VN Ren'Py Mythos: Book One [v5.0.1 Hotfix] [Nine of Swords]

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017
Okay, okay... so what I think I may be hearing is... maybe y'all would want to see a prequel story about Tara and Ky going on a road trip and the interactions they have before Book One begins?

If I write that story though, I must warn you -- it will be under the assumption that Kylie is the MC! There won't be any romance in it anyway (because regardless of gender, Ky has no idea Tara has feelings until the night of Lisa's funeral), but I know some people may think it's "ruined" by not having their version of Ky.

On the other hand, I think most of you showing interest in that kind of slice-of-life thing are already playing as Kylie...

Let me know! It'll give me something to write while I'm slacking off at work diligently dissecting spreadsheets.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Okay, okay... so what I think I may be hearing is... maybe y'all would want to see a prequel story about Tara and Ky going on a road trip and the interactions they have before Book One begins?

If I write that story though, I must warn you -- it will be under the assumption that Kylie is the MC! There won't be any romance in it anyway (because regardless of gender, Ky has no idea Tara has feelings until the night of Lisa's funeral), but I know some people may think it's "ruined" by not having their version of Ky.

On the other hand, I think most of you showing interest in that kind of slice-of-life thing are already playing as Kylie...

Let me know! It'll give me something to write while I'm slacking off at work diligently dissecting spreadsheets.
Hype intensifies...
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
I must warn you -- it will be under the assumption that Kylie is the MC!
There is an option besides Kylie:unsure::LOL:

awesome-yes.gif

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
it will be under the assumption that Kylie is the MC!
You seem to have lost me here....

There is only Ky!

If I write that story though, I must warn you -- it will be under the assumption that Kylie is the MC! There won't be any romance in it anyway (because regardless of gender, Ky has no idea Tara has feelings until the night of Lisa's funeral),
I think those of us that would be interested in that are more interested in seeing them interact than romance.

Don't get me wrong, romance plays a huge part of the game but if we're talking road trip banter then i'm not looking for deep heart to hearts on what we love about each other more listing all the reasons why Britney Spears would not make relaxing travelling tunes.

but I know some people may think it's "ruined" by not having their version of Ky.
Something like that is pure fanservice and fanservice will only ever appeal to certain people in that fandom.

We're talking about 2 girls on a long-ass boring road just talking and banter. There is no sex, no romance and it only includes one of the protags and one of the games LI's before she was an LI.

It's just a bit of fun and something that adds to the overall world building and characters rather than something i'll be whipping out my rampant rab to and plowing through a 4 pack of duracell.

It's more along the lines of "we love these characters and would love to see more, please show us more, we demand more now politely request more"....

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
Only if it includes aforementioned radio shenanigans. :p

(To be honest, now I mostly just kind of want to see a fully voiced animated scene that basically boils down to both of them singing alone (likely poorly) to something like Sister Christian. But that's also because I have a pathological love of the 80s.)

It's sort of like how in the Saints Row games, there are missions where your character and Pierce just go for a drive and sing along to Sublime and MC Skat Kat. There's just something fun about that sort of chill vibe for characters who otherwise have ridiculous over the top problems. It's always fun to have that little bit of a fun time-out from more pressing concerns and dramatic events.

Bonus points if the scene ends with the two of them singing along to Werewolves of London.

but I know some people may think it's "ruined" by not having their version of Ky.
I feel like most people are a bit more mellow about "supplemental fiction" for their games. Even if a story has a main character that doesn't quite mesh with their preferred version, they can kind of accept it better in written fiction more than in the game itself. Even if there's an official "canon" version. Or just an implied semi-canon version.

As long as it's not as bad as the old Baldur's Gate novels were at getting characterization completely and utterly wrong ( :eek: ), you should be fine.

On a more serious note, I'd say you should only write something like that if it's something that honestly interests you and you think you'll have fun writing it. Don't force yourself to do it just because a couple vocal weirdos in your audience seem to be interested. I think the last thing any of us want is for you to start feeling like working on the story is more of a chore than fun. Because that kind of takes the spark out of things, and I think a lot of the charm in your story/setting comes from the fact that you clearly love the characters you've created, the world they live in, and the story you're telling about them.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
I think those of us that would be interested in that are more interested in seeing them interact than romance.

Don't get me wrong, romance plays a huge part of the game but if we're talking road trip banter then i'm not looking for deep heart to hearts on what we love about each other more listing all the reasons why Britney Spears would not make relaxing travelling tunes.

Something like that is pure fanservice and fanservice will only ever appeal to certain people in that fandom.
Years ago, I played in an online White Wolf RPG where me and two friends of mine were basically playing as three teenage girl werewolves. One of my favorite memories of that game/group was the time when we basically spent like a week straight debating back and forth in-character on the game forums about who the hottest guy in Troy was, Brad Pitt, Orlando Bloom, or Eric Bana.

For people interested in playing a game about epic monster battles and apocalyptic magical wars, I can only assume that sort of back and forth was vaguely confusing and utterly boring. And it was so mundane. But it was fantastic fun for the three of us.

Sometimes the banter is the best part.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Nine of Swords

Nine of Swords

Keeping the Legends Alive
Game Developer
Dec 17, 2017

Well, I wouldn't say a huge part; after all, you can reject all the love interests if you want. Though even my ace ass would be hard-pressed to turn down Tara in that situation...

It's more along the lines of "we love these characters and would love to see more, please show us more, we demand more now politely request more"....
That's what I'm so, so, so happy to see from people, even if it's a "vocal minority".

(To be honest, now I mostly just kind of want to see a fully voiced animated scene that basically boils down to both of them singing alone (likely poorly) to something like Sister Christian. But that's also because I have a pathological love of the 80s.)
Morgana and I were both theatre nerds... I kinda wonder if she'd be up for recording a sort of mini audio drama like this. She should probably play Tara, since she really is short (4'10") and southern...

It's sort of like how in the Saints Row games, there are missions where your character and Pierce just go for a drive and sing along to Sublime and MC Skat Kat. There's just something fun about that sort of chill vibe for characters who otherwise have ridiculous over the top problems. It's always fun to have that little bit of a fun time-out from more pressing concerns and dramatic events.
So I don't know if I mentioned this, but I love the Saint's Row games so much that it's literally the reason for my favourite colour being purple.

Bonus points if the scene ends with the two of them singing along to Werewolves of London.
Ah, dammit... now I can't do that!

I feel like most people are a bit more mellow about "supplemental fiction" for their games. Even if a story has a main character that doesn't quite mesh with their preferred version, they can kind of accept it better in written fiction more than in the game itself. Even if there's an official "canon" version. Or just an implied semi-canon version.

As long as it's not as bad as the old Baldur's Gate novels were at getting characterization completely and utterly wrong ( :eek: ), you should be fine.
I'm not familiar with the Baldur's Gate novels, but I think in the case of Ky I did my best to make their choices reflect what players wanted their version to be like, while also making Ky's general personality apparent. Like your Ky may answer things differently from someone else's Ky, but

On a more serious note, I'd say you should only write something like that if it's something that honestly interests you and you think you'll have fun writing it. Don't force yourself to do it just because a couple vocal weirdos in your audience seem to be interested. I think the last thing any of us want is for you to start feeling like working on the story is more of a chore than fun. Because that kind of takes the spark out of things, and I think a lot of the charm in your story/setting comes from the fact that you clearly love the characters you've created, the world they live in, and the story you're telling about them.
If there's anything I truly loved about working on this project, it's writing the story. I've always wanted to be a novelist, and Mythos was a novel that I turned into a game (and added sex) because I didn't think anybody would read it otherwise. That's why there's probably more first-person narration in this game than in many other adult VNs; I need to flex my author muscles a bit or it just doesn't feel right.

However, not long ago, I had a Patron angrily cancel and say it was because of all the "extra crap" I do (interviews, stories, ask the dev/cast, etc), and that kinda got me self-conscious about the whole thing. That's why I've been very hesitant to post anything other than my Friday Updates, lately.

So seeing support for that "extra crap" is really uplifting. :love: I don't see this as me just making a game, but building a world, where all of this ties together. Maybe even make an RPG some day, who knows? It'd use the FATE Core system if anything, since I'm really bad at game balancing.

Dylan741

Forum Fanatic
Nov 18, 2019
Well, I wouldn't say a huge part; after all, you can reject all the love interests if you want. Though even my ace ass would be hard-pressed to turn down Tara in that situation...

That's what I'm so, so, so happy to see from people, even if it's a "vocal minority".

Morgana and I were both theatre nerds... I kinda wonder if she'd be up for recording a sort of mini audio drama like this. She should probably play Tara, since she really is short (4'10") and southern...

So I don't know if I mentioned this, but I love the Saint's Row games so much that it's literally the reason for my favourite colour being purple.

I'm not familiar with the Baldur's Gate novels, but I think in the case of Ky I did my best to make their choices reflect what players wanted their version to be like, while also making Ky's general personality apparent. Like your Ky may answer things differently from someone else's Ky, but

If there's anything I truly loved about working on this project, it's writing the story. I've always wanted to be a novelist, and Mythos was a novel that I turned into a game (and added sex) because I didn't think anybody would read it otherwise. That's why there's probably more first-person narration in this game than in many other adult VNs; I need to flex my author muscles a bit or it just doesn't feel right.

However, not long ago, I had a Patron angrily cancel and say it was because of all the "extra crap" I do (interviews, stories, ask the dev/cast, etc), and that kinda got me self-conscious about the whole thing. That's why I've been very hesitant to post anything other than my Friday Updates, lately.

So seeing support for that "extra crap" is really uplifting. :love: I don't see this as me just making a game, but building a world, where all of this ties together. Maybe even make an RPG some day, who knows? It'd use the FATE Core system if anything, since I'm really bad at game balancing.
Daaaaw! I reached my reactions limits so...
neonheart_uvqk5k1c.gif

ClockworkGnome

Sep 18, 2021
I'm not sure someone's height actually matters for an audio drama... but at least the Southern bit is on brand. ;)

I'm not familiar with the Baldur's Gate novels
Oh, they're like memetically horrible.

In a game where you can choose pretty much any class or race and have a wide range of personality-shaping dialogue options, the author decided to represent the MC as a dullard asshole human Fighter who seemed to be suffering from some degree of brain damage. Then character assassinated pretty much every companion character and killed more than half of them off for no reason. It seems almost calculated to deliberately piss off anyone who actually liked the games.

Even if you decided to write Mythos short story fiction by dropping a cat on your keyboard and letting it walk around for about 20 minutes, it'd still be more true to your setting and characters as presented in the game than those novels were.

To be fair, there are always going to be people who are annoyed if you're not spending 100% of your time working on the game and putting out updates every other week. Social life, hobbies, sleep - these things are all unacceptable if they're taking time away from slaving over the game. Now lock yourself in your office and you're not allowed to leave until the next update is finished.

As long as you don't hit George RR Martin or Patrick Rothfuss levels of putting off finishing your main project you're probably fine.

LorgarAurelian

Dec 31, 2020
However, not long ago, I had a Patron angrily cancel and say it was because of all the "extra crap" I do (interviews, stories, ask the dev/cast, etc), and that kinda got me self-conscious about the whole thing.
You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
The ''extra crap'' is (for me at least) a big part of making the Mythos world, feel like an actual world I would like to visit like Azeroth or Tyria.

HogRocket

Engaged Member
Jun 8, 2020

You could always do it as a non-canon side story:unsure:....NO WAIT!....alternate dimension story! A dimension just like this one, except this whole story never happened and Kylie and Tara got together anyway!:love:....and you can put them in a purple truck!

KylieTaraTruck.png

damnedfrog

Nov 11, 2020
But seriously, if you want to write a side story, it's great.

It's sad that some people can't enjoyed the world you are creating around your VN.
It gives much more depth to the game.

Avaron1974

Resident Lesbian
Aug 22, 2018
I think I speak for those of us interested when I say fuck that guy right in his gaping slutty mangina.

Imagine getting mad because the creator of a story wants to add more world building .... what a cockwomble.

4.80 star(s) 63 Votes