PaganWarlord

Jan 5, 2019
I really liked Free Cities, up until the rules system was changed to the point where you needed a degree in programming to set them up.

Gonna watch this game, see where this goes.
The old complexity vs accessibility dilemma. With the amount of stuff in FC, especially modded, the over-engineered rules system is a must to give players a chance to run more than 10 slaves in any non-vanilla setting given the amount of parameters each slave is represented by.

Doing it manually can be fun too, but FC was never about personal slave training, it was about managing the whole arcology, and given the balance there was pretty much no way to sustain yourself from rents and trade only and not rely on whole army of slaves keeping you in the green.

The universal compromise would be to increase complexity when needed along with implementing new parameters, but keep something like predefined rules presets for common slave treatment approaches, and maybe some unlockable with future societies. The downside is it would require updating those presets each time there are new options added and I can't imagine it being a fun prospect.

Let us wait and see, the hope is, since this game is not limited to html UI, with some work and plenty of clever planning, the rules manager won't be an untameable beast.

Lost_Eternity

Jun 23, 2020
I like the idea… Yet, I’m rather skeptical about it, mainly because I don’t recall a single similar project that succeeds (Maybe I’m wrong?).
That kind of project takes A LOT of time and effort to become somehow more-less playable and usually dev’s losing their enthusiasm after some time and the project goes back into the void.
Well, I «hope» that this project will be successful, and I «hope» that I’m wrong about it…
And yet… Logic tells me that everything will be as always.
Anyway, I wish good luck to the dev with this project.

Reactions: Legionary JR-586

racove

Aug 28, 2020
these are the best images you have to show how the game is? , its like a you tuber that dont know how to make a cover for the video
and end up not attracting viewers, i pass

Last edited:

Legionary JR-586

Legionary of a lost legion.
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
First of all, thank you all for the feedback! So....

Hey Legionary JR-586, how many updates you think that the game will have until whe have all the basics of the game? For example the days, adquiring slaves, selling, sex, societies, a little of story, etc? I'm not talking about full complex stuff, but the basic (like the basic freecities).
  1. I plan releasing 2 more demo versions, not counting small updates, before a basic game (Demo v4.0).
  2. Days, end turn, passage of time and a calendar are already implemented.
  3. Buying/Seling slaves, a simple basic slave market, with slave values, in end of demo phase (release v1.0).
  4. Sex. Models and animations are in place. Just need to make the "scene"/"context" (ex. slave inspection).
  5. Little story and or intro story, end of demo phase (release v1.0).

Let us wait and see, the hope is, since this game is not limited to html UI, with some work and plenty of clever planning, the rules manager won't be an untameable beast.
The rules system was ok, not malleable, but ok. The good people of the pregmod have done a great job expanding it, but still some of the rigidity of the base game remains.

As interesting as it might seem, I don't think that this one will even get close to the base game (the best mods for HTML Free Cities are a completly different beast) - not without cutting corners, content and customisation options. If not the game will be like 100GB and released in 2050 or so...
"100GB and released in 2050".... hey, i'm not making a triple A game here! :geek::LOL: This is not StarCitizen....

I like the idea… Yet, I’m rather skeptical about it, mainly because I don’t recall a single similar project that succeeds (Maybe I’m wrong?).
That kind of project takes A LOT of time and effort to become somehow more-less playable and usually dev’s losing their enthusiasm after some time and the project goes back into the void.
Well, I «hope» that this project will be successful, and I «hope» that I’m wrong about it…
And yet… Logic tells me that everything will be as always.
Anyway, I wish good luck to the dev with this project.
picard.jpg
Yes it will take a LOT of time and effort. Will this project be a grandiose, almighty game? Nope! Can't promise all the things. But i will take a shot at making the best game i possible can. All i can do is ask you to remain "hoping" and keep watching.
star-wars-4.png

If they can get in contact with the people who work on the Pregmod version of Freecities and then port everything to this 3D version it will then be truly awesome but that would be a huge undertaking.
evil.jpg

Last edited:
  • Red Heart
Reactions: AlexTorch

Lost_Eternity

Jun 23, 2020
Yes it will take a LOT of time and effort. Will this project be a grandiose, almighty game? Nope! Can't promise all the things. But i will take a shot at making the best game i possible can. All i can do is ask you to remain "hoping" and keep watching.

Well, at least it’s a realistic point of view. The main thing in this kind of projects - realistically estimates the amount of work you’ll need to do, or you’ll burn out on the half-way to playable alpha.

But anyway, everything started somewhere.

We’ll see.

Nixi~

Apr 25, 2018
These visuals would look great if you used 2d art instead of 3d renders (at least for the buildings and backgrounds). I know that'll have some impact on modding, but I think the game will feature bloat more than it already is if you add anything more than what is currently available from the pregmod.

If you want a reference, you could make the Arcology and it's respective upgrades separate images from the background biomes from your starting choice location, similar to Stellaris and how they implement their city visuals with different worlds.

taler

Oct 5, 2017
These visuals would look great if you used 2d art instead of 3d renders (at least for the buildings and backgrounds). I know that'll have some impact on modding, but I think the game will feature bloat more than it already is if you add anything more than what is currently available from the pregmod.

If you want a reference, you could make the Arcology and it's respective upgrades separate images from the background biomes from your starting choice location, similar to Stellaris and how they implement their city visuals with different worlds.
But 3d is cheaper than 2d. That's why most games use 3d.

Reactions: Rexaureus

taler

Oct 5, 2017
First of all, thank you all for the feedback! So....

1. I plan releasing 2 more demo versions, not counting small updates, before a basic game (Demo v4.0).
  2. Days, end turn, passage of time and a calendar are already implemented.
  3. Buying/Seling slaves, a simple basic slave market, with slave values, in end of demo phase (release v1.0).
  4. Sex. Models and animations are in place. Just need to make the "scene"/"context" (ex. slave inspection).
  5. Little story and or intro story, end of demo phase (release v1.0).

The rules system was ok, not malleable, but ok. The good people of the pregmod have done a great job expanding it, but still some of the rigidity of the base game remains.

"100GB and released in 2050".... hey, i'm not making a triple A game here! :geek::LOL: This is not StarCitizen....

View attachment 820100
View attachment 820113

View attachment 820118
Looking forward to 0.4 then. Nice job so far mate.

czertik

Apr 25, 2018
Choosing what you'll be saving costs on, especially for a game like this is important. I believe that choosing the Arcology (the thing you'll be spending the most time looking at) is a poor decision.
well, improving 3d models/renders is allways easier than on 2d models.

• Thinking Face

Lost_Eternity

Jun 23, 2020
well, improving 3d models/renders is allways easier than on 2d models.
That depends on many factors here, such as “Can you draw?” or what engine you’re using, for example, unity has pretty good 2d animator, that can turn one simple static 2d image in a fully animated character pretty easily. I’m not even saying about some paid unity plugins for 2d animations.

Aside from the fact that for 3d you need meshes and textures and you should be able to do 3d modeling yourself.

It’s hard to tell what is more difficult, honestly.

TurboShark

Jan 14, 2018
I mean, the guy who made the original FC just kind of showed up out of nowhere and put out a hugely complex game. And then some other guy(s) showed up and heavily modded the game so much that almost none of the original code exists in it. No reason another dev can't come along and change engines to make it 3D.

3.80 star(s) 4 Votes