VN Ren'Py Not Going Back [Ch.2.2] [Cicada]

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Just finished this game, will post a review later but wanted to post some of my thoughts.

First I will say I loved this game not sure where id rank it just yet but in the higher side of my list can see it making it's way into my top 10.

This game gave me a BAD feel but more serious and toned down which I really liked. I really can't wait to learn more about the MC's past and some of the other characters as well. Also I found the characters that did get some love are really good so far. While there are others I liked but need to see more. I really like how this game it doesn't feel like you are stuck with the same characters but a bit of everyone to actually make it seem like the world is alive and other people exist beyond the MC and his potential LI.

My only real criticism so far isn't that there is alot of characters but there are some that is hard to tell if they are a Main Girl , Side Girl , or just a background characters. For example I read Rachael isn't a Main Girl yet she didn't give me side girl vibe either. I assumed she was a main girl from what little ive seen of her so far. Tho this criticism is probably because this game is only on it's second chapter and the game needs more time for them to be made clear.

Also is there an official list of who is and who isn't a Main girl a bit hesitant to make to many saves right now until I know who is what. I can guess a few that will be save bets and a few im a bit unsure of.

Speaking about the girls I typically not big on LI that are easy to sleep with or this quickly in a game unless it's a harem or something. Yet with all the interactions or character deveolopment we have gotten so far I didn't mind one bit in this game. As the sex scenes felt like they came on pretty naturally and not because they are glued to the MC's dick. As it felt like the LI that did sleep with him had a genuine like of the MC because of who is and his character and not because of the MC. If a game is gonna have early lewd scenes that isn't with a side girl hell even if they are with a side girl this is the way to do it. As I was already invested or liked their character where the lewds were welcomed even if I would personally like to take things a bit slower haha.

Also the sex scenes were great especially for a game that has no animations. As I felt the renders showed some hot looking renders ( tho a few times I wish there was an animation cause it was really hot to look at haha). Then within the sex scene could feel a bit of character deveolopment , character or personality which is something that was a surprise for sure. Like during Mia's sex scene she was hesitant to give a blowjob like it freaked her out or something. It's clear to me she has some kind of trauma I can't wait to learn about.

Speaking of trauma , I really loved how there are some characters with some issues or trauma but they come across in a way that makes them a bit interesting. The crazy thing is we haven't even scratched the surface with alot of other characters yet so I can't wait to see what we find out.

lol this ended up being alot longer than I thought and still isn't my full review for when I actually post it.

Now here is what I think of the girls so far

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.
Finally got the time to properly read through this comment. Firstly, thanks for playing and leaving such a detailed comment, and I'm glad you enjoyed it.

BaD was definitely an inspiration. It was one of the first AVNs I played back towards the end of 2021. I do worry sometimes that some elements of my game are going to lean too heavily on that inspiration, but I'm hoping that people won't just end up seeing this as a knock-off or whatever. At the end of the day a college game is a college game so there's bound to be similarities somewhere. BaD is also more comedy focused than I'm making this game (not that BaD doesn't have serious moments too, of course), so your comment that this is kinda like a toned down version is pretty accurate.

The character and world building was something I prioritized for the first two chapters in particular because as I've said before I wanted the game to feel fairly real. I also wanted the player to realize that the characters have their own lives and goals they're getting on with, and that while the MC is the main character, he's the main character of his own life, not everyone's else's. I felt like that was necessary to create a compelling story. I feel like it's hard to care about a character that feels one-dimensional.

This in part causes the confusion between main and side LIs. As you say, as the game goes on the main LIs will become more prominent, but I did also want to obfuscate this deliberately a bit to make player choices mean more. I would like, at least on a first playthrough, the player to just be making the choices they would make, without thinking about the importance of a character. Just take the information given, make the decision they want to make, and see what happens. For similar reasons, the player only really knows what the MC knows. I'm not cutting away to other character's conversations where the MC is not present. I'm deliberately withholding some information, or giving it through possibly unreliable sources (i.e. other characters), so that the player doesn't know everything.

I like to think that I've done a good job of not making the sex scenes feel to rushed or out of nowhere. Now, the game is set in college, after all, so in future chapters there may be a bit more spontaneity but I am focused on making the relationships feel genuine.

On the trauma/issues bit, like you mentioned before, the game in parts leans towards being a bit more serious than maybe some college-setting games do, and of course the MC himself is clearly working through some stuff. So without spoiling anything I'll say that this is a prevalent theme throughout the game. Not every character will have like a major issue, though, it's worth saying.

Thanks again for the comment, was very interesting to read through, particularly about specific girls. I always enjoy seeing what people think about certain characters so far. And have also just seen your review as I finish this, thank you for that as well

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
So after seeing the 2 lewd scenes I missed on my first playthrough im 100% gonna make a save where my MC is a bit of an asshole now. I didn't pick any of the rude / asshole remarks or hide the truth about his past on my first playthrough. As those 2 lewd scenes I missed kind of feels like the MC is leaning towards that way considering who he does sleep with and how it seems to cause some issues with 1 character.
Which one you mean, the Chloe one ?
Because in that one he doesn't come over as asshole imo.

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
This in part causes the confusion between main and side LIs. As you say, as the game goes on the main LIs will become more prominent, but I did also want to obfuscate this deliberately a bit to make player choices mean more.
How do you plan to handle side girls ?
I mean, they are of course different from girl to girl, less important, less content etc. But more as fuck buddies only or will a couple of them have some kind path were you can have a ending with ?

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Which one you mean, the Chloe one ?
Because in that one he doesn't come over as asshole imo.
Yeah idk I felt like an asshole after not during the lewd scene with her because I either forgot or had no idea Nathan liked her. While I would of still done it to see the scene just to see it as it wasn't my main save. The scene where Nathan is upset and Chole is ashamed of what she did and giving the MC the cold shoulder and avoiding him took me as a surprise and made me feel like I fucked up and I am a bit of an asshole on that save for going along with it.

Edit: Granted the MC wasn't really being an asshole but I get that feeling from it so it's perfect for an asshole save I think

Last edited:
Reactions: Raziel_8

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
Yeah idk I felt like an asshole after not during the lewd scene with her because I either forgot or had no idea Nathan liked her. While I would of still done it to see the scene just to see it as it wasn't my main save. The scene where Nathan is upset and Chole is ashamed of what she did and giving the MC the cold shoulder and avoiding him took me as a surprise and made me feel like I fucked up and I am a bit of an asshole on that save for going along with it.

Edit: Granted the MC wasn't really being an asshole but I get the feeling from it so it's perfect for an asshole save I think
I found both of their reactions pretty amusing to be honest.
For one, i don't considere Nathan a friend. Then the MC was pretty drunk after that drinking challenge before.
The more important reason was, as Chloe came onto the MC i asked the fuck she's doing, than i asked again what about Nathan, as she pretty much said 'fuck Nathan', i just thaught the guy fucked up somewhen and didn't really care.

Chloe reaction of avoiding the MC and giving him the cold shoulder i find kinda a strange reaction (the giving him the cold shoulder part), as if he did something wrong/fucked up, not her...
Nathan's i found to be a mix of pure hypocrisy, as well as ironie and had to laugh.
Like the guy was totaly ready to fuck some girl for the hazing, or did, if you rejected the challenge. And as the MC pointed that out the answer you got was 'who cares, nobody would have cared, just some fuck'.
Not sure if Chloe would have thought the same, or his reaction if Chloe fucked someone for the hazing.
Ironie because the 'who cares, just some fuck' was excatly my thoughts as i agreed to fuck Chloe and what would i have answerd him :LOL:

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I found both of their reactions pretty amusing to be honest.
For one, i don't considere Nathan a friend. Then the MC was pretty drunk after that drinking challenge before.
The more important reason was, as Chloe came onto the MC i asked the fuck she's doing, than i asked again what about Nathan, as she pretty much said 'fuck Nathan', i just thaught the guy fucked up somewhen and didn't really care.

Chloe reaction of avoiding the MC and giving him the cold shoulder i find kinda a strange reaction (the giving him the cold shoulder part), as if he did something wrong/fucked up, not her...
Nathan's i found to be a mix of pure hypocrisy, as well as ironie and had to laugh.
Like the guy was totaly ready to fuck some girl for the hazing, or did, if you rejected the challenge. And as the MC pointed that out the answer you got was 'who cares, nobody would have cared, just some fuck'.
Not sure if Chloe would have thought the same, or his reaction if Chloe fucked someone for the hazing.
Ironie because the 'who cares, just some fuck' was excatly my thoughts as i agreed to fuck Chloe and what would i have answerd him :LOL:
yeah I agree with what you said just the aftermath was what gave me that asshole vibe not that the MC really was one or anything cause what you said is correct. Then I doubled down and fucked Benji's sister, since that was the other scene I missed haha.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
How do you plan to handle side girls ?
I mean, they are of course different from girl to girl, less important, less content etc. But more as fuck buddies only or will a couple of them have some kind path were you can have a ending with ?
There won't be endings with side girls. That's the big difference between main and side LIs here. Main LIs will have actual relationships and paths to the end, side LIs won't have established relationships. Some will have more than one scene, though, but more will be one-off flings if you want to just fuck around. There will be a 'solo' path, too, for if you don't like (or mess up with) every main LI, or for if you just want to fuck around with side girls the whole time

Raziel_8

Engaged Member
Dec 4, 2017
yeah I agree with what you said just the aftermath was what gave me that asshole vibe not that the MC really was one or anything cause what you said is correct. Then I doubled down and fucked Benji's sister, since that was the other scene I missed haha.
I will keep the fucked Chloe in my main run and see it more as not my problem thing...maybe buy some popcorn and watch the show :whistle:
Well, Benji is kinda fine with you fucking his sister...but then, he's kinda mentally challenged, eh, as long he's happy :LOL:
I did the scene, but honestly i don't find his sister attractive, or cared about her, overall the weakest sex scene imo.

There won't be endings with side girls. That's the big difference between main and side LIs here. Main LIs will have actual relationships and paths to the end, side LIs won't have established relationships. Some will have more than one scene, though, but more will be one-off flings if you want to just fuck around. There will be a 'solo' path, too, for if you don't like (or mess up with) every main LI, or for if you just want to fuck around with side girls the whole time
Kinda sad, i didn't expect them anywhere cose to the main ones, but Lucy or Rain, maybe Molly would have been interesting, even if it was just some sub route.
But than it would likely increase your workload by a lot, so kinda understandable.

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
I will keep the fucked Chloe in my main run and see it more as not my problem thing...maybe buy some popcorn and watch the show :whistle:
Well, Benji is kinda fine with you fucking his sister...but then, he's kinda mentally challenged, eh, as long he's happy :LOL:
I did the scene, but honestly i don't find his sister attractive, or cared about her, overall the weakest sex scene imo.

Kinda sad, i didn't expect them anywhere cose to the main ones, but Lucy or Rain, maybe Molly would have been interesting, even if it was just some sub route.
But than it would likely increase your workload by a lot, so kinda understandable.
The side girls will still have varying importance to the story and get a decent amount of screen time. Just like how Rachael and Chloe have gotten more screen time so far than some main LIs, other side girls will get some focus here and there

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017

Funny thing is I did find his sister unattractive cause of the crazy hair mostly lol at least compared to the rest yet I was starting to like her a little bit she seems like a decent character. Yeah her scene is the weaker of them all but I still like it.

Yeah same I really wanted Rainn to have some kind of path ( tho I was hoping she was a main girl) as she seems just as interesting as Imogen to me as a character

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Rainn is special. She's intriguing for a reason. I'm glad I've seen so many people comment on her.
haha a comment like this just making me more impatient and can't wait for more Rainn scenes. I know ive said this already but great game I really love your approach and insight on things in this one. Once it gets more updates I can see this being one of the better games out of the ones I consider a favorite.

Reactions: cicadaNGB

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Something that was mentioned back with the original release of ch1, and I've seen mentioned again with ch2, is some sort of status screen/character sheet type of thing to help people keep a better track of things. I was originally a little hesitant, but I've decided that it's something worth making, even if it's just a character sheet with basic information. I'll try and implement it into the game itself, but coding is by far my weakest point so it may just be a separate PDF download or something like that.

What I wanted to ask with this post is what sort of information would people want on a character sheet? Obviously if I manage to implement it in the game I could code it to update based on decisions that have been made etc., but just for the basic character overview what sort of things do people expect from something like this? Just so I don't miss anything that people would expect from a character sheet. (I'll also have a look around other games for examples)

Simpgor

Apr 18, 2020
What I wanted to ask with this post is what sort of information would people want on a character sheet? Obviously if I manage to implement it in the game I could code it to update based on decisions that have been made etc., but just for the basic character overview what sort of things do people expect from something like this? Just so I don't miss anything that people would expect from a character sheet. (I'll also have a look around other games for examples)
IMO some of the "main" things would be things useful to the player "in game" such basic info like their name or year, their house (or lack thereof), their relations to other characters (non choice dependent ones), in this category would also be "useless" fun facts that inform us about the character but might be hard to work into the story (ie favorite movie/activity).

The other main thing would be sexual stats (measurements, favorite act.....uhhhh other things i guess? :HideThePain: ) Then like you said something to show what they have gotten up to that was dependent on the MC choices (helps people when updates come imo)

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Something that was mentioned back with the original release of ch1, and I've seen mentioned again with ch2, is some sort of status screen/character sheet type of thing to help people keep a better track of things. I was originally a little hesitant, but I've decided that it's something worth making, even if it's just a character sheet with basic information. I'll try and implement it into the game itself, but coding is by far my weakest point so it may just be a separate PDF download or something like that.

At the very least I think this should be included
Picture of the girl , name , any nicknames , sorority , a bit about their personality / traits , siblings ( as long it won't spoil anything)

(optional) maybe a small bio would be nice but isn't needed, maybe classes they they are taking just cause it's a college AVN , maybe some basic likes and dislikes would be nice too

These are ones I can think of if you do include it in game but not sure how hard it is to code.

the relationship status, with the MC ( friend with benefits , girlfriend or single) , Their feeling towards the MC base on choices maybe but this might be a bit complicated. So if you make to many bad choices maybe can see they hate the MC for example or vis versa.

unsure how you going to handle relationships with other male characters If you do plan to allow some LI to get in relationships with other guys and have the player find out about it or know about it them. I think another good for in game only would be BF's / relationship with other guys or who they like. But this also might be something you want to stay away from to cause people might be calling NTR for no reason just cause they see the status even if said character isn't a LI or anything.

MiltonPowers

Forum Fanatic
Jul 26, 2023

This is possibly overkill, but as an example

screenshot0005.png

Then you click to a short bio

screenshot0006.png

And a list of choices player made

screenshot0007.png

• Red Heart
Reactions: AlexMpog

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Noted, thanks guys. I will say the only thing here I definitely won't include is a bio (at least not one that detailed). Personally don't want to give that much background info on characters, wouldn't work with what I'm going for here. For similar reasons some characters might end up with more and less information about them, I'll have to see what I end up going with. Thanks

Justaphase

May 1, 2024
Just played through this tonight for the first time and I have to say, I'm impressed.
The MC seems interesting and good looking, which always makes me happy, he actually looks like someone who would be popular with the ladies. I'm also looking forward to learning more about his back story, it all seems pretty tragic.
And speaking of the girls, there are plenty of great looking ones to choose from, almost too many if I'm honest. I'm probably into Mia and Tegan the most at the moment, but we shall see.
I look forward to seeing more of this one in the future.

Last edited:

Bob69

Uploading the World
Uploader
Donor
Compressor
Mar 2, 2019
Not Going Back [Ch.2.2] [Cicada] - Compressed

Win/Linux [358 MB]
- - - -

Mac [324 MB]
- - - -

You don't have permission to view the spoiler content. Log in or register now.

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes