Fan Art No More Money Fan Art

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Was about to do a bunch of renders of Beatrice, when I saw a new update to DAZ Studio. So like an idiot, I upgraded to 4.20 of DAZ, made sure my nVidia driver is current and viola, no renders! So what we have is that nVidia made a change to how Thin Film is rendered and Beatrice uses OOT Charlene Hair. Charlene hair renders black no matter what color is chosen. Not all OOT hair has this issue abut a lot do, also some materials that use black opacity maps have issues. She will have to wait while I check for a fix or work on other characters that still work.

Also Ghost Lights are broken and probably won't be fixed as DAZ always thought that Ghost Lights should never have been a thing. We are all going to have to learn to work with mesh lights only.

And no, I am not going back to DAZ 4.16, I'll just wait until there is a fix for the iRay rendering changes or PA's upgrade their assets.

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
Was about to do a bunch of renders of Beatrice, when I saw a new update to DAZ Studio. So like an idiot, I upgraded to 4.20 of DAZ, made sure my nVidia driver is current and viola, no renders! So what we have is that nVidia made a change to how Thin Film is rendered and Beatrice uses OOT Charlene Hair. Charlene hair renders black no matter what color is chosen. Not all OOT hair has this issue abut a lot do, also some materials that use black opacity maps have issues. She will have to wait while I check for a fix or work on other characters that still work.

Also Ghost Lights are broken and probably won't be fixed as DAZ always thought that Ghost Lights should never have been a thing. We are all going to have to learn to work with mesh lights only.

And no, I am not going back to DAZ 4.16, I'll just wait until there is a fix for the iRay rendering changes or PA's upgrade their assets.
I read about the reports of Daz problems so I will wait till until they are sorted.

MrPerson28475

Game Developer
Nov 25, 2020
I started having problems with Daz 4.16 just rendering black, but when I got 4.20 I was sorted and able to render again.

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
I started having problems with Daz 4.16 just rendering black, but when I got 4.20 I was sorted and able to render again.
Just rendering black could mean that you have too much in your scene one way past that is to use the gpu+cpu together or delete assets from the scene

MrPerson28475

Game Developer
Nov 25, 2020
Just rendering black could mean that you have too much in your scene one way past that is to use the gpu+cpu together or delete assets from the scene
It would not even render a couple of primitive shapes just black, really weird because it was fine up until a couple of weeks ago. Still, I am back rendering in my own little world so I am happy. thanks for replying.

Reactions: Old Dog

Old Dog

Message Maven
Donor
Jul 20, 2017
It would not even render a couple of primitive shapes just black, really weird because it was fine up until a couple of weeks ago. Still, I am back rendering in my own little world so I am happy. thanks for replying.
I am doing a render myself just now with water effect,so this could be fun or a nightmare

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Charlotte uses OOT Lary Hair and it has issues with 4.20 also rendering black no matter the color.
Darlene uses OOT Neko Hair, same results.
Denise uses OOT Super Messy Updo, same results.

royalcandy

No More Secrets
Game Developer
Jun 8, 2018

Well, I was about to upgrade my Daz, but thank you! You saved me a lot of trouble.

Reactions: Old Dog

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
MrPerson28475 Are you using the OOT Hairblending shader or Iray Uber? I am finding that the Iray Uber seems to work like 99% of the time, but the OOT is broken. Unfortunately some of OOT's older hair styles look much better with the OOT Shader in place of the Uber shader.

There seems to be a lot of other issues to, like the denoiser not working.

MrPerson28475

Game Developer
Nov 25, 2020
MrPerson28475 Are you using the OOT Hairblending shader or Iray Uber? I am finding that the Iray Uber seems to work like 99% of the time, but the OOT is broken. Unfortunately some of OOT's older hair styles look much better with the OOT Shader in place of the Uber shader.

There seems to be a lot of other issues to, like the denoiser not working.
I just use what came with the hair product download. I did not use either of the hairblending presets that come with it. I have not used any other shaders to my knowledge unless they are part of the daz default nvidia Iray settings.
Screenshot (112).png
Screenshot (110).png
Screenshot (113).png
Screenshot (111).png

This is from my "Favorite Milfs" Thread and Daz 4.16 would not touch it for rendering. It would just crash to the desktop all the time. Daz 4.20, no problems.
A Few of my Favorite Milfs Shopping.jpg

Last edited:

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Okay I will try the same, but not Charlotte, not my favorite character.
And for some reason I am not alone, a lot of messages on the DAZ forums about OOT stuff not rendering.

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Quick and unimportant render to see what still works in 4.20
Emma-Lauren_4_20_F95.png
Realized after I was into the render that Emma while using OOT Sleek Ponytail, it is for G3 so it doesn't use the same Hairblending shader the newer stuff does.

MrPerson28475

Game Developer
Nov 25, 2020
m4dsk1llz This is my result.

Here I selected "Blue" hair from OOTLary hair.
Screenshot (114).png

Here is my render result with a mesh light above.
Charlotte 3.jpg

I honestly do not know why you can not seem to get the result you want.

Reactions: AbdelAdrian

m4dsk1llz

Engaged Member
Feb 13, 2019
Honestly I am stumped. I am in the process of downloading the actual install file (not the upgrade) and plan to reinstall it. Also I will experiment with added the latest OOT hair after everything else so that it is the most current.

Reactions: MrPerson28475