VN Ren'Py No More Money [v3.5.1 S3 Ep.5 GE] [RoyalCandy]

4.20 star(s) 156 Votes

SteveyP

Jul 1, 2017
Goals
$4,000 - reached! per month

I know it a lot, but it's a long time goal.
  • I can quit my job and do this full time
  • More and better content
So amm we doing this or...:whistle:
If I was a betting man, I would say he would take a month or two to see if the these pledges are consistent. He is quitting his job for this after-all. Wouldn't hold it against him if he played this smart.

Either way congrats royalcandy on a completed goal. Best of luck on your new goal and future release.

Angelius

Apr 28, 2017
One of the best developers in this sphere, a lot of skilled developers(great pictures, animations, story telling etc) on this site who are bad businessman(I am talking about communication or lack of it , managing platforms, planning etc) but royalcandy got best of both worlds. I wish him good luck further and to reach even bigger heights!

royalcandy

No More Secrets
Game Developer
Jun 8, 2018
If I was a betting man, I would say he would take a month or two to see if the these pledges are consistent. He is quitting his job for this after-all. Wouldn't hold it against him if he played this smart.

Either way congrats royalcandy on a completed goal. Best of luck on your new goal and future release.
Yes you are right. The thing is that this is not the first time I reached the goal, but we'll see what happens after the 1st of February, because usually I'm going down more than 1.000$ when a new month start and as optimistic as I am, I can't risk loosing a well paid job, especially since half of the patreon income goes back in development.
If not in assets then in computer parts. When I have started royalcandy I had a gaming laptop, then I bought a new machine, then I bought new parts, new GPUs for that machine, last year I bought a new machine with 2 x 3090 and now the plan is to buy an even better machine with 4x4090 or whatever will be released by then, because this way, I'll be able to do more renders and better animations and so on. When I started one render took 2 hours and it was not even completed, but it was good enough, now the same render takes maybe 10-30 minutes, based on different things.
Anyway we'll see soon enough how things go, but after the release on Steam, the number of patrons has increased significant, so probably if things go well, in March I'll ask for my resignation.

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Yes you are right. The thing is that this is not the first time I reached the goal, but we'll see what happens after the 1st of February, because usually I'm going down more than 1.000$ when a new month start and as optimistic as I am, I can't risk loosing a well paid job, especially since half of the patreon income goes back in development.
If not in assets then in computer parts. When I have started royalcandy I had a gaming laptop, then I bought a new machine, then I bought new parts, new GPUs for that machine, last year I bought a new machine with 2 x 3090 and now the plan is to buy an even better machine with 4x4090 or whatever will be released by then, because this way, I'll be able to do more renders and better animations and so on. When I started one render took 2 hours and it was not even completed, but it was good enough, now the same render takes maybe 10-30 minutes, based on different things.
Anyway we'll see soon enough how things go, but after the release on Steam, the number of patrons has increased significant, so probably if things go well, in March I'll ask for my resignation.
You're doing great, thanks for making this game. I'll keep directing folks to your Patreon when opportunities present themselves.

On your hardware, if funding allows, consider picking up a pair of A6000 GPUs when the Ada version releases - they will be more expensive than the 4090s, but the VRAM pool when using NVLink will give you 96GB to work with which should help significantly when posing numerous characters in a given scene, and allow you to use bigger, more performance-impacting environments. They'll likely also use significantly less power than the 4090s. Just something to consider. :)

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022

Damn, 4k/month? I do wonder what country royalcandy is from if he needed that much income to consider this a full-time occupation. But I guess constant PC upgrades are a must to stay competitive (better workstation = faster rendering and animation).

Reactions: BorgiaBou
Dec 15, 2022
Damn, 4k/month? I do wonder what country royalcandy is from if he needed that much income to consider this a full-time occupation. But I guess constant PC upgrades are a must to stay competitive (better workstation = faster rendering and animation).
Where I come from 4k is not that much, you can live, have a small house, if you bought it 10 years back, now you don't get anything for it...

Reactions: EvilGood

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Ya like Thomas said, $4k really isn't a ton and you have to keep in mind, Patreon gets a cut of it, plus taxes, etc. Honestly if I was a developer doing this on the side, I wouldn't quit my day job until I was making around $10k per month on Patreon consistently for 3-6 months. If dev is on his own (meaning he doesn't have a roommate or a spouse in the household to help with expenditures), he also has to worry about health insurance and things of that nature without anyone else to rely on. Would also be advisable to make sure he has a significant savings account on the side to account for unexpected issues and that takes time to build up. Then you also have to factor in hardware to handle the processing, and power on top of that.

Definitely lots of variables.

Bloodguard

Engaged Member
Feb 20, 2021
Is the link on the OP for the full game up to this point? Is season 2 coming to Steam at some point, or is it part of the season 1 Steam release? :unsure:

Razrback16

Jul 20, 2020
Is the link on the OP for the full game up to this point? Is season 2 coming to Steam at some point, or is it part of the season 1 Steam release? :unsure:
The OP is current version.

Season 2 is already on Steam (can buy it as DLC for $10 to add on to Season 1 which is currently free on Steam).

• Red Heart
Reactions: Bloodguard

Filipis

Nov 15, 2022
Damn, didn't realize you had that beast of a PC. I don't know why, but it feels like devs of these kinds of games use midrange PCs, and that slower development can be attributed to slower performance, but I am also learning how much time it actually takes to create a scene before the rendering itself enters the equation. Mighty impressive stuff, gotta say. Still, an update per month/2 months is more than acceptable, considering the quality of the renders and even the animations. On my way to Patreon to support you as I type this, you deserve it!

Last edited:

royalcandy

No More Secrets
Game Developer
Jun 8, 2018
Damn, didn't realize you had that beast of a PC. I don't know why, but it feels like devs of these kinds of games use midrange PCs, and that slower development can be attributed to slower performance, but I am also learning how much time it actually takes to create a scene before the rendering itself enters the equation. Mighty impressive stuff, gotta say. Still, an update per month/2 months is more than acceptable, considering the quality of the renders and even the animations. On my way to Patreon to support you as I type this, you deserve it!
Appreciate it. Well in my case a normal scene takes around 5-15 minutes to prepare. But if there are more complicated scenes it can take even 30 minutes. As for the animation, there is no rule. I've made animations in 30 minutes but also in 10 hours, so that's where the time gets wasted.
Other than that usually what I do during the day gets rendered during the night, if no animations are included.

Bibon1

Mar 26, 2022
hmm kinda hope we can either make katarina a slave and treat her like shit or just straight up shoot her in the head

4.20 star(s) 156 Votes