VN Ren'Py Not Going Back [Ch.2.2] [Cicada]

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
That won't actually stop them. I've seen many AVN's with a single child MC and both parents dead, where people are hitting the thread with incest? incest? incest? For some of them, they even have someone make a incest mod to turn people into relatives. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:
Oh boy. They're going to love chapter [redacted] when [redacted] gets introduced. Can already see people who'd want to mod that relationship to be different.

• Yay, new update!
Reactions: MiltonPowers

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Hello! Mentioned a few days ago that I'd be posting a dev log some time this week. That time is now. A quick little update on ch3 progress, cross-posted over from the itch page.

Hello!

Figured it was about due time for a little progress update on Chapter 3. This will be quite a short update, however, because there isn't really a whole lot to say at the moment. That isn't because I haven't been making progress, though; it's just been business as usual these past few weeks, working my way through rendering the visuals for the game.

I'm currently ~300 renders into Chapter 3, in just a little over a month of work. This is about what I aim for (with the time and hardware I have about 10 renders per day is a good average) but 300 renders a month would mean a 2400 render update in 8 months. This would be a significantly faster update than ch2 if I maintain this sort of speed, but it's always hard to predict how long things will take to pose and render. There's one particularly big scene in ch3 that will take quite a long time, and if each image in that scene renders slowly it could take months to produce. I just won't know until I get to it.

Last year, at around this time of year, I took pretty much two months off of making the game due to a combination of reasons including a busy personal life and issues with working on a slow-loading and rendering scene that felt arduous to work on. While I am once again very busy this time of year this year, the ch3 dev cycle won't contain such a long break from working on the game (at least I hope; you never really know what's going to happen). So I'm optimistically thinking that I'm going to be able to maintain this sort of development speed because this month or so since the release of ch2 has gone pretty smoothly, even with my slightly more limited free time.

The first Chapter 3 previews are attached at the top of this post[have been already posted here in a few recent posts]. I'm very excited about this update, and the future of the game generally. We're still in the first phase, and the more I work towards the big, story-defining moments I've got planned the more eager I am to press on and reach those later parts of the story. But I can't rush through the foundation. Things have to be set up properly otherwise everything just won't work. I'm very hopeful that things are going to pay off nicely in the future when I get to them, but I've got to do my due diligence now so that it all makes sense and is earned in the future. I think everyone likes to think they've got great ideas, or can tell great stories, but you don't know if you're right until you put something out there.

Let's all hope that I get this thing right, huh?

Thanks as always

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
I can't wait the wait will be worth it from what ive seen so far. Tho I know it is still a long way until then. but 300 renders a month doesn't seem that bad unless a update gonna be in the 4000 range haha. lol l like this game so much I lowkey wish it was like another game I play that does monthly releases and the render count is 200-300 for that one . But that would not work at all with this one that's just me being greedy and impatient cause this game has seriously impressed me more than most.

• Red Heart
Reactions: cicadaNGB

Justaphase

May 1, 2024
Hello! Mentioned a few days ago that I'd be posting a dev log some time this week. That time is now. A quick little update on ch3 progress, cross-posted over from the itch page.

Hello!

Figured it was about due time for a little progress update on Chapter 3. This will be quite a short update, however, because there isn't really a whole lot to say at the moment. That isn't because I haven't been making progress, though; it's just been business as usual these past few weeks, working my way through rendering the visuals for the game.

I'm currently ~300 renders into Chapter 3, in just a little over a month of work. This is about what I aim for (with the time and hardware I have about 10 renders per day is a good average) but 300 renders a month would mean a 2400 render update in 8 months. This would be a significantly faster update than ch2 if I maintain this sort of speed, but it's always hard to predict how long things will take to pose and render. There's one particularly big scene in ch3 that will take quite a long time, and if each image in that scene renders slowly it could take months to produce. I just won't know until I get to it.

Last year, at around this time of year, I took pretty much two months off of making the game due to a combination of reasons including a busy personal life and issues with working on a slow-loading and rendering scene that felt arduous to work on. While I am once again very busy this time of year this year, the ch3 dev cycle won't contain such a long break from working on the game (at least I hope; you never really know what's going to happen). So I'm optimistically thinking that I'm going to be able to maintain this sort of development speed because this month or so since the release of ch2 has gone pretty smoothly, even with my slightly more limited free time.

The first Chapter 3 previews are attached at the top of this post[have been already posted here in a few recent posts]. I'm very excited about this update, and the future of the game generally. We're still in the first phase, and the more I work towards the big, story-defining moments I've got planned the more eager I am to press on and reach those later parts of the story. But I can't rush through the foundation. Things have to be set up properly otherwise everything just won't work. I'm very hopeful that things are going to pay off nicely in the future when I get to them, but I've got to do my due diligence now so that it all makes sense and is earned in the future. I think everyone likes to think they've got great ideas, or can tell great stories, but you don't know if you're right until you put something out there.

Let's all hope that I get this thing right, huh?

Thanks as always
Be careful to not burn yourself out and take care of yourself. Creating art takes time, I would rather wait a while and get something quality and actually worth playing than something that feels rushed.
I am intrigued to see where you are going to go with the main story, but at the same time please try and give as much or perhaps even more attention to the romance and relationships with the LI's. Even though I'm a guy, I am a sucker for a good and wholesome romance with maybe some twists and turns along the way.

• Love
Reactions: MiltonPowers

Dessolos

Devoted Member
Jul 25, 2017
Even though I'm a guy, I am a sucker for a good and wholesome romance with maybe some twists and turns along the way.
Honestly me too that's the main reason for me playing these games. something 3-5 years before getting into AVN's I started to watch some of those lame cheesy girl romance movies / tv shows and romance anime just for the wholesome romance part out of boredom and found out I liked it more than I thought. It's honestly what I value the most in these games and why I consider characters the most important thing for me over story or any other aspect. Even tho a good story is very much welcome it isn't needed for me if I can enjoy the characters alot.

While the game is only in chapter 2 I already feel the characters alot more than alot of other games. Like Mia and Tegean in most games I would of disliked how easy they were to sleep with already without the romance part. But the way it was done made me really enjoy their characters and not care about that at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Justaphase

cicadaNGB

Apr 28, 2023
Be careful to not burn yourself out and take care of yourself. Creating art takes time, I would rather wait a while and get something quality and actually worth playing than something that feels rushed.
I am intrigued to see where you are going to go with the main story, but at the same time please try and give as much or perhaps even more attention to the romance and relationships with the LI's. Even though I'm a guy, I am a sucker for a good and wholesome romance with maybe some twists and turns along the way.
Don't worry, the relationships are going to get as much focus. But I won't pretend either that the main reason for making the game is the main storyline. The LIs, relationships, other characters all developed from there. But, as I say, I think I'm planning it all out so that the relationships and romance will get significant focus too. I'm just personally more excited about what's coming in the main character's story than any of the specific relationships. That doesn't mean I'm going to cut corners or rush anything, though, or that I'm not excited about the LIs etc., because I am for sure

4.10 star(s) 7 Votes