VN Ren'Py Not Going Back [Ch.2.2] [Cicada]

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes

AlexMpog

Oct 17, 2022
I was initially kind of against the idea because the purist in me wants the player to do everything blind, so that they have no idea what's coming, they make the decisions they would actually choose (not just pick whatever leads to a certain outcome), and so the surprises are, well, surprising. But I realized that people should also be allowed to play the game however they want.

I'd still love everyone to do a blind playthrough for their first try, and see what they end up with, but for some people that's not how they play these games. So giving an optional guide/walkthrough for those who want it is the plan, and then it's also there for people to check if they think they've seen everything or if they don't know how to get certain scenes in future playthroughs.

And I'm hoping to kind of meet in the middle with the gallery. I'll mess around with coding again soon, but I'm hoping to have one of those galleries where you can see the number of available scenes, but it doesn't show who they're with, because I'd still like to keep a little mystery in the game itself (as in, I don't want people to go into the gallery from the menu and be spoiled on any content. But the information will be available in other formats, ie the guide/walkthrough for those who want it).

Essentially, I'd like to still keep the game relatively cryptic, for lack of a better word, but provide an alternative for those who want it.
Personally I use gallery only after finishing the game, first - my canon playthrough/main girl route. With gallery I check whether I missed some content with a girl or not. The same after finishing other girl's routes. It would be really great if we could for example filter in a gallery particular girl (at least when it comes to 8 mail LIs), all other girls can be tagged "Others" or smth like that.

As for walkthrough - it's cool to play blind, I do it sometimes, but, it's so subjective. I mean what can be obvious for you - is not for me, and vice versa.

For example I play the game and want to get on a girl's path, while interacting with her I have choices - gentle/romantic OR rough/jerk options, naturally I would go with 1st option, but, apparently - I had to go with more jerk-ish choices cause the girl likes it rough. You see, so when you establishing possible choices. you as Developer already know what type of a personality LI has, because you created this character, unfortunately not all players can read between lines while playing. It's a bit rough example though.

So, yeah, personally walkthrough kinda helps me to choose an approach at least with some characters at the beginning.

Damn, I am reading now what I just wrote, I hope I didn't confuse you even more with my explanations hahah.
I just woke up and got a coffee, it should get better in a bit)

Last edited:

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I was initially kind of against the idea because the purist in me wants the player to do everything blind, so that they have no idea what's coming, they make the decisions they would actually choose (not just pick whatever leads to a certain outcome), and so the surprises are, well, surprising. But I realized that people should also be allowed to play the game however they want.

I'd still love everyone to do a blind playthrough for their first try, and see what they end up with, but for some people that's not how they play these games. So giving an optional guide/walkthrough for those who want it is the plan, and then it's also there for people to check if they think they've seen everything or if they don't know how to get certain scenes in future playthroughs.

And I'm hoping to kind of meet in the middle with the gallery. I'll mess around with coding again soon, but I'm hoping to have one of those galleries where you can see the number of available scenes, but it doesn't show who they're with, because I'd still like to keep a little mystery in the game itself (as in, I don't want people to go into the gallery from the menu and be spoiled on any content. But the information will be available in other formats, ie the guide/walkthrough for those who want it).

Essentially, I'd like to still keep the game relatively cryptic, for lack of a better word, but provide an alternative for those who want it.
my 2 cents when it comes to a Gallery. While it would look alot cleaner and more organized if you click on a character and see her scenes that way. I dislike that style because it tends to spoil what scenes are in X update or just how many scenes they have in general even if some are locked. I much prefer if it isn't organized but you just go through different pages of scenes, that way if there is locked ones it doesn't spoil anything if it's a character you actually care about spoilers. Tho adding a way to filter it be nice for those that don't care about a small spoiler about a scene.

At the end of the day I don't really check gallery till I finish my first playthrough but that's just more or less my preference cause of spoilers especially for a game like this where it seems easy to miss scenes. As I rather check how many scenes ive missed but not with who

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Personally I use gallery only after finishing the game, first - my canon playthrough/main girl route. With gallery I check whether I missed some content with a girl or not. The same after finishing other girl's routes. It would be really great if we could for example filter in a gallery particular girl (at least when it comes to 8 mail LIs), all other girls can be tagged "Others" or smth like that.

As for walkthrough - it's cool to play blind, I do it sometimes, but, it's so subjective. I mean what can be obvious for you - is not for me, and vice versa.

For example I play the game and want to get on a girl's path, while interacting with her I have choices - gentle/romantic OR rough/jerk options, naturally I would go with 1st option, but, apparently - I had to go with more jerk-ish choices cause the girl likes it rough. You see, so when you establishing possible choices. you as Developer already know what type of a personality LI has, because you created this character, unfortunately not all players can read between lines while playing. It's a bit rough example though.

So, yeah, personally walkthrough kinda helps me to choose an approach at least with some characters at the beginning.

Damn, I am reading now what I just wrote, I hope I didn't confuse you even more with my explanations hahah.
I just woke up and got a coffee, it should get better in a bit)
Yeah, I get what you mean overall. Those first two sentences are exactly how I tend to play games as well. I'll always do a blind run first, and that'll always be the first one I play when a new update drops. You should see the state of my 'main' Being a DIK playthrough. I feel like I've made dozens of mistakes that are gonna fuck me over there.

For me it was always about not wanting to spoil anything. But then I realized that people who really care about this sort of information would probably look it up anyway, so it's easier for for everyone really if there's a walkthrough, gallery etc. available, and people can use it if they want.

The character bit is interesting too. I'd never want to 'Alex's Pen' anyone, to coin a phrase. Essentially, block off a whole route or option without even giving a hint as to what the correct choice should have been. With the main girls I hope it'll be relatively clear what they are and aren't into, and I'm not really going to massively punish a player if you do make one mistake, for the most part. There might be some exceptions I can't think of right now. But mostly, for main girls, it should be pretty simple to get on their path; if you like them, you'll probably naturally make the right choices. Just like in real life, just don't overthink it.

Last edited:

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
my 2 cents when it comes to a Gallery. While it would look alot cleaner and more organized if you click on a character and see her scenes that way. I dislike that style because it tends to spoil what scenes are in X update or just how many scenes they have in general even if some are locked. I much prefer if it isn't organized but you just go through different pages of scenes, that way if there is locked ones it doesn't spoil anything if it's a character you actually care about spoilers. Tho adding a way to filter it be nice for those that don't care about a small spoiler about a scene.

At the end of the day I don't really check gallery till I finish my first playthrough but that's just more or less my preference cause of spoilers especially for a game like this where it seems easy to miss scenes. As I rather check how many scenes ive missed but not with who
So I've actually just planned out a rough idea for the gallery. My plan is to have each scene titled, which will be visible, but it'll be locked with a generic image until you see the scene, then it'll unlock with like a still preview of the girl in the scene so you can see which is which. I'm not planning on grouping them by character, unless there's a way to do that only after they unlock (maybe in a separate menu somewhere idk. Maybe on the character screen I'm planning? Not sure).

Mild spoiler for the prospective titling system, with examples: The titles are going to be quotes from the scenes, or the buildup/aftermath, whatever I think fits best. So Mia's shower scene is currently listed as "I'd Join You", Chloe's is "Fuck Subtlety!", Tegan's is "Wow", Lauren's is "Challenge Complete", and Mia's is "Just ... Relax". They're short and vague enough that it doesn't give anything away, but that are notably relevant to the character overall or scene specifically.

I've got work in progress titles for scenes in chapter 3 too, I haven't decided specifically yet because I've not made the scenes, but if you want a potential spoiler of those too One is currently listed as either "You Care" or "So Bad" or "Here. Now". And one is "Payback" or "Try Me". Have fun working out the context for any of those. Or even who they could be with.

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
So I've actually just planned out a rough idea for the gallery. My plan is to have each scene titled, which will be visible, but it'll be locked with a generic image until you see the scene, then it'll unlock with like a still preview of the girl in the scene so you can see which is which. I'm not planning on grouping them by character, unless there's a way to do that only after they unlock (maybe in a separate menu somewhere idk. Maybe on the character screen I'm planning? Not sure).

Mild spoiler for the prospective titling system, with examples: The titles are going to be quotes from the scenes, or the buildup/aftermath, whatever I think fits best. So Mia's shower scene is currently listed as "I'd Join You", Chloe's is "Fuck Subtlety!", Tegan's is "Wow", Lauren's is "Challenge Complete", and Mia's is "Just ... Relax". They're short and vague enough that it doesn't give anything away, but that are notably relevant to the character overall or scene specifically.

I've got work in progress titles for scenes in chapter 3 too, I haven't decided specifically yet because I've not made the scenes, but if you want a potential spoiler of those too One is currently listed as either "You Care" or "So Bad" or "Here. Now". And one is "Payback" or "Try Me". Have fun working out the context for any of those. Or even who they could be with.
I really like this idea. Seems like a good way of doing it. Now on to guessing the scenes for fun ( I know you won't give any away)

So bad : My guess is with Bobbie
You Care : Rachael would be my guess tho I think Imogen could work here as well, Hell even Chole good work but don't think it would make sense
Here Now : Mia or Tegan tho could be a few others as well haha.
Payback or Try me : Rosie only one that comes to mind

Damn those were vague enough that it's hard to guess but fun trying

rafaaa

Apr 8, 2022
Renders are good and story it can be interesting. Hope that the game has more choices and that the choices have impact on the story and the relations with the girls, hope there is more choices to choose (instead of 2 to have 3) in the future,hope that the girls arent all slutty,hope there is more girls (add some side girls to LIs list if possible ex: rachael,mariah,Chloe,Lucy, Melody,Rainn,etc). The game has potential but the dev cant get lost on the story,have more choices with impact on story and relations with girls. The name of save on renpy forlder because appears as Three.

Last edited:

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Hello! Just put a dev log out on itch that I'm cross posting to here for those interested

Two weeks ago, I released Chapter 2 of Not Going Back. After over a year of hard work, the reception I've received for the update was almost overwhelming, really. Chapter 1 had been positively received generally, but I was a bit concerned that over a year's wait for the release of Chapter 2 would naturally lead to less interest. However, it's certainly seemed like that wasn't the case, because it's been amazing seeing so many new people discover the game, and so many people in general play and enjoy the new update. Some of the comments I've received have made me even more proud of what I'm creating here, and, trust me, I believe things will only get better here as I improve and take on the constructive criticism I've received as well.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Speaking of the next update, work on Chapter 3 is well underway. At the moment I can't really ballpark how big it's going to be. Chapter 1 was around 1400 renders, but Chapter 2 was over 3300. I've got the whole chapter mapped out, and most of it written, and it'll certainly be closer to Chapter 2 size than Chapter 1, but at the moment I have no real inclination as to whether it will end up being a bit smaller, similar size, or even bigger. What I can say for sure is that there will be significantly more branching and decision-making in Chapter 3 (particularly with regard to relationships). Chapter 2 already contained some consequences for actions and different branching paths, and Chapter 3 expands on this. It's a little overwhelming to keep track of at the moment, trying to make sure everything remains consistent and that there's no continuity errors anywhere. I'm going to have to do a lot more testing before releasing Chapter 3, that's for sure. But that's also way in the future.

Lastly, I want to offer a sincere thanks to those of you reading this. And to anyone who has given the game a try. It's strange, really, because this game has been a big part of my life for over two years, now, so having it out there is kind of an odd experience, knowing that people are now playing it. But, as I mentioned before, seeing the positive response I received for the new update made the last year of work all absolutely worthwhile. Reading what people have had to say about the game and the characters is one of my favorite things to do now, especially now that people have two chapters worth of information to talk about. So a thanks again to everyone who's played it, and a special thank you to those who've offered you opinion. It's truly appreciated, and one of the best parts about creating something.

I'd love to say I've got some previews of Chapter 3 to share with this first dev log, but that'll have to wait for next time when I've got a bit more variety to show.

Also, I'm going to try and keep dev logs more frequent this time around. Thank you all for reading

Justaphase

May 1, 2024
Hello! Just put a dev log out on itch that I'm cross posting to here for those interested

Two weeks ago, I released Chapter 2 of Not Going Back. After over a year of hard work, the reception I've received for the update was almost overwhelming, really. Chapter 1 had been positively received generally, but I was a bit concerned that over a year's wait for the release of Chapter 2 would naturally lead to less interest. However, it's certainly seemed like that wasn't the case, because it's been amazing seeing so many new people discover the game, and so many people in general play and enjoy the new update. Some of the comments I've received have made me even more proud of what I'm creating here, and, trust me, I believe things will only get better here as I improve and take on the constructive criticism I've received as well.

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

Speaking of the next update, work on Chapter 3 is well underway. At the moment I can't really ballpark how big it's going to be. Chapter 1 was around 1400 renders, but Chapter 2 was over 3300. I've got the whole chapter mapped out, and most of it written, and it'll certainly be closer to Chapter 2 size than Chapter 1, but at the moment I have no real inclination as to whether it will end up being a bit smaller, similar size, or even bigger. What I can say for sure is that there will be significantly more branching and decision-making in Chapter 3 (particularly with regard to relationships). Chapter 2 already contained some consequences for actions and different branching paths, and Chapter 3 expands on this. It's a little overwhelming to keep track of at the moment, trying to make sure everything remains consistent and that there's no continuity errors anywhere. I'm going to have to do a lot more testing before releasing Chapter 3, that's for sure. But that's also way in the future.

Lastly, I want to offer a sincere thanks to those of you reading this. And to anyone who has given the game a try. It's strange, really, because this game has been a big part of my life for over two years, now, so having it out there is kind of an odd experience, knowing that people are now playing it. But, as I mentioned before, seeing the positive response I received for the new update made the last year of work all absolutely worthwhile. Reading what people have had to say about the game and the characters is one of my favorite things to do now, especially now that people have two chapters worth of information to talk about. So a thanks again to everyone who's played it, and a special thank you to those who've offered you opinion. It's truly appreciated, and one of the best parts about creating something.

I'd love to say I've got some previews of Chapter 3 to share with this first dev log, but that'll have to wait for next time when I've got a bit more variety to show.

Also, I'm going to try and keep dev logs more frequent this time around. Thank you all for reading
Just to add my own two cents. As I said a few days ago I really enjoyed this one and I look forward to seeing hopefully much more of it.
However I feel like you may be giving yourself a hell of alot of work going forward having so many LI's (Love Interests) in the game. Could you confirm exactly who the LI's are? As there are many beautiful girls in the game that the MC interacts with.
It may not seem like that much work now early on but when you are trying to branch out all of the different girls, make them all interesting and give them all the same screen time it's surely going to slow down your development time.
Personally I would rather have a handful (4 or 5) unique and interesting girls as main LI's, but I can't speak for everyone of course. You could still have side girls who are mostly just hookups without a relationship path, I mean it is college after all.

Reactions: cicadaNGB

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
Just to add my own two cents. As I said a few days ago I really enjoyed this one and I look forward to seeing hopefully much more of it.
However I feel like you may be giving yourself a hell of alot of work going forward having so many LI's (Love Interests) in the game. Could you confirm exactly who the LI's are? As there are many beautiful girls in the game that the MC interacts with.
It may not seem like that much work now early on but when you are trying to branch out all of the different girls, make them all interesting and give them all the same screen time it's surely going to slow down your development time.
Personally I would rather have a handful (4 or 5) unique and interesting girls as main LI's, but I can't speak for everyone of course. You could still have side girls who are mostly just hookups without a relationship path, I mean it is college after all.
He put it in the dev notes in the OP, buddy.

8 LI.

I can't remember where the actual post is, but he confirmed the 8 were Bonnie, Bobbie, Tegan, Mia, Ava, Alice, Ellie, Imogen.

Screenshot 2024-09-03 185119.png

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
The main 8 are Alice, Ava, Bobbie, Bonnie, Ellie, Imogen, Mia, Tegan. So interestingly enough, in my first draft, so to speak, there was only going to be 6 main LIs. But two initial side girls got elevated while making chapter 1, each for a different reason.

There will be side girls too for that exact reason that you said, and a path of sorts if you want to pursue none of the main LIs (but this won't open up relationships with side girls, they'll always just be casual).

I think up until we're at a point in the game where the paths are set and the player knows which route they're one it'll be a bit tricky with branching, and add to development time, but once we're past that point it will probably clear up a bit. I don't think I'm going to go into Intertwined, or, more extremely, Our Red String levels of branching. It's just getting a bit more complex with ch3 than it has been so far.

The main thing I think to remember here is that I'm not going to give each main girl equal screen time, because their stories are different, the relationships are different, and those both progress at different times. Some side girls will get more screen time than main girls at points. The real differentiation between main and side LIs here is that main LIs are present at the ending (and that you'll form a real, exclusive relationship with them).

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
He put it in the dev notes in the OP, buddy.

8 LI.

I can't remember where the actual post is, but he confirmed the 8 were Bonnie, Bobbie, Tegan, Mia, Ava, Alice, Ellie, Imogen.

View attachment 3995635
haha this dev makes some good characters if I want to add 2 more to that line up and 8 is already alot. I don't know if I would trade any of them for Rachael or Rainn even tho I do like them a bit more than a few of the main girls lol.

The main 8 are Alice, Ava, Bobbie, Bonnie, Ellie, Imogen, Mia, Tegan. So interestingly enough, in my first draft, so to speak, there was only going to be 6 main LIs. But two initial side girls got elevated while making chapter 1, each for a different reason.

There will be side girls too for that exact reason that you said, and a path of sorts if you want to pursue none of the main LIs (but this won't open up relationships with side girls, they'll always just be casual).

I think up until we're at a point in the game where the paths are set and the player knows which route they're one it'll be a bit tricky with branching, and add to development time, but once we're past that point it will probably clear up a bit. I don't think I'm going to go into Intertwined, or, more extremely, Our Red String levels of branching. It's just getting a bit more complex with ch3 than it has been so far.

The main thing I think to remember here is that I'm not going to give each main girl equal screen time, because their stories are different, the relationships are different, and those both progress at different times. Some side girls will get more screen time than main girls at points. The real differentiation between main and side LIs here is that main LIs are present at the ending (and that you'll form a real, exclusive relationship with them).
not gonna lie I like this approach and kind of sad about at the same time. Since that means 2 of my favorite side girls won't get a ending tho I assume it will be made clear in the future and make sense why they won't get an ending. Tho I think I just feel that way because im feeling a bit biased and wish Rainn would get an ending despite not knowing enough about her. She just made a very strong first impression on me that I wish for one haha. But from the one interaction with her I can 100% understand why she wouldn't be a LI for a exclusive relationship.

Last edited:

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
haha this dev makes some good characters if I want to add 2 more to that line up and 8 is already alot. I don't know if I would trade any of them for Rachael or Rainn even tho I do like them a bit more than a few of the main girls lol.

not gonna lie I like this approach and kind of sad about at the same time. Since that means 2 of my favorite side girls won't get a ending tho I assume it will be made clear in the future and make sense why they won't get an ending. Tho I think I just feel that way because im feeling a bit biased and wish Rainn would get an ending despite not knowing enough about her. She just made a very strong first impression on me that I wish for one haha. But from the one interaction with her I can 100% understand why she wouldn't be a LI for a exclusive relationship.
I'm going to do at least 6 paths, not really sold on Ellie or Imogen, so I guess if we were allowed I'd trade those 2 out for Rachael & Rainn. Lol.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023

Man, this isn't going to help, but there's so much I wish I could say right now. And it's all so far away.

Justaphase

May 1, 2024
I think an important thing to remember is that you can't please everyone. Some people are going to be disappointed that a side girl is not a main girl, but that is the same with pretty much every AVN. Just stay true to the vision that you have for the game.
As long as I can have Mia, I'm happy. :love:

Reactions: AlexMpog

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I'm going to do at least 6 paths, not really sold on Ellie or Imogen, so I guess if we were allowed I'd trade those 2 out for Rachael & Rainn. Lol.
Actually surprised you are not sold on Imogen she made a strong impression on me hell id go as far to say I kind of like her more than Mia and not at the same time. I feel like I can't really say who I like more Mia or Imogen truth be told for my #1. I like Imogen's character alot more but feel like im a bit more biased towards Mia. Tbh the only main girl im not sold on yet is Alice and Bobbie they are the 2 I need to see more of for sure. I need to see more of Ellie too but ive seen enough to know she is a path for me.

Alice im only unsure of because not sure if is she is that sweet LI that I rather keep as a friend or not. Then Bobbie she seems she could be to much of a party girl for me not sure yet id need to see more. While yeah yeah Tegan is a bit of a party girl too but ive seen a side of her outside of the party girl personality that I do like , Bobbie is a bit of unknown for now for me. But you know me I play every path even if I dont like a character it takes alot for me to skip a path.

metamorphMP

Jan 6, 2024

Can you tell who were those 2 side girls that you promoted to a main LIs in a process?

I am really curious now.

• Thinking Face
Reactions: MiltonPowers

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
I think an important thing to remember is that you can't please everyone. Some people are going to be disappointed that a side girl is not a main girl, but that is the same with pretty much every AVN. Just stay true to the vision that you have for the game.
As long as I can have Mia, I'm happy. :love:
Yeah don't worry. If you want a little look behind the curtain, Mia was the first character I conceptualized for the game, way back at the end of 2021. She's never going anywhere.

And I've definitely got a vision I'm gonna stick to. We'll see how many people stick with it when the time comes.

• Red Heart
Reactions: Justaphase

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Man, this isn't going to help, but there's so much I wish I could say right now. And it's all so far away.
not gonna lie maybe im reading to much into this but this makes me feel like someone like Rainn could end up dead at some point or something just as dark to another side girl.

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023
Yeah don't worry. If you want a little look behind the curtain, Mia was the first character I conceptualized for the game, way back at the end of 2021. She's never going anywhere.

And I've definitely got a vision I'm gonna stick to. We'll see how many people stick with it when the time comes.
I'll be there, multi monogamous paths are right up my alley. And I've got 6 LIs I really like right here, plus a couple of side girls. So you'll have at least one person along for the ride till the end.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Can you tell who were those 2 side girls that you promoted to a main LIs in a process?

I am really curious now.
Sure. Little bit spoilery maybe, idk. Initially Ellie and Tegan were not main girls. Ellie got promoted because I loved working with her character model, I found myself really liking the renders of her. So I shifted a story from somewhere else that would work with her character, and then wrote more of her into ch1. Tegan got promoted because I enjoyed writing her dialogue in chapter 1, I felt like her character dynamic was worthy of being a main LI, as well as her story, which I felt could work as a main LI plotline

I'll say it wasn't a last minute decision to promote the extra 2 main LIs, I made sure I felt like it was worth doing. And they were already relatively prominent side characters. I do have a promo image with just the original six that is dated back in June 2022 as a test for something, I don't remember exactly what.

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes