Legionary JR-586

Legionary of a lost legion.
Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
These visuals would look great if you used 2d art instead of 3d renders (at least for the buildings and backgrounds). I know that'll have some impact on modding, but I think the game will feature bloat more than it already is if you add anything more than what is currently available from the pregmod.

If you want a reference, you could make the Arcology and it's respective upgrades separate images from the background biomes from your starting choice location, similar to Stellaris and how they implement their city visuals with different worlds.
Choosing what you'll be saving costs on, especially for a game like this is important. I believe that choosing the Arcology (the thing you'll be spending the most time looking at) is a poor decision.
well, improving 3d models/renders is allways easier than on 2d models.
That depends on many factors here, such as “Can you draw?” or what engine you’re using, for example, unity has pretty good 2d animator, that can turn one simple static 2d image in a fully animated character pretty easily. I’m not even saying about some paid unity plugins for 2d animations.

Aside from the fact that for 3d you need meshes and textures and you should be able to do 3d modeling yourself.

It’s hard to tell what is more difficult, honestly.
It does matter the choice of "art". I as a developer have to chose my strengths and weaknesses, and i have to admit mine. My "drawing" skills are pathetic (you have heard about programmer art?), however my image manipulation are ok. My modelling skills are miserable, however i'm quite capable of manipulating exiting models and create variants or even something different.

I have to chose my battles, and things i can do, and in the end the result will be a mixture of them both. Thank you all, for the feedback.

this is my first post, so yeah. dude i have to watch this
I'm honoured.
giphyMarlon.gif

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
I mean, the guy who made the original FC just kind of showed up out of nowhere and put out a hugely complex game. And then some other guy(s) showed up and heavily modded the game so much that almost none of the original code exists in it.
What? Where?

Reactions: Rexaureus

Nixi~

Apr 25, 2018
It does matter the choice of "art". I as a developer have to chose my strengths and weaknesses, and i have to admit mine. My "drawing" skills are pathetic (you have heard about programmer art?), however my image manipulation are ok. My modelling skills are miserable, however i'm quite capable of manipulating exiting models and create variants or even something different.

I have to chose my battles, and things i can do, and in the end the result will be a mixture of them both. Thank you all, for the feedback.
I don't know if it's an option, but maybe try to commission some art? Even if you don't end up implementing it into the game, you could use it as a concept image to help you give an idea of how you want the game/arcology to look.

Reactions: Legionary JR-586

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
I don't know if it's an option, but maybe try to commission some art? Even if you don't end up implementing it into the game, you could use it as a concept image to help you give an idea of how you want the game/arcology to look.
I know and i have some friends that can give me some pointers, and i will commission art assets (ex: new icons) as soon as i have the means to.

Reactions: Rexaureus and Nixi~

i107760

Sistersitting / Housesitting Developer
Modder
Game Developer
Nov 1, 2016
What? Where?
He's talking about "FreeCities Pregmod", you can google it and find the gitgud repository for it. Not allowed on this site due to underage content. The main focus right now is rewriting the game from SC to JavaScript, and DOMifying most things. I've contributed a little to Pregmod, development for it is really active, 10+ people doing things.

I feel the text-based nature of FC is one of its strengths. Still, good luck with your project.

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
He's talking about "FreeCities Pregmod", you can google it and find the gitgud repository for it. Not allowed on this site due to underage content. The main focus right now is rewriting the game from SC to JavaScript, and DOMifying most things. I've contributed a little to Pregmod, development for it is really active, 10+ people doing things.

I feel the text-based nature of FC is one of its strengths. Still, good luck with your project.
Oh, i misunderstood then.. i thought the FCAuthor was back. I know about pregmod of course.

D

Deleted member 2187765

Good work.

How will scenes and events work? Content development for this game could be sped up if these things can be outsourced to people on this forum.

joethebeast

Sep 17, 2017

One key aspect to feedback is to listen for the problems, not the solutions. Because people don't really know how difficult or how much time consuming their ideas are. But they know what they like and what they don't. So, I think your approach is quite correct and optimal.

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
Good work.

How will scenes and events work? Content development for this game could be sped up if these things can be outsourced to people on this forum.
Thank you. Events and scenes will be like in "Free Cities". At the end of the turn you will have events and/or planed events. Ex: "This week was the celebration of X/commemoration of X, this happened to you(scene), how will you respond(choices) => effects (sex scene and/or city influence)".

But they know what they like and what they don't.
Listenig to the people is the most important. "...what they don't", yes! And this above all.

So, I think your approach is quite correct and optimal.
Thank you.

atimo42

Oct 18, 2018
Not a fan of 3D graphics, but the things that are planned so far (based from the demo) are nice. I like that you keep the turn-based system too.

Grimtown

Engaged Member
Donor
Game Developer
May 23, 2020
Dear Legionary JR-586 , I see the tags of this post differ from the tags in the "Genre" section. Do you keep the "Genre" tags updated? Could you maybe add a line with planned tags as well? That way a friendly mod could update the current post tags.

megaera

Nov 12, 2016
This might just be the game i played the most of these types of games, bar none. Very enthousiastic about this project and i have all the well wishes for your success my friend. It one hell of an endeavour.

Thjis

May 19, 2017

I doubt I am adding any new ideas here. Is there any way you can code this so you can drop in images from other unity programs? There are tons of Unity games and images out there, if I as a player could cut them out and add them into Neo Free Cities.. you would not have to do much in the way of "people" and it would duplicate one feature of Free Cities, the ability to manipulate the images for the slaves. I figure the community would end up making character packs and a player would have more control over their game. If you have to code everything, you end up with ugly characters like Lab Rats 2, where they all look pretty much the same.

Legionary JR-586

Game Developer
Jul 26, 2020
I'm excited to see where this project goes. Free Cities was one of my favorite games both management and text-based-wise.
This might just be the game i played the most of these types of games, bar none. Very enthousiastic about this project and i have all the well wishes for your success my friend. It one hell of an endeavour.
Yes, i too have dumped many hours on this game, and even more hours once i started playing pregmod.

I doubt I am adding any new ideas here. Is there any way you can code this so you can drop in images from other unity programs? There are tons of Unity games and images out there, if I as a player could cut them out and add them into Neo Free Cities.. you would not have to do much in the way of "people" and it would duplicate one feature of Free Cities, the ability to manipulate the images for the slaves. I figure the community would end up making character packs and a player would have more control over their game. If you have to code everything, you end up with ugly characters like Lab Rats 2, where they all look pretty much the same.
You mean something like slave maker or whore master? Essentially your are talking about mod supoprt. There are something's i need to get a grasp on, before i handle mod support so I don't plan on having mod support, not on this release at least..

NeverSolus

Dec 29, 2017
Kinda hate leaving my lurky-corner, but this one needs it; Keep it up. This is one of the few projects in here that genuinely excites me. You have a hard road ahead of you, and you are beset on all sides by criticism and failure; Behold, despite this trial you have untaken greatness! You do the work of god in this place.

TL-DR: Cool. Thanks. Keep it up. @(#$ the haters, etc etc.

Lou111

Jun 2, 2018
When I play Free Cities I try to make it where slaves have better lives than even the middle class. Like "This one is branded as a slave of the archology so her education is far superior than that of the average citizen." I hope that the restrictions on education for slaves currently can be altered at some point. I want to turn the hierarchy on its head, cause that shit is Fun. I want my girls to have more pocket money than everyone else cause thats how I roll man.

Last edited:
3.80 star(s) 4 Votes