to be way more interesting/engaging than the romances anyway, for the most part. I could easily play this game if there was no up-front sex scenes at all.
I do my best to assure everyone that the "relationship" segment of the game and the "mystery" segment of the game are entirely separate from one another. I wanted to make Mythos in such a way that you could actually play as an asexual character (as the novel was written) and still have the same major plot points. Who you decide to hook up with is basically players picking who their "ships" are. The sex is just a bonus (or perhaps my sneaky way of getting more people to read my murder mystery...).

Though to be fair, even the moment it showed up I was half-convinced that it was the secret mastermind behind everything anyway. A suspicion not dispelled when it showed up at my house with the invitation. So you obviously want to stay on Mr. Mistoffelees's good side...
What ever do you mean? There's no way that could be the same cat, right? :devilish:

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Of course she had the same reply! Werewolves don't exist, after all...
And now I'm just waiting until we get to the very end of the story, and a werewolf shows up, and MC's like "SEE?! I TOLD YOU GUYS!" Smash-cut to credits.

If I had to draw an analogue to the Convocation, I'd say they're more akin to the Order of Hermes than the Traditions as a whole -- but there'll be a lot more about them in future Books.
Heh. I can see that - a LOT of the vibe I got out of that scene (especially the sigil on the wall showing how the different groups within the Convocation interact) was from the Doissetep write-up in the Book of Chantries (right down to the Cabal politics charts). Up to and including Porthos as the senile head mage in charge.

But that could also just be because I love the Order so much. They're basically my #1 Trad.

As for your guesses about the others, I just have to say "wait and see." One big part of Mythos is how I'm attempting to subvert a lot of common modern fantasy tropes. Only hints of that have been dropped, so far -- but once we get further into the lore you'll see some glaring differences.
Oh, I'm definitely interested to see how things go - whether expectations are subverted, inverted, deconstructed, reconstructed, or interpreted in pretty much any given way.

Not that playing archetypes and expectations straight is necessarily a bad thing either. Like they said in Mage: The Ascension (also one of my favorite RPGs ever) - "Creativity is hiding your sources." Interesting and exciting stories rarely come from purely, wholely original ideas as much as they come from combining ideas/inspiration from different sources and then putting a unique spin on it. Even the most stereotypical cliches can result in entertaining stories if told well.

Do you mean all those DigiChat New Bremen clones? I may or may not have been part of a few of them. ;)
Was thinking more of the SEaChat sites - the ones that sort of started with Seattle by Night and then spun off from there (with Ashland and St.Louis as the second wave, Charleston and Twin Cities after that, and San Francisco and Chicago as the tail-end of the wave before that style of RP kind of died off).

If you ever played on St.Louis or Charleston, there's a very high chance that we knew/knew of each other at some point. I pretty much lived on those sites for a while. :D

I dunno, I think Tara's hair has become too much of her character for me to change. No other option looked like "Tara".
Well, there's always the scene where she puts it up. I thought that look was pretty cute.

Though with the viking/valkyrie/nordic overtones, she's just begging to have at least one scene with a long braid in the back. Or braided pigtails. :LOL:

That is absolutely a bug, thank you! I'll fix that. Nobody else has brought it up until now -- likely because they either wanted to get it on with Sophia or rejected her outright from the start.
Clearly, no one else was tsundere enough. It's not like I like you or anything, Sophia senpai!

But yeah, I played that like the MC was sort of "Wait, did I misinterpret what I think you just said?", so I went with the "Take the bait and show interest" option, then followed up with the "Let's just stay how we are for now" follow up, and she was cool with it. So no sexy-times occurred.

Though that raises an interesting question. If you turn down the obvious trigger points (like that scene for Sophia, flirting with B, agreeing to try and be a thing with Tara, etc), would that lead to them just defaulting to the "friend" path and never bringing it up again? Or will there be multiple opportunities to flirt or change your relationship with various characters? Because realistically people don't just have "THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY MOMENT I'M WILLING TO ACCEPT YOUR AFFECTION" moments, and it should be possible to opt into (or even out of) romances later on once you know/like characters better (or just having a character who is really into you be like "I know you said no before, but maybe now you'll say yes? Please?")... but that can obviously be awkward to code/keep track of the branching narratives, so I can see why it might not be the best design option for a game (which is why even BioWare games tend to have the "Once you turn me down we shall never speak of relationships again" design philosophy for romances).

I do like that different characters seem to have different styles of relationship. One might aggressively pursue you, another might be more hard-to-get and have to be chased, another might just be completely oblivious to the fact that you're interested, etc. It always makes characters feel more like real people than just every character requiring you to initiate in exactly the same way.

What ever do you mean? There's no way that could be the same cat, right? :devilish:
Suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuure.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
But that could also just be because I love the Order so much. They're basically my #1 Trad.
I'm all about the Etherites, myself... which is sadly something I won't get to show a lot of in Book One, but I've already started setting up my version of "mad science" for future Mythos games with a few throwaway lines and background items in Book One (even in these first two chapters!).

Not that playing archetypes and expectations straight is necessarily a bad thing either. Like they said in Mage: The Ascension (also one of my favorite RPGs ever) - "Creativity is hiding your sources." Interesting and exciting stories rarely come from purely, wholely original ideas as much as they come from combining ideas/inspiration from different sources and then putting a unique spin on it. Even the most stereotypical cliches can result in entertaining stories if told well.
Exactly that! I'm keeping enough the same that people will feel familiar with things, but making big enough changes so that it won't feel just like the standard folklore.

Was thinking more of the SEaChat sites - the ones that sort of started with Seattle by Night and then spun off from there (with Ashland and St.Louis as the second wave, Charleston and Twin Cities after that, and San Francisco and Chicago as the tail-end of the wave before that style of RP kind of died off).

If you ever played on St.Louis or Charleston, there's a very high chance that we knew/knew of each other at some point. I pretty much lived on those sites for a while. :D
Ahhhh! Unfortunately, those I never took part in. That's probably for the best, though -- I was a terrible person back then.

Well, there's always the scene where she puts it up. I thought that look was pretty cute.

Though with the viking/valkyrie/nordic overtones, she's just begging to have at least one scene with a long braid in the back. Or braided pigtails. :LOL:
The "hair up" scene was ostensibly because she was lounging around her house and it's summertime -- at that point, she already knows where the MC stands with her, romantically, so she's either decided to not look good for them every time because they turned her down, or because they already got her.

There will be a part coming up where she takes on yet another hairstyle (she's up to three, already!), and I'm using that as a sort of "testing audience" to see if it should be a permanent switch or not.

Though that raises an interesting question. If you turn down the obvious trigger points (like that scene for Sophia, flirting with B, agreeing to try and be a thing with Tara, etc), would that lead to them just defaulting to the "friend" path and never bringing it up again? Or will there be multiple opportunities to flirt or change your relationship with various characters? Because realistically people don't just have "THIS IS THE ONE AND ONLY MOMENT I'M WILLING TO ACCEPT YOUR AFFECTION" moments, and it should be possible to opt into (or even out of) romances later on once you know/like characters better (or just having a character who is really into you be like "I know you said no before, but maybe now you'll say yes? Please?")... but that can obviously be awkward to code/keep track of the branching narratives, so I can see why it might not be the best design option for a game (which is why even BioWare games tend to have the "Once you turn me down we shall never speak of relationships again" design philosophy for romances).
I'm honestly still weighing my options, here. On one hand, you're right -- it's not realistic that you get one shot. Kylie could very well be saying "we're trying to solve a murder, here -- I don't have time for this!" On the other... that does make the coding exponentially more complicated with every possible "second chance" I wanted. For example, if there's a second chance with Tara later on, instead of it just being a binary situation (you're either with her already or not) it would have to play a different set of lines based on if you rejected her in Chapter One, or broke up with her in Chapter Two.

... just talking it out like that is making me lean toward "no second chances". But after Book One, plenty of things can change with the characters that survive to the end.

Oops, what'd I just say?

I do like that different characters seem to have different styles of relationship. One might aggressively pursue you, another might be more hard-to-get and have to be chased, another might just be completely oblivious to the fact that you're interested, etc. It always makes characters feel more like real people than just every character requiring you to initiate in exactly the same way.
This was something I definitely decided going in. Tara has her confession, whereas Sophia doesn't come forward right out -- I wanted the player to feel like they could initiate or not. This also corresponds to different "kinks" the characters may develop later on (though in Sophia's case it seems strangely incongruous to her bedroom personality, I think it fit her regular demeanor better).

In that same vein, I also try to avoid telling the players who is attractive until they actually show some interest. The Gala Scene is different: The girls are meant to look their absolute best there, and I wanted to convey that even if I couldn't pull it off with my renders. That's mostly a personal peeve of mine, though; I hate playing games and the internal narration tells you how sexy a character is, while I'm glaring at my screen saying "no, they most certainly are not."

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
But after Book One, plenty of things can change with the characters that survive to the end.

Oops, what'd I just say?
:eek:
I would think that the murderer is one that don't make it, but who else(I have some theories, so we will see how it plays out):unsure:

The girls are meant to look their absolute best there, and I wanted to convey that even if I couldn't pull it off with my renders.
The last part of this is obviusly a lie, as you absolutley pulled it of:love:

Aug 15, 2021
Prediction: The killer is not one of the LIs at all. I think to anyone familiar with the storytelling tropes that the Dev has been leaning on there is only one likely source. You meet them at a scene where one person is a jerk and the other one is nice. No, not the jerk, as I think that would be too obvious and meant as a red herring.

Deliberately kept vague so as not to spoil it for any new players. If you've played through to this point, you should know exactly who I am talking about.

Reactions: AelphysTerra

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
There will be a part coming up where she takes on yet another hairstyle (she's up to three, already!), and I'm using that as a sort of "testing audience" to see if it should be a permanent switch or not.
Maybe that can become her character quirk. She can never quite decide how she wants her hair and every couple chapters shows up with a new look. :)

It could even tie into her interest in the MC - if you're together with her she's trying different styles because she's trying to find one that appeals to you, and if you're not together she's sort of unconsciously trying to change her look in the hope of finding one that can win you over. Or maybe just being part of events is slowly changing how she sees herself, and thus how she chooses to represent herself to the world.

Though it might be hard to explain how she's finding time to constantly restyle in the middle of a murder mystery/magical crisis. :D

Just talking it out like that is making me lean toward "no second chances".
Can definitely see it. Like I said, while it might be nice for the player to have multiple jumping on points, it definitely makes a LOT more work for you as the writer/coder, and would slow down the pace of story development as you wind up having to juggle multiple branches (or find ways to integrate them smoothly).

About the only one I'd say might need a more obvious second choice might be B. It might suck for people interested in her to miss out on any chance to get together because they didn't like/trust her enough to flirt with her when she shows up at the apartment, and offered to let her sleep on the couch. Maybe to a lesser extent Mara, if the player's first instinct wasn't to flirt with her at the moment of nearly being arrested. (Though to be fair, neither of those feel "locked in" at this point anyway.) The rest so far sort of feel like there's sufficient warning for the player to know that a point of no return sort of choice is happening.

But after Book One, plenty of things can change with the characters that survive to the end.

Oops, what'd I just say?
Hey, it's already obvious that all the LIs are going to die. Don't think I didn't notice the glowing gravestones in the dream, with their oddly appropriate color schemes and symbols...

;)

But this raises another interesting question (though one you may not want to answer, if it potentially leads to spoilers). In future books, is the intent to have a different main character for each (and with characters who appear in one book potentially showing up as cameos in others and vice-versa), or does the MC's Beacon-hood mean they're going to be at the center of more weirdness after this particular crisis is solved? I could see it working either way (though keeping a running story with the same MC across multiple books would definitely require more variable juggling and effort, while starting fresh with a new MC would allow for a lot more freedom/ease of writing).

(Assuming, of course, we don't die/sacrfice ourselves in the ending of this one. Not gonna lie, I could easily see an ending where we die and join Lisa in the afterlife as an option in the end. Especially for players who may have played the game with a "I am still in love with my Lost Lenore and will never love anyone again the way I loved her" mindset, since there are a number of dialogue options already that could easily support that sort of mentality... most of which I've been picking. :D )

In that same vein, I also try to avoid telling the players who is attractive until they actually show some interest.

That's mostly a personal peeve of mine, though; I hate playing games and the internal narration tells you how sexy a character is, while I'm glaring at my screen saying "no, they most certainly are not."
Yeah, this is absolutely a thing, and it's awesome that you're aware of it and making the effort.

There are definitely other games that try to allow for player choice (so you can be straight, gay, bi, etc) but still describe how hunky/dreamy a particular LI is when you first meet them, or narrate how you're getting the tingles just looking at them. It can be jarring if you're leaning into a full lesbian route and the game is telling you that your first kiss was with a dude or that you just want to swoon into the dreamy dude's arms the moment you first meet him (though kissing guys in the backstory can at least be dismissed a bit as "I was young, experimenting, and didn't really know who I was or what I wanted yet", because that's pretty common both in stories and real life). I've played a few games lately that trip over that hurdle.

It's definitely more obvious in games with lesbian routes/female protagonists and male LIs I think, but you still see it to some degree in games with male protagonists and female LIs as well.

I think the problem is, when the writer wants to tell a very specific story, it can be hard to reconcile that with having to provide multiple options for every possible alternative. Especially when you're only including the alternative paths more as an afterthought (like adding a lesbian MC to a game designed to support a male MC, or vice-versa). Short of having a question at the very beginning of the game asking "Is your MC straight/gay/bi/ace/etc?", and then being willing to use that flag constantly when describing backstory or new characters (and having multiple descriptions for each instance), it probably IS best to just try and present as neutral a description as possible and allow the player to decide for themselves who they're interested in and who they're not (and then you can get more descriptive once they've already shown clear interest).

Another trend I've noticed with at least a few female MC games with lesbian routes is where early on the game just keeps telling you how cute guys are or how attracted to them you are, with a bit of "I've never found women attractive before!" hand-wringing once you start picking lesbian options, until you've picked enough lesbian options for the narration to sort of switch to "Man, women are awesome!" But while that might be a valid interpretation of someone discovering their sexuality for the first time, some players might prefer to play with the perspective of "I've known what I like since before puberty and dude's aren't on the list!" If it's not justified by the narrative (ie, a game which is literally ABOUT someone discovering their sexuality for the first time), it's probably a pitfall that should just be avoided by being careful about how things are narrated, or just giving a dialogue choice flag for whether or not you've been with someone before.

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Prediction: The killer is not one of the LIs at all. I think to anyone familiar with the storytelling tropes that the Dev has been leaning on there is only one likely source. You meet them at a scene where one person is a jerk and the other one is nice. No, not the jerk, as I think that would be too obvious and meant as a red herring.
I can easily see it, though I might go farther and say the killer isn't necessarily someone we've even seen yet at all.

We're still pretty blatantly in the "introductions/world building" part of the story. It's more than possible that the primary antagonist doesn't show up until the second act (somewhere in chapter 3 or 4?).

Though the most obvious suspect is the Waitress. That's why our choice of food order is so important to the climax of the story.

Second most obvious suspect? Becki (with an i). She's the most sinister character of all right now.

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
But this raises another interesting question (though one you may not want to answer, if it potentially leads to spoilers). In future books, is the intent to have a different main character for each (and with characters who appear in one book potentially showing up as cameos in others and vice-versa), or does the MC's Beacon-hood mean they're going to be at the center of more weirdness after this particular crisis is solved? I could see it working either way (though keeping a running story with the same MC across multiple books would definitely require more variable juggling and effort, while starting fresh with a new MC would allow for a lot more freedom/ease of writing).
This is actually largely going to depend on player reactions. I plan to have some polls about this as we wrap up Book One (which should be no longer than 7 chapters, if that). For one thing, I'm intentionally not doing a too much worldbuilding in Book One. That would lead to a lot of needless exposition that would detract from the task at hand. That's why you only hear about two of the Convocation Pillars, very little about the Vampire structure, almost nothing about the Fae, and... whatever it is B and Sophia may be.

Thus, I plan to ask "what aspect would you like to explore more of?" Book Two could be many things! Delving into the inner workings of the Convocation, navigating the Fae social structure, dealing more with the Bureau, hunting non-existent werewolves, etc.

Another idea I had (which could be combined with the above) are prequels. However, for this to work, there'd have to be enough people willing to play a female MC game. My main idea in this vein was you getting to play Lisa for the time between her breakup with Ky and her death (not the entire two year stretch, just the highlights). Maybe playing as Rain to find out why she became "The Disgraced Nunnehi". Monica joining the Bureau, even! I have a ton of ideas, basically.

Plus, the MC isn't the only Beacon in Mythos...

(Assuming, of course, we don't die/sacrfice ourselves in the ending of this one. Not gonna lie, I could easily see an ending where we die and join Lisa in the afterlife as an option in the end. Especially for players who may have played the game with a "I am still in love with my Lost Lenore and will never love anyone again the way I loved her" mindset, since there are a number of dialogue options already that could easily support that sort of mentality... most of which I've been picking. :D )
I really don't want to kill off the MC. Even if it were a heroic sacrifice or a "love eternal" sort of thing, that's just a bit darker than I'm wanting to go. One way I described this game to my non-porn gaming friends is "like the World of Darkness, without the darkness." (Though I usually add "and a bunch of lesbians" to that.) Modern Fantasy tends to lean real heavy on the gloom, and I'm just not about that life (despite the game drawing such obvious inspirations from World of Darkness and Dresden Files).

It can be jarring if you're leaning into a full lesbian route and the game is telling you that your first kiss was with a dude or that you just want to swoon into the dreamy dude's arms the moment you first meet him (though kissing guys in the backstory can at least be dismissed a bit as "I was young, experimenting, and didn't really know who I was or what I wanted yet", because that's pretty common both in stories and real life). I've played a few games lately that trip over that hurdle.
Yeah, it's a hurdle I didn't want to trip over, myself -- thus the only relationship ever explicitly stated before the start of the game for the MC is Lisa. All the love interests are female, at any rate, so the MC's preferences before Mythos are largely irrelevant (and would have been in their early high school days, anyway).

Another trend I've noticed with at least a few female MC games with lesbian routes is where early on the game just keeps telling you how cute guys are or how attracted to them you are, with a bit of "I've never found women attractive before!" hand-wringing once you start picking lesbian options, until you've picked enough lesbian options for the narration to sort of switch to "Man, women are awesome!" But while that might be a valid interpretation of someone discovering their sexuality for the first time, some players might prefer to play with the perspective of "I've known what I like since before puberty and dude's aren't on the list!" If it's not justified by the narrative (ie, a game which is literally ABOUT someone discovering their sexuality for the first time), it's probably a pitfall that should just be avoided by being careful about how things are narrated, or just giving a dialogue choice flag for whether or not you've been with someone before.
Right, again! I wanted to get to the story without the quandary of "oh, shit, I'm GAY?" Especially when the MC will shortly have to say "oh, shit, there's MAGIC?", which also is why I largely cut down the typical "struggling with the new reality" portion of the MC learning about the supernatural -- Spending a lot of time showing the MC disbelieving or coming to grips with magic is like watching Uncle Ben or Bruce Wayne's parents die again. We've already seen that setup, we can just get to the good stuff. Rain was a convenient gateway; the Fae did a little mind trickery, but it turned out to be you just accepting the truth too readily.

Though that doesn't exactly absolve Rain of her perpetual shadiness, does it...?

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
One way I described this game to my non-porn gaming friends is "like the World of Darkness, without the darkness."
"The World of Insufficient Light"

Spending a lot of time showing the MC disbelieving or coming to grips with magic is like watching Uncle Ben or Bruce Wayne's parents die again. We've already seen that setup, we can just get to the good stuff. Rain was a convenient gateway; the Fae did a little mind trickery, but it turned out to be you just accepting the truth too readily.
Personally I kind of just liked the idea that the MC is so utterly chill and blase (possibly influenced by years of being an Internet nerd/gaming geek) that Rain's magic had absolutely nothing to do with it, and they're just like "Yep, sure, magic, makes sense" on some level. It's like, sometimes, when you hear something that's an objective Truth (with a capital T), you just instinctively know it's true.

Either that, or maybe being a Beacon has led to a life of being a bit of a weirdness magnet even before they became aware of it (childhood best friend and girlfriend both turning out to be supernatural implies it was certainly twisting Fate's threads a bit even before the current story). So they've been subconsciously primed to accept the revelation even without knowing it.

That being said, that sort of "Yeah, sure, whatever, let's just roll with it" reaction does sort of fit a more comedic, fun tone for a story than having the main character spending six chapters futilely denying that magic is real or refusing to accept each new detail, no matter how many ridiculous things you've heard or seen so far.

Reactions: AelphysTerra

Nine of Swords

Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
That being said, that sort of "Yeah, sure, whatever, let's just roll with it" reaction does sort of fit a more comedic, fun tone for a story than having the main character spending six chapters futilely denying that magic is real or refusing to accept each new detail, no matter how many ridiculous things you've heard or seen so far.
So my original concept was to have the MC not believe anything was supernatural. Literally nothing. Every single thing she saw would be rationalized scientifically in her mind, and it would just piss everybody off. And then later on, she would use the scientific rationality of her perceptions against the supernaturals themselves -- but I felt like that'd make her kinda unlikeable as well as distract from the whole story, so I scrapped making her the MC. She's still in Mythos, she's just not Kylie.

Abibliboop

Oct 21, 2018
So my original concept was to have the MC not believe anything was supernatural. Literally nothing. Every single thing she saw would be rationalized scientifically in her mind, and it would just piss everybody off. And then later on, she would use the scientific rationality of her perceptions against the supernaturals themselves -- but I felt like that'd make her kinda unlikeable as well as distract from the whole story, so I scrapped making her the MC. She's still in Mythos, she's just not Kylie.
Shucks. it would have been fun playing an utter skeptic. 8^D

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020

Mythos Friday Update - October 8th, 2021

The cat looks suspiciously interested in Lisa's experiment:unsure::LOL:. Did not notice last week but quite a few of the scenes are named after songs(wonder if that has some inpact on how they play out:unsure:), also i might have to rewatch Ah, My Godess! now, but its a good anime so it will be fun.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes