Orlu

Dec 10, 2018
Actually, Aquila isn't even a name. It's the Latin work for battle standard. I guess, in that sense, it would lean towards the masculine although, both the Greeks and Romans had a feminine and masculine war deity.
It's Latin for eagle, and was used for their eagle-statue battle standards. Regardless of what war deitites they worshipped, it's a gramatically feminine noun.

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
It's Latin for eagle, and was used for their eagle-statue battle standards. Regardless of what war deitites they worshipped, it's a gramatically feminine noun.
And regardless of its grammatical gender in its original language when used as a name in another language 1000s of years later, it can be used for whatever gender the name giver sees fit.

Dr.TSoni

May 20, 2022
And regardless of its grammatical gender in its original language when used as a name in another language 1000s of years later, it can be used for whatever gender the name giver sees fit.
Aquila it is still used now in Italian for eagle

Reactions: motseer

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
You are correct. The "eagle" or Aquila became a sort of slang for the Roman Legion battle standard. Instead of calling it "the battle standard" they called it "the eagle". Of course, as you point out, it was also the word for a bird species. As far as name gender goes, I'm not sure how much that applies in modern days but, again, you are correct in that many languages have a feminine and masculine version for words and names. English, however, does not.

risky0

Oct 7, 2022
Meh it wasn't nice that the only good looking LI in the game was the victim of a cuck scenario.
What LI said about her boyfriend while she was making love to Mc made me sick.

The LIs are all terrible, the ugly milf who orders the assassination who wants you dead, the sex addict doctor with no moral compass, the whore who assassinates you and almost kills you...

Since I didn't pay a dime for this game, I'm going to reject all LIs and keep playing just because I'm curious about the ending.
Fuck the capital and the village ending, it's probably the third ending I'm looking for...

• Haha
Reactions: Teddy 369

pizbia

Sep 17, 2017
Actually, Aquila isn't even a name.
it akshually is because there's historical Roman guys named Aquila lol, it's basically like how we name guys "Leo" despite it meaning "lion," when we hear the name now we don't think good old Leo DiCaprio is literally a lion who only eats women under the age of 25, we just use the name for dudes because it sounds cool.

I love Aquila the character, and it was really just a harmless note, it's not like I'm telling the guy to redo his game, in fact I think it's one of the most interesting ones on the site, honestly I assumed someone into Roman history would've taken it as intended as a harmless and slightly humorous comment

it passes for a woman's name now because of the "a" at the end, but as a Roman name it was probably meant to sound like a real hard man's name since it means "eagle" and they loved their fuckin eagles, which is why I commented on the irony, that's all lol

Last edited:

TigerWolfe

Engaged Member
Oct 19, 2022
it akshually is because there's historical Roman guys named Aquila lol, it's basically like how we name guys "Leo" despite it meaning "lion," when we hear the name now we don't think good old Leo DiCaprio is literally a lion who only eats women under the age of 25, we just use the name for dudes because it sounds cool.

I love Aquila the character, and it was really just a harmless note, it's not like I'm telling the guy to redo his game, in fact I think it's one of the most interesting ones on the site, honestly I assumed someone into Roman history would've taken it as intended as a harmless and slightly humorous comment

it passes for a woman's name now because of the "a" at the end, but as a Roman name it was probably meant to sound like a real hard man's name since it means "eagle" and they loved their fuckin eagles, which is why I commented on the irony, that's all lol
I'm just a fan of the linguistics discussion your post spawned. I'm always down for a linguistics tangent.

motseer

Engaged Member
Dec 17, 2021
The only famous (Ancient) Roman using Aquila I've heard of was Marcus Flavius Aquila but his actual name was just Marcus Flavius. Aquila was added to the end as an honorary since he was the one who recovered the lost standard of the 9th Legion. Thus, he became known as Marcus Flavious "The Eagle". I couldn't find an instance of someone named Aquila before him. After him you can find Aquila used as both given name and surname so, he might have been the first. That's just from a bit of google research so, far from a scholarly opinion.

• Wow
Reactions: HornyyPussy

Das_Peanut

Oct 7, 2021
Well, akshually, the word has multiple meanings. It's both the male name Aquila (masculine nominative) and eagle or legion standard (both feminine nominative, the latter by metonymic expansion – the banners were topped with eagle statues).

aquila.JPG

aquila2.JPG

Here's the thing, though: Roman women did not normally bear any individualizing first names ('cognomia') and most women during the Republic had only their father's gentile name (a surname of sorts) in the feminine form (which, for Aquila, is also Aquila – though occasionally Aquilaria in the genitive).

Also: a) the game is not set in ancient Rome; b) modernly, Aquila has, in some places, been used as a female name (things and languages change); and c) Aquila is just a badass name. So, all in all, thumbs up. Also, I should be working.

Edit:

The only famous (Ancient) Roman using Aquila I've heard of was Marcus Flavius Aquila but his actual name was just Marcus Flavius. Aquila was added to the end as an honorary since he was the one who recovered the lost standard of the 9th Legion. Thus, he became known as Marcus Flavious "The Eagle". I couldn't find an instance of someone named Aquila before him. After him you can find Aquila used as both given name and surname so, he might have been the first. That's just from a bit of google research so, far from a scholarly opinion.
Aquila was both a cognomen (v.g., Aquila Romanus, grammarian) and a gentile name (v.g., Pontius Aquila, tribune).

Maviarab

Devoted Member
Jul 12, 2020
Sooo....just me then who has been imagining HP as a Bond villainess all evening?

HP: Good evening Mr.....
Bond: Bond....James Bond.
HP: Ahhh the elusive Mr. Bond, I've been looking forward to meeting you...
Bond: And you must be...
HO: Horny...
Bond: ...I bet you are....
HP: ...Pussy...
Bond: Chokes on his drink

Last edited:

S1nsational

Engaged Member
Mar 31, 2022
Does the realism or not of the name really matter? They're all playing pretend to be from an empire that was ancient even before the apocalypse they're living in the post-apocalypse of.

It's like poking holes in Caesar's Legion in Fallout: New Vegas.

edited to change it to the correct fallout game

Last edited:

HornyyPussy

Message Maven
Apr 26, 2020
Sooo....just me then who has been imagining HP as a Bond villainess all evening?

HP: Good evening Mr.....
Bond: Bond....James Bond.
HP: Ahhh the elusive Mr. Bond, I've been looking forward to meeting you...
Bond: And you must be...
HO: Horny...
Bond: ...I bet you are....
HP: ...Pussy...
Bond: Chokes on his drink
I LOVE IT! :ROFLMAO:

I'd debate the villain"ess" part of it but eh, I'll take it :)

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: Maviarab

Reniere

Aug 5, 2019
My only problem with MC is so small that makes the small pepe people of this world into big dick energy.
My problem is MC's haircut lol went from Hold my dick to My lady, ass haircut lol could at least left it semi short long
but went full comb over.
Hair matched the MC's face with scar better but comb over with scar isnt it. but like i said
small
Still enjoyed the game

4.70 star(s) 97 Votes